• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. GerdaWordyer

Serial Killers

I thought that too. But a younger version. Reginald jr?
  2. GerdaWordyer

Who Was That?

The weather is getting a bit hot now. When I'm half awake the fan sounds can sound like talk, to me.
  3. GerdaWordyer

The Ouija Board

I really wish we still had the option of clicking a HaHa reply here.
  4. GerdaWordyer

Modern Funeral Customs

I wanted to go to a med school for study/dissection, but recently read that the option is so popular that dead folks aren't needed. There is a Body Farm in TX; I hope it's not too crowded for me when it's time. I want to solve crimes!
  5. GerdaWordyer

Fortean Headlines

6. GerdaWordyer

Fortean Headlines

Second place always tries harder. My hometown bulb. I'd seen movies in its original theater as a kid. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-palace-light-bulb-fort-worth-texas
  7. GerdaWordyer

Lost & Found

Noooo
  8. GerdaWordyer

The Sunday Scaries

Interesting to read how TV themes revive memories. In 1975, teen me hated school and mornings, so when a local TV station started showing "Monty Python's Flying Circus" late-ish on Sunday, my Sunday Dread became Sunday Bittersweet. I looked forward to it as the best thing on TV. But oh, when...
  9. GerdaWordyer

Great Quotations

I love her poetry. This is what got me started.
  10. GerdaWordyer

'Earworms' & Stuck-Tune Syndrome

McCartney writes tunes. They aren't all great, but even some of the worst can survive in cover versions. He has a place in music with Irving Berlin.
  11. GerdaWordyer

Those Word Coincidences

Efts are adorable. And a good Scrabble word.
  12. GerdaWordyer

They Fuck You Up, Your Mum & Dad

I dislked my name, Sharon, growing up in the early 60's. So solemn for a little kid. And my mom would not accept the friendlier Sherry, or the trendier Sher/Cher. I was so pleased to be dubbed Sally by so many friends in Jr. Hi. and highschool that my mother could not buck that tide. Hi, I'm...
  13. GerdaWordyer

Clowns: Evil Or Funny?

All the hate and fear (and evil in fiction) I see about clowns is about male clowns. Is anyone upset by lady clowns? I worked with a sweet woman who loved clowns and volunteered as one to cheer up sick kids. I can't imagine any creepyness cliches applying to her.
  14. GerdaWordyer

Simulacra

That's something I would not want near me. Creepy.
  15. GerdaWordyer

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

All butterflies and hummingbirds are lovely. Beautiful signs of comfort to you.
  16. GerdaWordyer

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Bast only knows.
  17. GerdaWordyer

Old Texas TV Show Received On British TV?

I heard this legend many years ago, and I so wanted it to be true. Alas, I trust that Snopes nailed it.
  18. GerdaWordyer

Eye Contact

I hate "frank" or "honest" eye contact. It seems so selfish.
  19. GerdaWordyer

Experiences With The Ouija Board (IHTM)

They are pretty. https://www.museumoftalkingboards.com/
  20. GerdaWordyer

Music Wars

I collect old etiquette books. They all advise you to refrain from discussing religion and politics at social gatherings. Music is now the topic you should refrain from discussing in all online and social gatherings. I dislike most music and have to restrain myself from savagely flaming some...
  21. GerdaWordyer

Music Wars

This has deterred us from eating at restaurants with perfectly nice food. Bah!
  22. GerdaWordyer

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

I remember this TV program when it was first run. Everything about "Family Affair" was horrid. I think some of the unattractive child actors had a sad end. Sad for all.
  23. GerdaWordyer

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

What a bittersweet page this is. I miss so many.
  24. GerdaWordyer

The Tea Thread

A cup of Lipton is horrible and bitterly too tannic. So the bags are perfect in summer for a big pitcher of iced tea loaded, thus diluted with ice. I wouldn't dream of using Lipton in winter. A nice cup of Twinnings is for winter--Assam, English breakfast, Irish Breakfast , or Lapsang Souchong...
  25. GerdaWordyer

The Ventriloquist's Dummy & His Bottle Of Milk

Nothing to add to the convo here, just: I loved re-reading the OP's tale. One of the creepiest (and weirdest--refrigerator?) posts I've seen here, and why I lurk here.
  26. GerdaWordyer

Childhood Memory

I have only one or two memories before the age of six, then after that I have lots of clear memories. I've always wondered if the skill of learning to read clarified and reinforced my perceptions. Perhaps leaving the nest and the socialization of attending school helped, though I attended...
  27. GerdaWordyer

I kind of hated and kind of loved the knotty pine paneling in my childhood family room. I looked at it; it looked back at me . It seemed pretty mysterious.
  28. GerdaWordyer

People You Thought Were Dead

Seems backwards that CLIFF! is still with us and Rik Mayall isn't.
  29. GerdaWordyer

'Murder Houses': How Does Violence Impact Sale Prices?

Wasn't the area around 10 Rillington Place redone? Not just the building. but some nearby roads?
  30. GerdaWordyer

'Murder Houses': How Does Violence Impact Sale Prices?

Some states and municipalities require sellers to disclose if a house has been the site of a murder or disaster, but we didn't think of asking about such things when we bought our first house in 1984. A few days after moving in. a creepy old neighbor gleefully (see, I said creepy) told us that...
  31. GerdaWordyer

Jack The Ripper (Compendium Thread)

A great early Hitchcock, and Ivor Novello was gorgeous.
  32. GerdaWordyer

Serial Killers

Motive? She apparently didn't revive them from the brink to get accolades, as some Killer Nurses have done.
  33. GerdaWordyer

Attending Strangers' Funerals: Crashers; Voluntary Mourners; Etc.

". . . at her local haunt. . . " :omg:
  34. GerdaWordyer

Human Bites & Biting

A classic perfect headline finally achieved!
  35. GerdaWordyer

Crow / Magpie / Corvid Superstitions

Not surprised that those jays fiercely defended their home. We had what seemed to be a clan of jays revenge one of their own after our cat got it. They dived at her as a group. She coward in a zucchini patch for days until they gave up.
  36. GerdaWordyer

Superstitions & ULs Regarding Used / Second-Hand Clothing

Check the bottoms and heels of the shoes for wear, check the inner soles for sweat, dirt, and general wear, and check local school history departments on when the last Black Death occurred. If all is well, buy the donated shoes. They are as likely from the dissatisfied as from the dead anyway. I...
  37. GerdaWordyer

John Wayne, Sacheen Littlefeather & The 'Six Security Men'

Dead heat. Brando and Wayne seemed pretty much dicks in real life.
  38. GerdaWordyer

Seriously Bad Taste Merchandise

Here's a nice opposite. Seriously good taste and the start of so many wonderful Matchbox toys: Their first major sales success was the popular model of Queen Elizabeth II's coronation coach, which sold more than a million models.
  39. GerdaWordyer

The Radio Nurse & The Guardian Ear

Saw that ep. The "nurse" design was deco, dark, and forbidding. Still, I can see that a rich family would want that present.
  40. GerdaWordyer

Endurance In Extremity (Tales Of Stubborn Survival Or Persistence)

This is a good book: https://www.armyupress.army.mil/Journals/Military-Review/MR-Book-Reviews/May-2017/Book-Review-038/
  41. GerdaWordyer

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

This is nicely strange minor strangeness, but the best part is the word floordrobe.
  42. GerdaWordyer

What Were YOUR Erroneous Childhood Beliefs?

I thought postage stamps upside-down meant "I love you" to the addressee.
  43. GerdaWordyer

Chronic Childbirth: Unusually Large Families

Don't these couples realize what causes it?
  44. GerdaWordyer

Miscellaneous Ghost Photos & Videos

Cobweb, soon to be dustbunny. Aww, bunny.
  45. GerdaWordyer

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

We have the Dorothy Scarborough novel "The Wind" and have seen the Lilian Gish movie once. They show realistic horror. Is the 2018 version based on, or borrowed from them?
  46. GerdaWordyer

The threat, by older sibs, of being flushed is the real terror. Never thought of that roaring noise as a threat, but it can't have helped.
Back