• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. L

Huge mysterious bird flying around Texas

http://www.canyoncountryzephyr.com/archives/condor2.jpg Californian Condor. Blacker than night, check. Pulled down, man like face, check. Looks like it means to eat you, check Wingspan: up to 10 or 12 feet--easily exaggerated to 20 feet by witnesses., check. Rare enough to be...
  2. L

Western Spy Ring Of Squirrels Arrested In Iran

You won't believe this. Then, again, my Fortean friends, it is probably inevitable, given the sense of humour exhibited by the Cosmic Joker. I googled and found that there is a native species of squirrel in the Middle East, the Persian Squirrel. Its latin name is Scurius anomalus. The...
  3. L

Western Spy Ring Of Squirrels Arrested In Iran

WARNING: LEWDNESS FOLLOWS AGENT FIST REPORTING FROM IRAN STOP PLEASE GET ME OUT OF THIS HOLE STOP IT SMELLS TERRIBLY OF ASS STOP SO FAR HAVE SEEN NO WMD STOP ONLY CHINESE BALLS STOP NON MILITARY APPLICATIONS ONLY STOP
  4. L

Single-Purpose Shops

Year round Christmas shops are oddly common in Canada and the United States in recent years. Some people are Christmas mad. There's one on Elgin Street here in Ottawa, Ontario. There was a bead shop in the Byward Market. There are lots of little carts and booths selling only one line of...
  5. L

Which conspiracy, if true...

The Gnostic Religion in any of its variants--the Creator God, or Demiurge, is a fake; the Real God is the Unknown God; we're all lost pieces of God trapped in the material world; Jesus Christ is the same person as the Devil or the Serpent and come to rescue us from illusion. Or that this is...
  6. L

How many American Muslims?

Many of these figures are based on the number of people active in Mosques--1.5 million active Mosque goers (would this be men only?) is probably the basis of that figure and any other number close to 2 million. It's like when fundamentalists count homosexuals--you have to be willing to tell a...
  7. L

How many American Muslims?

I researched the question a couple of years ago and found that the lowest figures (less than 1.5 million) were provided by a Jewish organization with an interest in minimizing the importance of the Muslim population, while the highest figures were provided by Muslim organizations with a contrary...
  8. L

Teletubbies/Nazi/Grey Conspiracy (!)

Subvocal? Ba? These books are designed (or perhaps evolved) to delightfully terrorize and empower middle class women, who buy most of the books, and who are neurotic about the chances of their little darling to get into the right schools (starting with pre-school, creche, kindergarten...
  9. L

Teletubbies/Nazi/Grey Conspiracy (!)

They do have a Queen who is the only one with any personality or freedom in the whole mob. But that's not typical of all gays, just a sub-type.
  10. L

Booze News

As I have already said, elsewhere, it's nice to know that the melting ice caps won't go to waste.
  11. L

Toxoplasma & Other Parasites Affecting Human Behavior

There are new developments on the toxoplasmosis/human behaviour front in the science news. A new study speculates that toxoplasmosis might affect human culture. Researchers compared various studies of human personality traits by region with toxoplasmosis antibody rates in humans and found...
  12. L

Is Soya Bad for You? (Or big bad agribusiness)

I read a lot of health and science news. I don't see anything in The Guardian article which is out of the mainstream or much that is news to me. Soya products do contain oestrogen mimics which could very well cause the sort of problems experienced with the parrots and may cause problems in...
  13. L

Spontaneous Erections Triggered By Garage Door Signal?

Reminds me of Homer Simpson's childlike ability to amuse himself with very little, like the remote control to his hospital bed: "Bed goes up, bed goes down, bed goes up, bed goes down...." :idea: Now you know why it is essential for men to have control of the television remote.
  14. L

Royal Pretenders

Re: Claim to be Heir to the Throne You can bet your bippy! Thousands, even. On the very moderst assumption that the number of descendants increases at the same rate as the number of ancestors (barring incest, of course), you have 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096...
  15. L

King Tut's Pectoral Scarab & The Myth Of Phaeton

In the version of the myth of Phaeton's joy ride in his father (Apollo's) chariot that I read as a child, the land scorched by the approach of the Sun was Libya. The Greeks used this term for the land to the West of Egypt's fertile Nile valley and also to the South of Egypt (Egypt's wars with...
  16. L

King Tut's Pectoral Scarab & The Myth Of Phaeton

King Tut's necklace shaped by fireball June 26, 2006 LONDON: Scientists believe they have solved the mystery surrounding a piece of rare natural glass at the centre of an elaborate necklace found among the treasures of Tutankhamun, the boy pharaoh. They think a fragile meteorite broke up as...
  17. L

Turning the US inside out

Where is Superman when we need him? If you dig around in the link, you can find a map of the proposed transportation system: http://www.nascocorridor.com/index.htm It's actually quite brilliant, nothing short of revolutionary from an economic and political point of view. A giant inland...
  18. L

Heat Bursts: Another Fortean Weather Phenomenon Explained?

Read more details: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/display_ ... 1&source=0 This reminds me of some freak weather in the writings of Charles Fort. Drat those scientists! They keep catching up to Fort. Good thing they keep creating new Forteana even faster than they solve the old mysteries...
  19. L

Cheese Rolling

There's a commercial on TV in Canada at the moment involving a truck load of cheese wheels that fall out of a truck. Various sizes from less than a foot in diametre to a giant one about five feet across which rolls through a fence and into a house where it falls over in front of a fellow happily...
  20. L

Ariel Sharon's Illness: Result Of A Curse?

As for the Curse of the Kennedies, you can take your pick: a) drink; b) an avocation for risk-taking (aka rashness); c) politics; d) all of the above. Which is a lot of words to say that they are Boston Irish. I don't believe that there is any other Curse, although I am willing to...
  21. L

The above article caught my eye on the FT website because pulse denura doesn't look very Aramaic to me. I'm not Mel Gibson but it looks more like a latin language--the word "pulse" might well be related to the English cognates "pulse" or "impulse", which could be conceived as a kind of whip, and...
  22. L

The Sharon Death Curse Religions around the world have a long history of curses aimed at opponents. Therese Taylor describes a recent use of Kabbalism against the Israeli Prime Minister. In July 2005, Ariel Sharon, Prime Minister of Israel, was targeted by Jewish extremists with an...
  23. L

Implausible Terrorist Threat Contest (serious!)

Here's the best idea I have come up with since I saw this contest posted on Boing Boing: Using twenty men and rented speed boats, blow up as many cruise ships as you can. (It would only take one man per boat unless you feel you need to enforce the suicide part of the mission through peer...
  24. L

Culture & Intelligence Among Non-Human Hominids (Great Apes)

If I understand correctly, the researchers are saying that the formation of such small pockets of "educated" or "cultured" apes--including humans-- sets the stage for cultural rather than merely breeding competition among individuals based on their educability, which promotes the evolution of...
  25. L

Out of Place Buddhas

I have been researching this. The objects are most likely gambling tokens used by Chinese workers during the Gold Rush (and thereafter). The Chinese imported Siamese tokens made of porcelain, enamel and sometimes bronze, shaped like coins and other objects. The Buddha heads are...
  26. L

Collapse Of U.S. Economy Imminent

Can't be done. Canada signed the FTA and NAFTA, which guarantee that Americans can buy Canadian oil at the same price that Canadians do. Canada can't just up the price of oil--it would have to pay the same price. In fact, to up domestic consumption of oil significantly it would have to...
  27. L

Fish With "Hands" And "Feet" From Paraguay

Thanks for all the research. I knew I could count on the Fortean community to find the critter. I've seen a lot of these weird wonders before and the squid with the imaginative name I ran across on a BBC site while doing my own research. I suspect that the theory that it was used as an...
  28. L

The Giant Octopus

ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... hub=Canada Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20060214204708/https://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060126/octopus_bc_060126/20060126?hub=Canada Fort would have relished that...
  29. L

Fish With "Hands" And "Feet" From Paraguay

Source: http://frankwarren.blogspot.com/2006/01 ... -feet.html I spent a considerable amount of time looking at taxonomic websites of Paraguayan fish (and Amazonian--just in case). Urls: http://www.mongabay.com/fish/data/ecosy ... 0River.htm...
  30. L

Anyone Can Get Anyone Else's Phone Records

In Canada, it was recently revealed that Rogers Cable allows anybody with basic, easy-to-find information such as the name, telephone number and postal code of a subscriber to look at their subscriptions. The site is designed for easy purchase of speciality channels, but anybody can do it...
  31. L

Sir Harry Oakes: Killed by Nazis, the Mafia, or royalty?

There's a novel by Canadian writer, Timothy Findley, Famous Last Words, on the subject of Sir Harry, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, and other mysteries, in the context of a Fascist plot to take over Europe before, during and after WWII--quite the conspiracy theory-based novel. While...
  32. L

Surnames

One of my ancestors was named Twaddle. Well--more than one, of course. Rare names have a tendancy to disappear for various reasons. For one thing, the rare names tend to be silly, embarassing or even offensive. Not many Hitlers in New York City nowadays but there were quite a few in 1939...
  33. L

A Sign? August 19 Photo "Predicts" Katrina Flooding

Sorry, I only have hard copy, but thanks to your interest I have resolved to pop for the two or three stamps to mail it to the UK. I was hoping that the FT crew have a means of finding press photographs that is denied to mere readers and clippers, such as contacting the photographer or Reuters...
  34. L

End of the World Predictors! (2005)

One of the American supermarket tabs is predicting that the End Times begin on September 11, 2005. Nothing to do with the Japanese Election, I am sure.
  35. L

A Sign? August 19 Photo "Predicts" Katrina Flooding

Accompanying the Canadian Press article "Ontario storm bill may hit $400-million" on page B4 of the Report on Business in Canada's Globe and Mail of Toronto, there is a photograph by Christopher Williams of Reuters showing a man pushing a car through flood waters after flooding caused by a storm...
  36. L

Real Jackalopes (Rabbits Infected With The Shope Papillomavirus)

One of the few indigenous American mythological creatures (except for a few which came over with the Irish and other immigrants) has been spoiled by veterinary science. The jackalope, half-rabbit, half-antelope (known in Europe for centuries despite there being no antelopes left, as will be...
  37. L

Gary McKinnon: 'The Interview' (BBC World Service 24/7/05)

Fun Fact: I has been illegal to have contact with aliens (and alien lifeforms generally) in the United States since 1969. To most of us, this law can only be regarded as contingency planning--in the unlikely event that alien parasites or diseases can infect us, they need the authority to...
  38. L

London Bombings: Conspiracies

If the police are going to shoot people for running away, you may have a serious problem. As pointed out above, a lot of people from countries where the police are not as well-behaved as in our liberal democracies are frightened of the police and their instinct is to run. But even in our...
  39. L

The Voodoo Practitioners Of Old London Town

100 black boys missing a month in London schools may or may not be par for the course. How many children in London schools? How many are black? What's the normal background rate of unaccounted for absences? 800,000 went missing in the US in 1999, of which 58,200 were non-family abductions...
  40. L

Brian's Predictions (Website)

It's the web--everybody is going virtual, what with Pay Pal and stuff! But seriously (as seriously as I can manage), there is a lot of fad and fashion involved--think of the rapid decline of table-turning, OUIJA boards and the like. Magick Eight Balls are back though--and I have a book called...
  41. L

Gulf Stream Is Slowing

Good work, Hokum, on the snake "legs" story. I knew the story was a non-starter but I forgot about snake penises. I looked for the Gulf Stream story. Will The Times of London do? :wink: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 79,00.html
  42. L

Shortwave Number Stations

So would the Enemy and any number of other spies if only the frequency were used to identify the broadcast part of the code. Since the simple Caesarian cypher (a=b, b=c, and so on) crytography has become so complex and multi-layered it would make your head explode if you actually knew what...
  43. L

666 (Six Six Six): The Devil's Number? The Number Of The Beast?

Now here is a subject on which I know way, way too much! 666 is a triangular number, the sum of all the numbers from 1 to 36, which is also a triangular number, as is 6. 666 is also the sum of the first 6 Roman numerals DCLXVI (which can be turned into a Caesarian title). In some...
  44. L

A Warning Sign ('Buffalo Toast')

Is that toast white or brown bread? It might be the White Buffalo of Native American Prophecy! :wink:
  45. L

Hollow Earth / Inner Earth (Agartha, Etc.)

Here's something better: http://terraweb.wr.usgs.gov/TRS/project ... AVHRR.html
  46. L

Hollow Earth / Inner Earth (Agartha, Etc.)

My God! You are right! There is a giant hole at the South Pole. It is shaped like a pyramid with Mickey Mouse ears near the top: http://astro.uchicago.edu/cara/southpol ... llite.html Just kidding! The hole is in the satellite mapping. I'll see if I can find a better image.
  47. L

Lots More Lottery Winners Than Expected (Oops!)

The Grand Prize in the Superball lottery can reach sums in excess of $100 million if there is a long run of drawings with no winner--in fact I think the largest ever was over $300 million. Winnings are taxable, and if you take the lump sum up front, you'd take home about half or possibly less of...
  48. L

Sea Serpents & Monsters (General; Miscellaneous)

From mini-AIR: Are sea serpents whale erections? Some reformating was necessary to post this newsletter. I recommend a subscription (it's free, and while not a Fortean publication per se, it is certainly in tune with the Cosmic Jokester and the anomalies of scientific researchers, if not...
  49. L

Watergate and the identity of Deep Throat

Yes, documents are released regularly but not only do the "real" secrets not make it into official files, but a lot of stuff that is official and documented is never going to come out, for example the VP's role in Iran-Contragate. Bush Jr. covered Daddy's tracks pretty well when he assumed the...
  50. L

Dog Suicides At Overtoun Bridge

I think we may safely rule out suicide. Which leaves the question of the motivation for the jumps. The first thing that came to mind for me was the possibility of some animal--a large pike or a large turtle perhaps, capable of attracting the dog's attention and dragging it down to its death...
Back