• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. McAvennie

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

Ah, this one will push me one post closer then, although I still lament the number of posts lost in the transfer. I find it hard to believe that over 20+ years my total is still not at 4,000 posts... Thanks, yes, life is not always as we plan and there is always the potential for an unexpected...
  2. McAvennie

The Moscow Concert Hall Attack

When the name Crocus City was mentioned I knew it rang a bell but it wasn't until I looked on the map where it was that I realized this was where I commuted to and worked for three months back in 2018. Yet to hear if anyone I know from the venue, or indirectly through contacts, may have been...
  3. McAvennie

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

I'm still around but not checking in as much at present. Real life happening... Need to get back in the habit of checking in more regularly.
  4. McAvennie

Physical Mediumship

HOW DARE YOU! ;)
  5. McAvennie

RMS Titanic: Theories, Exploration & Madness!

It's a TikTok video and has popped up in reporting on most newspapers. Newspapers using Tweets and TikTok as news in another matter, but this is not a case of The Sun paying an agency to make an animated video for them.
  6. McAvennie

Fake NASA Videos From ISS (Green Screen)

Ran into a NASA sub-conspiracy that footage sent from the ISS is filmed on earth via green screen. Gravity fails, etc... Some of it is pretty convincing, some of it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Sorry, you'll need TikTok... Video claims to show the harness visible on the astronaut's trousers as...
  7. McAvennie

Earthquakes

This was the first clip I saw that sparked my curiosity...
  8. McAvennie

Earthquakes

Videos of this are quite frightening. Suddenly all the city lights out, some terrifying lightning and then the tremors. Is lightning usual with earthquakes or just two natural events coincidentally occurring in parallel?
  9. McAvennie

Is Homosexuality On The Increase?

They had an outside chance with "Speichern Sie Ihre Küsse für mich" before the 1939 Eurovision was cancelled.
  10. McAvennie

When Dogs Attack

The recent dog mauling in the UK is somewhat weird. Involving dachshunds and a cockapoo, okay, as well as what looks like a large Saint Bernard style dog. The dog walker had eight dogs, seems they got tangled, panicked and then attacked the walker. Reading it though, couldn't help conjuring a...
  11. McAvennie

FT395

That one is a mystery in itself. Received at FT Towers in 1998 but "only just come to light"... Down the back of a filing cabinet?
  12. McAvennie

The Newby Church Ghost Photograph (AKA: *That* Ghost Photo)

https://www.diyphotography.net/photographer-recreates-three-famous-ghost-photos-ever-taken/ Interesting article on recreations of some famous ghost pictures, including Newby. The images are not taken on site but are fairly faithful recreations.
  13. McAvennie

FT384

Also the caption in Peter Brookesmith's UFO column places the Little Ale'Inn in Rachel, NM, when it is in NV. Tsk tsk.
  14. McAvennie

Tsunami & Mega-Tsunami

The sight of the ash cloud dwarfing the entire islands of Tonga, the fact that internet and comms are down and very little news has come from Tonga yet, the thought of the size of the waves... It's somewhat surprising that there does not seem to be anticipation of widespread devastation for...
  15. McAvennie

Ill-Fated Vehicles, Craft & Vessels

Small clarification, the Tenerife crash killing 500+ was 1977, not 1972.
  16. McAvennie

FT383

In the weird bets piece, the man who bet on the day of his wife's death only for that day to come 10 years later and the journalist following up finding no record of the man or his wife ever existing is somewhat spooky - if not most likely explainable in the most mundane manner. Curiously when...
  17. McAvennie

Bible John

Yep, that's the one.
  18. McAvennie

Strange Statues & Sculptures

Not a statue, as such, more sculpture, but 'Linda' at the Denver Art Museum is quite unsettling... https://www.denverartmuseum.org/en/object/1984.1
  19. McAvennie

Bible John

I seem to recall a documentary I watched a few years back that implied another serial killer in the Central Belt who could well have been Bible John. If I recall he had a camper van and had killed two or three women and the main crux of the episode was that his first wife had escaped him and was...
  20. McAvennie

FT381

I can't remember if it was 381 or 380, but the Jerome Clark review of a new UFO book in the reviews was almost 50% a hatchet job on the author based on a clear personal beef... Whether it was a good book was not discernible. Might be an idea not to give books by one person to be reviewed by...
  21. McAvennie

"Meeting Nicola"

The thought of her appearing as an attractive woman reminded me of that Scarlett Johansson film where she is an alien. Maybe the biker saved your friend's life!
  22. McAvennie

"Meeting Nicola"

Are we all not "feeding off" interaction on this forum? It's kind of the point, no?
  23. McAvennie

Footsteps Across The Ceiling During A Trip To France

I don't think anyone can explain the mystery of why France finds it acceptable to distribute beer in 33cl bottles.
  24. McAvennie

Frauds, Scams & Cons (Romance; Lonely Hearts)

I guess we are not allowed to talk about it are we... :crazy:
  25. McAvennie

Terrifying Teeside?

Linthorpe Road after dark... That is scary enough! :chuckle:
  26. McAvennie

Melania Trump Is Not Always Melania Trump But A Body Double

The greatest conspiracy of silence. We were worried at one point that Grandma would crack.
  27. McAvennie

Bruce Forsyth Haunting The London Palladium

Yep, definitely. Snapped after years of abuse or an insurance job? Grotbags had a cast-iron alibi that night.
  28. McAvennie

Bruce Forsyth Haunting The London Palladium

Where was he the night Rod Hull fell from his roof...?
  29. McAvennie

After everyone I know shot down the Challenger crew still alive lookalikes I take no prisoners on this topic... :)
  30. McAvennie

Nonsense, the proposed images could clearly be the same person just pulling different facial expressions.
  31. McAvennie

Disappearance In A Parisian Hotel: Fact Or Fable?

And in Jaws. Except the plague is a shark.
  32. McAvennie

Fear As a Medium

Fear... #ProjectFear... Is it really the case that governments constantly find a new 'bogey man' to keep the populace in constant fear? It certainly seems to be an easily traceable list of great threats to us back over just my life time and through a Western prism. I presume that same can be...
  33. McAvennie

Improbable Derren Brown Stunt

Can't remember if we had a thread on this already but one of his more recent ones, I think it was called "Push" was very intriguing to watch. Can't say much more without giving the premise away but was very well edited and opened up a crate of moral worms. Netflix I think.
  34. McAvennie

Subscription Problems

Hmm, thanks. I had one subscription for another magazine once and occasionally, even though only coming from Glasgow to London, there would be issues that didn't show up. I always like the ease and comfort of just buying from a shop but maybe now is the time to change approach.
  35. McAvennie

Subscription Problems

Looking for some advice here from international subscribers. I am looking at signing up, delivery to France. How reliable is the delivery? I usually get my mum back in the UK to buy it and I just collect them when I visit. However, with covid, etc... I can buy it here in France but it...
  36. McAvennie

From The Fortean Times To Forteana: Our 10th & 20th Anniversaries

If we take the mathematics from earlier in the thread into account it would seem that our 20 year anniversary could be set to occur at the start of August 2021. Gives us a year to think of how to mark it. Plenty of memories, debate and discussion, faces come gone and come again. Where have...
  37. McAvennie

From The Fortean Times To Forteana: Our 10th & 20th Anniversaries

Crikey, so, in approximately a year's time the board (in its various forms) will reach 20 Years of Strangeness... Perhaps a change of title for the thread and plans for some kind of extravaganza...? :boozing: EDIT: I've also figured out that it is more or less 25 years since I first bought FT...
  38. McAvennie

Giving Up On FT

Something that works well here is to use a short sidebar offering the alternative voice alongside an article. If you have a piece that is inherently skeptical on a topic then invite another writer to offer a rebuttal of sorts, or to put together a short piece that highlights the one aspect of...
  39. McAvennie

Giving Up On FT

I'm still ploughing through 2019 editions, and while as a collector and hoarder I am never likely to give up on the mag, I do feel some issues are tougher to get through than others. I have an OCD compulsion to read every page no matter how dull... Take this as constructive criticism, I used...
  40. McAvennie

The Jeffrey Epstein & Ghislaine Maxwell Scandal

A year is a long time in unpleasant jail conditions, knowing you are most likely never getting out again. Especially when it is in the best interests of so many powerful people for you to disappear. Call me skeptical, but...
  41. McAvennie

Pretty sure time could be found to be wasted seeing if she was ever in Praia de Luz. I'd say we should give UK cops another couple of million and a few years to look into that...
  42. McAvennie

Oh, they've got that tied up nicely on the West Coast.
  43. McAvennie

Poltergeists

We discussed this after the coke can incident, with my thought that it might show a mouse running about at night. I've a GoPro, a tripod and a couple of old but fairly decent camera phones around the apartment, but after discussion with my wife - who is usually the super sceptical one – she...
  44. McAvennie

Poltergeists

I assure you all is posted as my legit understanding of things. I have only ever had one pair of these glasses. I mean, to apply rational logic, I have to assume at some point the right arm became detached and instead of just reattaching it they put a brand new arm on and thus I have been left...
  45. McAvennie

Poltergeists

Something even more bizarre has happened today, if it is polt activity it is at the mischievous stage. My glasses have been broken for a few months but being in lockdown I have lived with it. Finally been out to the opticians to get some new ones. They arrived today so I gathered up my broken...
  46. McAvennie

Poltergeists

Art Deco building, I'd guess built 1920s... High white walls, wooden floors, French shutter style windows. You can actually see it here. Second picture reel. https://www.meilleursagents.com/prix-immobilier/paris-75000/rue-michel-ange-3693/75/
  47. McAvennie

Unsolved Mysteries (Netflix)

Yeah, I like a good UFO yarn but this one was the weakest episode so far. Didn't have much substance and compared to some if the other episodes was a bit dull.
  48. McAvennie

And after searching for this before posting and seeing nothing, of course I immediately see the Great Unsolved Mysteries thread. Mod merge... Sorry.
  49. McAvennie

New series running on Netflix, more of a true crime angle than paranormal, but very interesting so far. Unsolved murders, missing persons and I think there will be something paranormal upcoming. The DuPont-Ligonnes murders/disappearance is one of the early cases. Lots to discuss if...
  50. McAvennie

FT376

Such as "Fontana refers to the suggestion that coherent information may exist in a cosmic memory bank, but he asserts that there is little evidence to support it." Would be worth quoting the available evidence that does support it...
Back