• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Cochise

What's Meant By 'Olive Skinned'?

... Jesus is definitely a He. But, from what I've seen of him, he has a typical Eastern Mediterranean medium brown skin. (I've never understood what people mean by 'olive-skinned' - I don't know anyone with green skin.) ...
  2. Cochise

What Is Truth?

Is there any such thing as objective truth? Discuss. I don't think there is. You can't even prove to me the universe will exist after I die. Or that y'all exist now and are not figments of my imagination - although I will accept it as a working hypothesis. And everyone lies. No offence. Has...
  3. Cochise

Fab Functional Form: Engineered Aesthetics

Do we have a thread on the topic of visual 'rightness'? What I mean is, certain engineering things look right and others look wrong - and quite often the latter do turn out to be 'wrong' . An example would be the first Tay Bridge, which looks like it was made up as it went along (as largely it...
  4. Cochise

Unexplained Railway Accidents—Or Unexplained Aspects Of Otherwise Explainable Accidents

Railway accidents have always been a fascination of mine since I bought L. T. C. Rolt's 'Red for Danger' when I was about twelve. i will try and put on here descriptions of several puzzling accidents, and also some tales surrounding other accidents. (Yes, there will be ghosts.) Bear with me, I...
  5. Cochise

'Proven Conspiracies' From Reddit

I would never dream of stirring controversy but here is a list of 'proven' conspiracies from Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/wiki/lopc
  6. Cochise

Misogyny & UFOs?

It occurred to me while not sleeping last night that I can't recall any UFO contacts where the aliens were reported as female. It's not my main area of Fortean interest, so I may have missed many reports. But interesting, no? Probably says more about the witnesses than the aliens.
  7. Cochise

Learning To Read & Early Childhood Reading

Wasn't sure where to put this. There has recently been some stuff published in the newspapers about not being able to remember anything from ones early childhood. As with all such sweeping statements, my response would be 'it depends'. I distinctly remember my first dog, who was run over when...
  8. Cochise

Things Nobody Knows—And Nobody Ever Will

I could say 'Who is Jack the Ripper' - or even 'Was there a Jack the Ripper' But how about 'What did Agatha Christie do in her 11 missing days'. Your suggestions please (either for solutions or other unsolvable mysteries). PS - please try to come up with things that have evidence that they...
  9. Cochise

Popular Misconceptions

Ok - here's one. Listening to The Chase today and one of the questions was about 3D vision, and how it relies on a stereoscopic effect . But I only have one eye and I can see 3D perfectly well - if I couldn't, given I have ridden motorbikes since I was 17, I'd be dead. Your turn :)
  10. Cochise

On The Road

Don't know if we have a thread to record our travels. Currently I'm staying in the George Hotel, Cranbrook - several hundred years old and Elizabeth 1 stayed here - surely its got to be haunted!
  11. Cochise

Not Déjà Vu, Not Presque-vu, But...

Is there a term for the following... I'm currently working somewhere where getting lunch is difficult, started yesterday. so I made sandwiches and took them with me. Went to do it this morning and couldn't find the sandwich box, which I had taken out of my laptop bag and put into the kitchen...
  12. Cochise

The World's Loneliest Tree(s)

I seem to recall that the remotest tree in Australia was killed by being run in to by a lorry. Edit: Sorry - it was in the Sahara - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_Ténéré Wikipedia has lists of individual tree deaths by decade:clap:
  13. Cochise

Murder most fortean

As I have mentioned elsewhere, murders, and particularly unsolved murders, have held the sort of unwanted but irresistible fascination for me that other people seem to have for horror movies. It's all the fault of Ranger comic. However, I thought it might be 'fun' to highlight some cases that...
  14. Cochise

Fashions In Hand Gestures

There seems to be an almost universal habit, in modern politicians or other commentators, to wave their hands about while presenting a point. No doubt they have been told by someone or other that this will help to get their point across. Which, if it had ever been a normal part of English...
  15. Cochise

I'll Eat My Hat

OK, a fairly common saying. But has anyone actually ever been made to deliver? By which I mean actually eaten their hat when they've been proved wrong? Examples please!
  16. Cochise

Organ Donation / Organ Donors

I am a cantankerous old sod, I know, but the way the Welsh Assembly has approached this has so annoyed me I've vowed they aren't going to get hold of my organs. Although after what I've done to them over the years I don't suppose they are much use, I'd have gladly let people have them if the...
  17. Cochise

Tinnitus

This link has some interesting information on tinnitus. Thanks for directing my attention to it. (You know who you are :) ) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-32414876 The Fortean aspect being, of course, that people who hear strange sounds, especially 'The Hum', are often assumed...
  18. Cochise

Biblical Musings

Some do, some don't. Even within the CofE - in general not very fundie - opinion is divided. But that is why, I think, that Christianity (the earthly religion, not the supernatural aspects which I believe in but I grant I have no objective proof for) has become less harmful than it once was -...
  19. Cochise

Road salt

Sadly my poor old Jeep has been destroyed by rust eating out from inside the chassis. Given that it should, mechanically, be good for another 15 years, this is a horrible waste of resources, and I've lost many a car the same way (although often quicker!) I have frequently wondered why...
  20. Cochise

Operation Yewtree & Other Historical Child-Abuse Allegations

This thread has been extracted from the now closed Jimmy Savile threads, and is for discussion regarding the wider Yewtree investigation and trials. There is a dedicated Savile thread here. Stu. --------------- Quote is a comment on the DM article regarding the Cyril Smith allegations...
  21. Cochise

False Memory

Most people will be aware of the film Duel. (Speilberg's first). My memory, however, insists I've watched two different versions of it, one in black and white with the shabby dark tanker lorry and and old rounded car driven by a 50's businessman type, one with a newer red flat fronted lorry...
  22. Cochise

Blame it all on the Baby Boomers

There is a lot of stuff like this in the papers: Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z2norTqXIZ This wouldn't at all be part of a Government attempt to jusitify its own (and Brown's) raid on pensions and attacks on te property of senior citizens would it? For what it...
  23. Cochise

Unexpected / Inaccessible Post Box On A Bridge

Well, it certainly seems Fortean. But doubtless it will turn out to be some sort of art project. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... hames.html
  24. Cochise

Disappearing Hikers

I've just been told a story by a friend that, while he was walking a path near the West Kennett long barrow (not the path leading to the barrow itself, but within sight) he and his son saw two hikers coming towards them who disappeared before reaching them. They were relatively elderly people...
  25. Cochise

Human feelings of 'spookyness'

Well, what is it it? Primeval warning? Low frequency vibration? It's being in effect discussed on several threads at the moment (frightening places, murder locations). Sorry if there is a thread specifically for the discussion of when where and what is spookiness, but its difficult to search...
  26. Cochise

Horrible dreams from nowhere

Had a really horrible dream last night, out of nowhere. It ended with a drowned baby in a bath wearing a romper suit with other details too disgusting to mention. Don't know what part of the subconscious that came from, but I hope its purged itself now! Don't think I dare go near a psychoanalyst...
  27. Cochise

A Dog & Phone Story

This didn't happen to me, it happens to my dog. If this isn't an appropriate place for it by all means move it. My dog is a rescue dog, and like all rescue dogs he has some behaviour that is difficult to explain because of course his history is largely unknown. One of the things he...
  28. Cochise

Mystical Cave

I haven't put this one before because its from my late teens and chemical additives were involved. However its a good story. Some friends and myself were on a camping trip to Snowdonia. It was 1974. We avoided regular campsites because we liked to be out in the wilds after dark and indulge...
  29. Cochise

'Someone Just Walked Over My Grave'

My mother and grandmother used to give a shiver 'oooh' and say this. Never understood what it was meant to mean. - they weren't dead, didn't have a grave, and since they were both cremated they still don't have one. Anyone else heard the phrase?
  30. Cochise

The kind of thing that can happen

About 20 years ago, my wife and I bought our first house. It was a picturesque but small cottage, about 60 years old at the time. Because we didn't have huge amounts of money, it was in an unfortunate position by a main road, at the end of an airport runway, and just at the point where the...
  31. Cochise

False memory / shared memory / waking dream.

I'm new here, but I've been browsing a lot of the old threads - and truly fascinating some of them are. I don't think the 'explanations' are , frankly, as interesting as the phenomena, or more especially the patterns that the phenomena reveal. I've a question, though, for the rationalists...
Back