• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. S

Cryptozoology A-Z Help

Does anyone happen to have a copy of Cryptozoology A-Z by Loren Coleman on hand? I ask, because there's something I recall reading in my copy (which is about 1300 miles away) that may be of benefit to me at the moment. A brief explanation - I'm currently working in the archaeology department...
  2. S

Petrified Wood?

Yeah, so this was on the front page today: Scientists Create Petrified Wood in Days YAKIMA, Wash. Jan 25, 2005 — Researchers at a national science laboratory in south-central Washington have found a way to achieve in days what takes Mother Nature millions of years converting wood to mineral...
  3. S

Immortality!

Okay, I don't know if this has been done before, but I thought maybe we could try to pool our resources and see how many hypothetical or legendary sources of immortality we could think of. I've been trying to find a book that lists all the ways one might attain immortality, but so far I haven't...
  4. S

Fortean Oklahoma

First of all, I want to let everyone know that I'm back from hiatus. I've spent most of the summer in the desert of southwestern Oklahoma, living with and studying the Kiowa, Apache, and Comanches tribes (and a couple of Otoe, too). I've been back about a week. Second, I wanted to let...
  5. S

Clash of the Titans - Owl

The other day I was out in a wilderness area at the Wilson's Creek National Battlefield in Southern MO with a prof. from Arkansas State and his assistant, a grad student named Jason, and this Jason claimed that, while we were coming back from the truck, getting shovels or what have you, he heard...
  6. S

Underworld Entrance Found?

I've already attempted a shaver thread in Fortean Culture, but that was basically ignored so I thought I'd try again. [Emp edit: There was another Shaver thread so I have merged that post with the earlier one and the Shaver Mystery thread can be found here...
  7. S

Jewish Archaeological Magazine

This probably shouldn't be here, but I just have a simple question, and I don't exactly consider it Fortean Culture or Earth Mysteries. I ran across this popular-type archaeology magazine in a Barnes and Noble book store several years ago (probably around 98 or 99) that had a large cover story...
  8. S

Body-Changing TV Commercial

I used to stay up and watch the animation block on Comedy Central. Several years ago (it might have been as long ago as 97 or 98) I saw a really strange late-nite commercial that has been in the back of my mind ever since. It was an ad for this service that would transplant your mind into...
  9. S

Double-Dentition (Manticores?)

Maybe I should have posted this on the Earth Mysteries board, since all of these guys have been dug up, but since I consider it more of a biological problem I'm sticking it here. What I'm talking about here are the skeletons that keep turning up (or used to, or supposedly used to) with two...
  10. S

Cahokia (Mississippian Culture Metropolis; Illinois)

I was able to visit Cahokia Mounds over the weekend, which was the largest pre-colombian city in the US or Canada and includes one of the world's largest pyramids, as well as an enormous woodhenge and 70-something smaller mounds. There is more than one woodhenge in this world, BTW. The Native...
  11. S

Brad Steiger's "Worlds Before our Own"

I'm working on a research project involving anomalous structures throughout Oklahoma, and I'm looking for background information regarding a block wall found in a Heavener, OK, coal mine. The farthest back I've been able to trace the story is Brad Steiger's book, Worlds Before our Own, yet I...
  12. S

Alien Refugees In China?

I've heard this story before but I can't remember where. It's quite fantastic, but like all good stories it was interesting enough to leave me scratching my head and looking for more information. Supposedly, there's a "tribe" of some sort in China or Tibet that (is)/was supposed to have been...
  13. S

Unreliable sources: Pravda but also Ananova (?)

So, Ananova... Are these people BS'ing us here, or what? Their articles are always kind of interesting, or at least cute, but I can never shake the feeling that someone is blowing smoke up my you-know-what every time I read it. The constant lack of photos doesn't help, either. They'll act...
  14. S

Oklahoma Fortress / Furnace (PICS)

This is a really weird story, but it seems fairly legit. This guy and his wife found what they call a "cyclopean" fortress in the hills of southern Oklahoma. They got lots of pictures too, and samples of the masonry. The thing is, I can't tell what it is, or what it seems to be made out of...
  15. S

Larry Niven's "World out of Time"

Hey, I have a question for anyone who's read Larry Niven's "A World out of Time." (Pak Protector might know this one) It concerns the "Norn" that he meets after getting back to earth... Was she supposed to have left earth for the galactic hub BEFORE the main character, or AFTER him...
  16. S

Ground Penetrating Radar

I'm working in an archaeological field school right now, and today the topic came up of using ground penetrating radar. Someone brought it up, half-jokingly, but apparently it turns out that there are strict government regulations on the use of ground penetrating radar devices. This brings up...
  17. S

Frog Fall Car Wax!

I don't know if anybody else has seen this, but here in the States they've been showing an ad for some kind of car wax (Rain-X, or something along those lines). Anyway, it depicts a frog-fall, albeit less gory than the one in Magnolia, as "demonstration" that your car is protected from any kind...
  18. S

Demonic Conspiracy?

When I got the new issue of FT it rung up $6.66... Anybody else in the states noticed this?
Back