• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. genex17

The US Once Considered Adopting 220V As A Mains Standard

Here's a article by one of Edison's engineers. In 1896, samples of the emerging 220V lamps in Europe were considered. But it never happened. Here's why the US never went to 220:
  2. genex17

Vanishing Headlights, The Demon Flyer & Other Mojave Mysteries

The Mojave desert stretches from California to Nevada about 100 miles east of Los Angeles. The Mojave bears a close resemblance to the UK's barren Moorlands,mostly shrubs and grass instead of cacti. It's often called the "High Desert" for its' 2000-4000 foot elevations. A man driving a...
  3. genex17

Desert Oracle Radio

Ken Layne maintains a magazine and podcast called the Desert Oracle based out of Joshua Tree, California about 150 miles east of Los Angeles in the Mojave Desert. He touches both on daily life, geography as well as the strange goings on in this region. I got introduced to his world when I saw a...
  4. genex17

Mattress Firm Launders Money?

Yes, that's the conclusion some conspiracy theorists have come to as to why this US mattress retailer has so many stores in one town...Las Vegas for example. http://www.businessinsider.com/mattress-firm-empty-store-photos-2018-1 I did buy my first new mattress there. Maybe next visit I should...
  5. genex17

Rogue Thunderstorm

Like many other places, we have been experiencing clear skies and hot weather. No rain predicted. at around 1 AM, I hear light rattling on my roof growing more frequent. I'm like "what is this" before I realize it's a heavy downpour. It lasted a half hour before moving out. It's a single storm...
  6. genex17

Next Thursday, 10 AM.

Melvin Belli, famed San Francisco attorney, recalls in his 1975 book, "My Life on Trial" (page 104) a call he got from a funeral parlor across the bay in Oakland. A friend of his, Suey Ng, had passed away and he was requested to be one of the pallbearers. The service was to be next Thursday, 10...
  7. genex17

British Tourists Claim To Have Photographed Ghost On Alcatraz

One from my neck of the woods. British tourists claim to photograph ghost on Alcatraz Posted on Wednesday, June 18 at 2:31pm | By Beth Spotswood Is it a ghost? (Image taken by Sheila Sillery-Walsh. Sheila Sillery-Walsh, visiting San Francisco from Birmingham England, managed to capture a...
  8. genex17

Oakland,California--The Clarke mansion

This is an old 1997 news article about a haunted stretch of Oakland where the Clarke mansion once stood at 16th and Castro streets. It was demolished to make way for the eastbound lanes of the I-980 freeway. Oakland is the major port city on the East Bay across from San Francisco,to phrase it...
Back