• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. E

Spooked On The Job: Your Haunted Workplaces

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but Haunted Workplace seems the most appropriate. I work in a modern retail complex (less than 10 years old) on the edge of a very old medieval English town. As far as I can tell it's built on land that's been open since at least the 19th century, although...
  2. E

Anyone Seen A Ghost?

First time visiting the new boards, have been an on off poster for quite a few years. Anyway, finally an interesting new experience where my first thought was I must post that. I didn't SEE a ghost, but I heard something that a lot of people might call a ghost a few days ago so it's fresh in...
  3. E

Abandoned, Disused & Ruined Places

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or Underground as it's both. In the basement of a shop I worked in many years ago there was a hatch about 4ft up on a wall. The manager and myself investigated - it lead to an entire buried street. You climbed in and there was a house opposite, the street...
  4. E

Spooked On The Job: Your Haunted Workplaces

It seems that I might. My workplace is old, built onto the foundations at least of a medieval property on a medieval street. The upper part looks like it was extensively rebuild in 18th century, with an extension on the back I'd say was latter 20th century. It's a shop and has been used for...
  5. E

Psychic Awareness In Dementia Patients?

It's not dementia related, but a similar concept of when the consciousness may separate from the body. My aunt had heart surgery while in her 80s. She was almost completely deaf, even with an aid her hearing was very limited. When she came round, for hours she could hear (no aid in). She could...
  6. E

A Friend's Deathbed Encounters

Church clocks chiming to keep the hours is far older than 19th/20th century - dates back to the 12th century (outside China - they had clock chimes even earlier than that) and the oldest surviving one in the UK is at Wells Cathedral and dates from the early 1300s. The quarterly chimes commonly...
  7. E

Ball Lightning

I have seen what I assume is ball lightning, last week in the aftermath of one of the big storms. I was sitting reading when I noticed my cat watching something intently in the top corner of the room, I assumed it was a bug of some kind and carried on, then when I next glanced up she was...
  8. E

Lucky Escapes

I know that bridge well and have driven over it more times than I can remember, and I can envisage the exact mechanism of that accident. Approaching the bridge from Cornwall is a very long and extremely steep hill, all 30mph zone, followed by a full 90 degree right turn onto the bridge. New...
  9. E

Winnie the pooh's sock drawer mission

I love these kinds of conversations, veering off into the very nature of reality. If two people remember the same event differently, and there's no other witness, then what is real? Is reality in fact absolute, or is it as plastic as our memories, and different for each of us? In my...
  10. E

ZebraCat & Ghost Pony From The Past [Photos]

I know the photos aren't that clear, but he looks to me like a large black and white BSH tomcat with freakish markings. All domestic cats have tabby just below the surface, and in the fur of black, grey, blacknwhite and greynwhites you can see tabby ghost prints in the right light. I have seen...
  11. E

Earthquake-Related Oddities & Weirdness

There's a lot of fracking goes on in Australia inc near Ernabella, and its known to cause earthquakes. Probably suspect no.1 for any unusual seismic activity in that area.
  12. E

Bad Vibes About People

I think there's a lot to be said for instinctive reaction to people, afterall we talking about millions of years of evolution as a social animal where picking the "good" from the "bad" could mean life or death. Children's instincts seem to be particulalry acute, unspoiled as they are by...
  13. E

Human feelings of 'spookyness'

I think whatever triggers these feelings, and I'm open to them being hallucinary, natural and supernatural in origin, it's an entirely natural survival insinct that's being triggered. I react very strongly to 'atmospheres' generally, and there have been plenty of places I simply like or...
  14. E

Ghost Tales From Everyday People

Right I have some time to post my one and only clear cut "ghost story". It was actually a house that belonged to some friends of mine, a standard 2 bed victorian terrace. Of the couple, the woman was open minded, the man very, very sceptical. My first impression when they moved in was the...
  15. E

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

It is a valid point. I have seen very few convincing photos/footage, though there are a few out there I think are pretty good. Most are not. I don't think this is as much of a problem as some make out though. Again, I draw on personal experience. I have lived most of my life in the country, I...
  16. E

Alien Big Cats ('ABCs')

I have been lucky enough to see ABCs twice, and both times with another witness. I grew up in classic big cat territory with repeated sightings in the area right through my formative years. My view was pragmatic - the occasional released/escaped big cat, with just maybe a sporadic breeding...
  17. E

Classic Archive Merged: Shadowman

This is actually one of the few fortean phenomena that really creeps me out, along with stickmen. Anyway, my story. I definately posted it on here years ago under an old log in, but I've no idea where. Can't even remember my old user name. This was in a flat in a period of my life many...
  18. E

Do You Ever "Ask For" Forteana?

I've actually done the reverse - asked things to stop when too much weird has been going on, and it's worked. Stopped immediately. Maybe I'm just not intrepid enough to be a Fortean Explorer? 8)
  19. E

An Abundance Of Foxes

Yep, but it's also down to evolution. Of course a fox is more than capable of killing a 4 month old kitten, and I'm sure they do sometimes, just like a rat can injure a fox, but their instincts generally tell them: Rats=Prey Cats=Fellow Predator That Could Injure Me Damaged eye, infected...
  20. E

An Abundance Of Foxes

The best I can do in limited time is link to this BBC article with 3 seperate sources referenced: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21409631 If you go back further, to say the 60s/70s when they were first appearing in urban areas, there will be an increase. But not in the last 20-30 years...
  21. E

An Abundance Of Foxes

:twisted: As far as I can gather the rather vague and ever shifting "facts" in this case, followed by my own thoughts: The fox got through a door that was left open because it was broken. The housing association (Pheonix Housing) issued a statement saying the repairs were made to the...
  22. E

The Place with no History

I had checked MA website before and there wasn't much - re checked and still, it's there, but very briefly with little discussion. Interestingly though I was inspired by this discussion to do yet another google trawl, and this time I found mentions on a few unrelated random forums from people...
  23. E

Saved From Harm

No, not a sign of it before or since. And it is the only time I've ever seen a dog in strange enough circumstances to be considered potentially supernatural. I also think there's something in what you said about an event not happening if you're not there - all our choices change so much that...
  24. E

Saved From Harm

Sorry I forgot I was supposed to be coming back to this thread, I didn’t mean to leave it dangling. Anyway, this is my story, I think of it as either a slightly unconventional Guardian Angel, the universe (or my own mind) having a bit of a laugh, or perhaps just some interesting and coincidental...
  25. E

Saved From Harm

Interesting thread. I have thought about it before and decided to take it on trust that if I need a warning I would just know, and that if there was any uncertainty or if I hesitated to question myself about it, then it’s worry and not precognition. Someone also said about where’s the...
  26. E

Heh. More along the lines my mind's been working. But I'm not too worried about the locals as I am one. There is, or course, always a creepier layer of LOCAL locals of whom I cannot speculate, but most of us are fairly sane. Though I have seen signs of Wiccan-type ceremonies there before...
  27. E

Well, kind of, actually :D I'm not looking for info on this site, though, just if anyone knows of any others with a similar profile.Which may well be a bit selfish. I have already researched it on and off for a decade and dug around a bit with the locals, and drawn a big blank. It's...
  28. E

Hi everyone I did post a bit on here some years ago, but have long since lost my log in, so this is my new first post. It concerns something that has been bothering me for some time, and this seems the ideal place to get some feedback about it. Rather than being related to a specific event...
  29. E

The Cardboard Cat

Well, I have to say I experienced an appearing and disappearing cat. I was sitting on the patio of an old flat on a warm sunny day, somewhere I had an awful lot of unusual experiences, with my own cat, gazing absently at the view. It's really difficult to explain what I saw, but basically...
  30. E

(OP-Deleted IHTM Set Of 3 Stories)

The lighter thing, I'm really not debunking the possibility that it was a genuine poltergeist type experience as I have had some pretty extreme objects moving/exploding/disappearing/rematerialising experiences when I was younger myself, but the time makes me a little cautious. I know I am...
  31. E

Personal Rememberence Of Altered Timelines

I just stumbled across this and found it very interesting - if you were to recount this to someone with a belief in reincarnation, I am sure they would suggest this is a joint memory of when you and your friend were perhaps siblings in a previous life, and lived in that cabin with the hand pump...
  32. E

A Lighthouse Phantom

I have to say that I feel that's either an outright fake or something genuinely paranormal. I have limited knowledge of photography, but I can't imagine any normal random phenomena producing such a clear image. Can 2 pictures get overlaid in digital photography like they would in the old...
  33. E

"Gnome" video, and my friend's "gnome"

It's just the sheer bloody weirdness of it that makes it so creepy. I for one am very glad it's a proven fake :wink:
  34. E

You're right, it's a different video. I feel better now - cheers :)
  35. E

There's not much gives me the creeps but... :shock: here too. Can someone please reply and completely debunk this for me, or I fear I'll never venture into my garden at night again :(
  36. E

Ghosts: Real Or Just Our Imagination?

I think that there is a combination of things going on. Obviously, if you're telling spooky stories and looking for ghosts, you are likely to interpret many things you wouldn't give a second thought to normally as paranormal. In that sense, talking about ghosts does make it more likely you...
  37. E

Interesting Photo

I'm aware that it's difficult to communicate direction etc with reference to a photo, so my apologies if I've fogged the issue, but just to clarify the river is flowing basically north to south, left to right, across the picture. I am at a slight angle to the river, meaning my camera is...
  38. E

Interesting Photo

:shock: No! Noooooo!!! I hate clowns, they've always given me the major heebie jeebies - as for ***** Pennywise :_omg:
  39. E

Interesting Photo

Call me paranoid, call me irrational, in fact jump up and down and call me whatever names you want, but I'm going to reserve the right to think about giving the exact location, because I don't know that I'm comfortable with it. Anyway, I'll be back in the area in a couple of weeks, so I had...
  40. E

Interesting Photo

I'm sorry spookdaddy, but I don't understand the need for giving an exact location? Conditions, land management, sun direction, time of day and year, nature of the immediate environment, yes, but why an exact location? What does that contribute to the analysis of a photograph? I'm not...
  41. E

Interesting Photo

No boats, it's on a much smaller scale, although it is possible in a canoe. I've heard of people doing it, but never actually seen one on that stretch. But the "deep channel" is about 5/6ft in depth, probably deeper at winter levels, no more than 4ft across and curving. The river is very...
  42. E

Interesting Photo

I've got half an hour, so I'm going to try and post the child's story. A small group of us, including 2 young children (5 and 6) were on a riverside walk. The 6 year old repeatedly wandered up to the river staring, almost walking into it, and seemed a little distracted. Nothing unusual so...
  43. E

Interesting Photo

Yes - the tree which appears directly in front of the object marks the far edge of a mid river island. Beyond that is a deep, fast flowing, though narrow, river channel. The other side of the channel is the far river bank which is steep and wooded.
  44. E

Interesting Photo

If that was the back end of a sheep, it's a pretty fortean sheep, because it would have to have been walking on water, and deep, fast flowing water at that :wink: I too have lens flare reservations, and there were no bright light sources in front of me. The sun was over my right shoulder...
  45. E

Interesting Photo

I think I'm getting what you're saying about the pixels now - each pixel is a fixed colour, so because of the low pixel count in the picture, it could appear larger than it actually was? So all you can say for certain, is it's 15x15 pixels? The size I've given it - 5ftx5ft - would only be...
  46. E

Interesting Photo

It is definately around 5ftx5ft - I know this area like my own back yard, the size of the island, the trees, the distance across the river. I've been on that island, and seen others standing there. You'll have to take my word for it, but the approximate size is not in any doubt at all. Rynner...
  47. E

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Almost certainly. I moved house about 6 months ago and I've never lived anywhere that's had as many flickering electrics, blackouts and power cuts - the neighbours as well, it's the area, not the house. No doubt surges are part of whatever is wrong. I need to invest in a set of circuit...
  48. E

Interesting Photo

"Beyond the tree" is nothing but a a fairly narrow, deep and fast flowing river channel, with a steep bank rising on the far side. No one could be on a lower level than the tree, because there just isn't one. BUT that outline is the closest thing I've seen for what the shape could be! It...
  49. E

Interesting Photo

Skunk Cabbage - just had a read up. They are distinctive non natives too (see above), and though large, the perspective and distance would make the visible part of this "object" around 5 ft tall. Also, it says it grows up in early Spring, peaks in June/July, and the leaves disentegrate and...
  50. E

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

It is a rhetorical question I know, but why has my microwave, toaster, kettle and hoover all gone belly up in the last month, and I've managed to (unintentionally) set fire to my kitchen 3 times in the last 10 days? I know electrical breakdowns tend to go in runs, but I've only set fire to a...
Back