• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Z

The "Horror Film Gene"

Really? I'm not sure you and I are watching the same film.
  2. Z

The "Horror Film Gene"

No? So how about millionaire businessman de la Guardia and his nephew in Cronos? Or of Eric Draven in The Crow, or Edward Sissorhands, or Morpheus from The Sandman, or Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance, or Robert Smith from The Cure, or whoever else is your Panda-eyed gothic scapegoat du...
  3. Z

The Fisher King

I believe that a wound in the thigh is your basic Middle English euphemism for castration. (The other place I recall the phrase being used is in Le Morte Darthur when Sir Percival's on his grail quest. Having very nearly allowed himself to be seduced by Satan, in the guise of adisinherited...
  4. Z

The Mighty Boosh

Ain't I a rotter? Would it help if I took your mind off it by singing about soup? Super tasty soup, super spicy... (sorry, I've been watching it again)
  5. Z

The Mighty Boosh

Yeah, sorry about that, but If I've gotta suffer it then so does everyone else :wink: I love the chosen one, Loving him is fun, fun, fun...
  6. Z

The Mighty Boosh

I'd heard a couple of the radio series, and thought it was ok. But a friend of mine is slightly obsessed with Noel Fielding, so we had to go see the live show. It was really good, and I was forced to go get the DVDs, and it has really grown on me. It's just so... random. And silly and...
  7. Z

Knights and Legends

Back on the subject of the Knights sleeping under England's hills, South Shropshire has Wild Edric. Apparently, Wild Edric lead the men of Shropshire against William the Conquerer when he besieged Shrewsbury, but then suddenly surrendered, and is therefore condemned to haunt the lead mines in...
  8. Z

Knights and Legends

Hmm, that sounds familiar. *Z goes off to consult her dusty tomes* Yep, here we are. The now legendary "Phenomena: A Book Of Wonders" contains a newspaper story about the Swain family who, while driving round back roads in the New Forest, encountered a lake which had in it a boulder with...
  9. Z

David Beckham Paid Off My Mortgage!

Yeah, I've been told this story too. More or less word for word the same as the second version. It was 3 or 4 years ago, and someone told me it as something that had happened to a friend of theirs. Can't for the life of me remember who it was that told me though. Thats gonna bug me all...
  10. Z

Red eyed tall albino alien In Hampshire / Surrey area

I think it was Look and Read. But I could be wrong, I always got those two confused.
  11. Z

email chain letter

This afternoon my sister's old man forwarded me this: It's clearly the same basic email as the one in the first post, but it's been embellished a bit over the last 3 year. Also, the money on offer seems to have gone up. So, anyone know if this was on the 9 o'clock news? Or in USA...
  12. Z

Fortean Anime

That doesn't help either. I developed a slight obsession with Evangelion last summer, and came away with far more questions than answers. Seconded. This summer I am mostly obsessing about Cowboy Bebop, which is unspeakably good. But it does mean I have the damn theme tune in my head on...
  13. Z

Weird Personal Names

Heh heh-heh heh, Glasscock, heh-heh.
  14. Z

Mystery 'Lost' Items

I think I've mentioned previously about my teaspoon fairy problem. They are currently going through a returning things phase. Today I found 4 disappeared teaspoons sitting in plain sight in various places around my room. Also, this morning I was sitting in bed reading when I found the pair of...
  15. Z

Weird Personal Names

Yesterday I encountered a Mr Willie Goodwillie. And also a Mr Mycock. I probably shouldn't find this as funny as I, in fact, do.
  16. Z

Photograph

It looks like the girl from The Ring...
  17. Z

McDonald's & Mutually Assured Health-Destruction

Apparently, this is true. It was certainly taught as a fact when I was studying International Politics. It's in all the textbooks on globalisation.
  18. Z

'Six Degrees Of Separation'

Alakina Mann (who played the spooky little girl in The Others) is my second cousin. Her Mum and my Dad are cousins. I've met her twice, both occasions before her 5th birthday. AND: Jeremy Beadle's best mate used to live next door to my Gran. Beadle used to visit quite often, and was once...
  19. Z

Our house is eating things!

And now the fairies have started returning the teaspoons. Every time I walk into my room there is one sat on my desk, in plain sight, which definately wasn't there before. Hmm.
  20. Z

I've often wondered about this. Having things always going missing from here, and reading about things mysteriously turning up in other places got me to wondering if these were the same items. I have come to the conclusion that what we need is some sort of paranormal lost and found, so all the...
  21. Z

Ah, yes. The Teaspoon faeries. I've been plagued by the little buggers for years. We own a huge number of teaspoons. There should be 7 metal ones, 6 Blue handles, 6 Clear handles and 3 plastic but a search of my kitchen reveals 6 metal, 3 plastic and one blue. I havent seen any of the clear...
  22. Z

Disturbing Cartooons

Curious, you seem to have discovered a freaky 80's cartoon that completely passed me by. How did that happen? I thought I'd seen them all.
  23. Z

Tangled Cassette Tape Beside Roads

Ok, about a week ago a load of audio tape got wrapped around the doorknobs of the houses along our street. Now, I'm not stating definitively that it wasn't placed there by witches, in some attempt to curse us all, it's just that I wouldn't expect practitioners of the dark arts to be practicing...
  24. Z

Parallel Dreams

Yeah, I get false awakenings too, never whole days though, usually after about five minutes something weird will happen and I'll realise I'm dreaming and wake up, then five minutes later something else weird will happen and i'll think "No, still dreaming" and wake up again, and this will repeat...
  25. Z

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

My Dad rekons he saw one about 2 months ago: he was out on the golf course (Mile End, just outside Oswestry, Shropshire, if anyone's interested) at about 7am when he saw something black, moving in what he describes as a cat-like way and roughly the size of a Labrabor, running across the fairway...
  26. Z

Hair Colour & Personality (Redheads: Fact & Fiction)

I haven't tried henna, I might have to give it a go. Actually, I quite like the idea of making my hair orange; it'd certainly get me noticed...
  27. Z

The Book(s) That First Got You Interested In Fortean / Strange Topics

Phenomena: A book of Wonders, by John Mitchell and Bob Rickard? That was the one that did it for me. It lived on my parents bookshelf, in with the encyclopeadias and dictionaries. I used to take it down, read a couple of paragraphs, and be too scared to sleep for a week. Probably as a direct...
  28. Z

Hair Colour & Personality (Redheads: Fact & Fiction)

There are a lot of redheads in my family (My Mum and her sister, my brother and two of my three cousins). None of them I would describe as being firey. They're a pretty even-tempered bunch. My hair, when I was a baby, was really dark, almost black. It went blonde my first summer, and then...
  29. Z

Star Wars

The nice postman brought me my Star Wars DVDs this lunchtime! I'm settled in for an evening of beer, popcorn and swearing at George Lucas which I'm one third of the way through. The Jabba scene in New Hope looks better than the last version, but is still rubbish- there are still bits where...
  30. Z

Odd Sayings

Dictionary Corner... According to the Oxford Dictionary of Euphemisms: Faggot was, in obsolete English usage, a verb meaning to copulate, or as a noun, a prostitute. And the use of the word 'fag' as for a male homosexual probably derives from the idea that cigarette smokers were somehow...
  31. Z

Hypnotic Songs

For me it's A Forest by The Cure. It has to do with the bassline. Also Waltzin' Black by the Stranglers. I heard it today, and competely zoned out. Until the bit at the end with the somewhat sinister laughing and the things going Wheeee! Which rather broke the spell by totally cracking me up.
  32. Z

Escaped demon reported in Casper

I'm fairly certain demons only ever drink Aftershock. The Red stuff, obviously.
  33. Z

Weird Personal Names

I caem across a lady today who's fist name was actually, genuinely, Lettice. Also gentleman unfortuately named Mr Baldie, and a GP called Dr Pepper. And a friend of mine encountered a Christopher Fitzgibbons, which I found unaccountably amusing.
  34. Z

BBC Ghostwatch (1992 Television Pseudo-Documentary)

He also appears in the studio when Parky and the Psychologist are standing by the big tape machine listening to the recording. He appears behind her, I think, when the lights dim. I, too, remember seeing it when it was first broadcast. I was, what, 13 at the time. It scared the c**p outta...
  35. Z

Weird / Quack Folk Remedies

That talk of warts earlier in the thread reminded me of something. My Dad once told me that his mother (and/or one or other of her sisters) used to charm warts. He didn't seem to know how how she did it, but it was apparently terribly effective, and I was kinda fascinated by the idea Anyone...
  36. Z

Weird Psychological Thing Re: Big/Small

Big things/Small things Wow. I always thought it was just me. I used to get this a lot when I was a kid, and into my early teens. I think it is the same thing, although I find it very hard to explain, even to think about. Its kind of like when you wake up and you can't quite remember what...
Back