• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Krepostnoi

York (UK) Area: Dog-Friendly Fortean Days Out

Younger daughter D has a day-long class booked near York tomorrow. This means that I and the Kreposterous Kanine will be at something of a loose end between approx 9am and 4pm. Hence I'm looking for recommendations of places of Fortean interest in the broad York area (to give you a sense of my...
  2. Krepostnoi

The Logistics Of Tracing Particular Banknotes

A vague thought arising from the D B Cooper thread - the claim is that none of Cooper's banknote haul has ever been spent. Well, how do they know? Sure, they recorded the serial numbers of the notes, but what good would that actually do them? Assuming the ransom was paid in $100 bills, that's...
  3. Krepostnoi

Mount Royd, Bradford: Disembodied Heads

Does anyone happen to have a copy they could scan and upload of a photograph which purportedly shows two disembodied heads? It was taken on a street called Mount Royd, in Bradford, I guess in the late 1990s. The newspaper article probably originally had the photograph, but if so it's been lost...
  4. Krepostnoi

Ukrainian Security Forces Fake Assassination Of Putin Critic

This story is currently unfolding, and I confess I simply don't know what to make of it. Reports initially suggested that journalist Arkady Babchenko, a vocal critic of Vladimir Putin, had been assassinated. Now, it seems that the whole thing was a staged spectacle - a false flag, if you will -...
  5. Krepostnoi

Not Even If You Were The Only Male In The World...

This is quite an extraordinary story about a stick insect species that was previously only known to (re)produce females through parthenogenesis. Apparently, a singular male has been discovered. The species is numerous in New Zealand, but seems also to exist in the wild in Cornwall, where this...
  6. Krepostnoi

Peak Peake Piques Perplexity

It has been observed that this august site is inexplicably lacking a thread devoted to the singular yet multi-faceted talent that was Mervyn Peake. Let us remedy that shortcoming forthwith, then, for long before Yann Martel had his stories of tigers afloat Mr Peake had his tale of the life of...
  7. Krepostnoi

On the Lifting of Curses

It is safe to say that the Krepostnoi household is going through something of a rocky patch, just now. We have suddenly and fairly unexpectedly gone from having an idyllic existence in Malaysia to being destitute and without regular employment. We have had a major rupture with my other half's...
  8. Krepostnoi

Malaysia

The first of what will certainly be irregular, and possibly a series: we were invited by friends to stay in Port Dickson over the weekend, PD being the closest stretch of coastline to the KL konurbation (apologies: this is the Klang valley, not the Kerrang valley). On hearing of my Fortean...
  9. Krepostnoi

A request dressed up as an experiment

Dear all, I find myself on the cusp of a dilemma (the horns not yet being quite fully-formed). It is increasingly possible that I will shortly be faced with making what feels to me like quite a momentous decision, and I would be grateful for assistance. Now I know that there are plenty of...
  10. Krepostnoi

Forest of Dean

I have a few days booked in Cinderford - where nearby is worth a visit? The search has brought up references to smurfs, false widow spider outbreaks, and a haunted pub in St Briavels. My elder daughter, who has featured in these pages before, will be in the Youth Hostel there - I've a feeling...
  11. Krepostnoi

Revenant grandmother?

This clip is from a CCTV camera in my sister-in-law's workplace (she used her phone to film it from her PC screen, which is why it's a bit shaky in places). The shelf is in a store room. There is no obvious mechanism by which the object should have fallen. Extra context: the date is her...
  12. Krepostnoi

A sci-fi movie primer - suggestions?

My elder daughter is about to turn 12. Having shown little interest in the genre before - she had disdain for Silent Running, a few years ago, which seemed to put her off the whole thing - her interest was rekindled in a big way by The Martian. She enjoyed Close Encounters, recently, and was...
  13. Krepostnoi

Communing With Owls

All this talk of owls brings to mind one of my favourite urban myths: two near neighbours meet in the local shop. They each know the other's husband is interested in ornithology, so Jean says "Here, June, your Brian will be so jealous. My Keith was out in the garden last night, and he says to...
  14. Krepostnoi

Ferrous oxide cassettes used as defences

George's post in the scariest Fortean moments thread about placing iron objects around his abode and the ensuing decrease in strangeness has prompted a memory to rise of an alleged "modern-day" - although cassette tapes already feel like antique curios - defence against the supernatural. There...
  15. Krepostnoi

Computer Game Easter Egg or Cult Recruitment Tool?

As much as anything, it's the time delay that intrigues me in this story: the game is released, achieves quite a high profile, and then trends move on as they inexorably do and it sinks into obscurity. Is the anonymous gamer who drew attention to this easter egg some two years down the line...
  16. Krepostnoi

Jung At Heart

Mentions of Carl Jung keep cropping up in my life at the moment. I intend to take the hint. What have you found to be the best entry point into his work and ideas? Many thanks in advance.
  17. Krepostnoi

Llangollen and surrounds

Any interesting locations to explore in and around Llangollen? No particular preference as to genre of Fortean happening - all suggestions gratefully received.
  18. Krepostnoi

Digital Subscription - advice requested

Does anyone read FT on an Android device? How? For a number of reasons, not least a planned move overseas in a few months' time, I'm interested in finding a digital subscription to FT that will actually help support the magazine (I am led to believe that Zinio doesn't pass much money back to the...
  19. Krepostnoi

Chinese Seals in Ireland

My first encounter, as an impressionable* child, with matters Fortean came via the book "Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World". In one of the chapters, there was a discussion of Chinese seals turning up in Irish fields (unlike the recent Merseyside incident, these were porcelain document seals). I...
  20. Krepostnoi

Clifton Fever Hospital, West Yorkshire: Account & Photo

I happened to be recounting my second-hand encounter at the Burton Arms - see the haunted pubs sticky - to J, my next-door-neighbour, the other day, as she was due to be heading out in that direction. She heard me out, and then said words to the effect of: "I didn't know you were interested in...
  21. Krepostnoi

A Solitary Paw Tapping On The Windows

Hello, everyone, I'm a longtime lurker finally decloaking. This isn't the story I'd planned to tell, and it didn't even happen to me, but it did happen to my nine-year-old daughter, and I'm posting on both our behalfs (behalves?). It's quite long, for which I apologise, but I'd like to include...
Back