• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. S

Cryptozoology A-Z Help

Alright, I did what research I could through Google and came up with the name "Shunka Warak’in," which I believe to be the creature in question. Unfortunately, it seems that I was right about it being near Yellowstone and NOT the Grand Canyon, which effectively brings my inquiry to a close...
  2. S

Cryptozoology A-Z Help

Does anyone happen to have a copy of Cryptozoology A-Z by Loren Coleman on hand? I ask, because there's something I recall reading in my copy (which is about 1300 miles away) that may be of benefit to me at the moment. A brief explanation - I'm currently working in the archaeology department...
  3. S

Did the Jews Originate in....Peru?

Neanderthals Well, there was a sizeable Neanderthal population in the Levant (modern day Israel), but I've never heard that particular theory. It's typically believed that Europeans have the higher percentage of Neanderthal features, though very few fnthropologists believe there's any genetic...
  4. S

Did the Jews Originate in....Peru?

Mormons Interesting. That's almost a reversal of the Mormon theory that Jews migrated to Latin America. I spent some time with the Kiowa Tribe, and certain members believed that modern Native Americans were the descendants of Jewish explorers. This particularly theory has largely fallen out...
  5. S

The Legendary Thunderbird Photo

Guys, the other Civil War photo you're all talking about is here: http://www.haxan.com/portfolio/freakyli ... UNDE~2.JPG I don't know if the other one with the canoeadactyl was from Freakylinks or not, but this one definitely was. I remember seeing it on the site, before the show ever...
  6. S

The Wampus Cat

I live in SW Missouri. I've spent a lot of time studying Ozark folklore and legendary creatures, and while it's fun to try and term them as cryptids, it just isn't the case. There are a whole slew of these things - the gowrow, the high-behind, and the jimplicute, to name a few - but...
  7. S

Kansas Evolution—Again

Personally, I'm sick of all this theory of evolution crap. Calling it a theory just paints a big red bullseye on science, and opens up the floodgates for every halfwit to say "But it's just a THEORY." What they ought to do it just change the name, officially, to the LAW of evolution, and put...
  8. S

Worst Movie EVER?

In reference to Contact, I know it wasn't REALLY her dad, I just found it to be an extremely anticlimactic ending to an already tedious movie. The alien didn't even have anything particularly interesting to say. Where was the payoff? Also, I'd like to second Natural Born Killers.
  9. S

Worst Movie EVER?

CONTACT. I sat through two hours of BS just to see where that POS spaceship takes her and the alien's her friggin' dad!! Worst ending ever.
  10. S

Hollow Earth / Inner Earth (Agartha, Etc.)

Dammit people, look. It all comes back to Lovecraft. Lovecraft, Lovecraft, Lovecraft! Read the Mountains of Madness. What do the explorers find when they reach the "hollow earth?" That's right, giant friggin penguins. And shoggoths, but that's another story...
  11. S

Petrified Wood?

Interesting. I think my mother subscribes to Awake, actually. The thing with cataclysms are, I think they're okay as long as you're talking about a crater now, but not so much when applied to something like the Grand Canyon.
  12. S

Petrified Wood?

Nope. I mostly just wondered if anyone would latch onto that.
  13. S

Petrified Wood?

Yeah, so this was on the front page today: Scientists Create Petrified Wood in Days YAKIMA, Wash. Jan 25, 2005 — Researchers at a national science laboratory in south-central Washington have found a way to achieve in days what takes Mother Nature millions of years converting wood to mineral...
  14. S

Egyptian Ruins In The Grand Canyon

Yeah, that's really the best source of info on the Grand Canyon cave. The thing is, though, he acts like he knows where it is, but he's just not telling, when in reality I'm fairly certain he has no more idea than any of us. I'd really like to do a survey of the canyon walls someday, though...
  15. S

Flatwoods Monster / Braxton County Monster (1952; West Virginia)

This one's always scared me the most. It's hard for me to put my finger on why exactly, but I think it's because, more than any other case or sighting I've read about - including the greys - this one "feels" authentic to me. I mean, if for no other reason than the fact that this is an alien...
  16. S

19th Century Mystery Airships / Phantom Airships

Yeah, there's some good airship stuff in the Mothman Prophecies. I also seem to remember some stuff in Loren Coleman's mothman book about men who flew by various unusual means (wings, jet-packs, etc). I've always been drawn to the idea that these were actual human inventors, "mad scientists"...
  17. S

Scientists hunt the ghost in the machine

Oooh, like how the UFO at Rendlesham air force base turned out to a "lighthouse." :wink: Thanks!
  18. S

Scientists hunt the ghost in the machine

Pardon my ignorance, but what is reductionism?
  19. S

The Pyramids Of Giza

I heard the great pyramid stinks. Literally, all those sweaty bodies packed into such a tight space, walking uphill... I'm just warning you!
  20. S

Weird Sex (Practices, Preferences & Accoutrements!)

Sasquatch Sex (Beware) I just had to share something that I ran across the other day (Don't ask me HOW, exactly). To be blunt, I happened onto clips of a woman fellating and having intercourse with a sasquatch. Or rather, a man in a fairly decent sasquatch costume (meaning not just your...
  21. S

Living Diplocaulus?

This thing is absolutely beautiful, and VERY realistic, but it seems... "heavy" to me. This may not make sense to anyone else, but when I look at this thing it looks too solid or something. It's like it's molded in place. I don't get the feeling that it's capable of moving or bending for some...
  22. S

Seth

Okay, so I asked a friend of mine who's really big on Egyptian stuff (to the point of actually worshipping their gods, even...) and she had this to say: "You know I have often wondered that myself, I have a book of prehistoric mammals and there are none in there that match the description...
  23. S

Horse-Men (Horse Body; Human Face)

I just wanted to add that this month's "Fate" magazine has an article on centaurs, if anyone's interested. Also, I wanted to throw another legend into the mix: I've been reading an ethnography called "Mama Lola," about voodoo, and according to the author there is a voodoo (voodou) spirit of...
  24. S

Alleged Non Human Caught on Film (in Chile)

After seeing this picture in FT's "Monsters of the Moor" issue (or whatever it was called - I couldn't afford to buy it!) I'm more convinced than ever. Sertile's verdict: nothing but a wee monkey
  25. S

I don't know all that much about the things to tell you the truth, but I do know they fit into the horse family somewhere. I believe their closest living relatives are horses, rhinos, and tapirs (tapirs probably being the closest). Their heads were a lot like a horse's, only shorter (kind of...
  26. S

Immortality!

Okay, I don't know if this has been done before, but I thought maybe we could try to pool our resources and see how many hypothetical or legendary sources of immortality we could think of. I've been trying to find a book that lists all the ways one might attain immortality, but so far I haven't...
  27. S

Chalicotherium I think some of the central americans thought that about the spaniards, too. ANYWAY, I'm about to let you people in on my own personal theory. Ya'll ready? http://www.paper-dragon.com/kelpie/kelpie.jpg That's a Kelpie, and these...
  28. S

Fortean Oklahoma

First of all, I want to let everyone know that I'm back from hiatus. I've spent most of the summer in the desert of southwestern Oklahoma, living with and studying the Kiowa, Apache, and Comanches tribes (and a couple of Otoe, too). I've been back about a week. Second, I wanted to let...
  29. S

Bottomless Pits & Holes (On Land)

... I've spent most of the summer in the desert of southwestern Oklahoma, living with and studying the Kiowa, Apache, and Comanches tribes (and a couple of Otoe, too). ... Second, I wanted to let everyone in on some fortean tidbits that I picked up from the locals during my time there. These...
  30. S

Alien video i saw years ago

The greys looked like living creatures, at least, and not just suits. Their spaceship was really hideous, though. It looked like a barn with lights on it. Also, the light that bounces around their house resembles a giant Photoshop lens flair... The odd thing about the aliens was that they...
  31. S

Alien video i saw years ago

I've seen this video you speak of. What's more, I used to own a copy, but I lost it somehow... Regardless, I can certainly vouch for it's lack of authenticity. There were some scary parts, I'll admit, and the aliens looked pretty authentic IMO, but the characters were just that. Unfortunately...
  32. S

Romero's Dead Films

4 discs?!? My Dawn of the Dead DVD has but ONE!
  33. S

Fire Carts? (Ferdinand Verbiest; Earliest Automotive Concept)

I remember reading about an emperor who built his own rocket-sled out of fireworks and a chair. He planned on shooting himself to the moon, or something along those lines. The fuse was lit, the rockets exploded, and when the smoke cleared he had vanished without a trace! One is left to decide...
  34. S

North American Mound Builders

All I know is that there used to be a LOT more Indian mounds than there are now, in Missouri, at least. Like I said, there used to be a whole Indian city on the present site of downtown St. Louis. They were thoroughly levelled, but the current issue (or maybe last month's issue) of Ancient...
  35. S

What do you need to know, Emperor?
  36. S

Found: John The Baptist's Cave

I don't understand why there would be a picture of John on the wall of his cave... I've never drawn (or carved) a crude picture of myself on any of the walls of my house. I know it was a different time, but still, it seems like a very odd thing to do. It would make more sense (to me, anyway)...
  37. S

Tunguska

Tesla I've always been a fan of the theory that Tesla inadvertantly caused the Tunguska explosion with his "death ray" (which Tesla himself seemed to believe). That doesn't mean I believe it, however.
  38. S

Underworld Entrance Found?

I'd be willing to risk a lot more if I thought there was really something to be found, but honestly, who's going to care if I debunk something like this? I was just talking to somebody about "paranormal"-type books and they were saying how the skeptical/scientific authors have a terrible time...
  39. S

Sertile's Final Report (maybe...) Well, I've been there, done that. Finally. Sorry to keep everyone in suspense for so long. To be honest, I have a sinking feeling that I might be the only one left who actually cares... Regardless, I have journeyed to the Blowing Cave of Cushman, Arkansas...
  40. S

I've been to Cahokia myself, and I concur that it is quite impressive. In addition to Monk's Mound, which stands at about 100 ft tall, there are about 100-odd other mounds in the immediate area and there used to be even more in downtown STL until they were levelled to make way for progress...
  41. S

Cahokia (Mississippian Culture Metropolis; Illinois)

I've been to Cahokia myself, and I concur that it is quite impressive. In addition to Monk's Mound, which stands at about 100 ft tall, there are about 100-odd other mounds in the immediate area and there used to be even more in downtown STL until they were levelled to make way for progress...
  42. S

Clash of the Titans - Owl

I rather like Arkansas, actually. Some parts are still pretty wild though. I'm not as accustomed to civilization as some people, but some of the stuff I've seen down there is too much even for me. The whole idea of Arkansas as a gateway area is something I'm still trying to get to the...
  43. S

Ancient Complex Machines (Evidence & Examples)

I saw a program somewhere on a man named Heron of Alexandria. The Greeks called him Mekanos, the machine-man. He lived around the time of Christ, I believe, and was responsible for inventing many amazing things, among which was a coin-operated "holy water" dispenser for the temples (like...
  44. S

A Lost City Near Roper River (Northern Territory, Australia)

Hmm... It seems to be working for me. Perhaps the site was just down for a while? I've always thought the people running Viewzone were shady characters anyhow. Every time I ever tried emailing them I got one of those mailer demons. Anome, isn't "Burrunjor" also the name of some kind of...
  45. S

All Hail Our Reptilian Overlords!

Oh hey, somebody's posting on my Reptoid thread again! I rarely ever come into the Ufology board. Those do sound like interesting stories, Hedgewizard. I'm still doing a little digging on the whole reptoid thing in my spare time. I read an interesting book recently with the generic name of...
  46. S

Why 'Grey'?

Well I always thought of them as looking more white than anything, but we can't really call them "Whites," now can we?
  47. S

Clash of the Titans - Owl

The other day I was out in a wilderness area at the Wilson's Creek National Battlefield in Southern MO with a prof. from Arkansas State and his assistant, a grad student named Jason, and this Jason claimed that, while we were coming back from the truck, getting shovels or what have you, he heard...
  48. S

Well, I'm glad to see you're all still interested! I just got back from a dig at the Wilson's Creek civil war battlefield and I'm going to be leaving for Oklahoma at the end of the month, but in the meantime I'm going to try and arrange for transportation back down to Arkansas. With any luck I...
  49. S

Is John Keel A Crank?

So just how much of Mothman Prophecies (the book) WAS fiction after all? Has anyone ever really sat down and figured this out?
  50. S

Alright people, first of all I didn't find this underground city, I just read about it. I like to travel the area in my free time and see if I can verify certain things... that said, I don't expect to find anything in particular, but I feel like it's worth checking out. There's a lot of...
Back