• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. stonedog3

Offprints for free - or postage

Latest lot of stuff for postage and a bit extra if you feel like it :P Details of how to nab one or more and an updated list are at http://www.wunderkabinett.co.uk/emporium/index.php?topic=1225.msg16961#msg16961 Kath 3rd Stone 38 2000 3rd Stone 43 2002...
  2. stonedog3

Name That Book

John Gordon, The Giant Under The Snow fits all your points I think.... there's a green man in there too which is how I know it. :D Kath
  3. stonedog3

Saxon / Anglo-Saxon Archaeology & Artefacts

I remember corinium museum as having some rather triff mosaics. Guess they just didn't appeal? :( i've always felt that there really is no art to find the minds construction in the face and I don't really get excited by the facial recinstructions - although I do enjoy the progs and other...
  4. stonedog3

Capon Tree 'Witchcraft': A local Scottish mystery

Isn't it great? I have a hawthorn and a flowering cherry... I wonder if they'd oblige? And I;m not going to stick my Sidecar Mermaid at the top of a tree! Kath
  5. stonedog3

Klein Bottles & Mobius Strips: One Sided / Three Dimensions

I'm thinking...... do they link? have dismantled it in my head and I can;t get them apart... the two halves...... :confused: if you knit one then you can't just do it on a circular or dps and put a single twist, you have to graft or kitchener the ends together or you get a complet...
  6. stonedog3

Christian Mysticism

ta flash! :) you are an officer and a gentleman! will return and re-read........ Kath
  7. stonedog3

Water Hard As Concrete (As Something You Fall Upon)

also on very small bunnies with a sports arrow..... er.... it was an accident, honest :D Kath
  8. stonedog3

Christian Mysticism

Flash, can you expand and elucidate dear? Apart from the presence of the Magus/magician/sorcerer motidf I'm not sure I get the connection.... and speak slowly and clearly, the ears are full of bubbles after my bath :D Kath
  9. stonedog3

World's End: Post-Apocalyptic Fashion & Music

It was fashinable, easily done at home and annoyed the grownups. Mind you, I moved out and into motorbikes asap so I'm not an authority. From my experience by the time people heard about it it was already a media fabrication and any attempt to see a movement or whatever would be post hoc...
  10. stonedog3

Christian Mysticism

Many people of faith (broadest term implied) regard all ritual as adiaphora. :) Mind you, some people of faith regard all of it as adiaphoric and merely the outward visible sign of inward spiritual truth. Shrug. Maybe you need to work out what you mean by "ritual" as well as "christian" and...
  11. stonedog3

Faking Victimhood To Get Attention / Celebrity / Notoriety

Breezilla, you've nailed it :) I can eat wheat. I don't go into anaphylactic shock, it's just not too good for me :D Well, unless hiccups and hives are this season's must-haves of course :rolleyes: Kath
  12. stonedog3

Faking Victimhood To Get Attention / Celebrity / Notoriety

hug for BRF :( I get especially wound up by food faddists. Especially people who think they MIGHT have an intolerance and decide to upgrade it to an allergy, instead of getting tested and making any necessary adjustments. GET A LIFE! SMACK! GET OVER IT! SMACK! and in general just SMACK...
  13. stonedog3

Christian Mysticism

Ah! my initial reaction was exactly the same as Lopaka's (now what are the odds against THAT huh? ;) ) and so I wonder if you should maybe look at the whole phrasing of the question? Mainly on the grounds of me still being baffled I have to confess....... :rofl: There is a well defined and...
  14. stonedog3

Do Cohabiting Women Synchronise Their Menstruation? ..

Melf that's a peach of a thread..... I even posted on it! memory like a sieve me :) I was very taken with Keyser Soze's musings on if a male cycle would be altered by that of the associated female.... which would mean in the context of this thread that if all the women got into step...
  15. stonedog3

just thinking here..... so if it happens, how long does it take to adjust? and how long to de-adjust when you leave the group... if you do? am trying to think what groups in my experience might be askable.... * students don't dorm anymore, it's sep rooms.... what are the limits...
  16. stonedog3

actually I couldn't possible IRL... I'm always on the edge of the conversation with my ears pricked up. It's ok here tho..... one of the advantages of a virtual space :) Kath
  17. stonedog3

I know it works in the shortening direction having been checked out for suspected ovarian cysts but it was mittelsmerschen (er...... how do you spell it?????) and this blasted chap! (bless his wee cotton sockies :D ) Don't know if it lengthens.... having a complete dearth of even vaguely...
  18. stonedog3

Have never been in the situation for long enough to test it - would need several cycles/months to adjust I assume? but it's often been a topic of discussion when settling into things like dorms or lets for digging. I /do/ know that having some very MALE chap about leaking hormones all over...
  19. stonedog3

The Fremont People

Julianpenrod.... I was asked about the word archaeology. I replied that british english tends to archaeology, american english tends archeology and that both cultures use either when they feel like it. How much detail can you get in a txt msg on a bus to visit a client? and yes, before you...
  20. stonedog3

Water Hard As Concrete (As Something You Fall Upon)

Haven't fallen onto concrete from any height but have fallen onto water and can offer empirical evidence that it doesn't get out of the way nearly fast enough :( Although it is undoubtedly better than concrete would have been.... Kath
  21. stonedog3

GhostStudy.com: What Do You Make Of It?

these days, in scotland at least, the custom is to take photos and to hold the child for as long as you need. Rather than being sick or repugnant it's a cultural difference, no? People used to have mourning jewellery of jet and hair, portraits and photos and so on... But it's a theoretical...
  22. stonedog3

The Fremont People

julianpenrod.... I am the close friend of Mr Neville's. He txtd me the question while I was at work, got a brief factual response and had the courtesy not to attribute it directly as he knew that, when I could, I would make the statements myself. Not wanting to delay the data getting to you so...
  23. stonedog3

The Grave Of Robin Hood

To continue the archery thing (well, this IS Robin Hood!) most of us archers find we are limited by the weight we can draw not our distance from the ground.... so it's upper body strength and a good solid base to brace on not having enough clearance for a longer bow. Look at the popularity of...
  24. stonedog3

Riddle Of The Three Hares

argh! synchronity! what mysterious force joins us Keyser Soze...... :D I posted http://www.chrischapmanphotography.com/hares.htm to a mate at 11 in the morning yesterday, having found the link in my notes while looking for green men info.... I found the ref ages ago but have STILL...
  25. stonedog3

Does Anyone Recall the Panda with the Tarot Cards? (Issi Noho)

Tinger and Tucker had a magic password... woomerangboomerang. Thank you for letting me share this with you :D Kath
  26. stonedog3

Are the Fundies for real?

in a siimilarly off thread thought, what do costermongers do?:confused: kath
  27. stonedog3

Fortean Internet

http://affirmingcatholicism.org.uk/home.asp has more on virtual parishes... and, declaring an interest, this sect within the episcopalian church is what I am! :D I guess I just don't find trolling funny regardless of who it's aimed at. One of the good things about this site is the the mods...
  28. stonedog3

Stranger From The Nightmare

:eek!!!!: but what is it that is so frigteneing (she asked from behind teh sofa)? the knowingness? the general concept? Kath
  29. stonedog3

Man's stomach falls out in garden

have nursed somone with it... that was quite close enough thanks :D Kath PS have another :likee:
  30. stonedog3

Pete :glum: am still speechless..... Kath
  31. stonedog3

michael... :glum: am speechless..... kath
  32. stonedog3

...At The James Randi Educational Foundation

Siman.. don't think we've spoken before? As you feel so very strongly about this (and who here doesn't feel their soul rally to the excitment of a battlecry against facism?) you might want to think about acting in a way which might achieve results.... at the moment you seem to be flinging...
  33. stonedog3

Figure In The Sand

yes, if it is meerschaum (spelling???) or even ordinary pipe clay then it ought to be visible granular on the sections... unless the sea has worn it too far? Of course, breaking a fresh section would allow a close examination :D if it is a pipe then you may be able to get a date of production...
  34. stonedog3

Most Haunted Poll

certainly in this neck of the woods it's a minor show on a minor channel watched by people looking for something to laugh at once the take-out's kicked in.... I guess that the only people who take it seriously are the people who think River City is a reality TV show... For my money that is...
  35. stonedog3

Thistles 'n' Rainbows

Looking at the thistle.... (great plant but not really garden friendly in it's best forms :() the word fastigate is coming to mind.... now given that I didn't know I knew the word fastigate this may be far from relevant... :D Kath
  36. stonedog3

GhostStudy.com: What Do You Make Of It?

realspooky... I read the chastisement (silken or otherwise, do tell TVQ!!!!:D) as having nothing to do with anyone's views on the other site... but to be about using this board to plan and publicise the sort of prank that has us up in arms when people try it here. Lack of respect, taking the...
  37. stonedog3

Bizarre Auctions

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4175&item=3718940874&rd=1 why do they think it's Hitler? I know he was a soldier in WWI but....? hey - they're in Scotland! :( Kath
  38. stonedog3

Photograph Of A Demon On A Child's Shoulder?

/That/ is part of my national heritage I am somewhat bothered to say.... :( an alternative is the singing kettle. demonic influence has /not/ been ruled out... Kath
  39. stonedog3

Simulacra

I'd actually heard about this... but hadn't realised it was the MU what done it :) http://www.suffolkchurches.co.uk/exningmartin.htm has a slightly different photo... I've looked at all of them carefully and can't turn it into a foliate. Can anyone else see leaves? And is the darker one...
  40. stonedog3

Women in white

... than they are to a swift kick in the teeth? daft statement :D what programme was this spooky? Kath
  41. stonedog3

Cathars

Cor! that shows what happens when you pull a link out of the These You Have Loved selection and don't read it properly :rofl: Kath
  42. stonedog3

Cathars

literature? would that be different to the "normal" lang d'oc stuff? I'd rather assumed that many people just melted away over the hillline with some handy goats..... Kath
  43. stonedog3

Cathars

Are the papers online somewhere? The fuller version I read through was a very scholastic (small print, possibly print to order, closed stack) kind of thing... but I remember thinking wossisname had done a fair job of plum picking while keeping the overall flavour right.... well, if you...
  44. stonedog3

Cathars

Beatrice De La Planisolles..... I know that's the wrong spelling but.... :yeay: I wonder how you say "confident woman aware of the power of her sexuality" in Oc? Come on Alexious, you're the linguist :D Kath
  45. stonedog3

Cathars

If you are someone who is made happy by a lifestyle, does it matter if that lifestyle suggests that The Best Is Yet To Come? It's years since I read the montaillou transcripts (there's an edition of much more of the source material somehwere) but I don't remember the people being especially...
  46. stonedog3

Cathars

http://www.worldhistory.com/wiki/E/Emmanuel-Le-Roy-Ladurie.htm montaillou? Kath
  47. stonedog3

Sensing Someone Staring At You

my experience is that it's one of those things where folks tend to remember the hits and ignore other explanations and the misses.... Kath
  48. stonedog3

Art and madness

The Stahl thesis I link to above includes creative scientists as well as "artists" in the conventional sense... interesting and heartening from a Fine Artist. http://www.princeton.edu/~his291/Durer_Melancolia.html is a link to one of the Durer Melancholia etchings.... is this...
  49. stonedog3

Art and madness

http://www.annestahl.com/home.htm is the link to pages of an artist - very much like her work. The Thesis link is to a very readable dissertation on Art and Madness which I'm working through a chunk at a time.... kath
  50. stonedog3

Has anyone had an experience that would be deemed miraculous

or they are mistaken, rationalising post hoc, misremembering, repeating something that they heard in good faith, wanting to help a small child realise that said small child is special, indulging in the sort of verbal sloppiness we all enjoy... is there further evidence that they are actually...
Back