• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. T

Dodgy (Fake) Photo Evidence, Linked To Contemporary Ideas

Okay, for spirit photography check out the Mary Todd Lincoln portrait by William H. Mumler. PT Barnum famously testified against Mumler after it was discovered the 'ghosts' that were appearing in his photographs were living people! Barnum even had his own Lincoln spirit photo taken, to prove how...
  2. T

Cottingley Fairies

The daughter of Frances Griffiths made the claim on the recent Antiques Roadshow from Belfast. She spoke about how her mother had never really discussed the Cottingley episode with her and only came clean about the hoax when Elsie had admitted they had faked the photos to one of her sons in the...
  3. T

Grey Margarine

I did buy a tub of Stork in recent months, just for baking, but tbh I never really gave the lid a second glance. However, the Unilever website uses both 'margarine' and 'spread' in describing its Stork products.
  4. T

Grey Margarine

Yeah, my local Co-Op sells their own margarine and a variety of Stork products as well as having plenty of Flora and 'I Can't Believe it's Not Butter'-type spread tubs on display, too. Stephen Fry must have been trying to start a new urban myth unless he meant that type of grey marg - that you...
  5. T

FT246

FT 246 has just turned up and postie mustn't have liked the look of it this month (the plastic cover was intact for once) but it looks a good 'un to me. Articles: Beyond Darwin - evolutionary theories that got away! Missing Links - tracking Russia's man-ape (the Almasty) also...
  6. T

School Legends

Re: Bell Tower... Yep, my junior school had this tale, the bell tower was supposedly haunted due to this - as well as the suicide-by-pencil, too. We also had a haunted lavatory block - supposedly, a boy, larking about had accidentally got his neck caught in a towel roll dispenser, died...
  7. T

Andrew W.K. & His Doppelgängers

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cuw7tcftAoU That's probably his most heard-of track. Actually, I remember when it broke through over here. Even then, there were rumours in the music press it was Dave Grohl behind it all and had hired an actor to play the front man role.
  8. T

Cables From The Sky

It's an old joke: if you were asked to go and fetch a sky hook, you probably would also be asked to look around for some tartan paint and a long weight, too. IRRC, some Native American creation myths use a sky rope theme. In that, the sky was attached to the earth by a rope or vice versa...
  9. T

Spite House

Ooh! Thanks for reminding me about these. I recently read about spite houses on Neatorama and meant to look into them in a bit more detail: The House(s) that Spite Built It's fascinating to read up on some of the strange lengths a person will go to, just to piss someone else off!
  10. T

miniature piggy

A bat?
  11. T

Lilac Aki

I know of some of the better-known Wolverhampton eccentrics (shouty preacher man, 'Tex' the cowboy etc.) but I've never heard of anyone calling himself Lilac Aki. I should think if he is as eccentric as you say, he wouldn't have lasted long in Whitmore Reans - pulling stunts like that on...
  12. T

Spooked On The Job: Your Haunted Workplaces

Perhaps if people were interested in it, they could pm you for a very brief abstract of the case? :)
  13. T

UnCon 2008 perchance?

From the latest issue's editorial column, it seems this year's UnCon will be: No word on speakers as of yet, more to be revealed next issue.
  14. T

FT236

It's just arrived! From the cover, main article is 'Suicide Club' - looking into the recent suicides in Bridgend, the anatomy of suicide clusters and 'Gloomy Sunday' Other cover page doings: Personality Transplants - "when donors give much more than just their organs" Mrs Satan for...
  15. T

New / Non-Traditional Corpse Treatment & Interment Strategies

TBH I've never heard that phrase before but I can understand the theory behind it. Locally, most of the estates and houses are built over old coal or limestone shafts, marlpools and landfill sites. If there were any ancient burial sites in the area they would have been disturbed long ago...
  16. T

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Yeah, in the first episode, Donna had admitted to looking into various mysteries hoping to bump into the Doctor and she mentioned the bees in passing to him, then. I'm wondering if it is a pointer towards a later episode where the Doc finds out exactly what's behind the bee death mystery. Is...
  17. T

The BBC & Television Licensing Propaganda

The same thing happened at my mother's complex - nice to see it isn't just her housing association that couldn't find their arse from their elbow. We were given the same advice - buy a TV licence in the meanwhile - but she had turned 75 in between the time the HA failed to put the communual...
  18. T

Jaffa 'Cakes' & Biscuit Taxonomy

And then you have the Staffordshire Oatcake which is more like a pancake than a cracker! sidhegyrl - it depends on where you are visiting in the UK. As Rynner points out, no one really does 'high tea'* nowadays. I can only remember a few occasions as a child where the cake stand, best linen...
  19. T

Toilet Talk

Here's a news vid that has an interview with the boyfriend. Unbelievably, he states that he wants to look after her once she's been discharged from hospital. I wouldn't want to leave one of my houseplants in his care let alone his missus :shock:
  20. T

Revealed: Army surgeon actually a woman

Barry was reckoned to have been in a relationship with Lord Charles Somerset - governor of the Cape - and was his personal physician for some time. Apparently, the rumours of her having borne his child began well before her death, when she was stationed in Mauritius.
  21. T

Toilet Talk

I was recently discussing this with a friend. They didn't believe me when I mentioned that the medical staff had to surgically remove the woman's skin from the sofa (like the woman in the OP who had to have the toilet seat removed in hospital). 480-Pound Woman Dies After Six Years On Couch
  22. T

Embassy Paper Shredding

I saw the Saigon embassy story quoted recently with the news that some of the thousands of shredded Stasi files had been reassembled* but I haven't had much luck finding anything to back it up (or find the article I'm thinking of). That being said, I'm under the impression that the Tehran...
  23. T

Labour's Accounts - "Even Enron would be amazed.."

Osborne had declared the money to the Electoral Commission even though he (or his secretaries) stupidly hadn't registered it to the House of Commons. As far as I'm aware, a totally different kettle of fish from Hain's situation.
  24. T

Stephen King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one! I thought I'd struck gold when I discovered it was on the other night - I'd missed the series when it was first aired and there was naff all on the box. Jesus wept! It was bad. I switched over just as they were ambling around in a street that looked...
  25. T

Board Speed

Not to worry, what I mean to say and what I actually type is usually at odds with each other. You're right, the browser isn't causing the problem it is the the site itself. As FF works fine elsewhere, I'm loathe to tinker with my settings so I fallback to IE which isn't ideal but - as I...
  26. T

Board Speed

I'd hazard a guess at it could be your browser. This is the only place that I use IE - I rarely get timeouts. I find Firefox stalls and generally fritzes out. I know this has affected some users (although not all) but I do find Firefox stalls and can cause me login problems.
  27. T

FT230

I was chuffed to find it had been delivered while I was out. Recently, it's been turning up somewhat late. I'm looking forward to reading the Strange Siberia article.
  28. T

'Chupacabras' Again?

The Beeb's even covering this one: link
  29. T

Wakefield Roman ghost?

Click here - Wakefield Express - to see video footage of what may or may not be the ghost of a Roman soldier. via The Anomalist I'm not particularly sure that my first thoughts would be that it was Roman soldier-like. Anyone fancy speculating as to what may have caused the anomaly?
  30. T

Dragonfly or Insect Spy?

I wonder if someone in the crowd had one of these - link opens to a video page. It seems like the Flytech Dragonfly will be on most kid's christmas lists this year along with the Dalek-human hybrid mask and Baby Annabel:
  31. T

FT228

There'd been some pics circulating on the net about a Romanian chap with what looks to be the same condition. Note: If you're of a squeamish disposition, I really wouldn't click on the link: http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/03/m ... _enco.html Lewandowsky-Lutz dysplasia
  32. T

Superman Sighted in Romania

It is now ;)
  33. T

LITTLE PEOPLE (Book Recommendation; Faeries / Little Folk?)

That's pretty much it. IIRC the gcd_ usernames are people who have taken out a subscription to the mag. --- If you want to register again with a new username - it would be best to use a different email address - send me a private message with the details of the username & email addy that...
  34. T

Predictions for 2007

That was all tongue-in-cheek but Madge is to adopt Malawi orphan and of course, Jolie adopted Pax Thien in March. Indeed I am! Just for the record, I do not own any familiars and have only the two nips, thankyouverymuch.
  35. T

What Were YOUR Erroneous Childhood Beliefs?

:rofl: Aww, bless! :)
  36. T

Predictions for 2007

Re: Couldn't have guessed these... They do look like hits but if I'm being honest, they're very vague. I was going on what is usually in the news - the flooding, well, I was going on from last year's floods in the UK. It's been usual for the past few years that we'll be hit by them. Plus...
  37. T

When I was a kid, the people who used to live next door to us had a chiuahua. It really was an ankle-biter and it also constantly yipped day-in, day-out. My bro' and his family still lives in the old house and they've got new neighbours. Last year, I was talking to my sis-in-law and her...
  38. T

Okay folks, the thing is it was never our intention for anyone to feel patronised and no one is suggesting that anyone who gets a resized signature has broken any rules. Again, the resizing came about due to a bit of a problem we had with another poster's signature. I accept that maybe we...
  39. T

Nice imagery... Frobush: we only alter peoples' profiles if there is an issue with either an avatar or sig - as far as telling us not to alter your profile again, well I'm sorry but if you upload anything that we feel necessary to remove or change (for whatever reason, be it an oversize...
  40. T

What Were YOUR Erroneous Childhood Beliefs?

My mother would go spare if we whistled indoors, it was considered bad luck to the household. I guess that was an erroneous childhood belief as I still avoid doing it now (not that I now believe it is bad luck, though). I was also told constantly by both my parents (I paraphrase) that a...
  41. T

The Mysterious case of the swollen ankles

Firstly, I'd echo what others have mentioned in that our dreams can be influenced by outside factors, in this case, your sore/swollen ankle. I once had the most fantastic dream that I was walking along a path of hot coals but I could feel the soles of my feet burning. I woke up to find that I...
  42. T

Heroes

I agree. I'd enjoyed all the episodes up to to #20 but specifically, this is the one that 'did' it for me. The story was superb (IMHO).
  43. T

Aliens Are.... WITCHES!

Yeah, that theory was posited back in March when the initial reports were picked up by various sites and blogs. I don't know whether this quote has already appeared on here but from the link in my previous post:
  44. T

Aliens Are.... WITCHES!

Definitely a balloon ;)
  45. T

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I'd have suggested window cleaners (the ones who come out monthly to my mother's complex don't give a damn about respecting peoples' flowerbeds) but you say they haven't been trampled. Other than that, the flattened plants are crocosmia - the 'Lucifer' variety I planted for my mam were getting...
  46. T

FT226

The ABCD (Alien Big Cat Diary) has a good piece on some recent photos of a mystery creature on Dartmoor. The 'Don't send in the Clowns' article looks at why we fear clowns but also discusses the phantom clown panics in the US. Oh and the latest question in Mythconceptions... I always...
  47. T

Suggestions About Re-Organisation: Move & Merge Requests

I'll have to have a look for it. If it is still there I'll bump it, if not then feel free to start a new thread. Well, I'm not sure why it was kept in Parapsychology but I've gone with your request - the threads are merged and I'll move it over to Ghosts asap.
  48. T

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I thought "Bloody hell, is that the Rani??" but the nail varnish was red, the same as the Master's 'wife', Lucy. There was that close-up of her hand when she shot him. So, I think it was her - she'd travelled with him in the Tardis to the end of the Universe to create the Toclafane and it...
  49. T

FT225

Same here, I'll hopefully be ordering it asap. £10 seems a steal.
  50. T

The Fortean Times Book of UnConventional Wisdom

I seem to be in the minority here but I did get a free copy of this on the FT issue mentioned. I've got it in front of me atm and while it is a bit on the thin side, it has articles in it from the likes of Jan Bondeson, Peter Brookesmith, Tony Healy and our very own Gordon Rutter.
Back