• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. bugmum

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Strangely enough, we turned it on just as the race started and randomly picked numbers for winners without knowing anything about them. I picked 5 - I Am Maximus...
  2. bugmum

Creepy Small Villages

We came out of Lustleigh the back way the other day - along Mill Lane, up to the Beck Falls Road, and then down to Bovey Tracey. The state of the roads, between potholes and mud, was appalling. Although we don't have an SUV, we do have 4-wheel drive, and I was glad to be in that rather than in...
  3. bugmum

Neolithic Finds

Ah, poor old Guthlac - had his skull pinched back in the 80s.
  4. bugmum

Conspiracy Theorists Think The Eclipse Will Begin A 'Massive Human Sacrifice Event'

Back in '99 when we could experience a total eclipse here in the SW of England, the In House GP and I dropped the boys off at nursery in the morning and drove down to Plymouth to experience the event. Typically it was cloudy over the Hoe, but it was still quite the day. Afterwards we dropped...
  5. bugmum

Camera Strangeness In Co.Down

I love the reference to the camera being in a leather holder. I can remember my dad keeping his camera - no idea what model - in a battered leather cover.
  6. bugmum

Coincidences

The In-House GP saw a chap yesterday who was complaining about a swollen testicle. The same patient returned today to see IHGP who gave him a thorough once-over (yesterday was NOT the time for thorough!) and diagnosed prostatitis, which is apparently pretty uncommon. He wanted to prescribe...
  7. bugmum

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Considering that the In-House GP does most of the hoovering at home, definitely the 21st century!
  8. bugmum

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Oh, this was over a week ago, and I don't know the cleaner well enough to go rummaging through his bag. ;-)
  9. bugmum

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I'm currently missing one but I have asked nicely and no sign so far. I reckon it's been hoovered up at work.
  10. bugmum

O, To Be In England...

True, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day!
  11. bugmum

O, To Be In England...

April is here and it's STILL bloody raining! Long-range forecast apparently suggests much rain until at least JUNE. Cue an increase in visits to GPs for depression...
  12. bugmum

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

They're often not that subtle. :)
  13. bugmum

Coincidences

The other morning when the alarm came on, Zoe Ball was talking about those little moments that make your day - in her case, an open motorway junction that was meant to be closed. On my cycle to work, I was mulling over various thoughts, as ever, and just as I remembered Ms Ball and her little...
  14. bugmum

What's The Most Boring Fortean Subject?

Whilst I try to keep an open mind, I can't say that cryptozoology interests me hugely. This may be down to my own prejudices in biology of "Ecology? Conservation? Sit in a field all day and count big furry things? Where's the challenge?" Working with microorganisms you can't see is much...
  15. bugmum

Lincoln (England)

I lived there for a year whilst doing my PGCE, but that was a few years ago now! Is the best secondhand bookshop in the world still halfway up the Steep? A proper higgledy piggledy L-space bookshop that smelt of old paper and dust. The Cathedral hill felt like the heart of Lincoln - I spent...
  16. bugmum

Harry Potter

Ha, you've never been to Totnes then! :evillaugh:
  17. bugmum

Harry Potter

Ummm, John Hurt WAS in Harry Potter - he was the wandmaker, Ollivander. *Shuffles feet awkwardly and sidles away into background*
  18. bugmum

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

I woke up quite upset from a dream in which I went to a party with some people but they then decided they didn't want to hang out with the birthday girl and her friends, so they went off to enjoy the funfair games in the back garden of the pub. I hung around uncertain as to what to do, then...
  19. bugmum

Ghosts Of Cavaliers & Roundheads

Extra credit for mention of the Who'd Have Thought It? at Milton Coombe. Used to go up there occasionally in my student days.
  20. bugmum

Did M.R. James Ever Meet A Ghost?

Members of the Fortean forum immortalised in print!! :evillaugh:
  21. bugmum

Superstitions & ULs Regarding Used / Second-Hand Clothing

I still have a couple of items in my wardrobe that were bought in the 80s when I was a teenager.
  22. bugmum

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I found two brass connectors on the floor under one of the lab sinks last week. Nothing's leaking, and I hadn't noticed them before, so I'm not entirely sure when they turned up. Next time I see our plumbing guy I will have to ask him; there is doubtlessly a simple explanation, but yes...
  23. bugmum

Coincidences

We were watching a Simpsons episode yesterday that featured tequila quite heavily. Once the television went off I turned on my music, didn't want the song that was playing so I fast forwarded the shuffle - to a song called "Tequila Does". Oh how I smirked.
  24. bugmum

Have You Got A Double?

Have you ever seen Angela Merkel and Louis Armstrong in the same room? :chuckle:
  25. bugmum

Creepy Small Villages

Badly constructed sentence! Would never have lasted from the Iron Age... ;-)
  26. bugmum

Weird Personal Names

Habbakuk and Mehetabel are some of the more underused Biblical names, not everyone was keen on Mary and Peter.
  27. bugmum

Haunted IPad

"Okay, okay, no need to shout. Just because I'm short..."
  28. bugmum

Haunted IPad

I have previously noted that my iPhone, playing music whilst I potter around the kitchen, seems to play tunes from people who have just died. This may be more of a reflection of my aging musical tastes than anything else. The most notable occasion was when Davy Jones of the Monkeys shuffled...
  29. bugmum

The QAnon Conspiracy Phenomenon

Oh dear.
  30. bugmum

Names & Linguistic Naming Patterns

My grandparents were all solid British working class born in the early 20th century - maternal grandfather had two middle names, maternal grandmother had one (which she actually went by rather than her given first name), paternal grandfather had one and paternal grandmother - not sure actually...
  31. bugmum

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Yeah, yeah. I've been mocked online before for use of the work 'scullery'. But that's what my mum always called it, and I just prefer it to 'utility room'. Less syllables, more economical use of language. :) If you want to call our little porch the vestibule, you'e very welcome. Lots of...
  32. bugmum

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Why do so many things occur at my kitchen sink? I was washing up the tea things and it was dark outside, so the kitchen was reflected dully in the window. I was gazing absent-mindedly at/through the windowpanes when my attention was caught by what I thought was the movement of a shadow. It...
  33. bugmum

AND another one. I was with some people at a county show, or some such event. We'd gone to eat our lunches in an area reserved for certain people - I'm not sure whether they were religious fundamentalists or radical vegetarians, but I do remember feeling uneasy about being there, although it...
  34. bugmum

Strange Coincidences?

As with any common name, it got twisted. The word "tawdry" is a contraction of St Audrey; items sold at St Audrey's fairs became a bit shoddy, leading to the use of tawdry to describe cheap and nasty goods. Jillian was pretty common in medieval times but became associated with women of poor...
  35. bugmum

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Did Les Holliday play in The Sweet? I taught both his daughters in Essex.
  36. bugmum

A long and involved one this morning. The first part has faded quite rapidly (although I don't think I'm actually a lesbian), but in the end, I was living in my first student house in Plymouth, where I lodged with a family, and I think I got fairy-led; I was trying to get back into no. 5, and I...
  37. bugmum

The Tea Thread

One of the lecturers who uses our office was keeping an open can of condensed milk in our fridge, which he was adding to tea. He claimed it made it taste like Thai tea. I have no idea what that is, but I say live and let live. Just don't try to persuade me to drink it. :-D
  38. bugmum

Coincidences

The In House GP drove down to Weymouth yesterday - about 50 miles or so - to collect a (very attractive) bench that he had ordered from t'Web. When he finally figured out where the workshop was, the man selling it said to him, "I'm sorry, I didn't make the connection before about who you were...
  39. bugmum

Coincidences

I'm not entirely sure what she DOES use it for. She doesn't drink tea or coffee, and has Cadbury's hot chocolate that doesn't require the addition of milk. Her cereal consumption is fitful. It's possibly just then for when her boyfriend turns up as I have seen him eat cereal, and there is...
  40. bugmum

Names & Linguistic Naming Patterns

Argh! Must - resist - family - argument - about - who - is - the - actual - doctor!
  41. bugmum

Coincidences

Mains powered fairy lights and door stops are not allowed, so I have my doubts about mini fridges. She'll be alright. She doesn't use that much milk anyway. If she buys it in smaller cartons her flatmates may be more reluctant to take it. And this is the first time it's happened.
  42. bugmum

Coincidences

I mentioned elsewhere how my daughter's milk had been plundered and I texted her about "milk thievery". About 30 seconds later my colleague came acrosss the office asking if she could be "a milk thief" and use some of mine for her tea. I graciously agreed, amused how we had used similar...
  43. bugmum

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Whilst drying up last night I noticed that the plastic ring from inside the lid of my work drink bottle was missing. This has happened before, so I searched for it in the kitchen sink, but it wasn't there. Puzzled, I turned on the main kitchen light and looked on the floor, but it wasn't...
  44. bugmum

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

The maintenance people testing the emergency showers managed to pull one off the wall on the floor below us, and nobody knew where the stopcock was. One of the post-docs put his finger in the hole for a while until we could locate a suitably sized plastic tube instead, and wait for someone to...
  45. bugmum

Childhood Memory

This is why cats are divine.
  46. bugmum

Russell Brand: From Comic To Icke-Esque Conspiracist & Possible Abuser?

Depends how shellfish they were.
  47. bugmum

It Happened To Me! Then I Realised It Hadn't

The Teenager flummoxed me this morning by texting a picture of her 4-pint milk bottle half-empty, "when it was sealed!" as she said. I asked if it had a hole in it, and the answer was no. But what I took to be a weird evaporation of milk through an intact bottle and seal actually turned out to...
  48. bugmum

I was in a seminar room with a whole bunch of smartly dressed people and a younger version of my dad was there, wearing the kind of light grey suit he used to have for work. He was due to give some kind of presentation, but as soon as he stood up and started to talk, the woman next to me (who...
Back