• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. H

Mormons

From what I've read, the whole operation is flawed, and perhaps illegal. For example, the man named in the warrant is actually in Arizona, on probation. His record can be found online. Seems that the San Angelo sheriff's office couldn't figure this out. And now, it seems that the girl...
  2. H

Global Warming & Climate Change: Humans' Reactions & Responses

Water wars, eh? Only covers 3/4 of the planet. And melting glaciers and ice caps mean more water. More water in liquid form. Of course there's less to drink. For crying out loud, how can this stuff be taken seriously? Polluted water can be purified. Salt water can be desalinized. We can, if...
  3. H

Global Warming & Climate Change: Humans' Reactions & Responses

These latest data certainly help explain why the "Global Warming" folks switched to the term "Climate Change." They realized that their basic theory (Man is responsible for increases in the Earth's mean temperature) really doesn't hold up under much scrutiny. As mentioned above, we were...
  4. H

Odd Things Encountered On Mars' Surface

Perhaps, like the much-vaunted Face in Cydonia, it's an artifact of the landscape and the imaging process.
  5. H

Hormones Make Women Safer Drivers

Peni, it seems your editors really earn their pay. As for driving safety, age is a factor as well. The younger drivers, male and female, are more inclined towards risk taking behavior. The elderly driver is more inclined to be overly cautious. There are so many variables involved that...
  6. H

Small Town Overcome By Mysterious Ape Sightings

Considering th number of exotic critters that have become naturalized to the great state of Florida, as well as the number of people keeping exotics (licensed and otherwise), an orang on the loose is well within the realm of probability. From where I am in north central Florida, there are...
  7. H

Mammoth Survival?

There are stories relating that some species survived in North America until about the time of European colonization. William Corliss' Sourcebook Project Mammals II has several references to late survival of mammoths and mastodons.
  8. H

Squirrel-Rat Hybrid Inspiration?

Montyuk1, good thinking. It offers a solution that is simple and testable, and requires no unknowns to make it work. We need more posters like you here.
  9. H

STOP PRESS

OK, Bush is an evil dickhead. How does this tie into UFOs? Is there anything new in this? I see by the Google that Michael Schratt is a Chicago area "secret" aircraft historian and Star Wars fan. Does he actually shed any light on the UFO question, or is he just yammering about...
  10. H

The Shadow...

Tulpa/thought form?
  11. H

'Chupacabras' Again?

Looks like a big, ugly dog to me. And as PeniG noted, the original description of the chupacabras is nothing like the mange infested canines we've seen so many pictures of.
  12. H

Gas Heater & Mobile Phone Strangeness

Actually, Stu, I've started several thread that I thought were fairly Fortean in nature (for example, the way that "UFOnauts" have changed over the decades), and they haven't garnered much interest. Which is why I am sometimes churlish and petty. But I'll try your suggestion over the next few...
  13. H

Italian Church Dinosaur

Oddly enough, my first thought was of Bosch. The artist may have decided that a certain sort of shape was needed for that spot, and the painting is allegorical instead of representational. Religious paintings, and a painting in a church almost has to be religious, are poor place to look for...
  14. H

To address the Mod for a moment...to be perfectly blunt, the quality of posts and the apparent thought (or lack thereof) behind them is abysmal. There seems to be a lack of critical analysis, and a reliance on facile explanations. Posts that require the reader to consider alternatives, to...
  15. H

Nanotechnology

That is an ironic spelling, not an error.
  16. H

Hmmm.....cold weather and the car won't start. Cold weather and the heater plays up. Mystery!
  17. H

The Miracles of Jesus Christ

We seem to be missing a salient point here. According to George Lamsa's notes in his New Testament translation, the word used in this context can be translated as "on" or "by." L. Sprague DeCamp also notes the difficulty of Biblical translation in his book The Great Monkey Trial. Given that it...
  18. H

Harry Potter

This sort of exercise would work only with a writer who is not only a skilled craftsperson, but a known quantity to the reader. And even then, it ignores the fact that even good writers can make mistakes, and good editors can miss them. Some are obvious, some are subtle. So, the scene that...
  19. H

Different Types of Aliens / Extraterrestrials Encountered On Earth

As an observer of UFOs and Ufology for almost 40 years, there's something that I've wondered for some time now. Why have the aliens encountered changed so dramatically over the years? IN the 1940's and 50's, we had reports of human looking aliens from Venus and Saturn and such. From...
  20. H

Dangerous Dogs

Pits and other fighting dogs were bred for aggression towards other dogs, not people. Part of the fighting "ritual" involves strangers handling the dogs, and any dog that was snappish with people wouldn't last long. My experiences with fighting dogs is that they're very sweet and eager to...
  21. H

Pict Religion?

I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, and say he's self-deluded. I guess since the Celts are so popular, someone desiring to one-up in exotic religion has to go for the Picts.
  22. H

Dangerous Dogs

Greyhounds tend to be very mellow creatures. While some need socialization, they make excellent pets. We're very happy with our former racer.
  23. H

Dangerous Dogs

Mostly, the issue is that some dogs are trained to be aggressive towards humans, not that any given breed is intrinsically aggressive. The stats on deaths ignore the fact that the breeds that bite most often are smaller ones, and therefore less likely to do major damage. In my experience...
  24. H

Pict Religion?

Considering that the Picts were exterminated/absorbed by the Celts, anyone claiming to follow a Pictish anything is pretty much fooling themselves.
  25. H

Would you be Willing to Co-operate With Invading Benevolent Aliens?

What sort of credentials can you demand? Who certifies that someone has had actual contact with anyone/anything? have you examined the actual affidavits, and interviewed the people who supposedly made them? Anyone can cobble up a book full of wonderful stuff. Shoot, I could put together a...
  26. H

Would you be Willing to Co-operate With Invading Benevolent Aliens?

Considering that aid from various nations is part of what keeps the Third World down, I would have to say "No." You cannot be sure that any ET race, even one kindly disposed towards humans, would be a better choice than our current situation. Consider the analogy of humans and dogs. In the...
  27. H

Oscar The Cat. Occupation: Reaper

Considering Dodman's position, and having read much of his writings, I'd have to go with it.
  28. H

Oscar The Cat. Occupation: Reaper

Dr Dodman, mentioned in the original article, has noted that cats read body language "like we read books". He also mentioned that Oscar may be able to smell the biochemical changes that take place as a person dies. These are two possible means of Oscar's "foreknowledge."
  29. H

Nepal's "Living Goddesses" (Kumari)

There are multiple aspects to this story. Which one in particular is Ramon referring to? Just posting quotes gives little insight into the poster's thoughts. On the other hand, it does give ramon and stu a chance to renew their "relationship".
  30. H

And so I have. Perhaps with oblique approach, but still.
  31. H

Is there a point to six cut and paste posts without comment by the poster?
  32. H

Beware of Ufo Groups

How about locked and eventually discarded? Even by chat standards, this is ancient history (the dates are'95 and '96). MIghty Emperor, do your duty!
  33. H

Scary African Fish

Very popular gamefish, too.
  34. H

Creation Versus Evolution

Interventionist as in ET visitors? Go ahead and start one.
  35. H

Don't bother, Feen. Almondonly answers questions that it feels are worth answering, and the basics such as your quiries are ignored. Quite simply, he's trolling. Do yourself a favor and put him on ignore. You'd be far from the first one.
  36. H

Hurricanes & Tropical Cyclones (General; Miscellaneous)

It's not as if the dire predictions of horrendous hurricane seasons are in anyway accuarate.
  37. H

THAT particular theory is still current. Seems that the Amtrak yards outside Indianapolis are actually a FEMA "concentration camp". The evidence? The barbed wire atop the fences surrounding the yards is slanted in, to keep people inside the fence. Sure has me convinced! But wait! The Medinah...
  38. H

Thankfully, FEMA was still able to spend over $20 million here in Florida this year, mostly running puppet shows and "hurricane bingo".
  39. H

Magnetic Launch Ring

This is old news. Gerard O'Neill and company postulated such a device in the 1970's. See The High Frontier.
  40. H

It's also been noted that the area of the Atlantic where hurricanes form is actually cooler ths year.
  41. H

You can do your own homework, Almond. Now, I'm stepped into the middle of this, and so I must ask, what theory of the origins of life on Earth do you support?
  42. H

Almond, I refer you to the writings of Stephen Gould. In turn, references in his works will take you to other evidence supporting the theory. When you've read all of Gould, and the numerous resources you find beyond him, then come back and tell us of the lack of evidence.
  43. H

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

I was a Directory Assistance Operator in the Chicago area in the early 90's. DA calls were free from payphones, and we would get a chap calling from the payphone at the mental hospital in Elgin. He was known as the Area Code Man because he always asked for two area codes. But he would also...
  44. H

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

Johnnyboy, no coppers to call and run the guy off?
  45. H

How To Become Invisible

FWIW, the ninja have been way over-hyped. I believe that the incident H-james refers to is the ONLY incident where a ninja proved to be effective. Never heard of samurai being invisible. Being visible is what they were all about. People don't misbehave when the Warlord's soldiers are...
  46. H

Contrails & Chemtrails

It would much easier to accept if the allegations came for a disinterested 3rd party. As it is, the "news" supports the Observer's agenda. That makes it as unbiased as Gore's movie.
  47. H

Mennonites

Here in the US, the bigger farms aren't making it. A properly run small farm(less than 5 acres), especially one within a couple hours of a urban center, can gross $100,000 per acre each year. This is not your typical monocrop farming, but a fairly intensive rotational system. On the other...
Back