• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. A

Not Quite An IHTM

OK this is one removed. It happened to another not to me so I can't quickly answer questions. My wifes friend sadly lost her husband last year. Last week she was in a jewelers when a woman (another customer) approached her and said "you love rubies dont you"? Somewhat taken aback by the...
  2. A

Dodgy (Fake) Photo Evidence, Linked To Contemporary Ideas

Following on from a Cotingdale fairy thread. Can you name an older photo of a Fortean subject which, a few years later seems as dated as flares or a paisley shirt. With the benefit of hindsite fakes seem so obvious :) I'm thinking Adamski saucers, cheesecloth ectoplasm etc.
  3. A

Experiencing debunked phenomena

Browsing the FTMB it often seems that once a form of explanation has been offered for a phenomenon, even if partially, then in the minds of many people they become 'explained' and unworthy of lingering interest. It seems that to be acceptable, phenomena have to fit into an ever shrinking...
  4. A

Contaminating Other Worlds With Earth Organisms

Someone more knowledgable will no doubt know for sure, but I think all the early moon probes and all mars probes so far are/were fully steralized to prevent contamination. Later moon probes were not steralized and I think that one of the manned missions retreived parts of a probe and it was...
  5. A

Urban Legends & Advertising

Has anyone other examples of UL, common knowledge or whatever being deliberately caused by people trying to flog stuff. The one that springs to mind is how statistics prove women are better drivers. We all know this now. Its a fact. Piffle. Listen to the insurance ads, they always say stuff...
Back