• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Min Bannister

Historical Coin Hoard Found Buried Under Dorset Cottage

I don't really think that could cut it. A silver groat from the reign of King Humperdinck the Unready may be worth a fiver. A hoard of such groats found 600 miles away from Hump's seat and which match with a local folk legend that say his page stole a pot of coins and brought them to the area...
  2. Min Bannister

Historical Coin Hoard Found Buried Under Dorset Cottage

But how would you know if they were of archaeological relevance unless they were taken away and examined by experts?
  3. Min Bannister

Russell Brand: From Comic To Icke-Esque Conspiracist & Possible Abuser?

That's how they get you. They make a certain amount of sense by picking easy targets and saying stuff that is true. Then they come in with the weird stuff and people believe them because he was right about the other stuff.:nods: Keep not-subscribing!
  4. Min Bannister

The Navajo Skinwalker & 'Skinwalker Ranch'

The 4th series has finally made it to Blaze in the UK and is starting tonight. I can finally catch up on this!
  5. Min Bannister

Strange Deaths

This what I was wondering. Or that the window was ripped out. As it would be odd for not one but two people in the same building to think it was a good idea to open their windows during a typhoon.
  6. Min Bannister

Uncanny (BBC Programme / Podcast)

I am sure he will do lots of new stories but it will be a good place to visit to get the sceptics viewpoint. That a place can make you feel weirded out, just because of the way it was built. I would like to visit it myself but am happy to let Danny do the actual travelling!
  7. Min Bannister

Strange Crimes

From @maximus otter link. We want anarchy! Unless it gets too anarchic.:pitch:
  8. Min Bannister

Uncanny (BBC Programme / Podcast)

I maintain there will be no screaming or demons. You can come back and tell me you told me so if I am wrong but it just seems unlikely that Uncanny will suddenly turn into the worst kind of low-budget "reality" TV show. Why would it? The formula they have is very successful. I am looking...
  9. Min Bannister

Strange Deaths

That is horrific.:eek: That building must have been very poorly made.
  10. Min Bannister

Given Time Travel, Where & When Would You Want To Travel?

No because although there are a few conservation successes around, we only keep destroying more habitat. If we can't keep the birds that are somehow still clinging to life then why bring back the ones we have already killed off? To have another go at killing them again? I don't believe it is...
  11. Min Bannister

Given Time Travel, Where & When Would You Want To Travel?

I would use the time machine to travel to places in order to see birds or bird quantities that have been lost. My list includes:- -US to see the Passenger Pigeon, the Ivory Billed Woodpecker and the Eskimo Curlew. -The North Atlantic to see the Great Auk. -Mauritius, Rèunion and Rodriguez to...
  12. Min Bannister

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

You did the right thing. I tried to watch it but quickly got irritated by the annoying characters and ludicrous storyline. I fell asleep before the end so in my head they killed off a couple of them which would have redeemed the film a bit had it really happened.:yawn:
  13. Min Bannister

Consumerism

Temu are bonkers. You hear claims such as the one that they are losing on average 30USD per order in the US because they are pushing so hard to take over the US market. :omg: My local newsagent used to do a parcel pick up and drop off service for Evri (I think). I heard them a few months saying...
  14. Min Bannister

Consumerism

We had a bit of conversation about the Stanley Cup craze over on the Strange Crimes thread recently. For those not familiar, this is a fashion for buying large numbers of very expensive, very oversized and rather ugly thermos cups...
  15. Min Bannister

Oh, The Irony

Hmm. He may not actually be a real person then. The photo is probably some perfectly innocent random trainee accountant. Poor sod.
  16. Min Bannister

Oh, The Irony

He probably just flipped the image though! I like that he is still single despite being a wildly successful alpha male though...
  17. Min Bannister

People Who Just Disappear (Go Missing)

Interestingly, I noticed this story yesterday which seems to be suggesting just that. A pair of young children wandered off at a holiday park, a woman seems to have tried to intervene and was yelled at. Now she is being "hunted" by the police...
  18. Min Bannister

Coincidences

With very dirty windows! :chuckle:
  19. Min Bannister

Legs With No Body, Running Along The Road

Perhaps he is relieved to no longer keep seeing ghosts with weird futuristic clothes? :)
  20. Min Bannister

Mysterious Streaks Of Light Over Southern California

Though that happened on March 8th and the debris in the video happened April 2nd.
  21. Min Bannister

Mysterious Streaks Of Light Over Southern California

The video is very impressive. What an amazing thing to have seen. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-68718343
  22. Min Bannister

Coincidences

Last Friday I was sitting in my front room and it was precipitating down pretty hard. I suddenly heard a load of water pouring in through the roof. I went up to have a look and found water dripping in at the join with next door. It is behind where the boiler is and it seems unlikely I would have...
  23. Min Bannister

Are You Rubbish At Sport & Games? This May Be Why

It is not a joke. @Steven wrote a jokey intro, that's all. And apparently wreaked more havoc than the time the BBC claimed that spaghetti grows on trees.:chuckle: Here is a snippet from the article. It is very interesting but I expect in reality there may well be many other reasons why some...
  24. Min Bannister

Please don't do that. It causes a mess that no-one wants to clean up, plus you forgot to leave a code word so that we know it is you when you come back to haunt us. Plus this thread gave me a laugh. :)
  25. Min Bannister

I don't think it was the Guardian that did the editing. :)
  26. Min Bannister

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

Adidas have been designing the German football team kit for decades but this year they managed to make the font for the numbers look a bit rune-like. If you were to put two 4s together they rather resemble the logo of the SS. Oops. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-68708981
  27. Min Bannister

Enid Blyton

Good point. I speak only for myself.:salute:
  28. Min Bannister

Enid Blyton

Yes. Secret passages, spies, steam trains, terrible geography, tea and biscuits. And a wee hint of Forteana. Good stuff. I hope some children watch this and not just us old folk. :chuckle:
  29. Min Bannister

Jesus: Truth Or Myth?

Yes, people get God confused with the Fairy Godmother all the time. :)
  30. Min Bannister

Fortean Podcasts

Agreed. People put a lot of time and effort into some of these podcasts. Why shouldn't they get some money for it? If they are not putting effort in and just stealing stuff from other people, then just don't listen and definitely don't pay.
  31. Min Bannister

Large Snakes

Complete and utter bastards.:incan::incan::incan:
  32. Min Bannister

What's The Most Boring Fortean Subject?

Interesting co-incidence as I was planning to reply to all this Crowley talk by posting that I was interested in him when he tried to climb K2 but that is it. :cool2:
  33. Min Bannister

The 'Obesity Epidemic'

One on level this is very true and I don't want to make out that personal responsibility does not matter at all. On the other though, it is a bit tough to expect every single person to be able to withstand the constant barrage of cheap, crappy and tasty food that is thrown at us all day every...
  34. Min Bannister

The 'Obesity Epidemic'

But how could anyone be confused by such useful biscuit measurements as "2/3 of a cup" and "1/8 of a packet"? :rolleyes: It's almost as if the manufacturer doesn't want people to eat less of its product.:thought:
  35. Min Bannister

What's The Most Boring Fortean Subject?

Conspiracy theories. They can be interesting but it often turns into just a few people Gish Galloping their way through page after page after page of internet real estate and I lose interest. Esoterica. I can't really say why I am not interested in it, I am just not.
  36. Min Bannister

The 'Obesity Epidemic'

With this and a few previous posts are you suggesting that there is an epidemic of rugby players and bodybuilders instead of overweight and obesity because I am not seeing it?
  37. Min Bannister

Mysterious 10-Foot Monolith Pops Up On Welsh Hill

I walked past a bookshop the other day and it had a book in the window titled How To Wild Swim. What? Just get in! There, saved you the money.
  38. Min Bannister

Strange Deaths

Yes, what a waste. :(
  39. Min Bannister

Ageing & Growing Old

A couple of the women in my swimming group are in their 80s which I am very impressed by. Both of them just plunge straight in and stick their heads under, even in January/February which is impressive at any age. I take about a minute to get my breath under control. I just found out today that...
  40. Min Bannister

Kids Today

Do you mean children are reading younger? Would that not be a good thing or is it negated by what they are reading?
  41. Min Bannister

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

However would the Lilliputians and Blefuscans cope? :chuckle:
  42. Min Bannister

De-Extinction

Trigger's broom had the benefit of previous broom parts to continue its existence. A mammoth would not have anyone to teach it how to be a mammoth. It would just look like a mammoth.
  43. Min Bannister

Untranslatable & Indefinable Words

Komorebi A Japanese word describing the dappled light filtering through trees and also a more general love of natural beauty.
  44. Min Bannister

Language Extinction / Endangered Languages

This page is a bit more helpful. https://www.bbc.co.uk/travel/article/20240221-sarkese-britains-archaic-norman-language There are also two different dialects between Big Sark and Little Sark!
  45. Min Bannister

Language Extinction / Endangered Languages

A linguist has spent many years preserving the old dialect of Sark of which there are only 3 native speakers left. It is an archaic Norman language. No examples given in the article though which is a bit rubbish...
Back