• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. L

Heat Bursts: Another Fortean Weather Phenomenon Explained?

Read more details: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/crnews/display_ ... 1&source=0 This reminds me of some freak weather in the writings of Charles Fort. Drat those scientists! They keep catching up to Fort. Good thing they keep creating new Forteana even faster than they solve the old mysteries...
  2. L

Fish With "Hands" And "Feet" From Paraguay

Source: http://frankwarren.blogspot.com/2006/01 ... -feet.html I spent a considerable amount of time looking at taxonomic websites of Paraguayan fish (and Amazonian--just in case). Urls: http://www.mongabay.com/fish/data/ecosy ... 0River.htm...
  3. L

A Sign? August 19 Photo "Predicts" Katrina Flooding

Accompanying the Canadian Press article "Ontario storm bill may hit $400-million" on page B4 of the Report on Business in Canada's Globe and Mail of Toronto, there is a photograph by Christopher Williams of Reuters showing a man pushing a car through flood waters after flooding caused by a storm...
  4. L

Real Jackalopes (Rabbits Infected With The Shope Papillomavirus)

One of the few indigenous American mythological creatures (except for a few which came over with the Irish and other immigrants) has been spoiled by veterinary science. The jackalope, half-rabbit, half-antelope (known in Europe for centuries despite there being no antelopes left, as will be...
  5. L

Plankton 'Wheels'

I draw your attention to this paragraph in the article below: Another remarkable discovery, made using echo sounders aboard one vessel, was of colossal spinning ring-like plankton structures. At least four clearly defined rings of interacting planktonic organisms were found. The structures...
  6. L

The Theory of Reproduction is Wrong!

This sort of thing infuriates me. Banning the teaching of Evolution in scientific biology is like banning the mention of God in Sunday School. You still have a lot to talk about but none of it makes any sense. But rather than rant, I will apply the Fortean touch. See below. Source...
  7. L

Canadian Man Caught Fiddling While Driving

Canadian Man Caught Fiddling While Driving Canadian motorist caught fiddling while driving Canadian police have charged a motorist with careless driving after catching him playing a violin while driving. Ontario Provincial Police said officers stopped a 54-year-old man heading south...
  8. L

April 8 South Bend Indiana Sightings

Sorry, this is the same story posted by Emperor as "Rochester sightings. I didn't recognize it because to me Rochester first brings to mind the town in New York. South Bend Tribune story This article is interesting because the sightings took place over three counties.
  9. L

UFO-like robot plane drops bomb at Edwards AFB

Here is the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4779727/ The photo in profile looks very much like a "flying saucer" . There is an information box on several other oddly shaped experimental aircraft accompanying this article.
  10. L

Roast Beast for My Easter Feast?

I went to the local grocery to buy something appropriate for Easter Dinner. It was a poor selection--usually is, it's one of the worst shops in town for selection, quality and prices. The best cut of meat available was a rack of pork rib roast, but the price was $6.66, so I decided on some...
  11. L

Teen sees Jesus in Lava Lamp

Link to story reproduced below:Jesus Simulacrum Link to Image: Tasos Katopodis / The Times Sherri Gehring of Lansing says an image of Jesus appeared in her 15-year-old son, Doug's, lava lamp Sunday night near midnight. The lava, she said, is normally black and is now purple tinged with...
  12. L

04 14 F A T E Allah baa

In my agenda I have a note for April 14 about a Fortean story of a man in Salt Lake City, Utah who found a banana squash with odd markings (2003): 4 14 F A T E Allah baa I will do some research and see if I can find this story again, in the meantime I googled the above "message" and so far...
  13. L

Man Attempts to nail himself to a cross

An American from Hartland, Maine, U.S.A. has attempted suicide by nailing himself to a cross. Not a Fortean story perhaps, unless the context of "The Passion of Christ" is taken into consideration. Apparently he has not seen the movie, nor is he known to have used official "Passion of Christ"...
  14. L

666, the Passion of Christ and Rome, Georgia

You have got to be kidding! I am not at all surprised that about the number 666 turning up on a ticket--there are only 1,000 numbers from 000 to 999, after all. And it isn't all that surprising that it turns up on a ticket to "The Passion of Christ" seeing as a lot of them are being sold...
  15. L

Kerry in the gun sights?

Muck Dredge of the Grudge Retort has dug up a classic gaffe (or is it a conspiracy?): Reuters Photo of Kerry I think Reuters is jumping the gun on this Presidential Assassination thing--he's not even an official candidate yet! You're just not safe in the U.S. with the initials JFK. And...
  16. L

The Tit Seen Round the World

Not since that famous French revolutionary painting of Mary Anne storming the barracades has a single tit caused such a ruckus (Quotation from Woody Allen's "Everything you always wanted to know about Sex*": "They usually hunt in pairs.") Well, when I say a single tit, I mean a breast, not a...
  17. L

9/11 Conspiracy Theories on CBC's "Fifth Estate" p

I thought this deserved its own thread due to the amount of documentation involved pertaining to the Bush-Saudi-Terrorist links. I draw your attention in particular to interviews with Robert Baer of the CIA, who resigned in 1997 because he thought not enough attention was being paid to the...
  18. L

Brain Waves in Jellies / Jell-O

I ran across this Fortean item (1977) while reading on Sunday: The Best Reason to Stick to Vanilla Custard Dr. Adrian R. M. Upton, Associate Professor of Neurology at McMaster University , recently measure brain waves in a bowl of lime Jell-O. While Dr. Upton linked the brain-wave activity...
  19. L

Fruitcake Threat ... phase one

Sometimes the juxtaposition of two mundane stories creates an effect worthy of our interest. Just yesterday, I heard that fruitcakes are being banned from some airports because their density makes them an excellent choice for the concealment of weapons: Tue, December 9, 2003...
  20. L

Canada Quietly Annexes Alaska

O Canada: CBC erases our native land Zev Singer CanWest News Services Friday, November 14, 2003 Wayne Cuddington, CanWest New Service, Ottawa Citizen / WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE MAP AT CBC IN OTTAWA? A HINT: IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH B.C.: Jovan Raic cleans a granite map of...
  21. L

Giant Insects In New Jersey

Huge insects destroy 40 foot tree Wednesday, September 24, 2003 By JACK HUMMEL Staff Writer MILLVILLE -- What's 9 or 10 inches long with the wing span of a small bird and bores six to 10 holes in a straight line in a tree? That's what Janet Hanson wants to know. And...
  22. L

Gayest Countries in the World

Australia and US found to be 'gayest countries' Researchers have concluded more than 17% of Australians and Americans are involved in gay or lesbian relationships. It puts the countries equal first in the world for its proportion of homosexuals. The worldwide survey of sexual habits by...
  23. L

Revised Slogan: There Are NOW Kangaroos In AUSTRIA

The story today about the Kangaroo that was mistaken for a Giant Beaver must be the one on the television yesterday morning. I only heard the word "kangaroo" but I thought to myself, must be another of those kangaroos running amuck in Austria. I was only joking. Actually, kangaroos turning up...
  24. L

The World's Funniest Joke

Man dies while laughing in sleep From correspondents in Bangkok, Thailand August 21, 2003 AN ice-cream truck driver in Thailand died while laughing in his sleep, a newspaper reported today. Damnoen Saen-um, 52, laughed for about two minutes on Wednesday and then stopped breathing, The...
  25. L

The Great Abomination

Here is a little something that ought to make Shrub's conservative christian supporters pause and reflect. I call it "The Great Abomination", but Gentleman's Quarterly (GQ) is calling it "His Own Personal Jesus": Link to : The Neo-Con Messiah With the mentor of the Neo-Con movement...
  26. L

Is Secrecy Futile?

By serendippity I picked up a science fiction novel by Bob Tucker The Time Masters (1954, revised 1970's) in which a character mocks the Government Man's obsession with secrecy by pointing out that the nuclear secrets the United States and other Governments were so busy trying to keep were to be...
  27. L

Non-Human Survivors of Shuttle Crash

Nematodes descended from one of the experiments on the Columbus space shuttle have been found alive! http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-shuttle-worms.story
  28. L

Anything into Oil

This inspirational story in today's Fortean News Briefs (April 22) was more than I could resist. Source: http://www.discover.com/may_03/featoil.html DISCOVER Vol. 24 No. 5 (May 2003) Table of Contents Anything into Oil Technological savvy could turn 600 million tons of turkey guts...
  29. L

My Backflip Directory of Fortean Bookmarks

I don't know whether this is the proper place to post this or not--but it certainly in "general". I have an account at http://www.backflip.com, a free online bookmark site where you can save your bookmarks--I have found this immensely useful since I move around a lot and like to have my...
  30. L

My Best UFO Ever!

On February 13 I was walking across the bridge which connects downtown Hull, Quebec (now Gatineau) and Ottawa, Ontario when I paused to observe some lights in the sunset. Two of them were pretty much stationary, and I took them to be airplanes flying almost due West into the sunset. A third...
Back