• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. zygmunt_rocks_on

Spooks On The Tube: Ghosts Of London Underground

The thing about Bank Station is that the platforms are comparatively narrow, the line is curved (which is why the trains make that hateful screeching) and the ceiling seems lower than other stations – though maybe that's an optical illusion.
  2. zygmunt_rocks_on

Swampy dies

There's an advert on London's LBC Radio at the moment, selling a "new development of holiday homes in unspoiled Cambridgeshire". Er, it's not unspoiled any more.
  3. zygmunt_rocks_on

Ghostly locations to photograph in London, any ideas?

This is a good place to start http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/londo ... nddata.php
  4. zygmunt_rocks_on

The Nameless Thing Of Berkeley Square

I think the bookshop is Maggs Brothers http://www.maggs.com/ There's a virtual tour of the shop on that website :D Which is still there. It's on the left if you pass through Berkeley Square heading for Oxford Street. More or less opposite Jack Barclay's über-posh car showroom. I...
  5. zygmunt_rocks_on

China: The Tomb Of The First Emperor (The Eighth Wonder Of The World)

I visited the Terracotta Army last year. Quite amazing. The farmer who discovered the army was in the shop, signing books. Until Clinton visited he couldn't read or write, and when Clinton asked him to sign a book he had to use a thumbrint, which caused him and the authoroties a great deal of...
  6. zygmunt_rocks_on

Fires That are Never Allowed to Die

I was reading an article recently about the 'stone age' communities of the Andoman and Nicobar islands. Some of the tribes are entirely hostile to outsiders (and who can blame them?), but one anthropologist who managed to visit them wrote that each tribe member's hut has a fire burning in each...
  7. zygmunt_rocks_on

The Alien In The Attic.

Alien found pickled in attic! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4685900.stm reminds me strongly of the dragon-found-in-a-garage hoax of a couple of years ago :D
  8. zygmunt_rocks_on

Man who lives in woods.

related (and good) news http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_b ... 343115.ece
  9. zygmunt_rocks_on

2000AD

Yep. Wolfie Smith came to 2000ad when it absorbed 'Tornado'
  10. zygmunt_rocks_on

:( Blimey. I have to say, I'd probably have just thought he was drunk, rather than dead. I've seen lots of comatose people on the last tube. But, still... Mile End ("Smile Ends"; it really is a grim station) is notorious for suicides... in fact there's a telephone to Samaritans at one end...
  11. zygmunt_rocks_on

WHAT? Tell us more! :shock:
  12. zygmunt_rocks_on

The Northern and Piccadilly have distinctive smells, too. I live in the East End, so I don't take the Northern or Picco lines very often, so I always notice the smell when I do. Takes me right back to when I first moved to London 13 years ago. In an article in the Guardian a year or so back...
  13. zygmunt_rocks_on

WWI Battlefield Ghosts

talking of Poland: My post frrom here: http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... ight=katyn Found this: http://www.castleofspirits.com/Australi ... hwitz.html (looks like a simulacrum to me) and from http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/11-20-2005-81901.asp "Kramer was camp commandant...
  14. zygmunt_rocks_on

Where do you buy yours?

I get my copy from what must be the UK's only non self-service newsagent. It's at Leadenhall market in the City (London). It sells everything, even the Yorkshire post, I was delighted to find. Basically, it's like a shop crossed with a market stall. You tell the old cockney geezer what you...
  15. zygmunt_rocks_on

WWI Battlefield Ghosts

dug this out of Fortean Times issue 28 (yes... twenty eight!). I've typed it out directly, so please forgive typos. 'In The Daily Express for mid August 1978, appeared a letter from a Mrs Helen Griffifth, who said that while crossing the English Channel in 1977 she "heard" the sounds of a WW2...
  16. zygmunt_rocks_on

WWI Battlefield Ghosts

I can't say that's my experience... I've found that the smaller the community, the more immaculate the memorial. Also, I've noticed that war memorials are often the only feature in modern towns to escape vandalism. Where we live, in inner London about the only place locally that isn't smothered...
  17. zygmunt_rocks_on

WWI Battlefield Ghosts

Likewise, almost every community in the UK, no matter how small, will have a WW1 memorial with more names added after WW2, and often from subsequent conflicts (1967 being the only year a British serviceman or servicewoman hasn't been killed in action). WW1 is treated as a tragedy in the way...
  18. zygmunt_rocks_on

WWI Battlefield Ghosts

I've read that... though as i remember it, it was a re-enactment of the ill-starred Dieppe Raid of 1942 (though how they could discern that, I don't know) There's also been at least one sighting of a D-Day era landing craft seen in the sea off one of the invasion beaches... it was flying the...
  19. zygmunt_rocks_on

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow: Origins

that's the one... and the flaming pumpkin :shock:
  20. zygmunt_rocks_on

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow: Origins

The scariest version of 'sleepy hollow' is the 1958 Disney one with Bing Crosby(?) narrating! Used to scare the bejaysus out of me when I was a kid. :shock:
  21. zygmunt_rocks_on

A Mysterious Smell Of Perfume

haha... we've just had a new roof put on, but the builders never mentioned a down-and-out behind the gravity tank :wink:
  22. zygmunt_rocks_on

A Mysterious Smell Of Perfume

We've lived in this house for just over 3 years now, and I sometimes smell cigar smoke (or very strong cigarette smoke), and occasionally the distinct whiff of unwashed body. I'd like to take this oppportunity to point out that neither of us smoke and we both take frequent shower-ers. :) The...
  23. zygmunt_rocks_on

Unhelpful Public Services

When I binned the hassle of registering, I ended up carrying my passport all the time... and in the end didn't even bother with that. I was only asked for ID once, when I set off the burglar alarm at work by accident, and showed the Polizei who turned up (armed to the teeth and about 20 of them)...
  24. zygmunt_rocks_on

Unhelpful Public Services

Voice recognition systems absolutely cannot understand my Yorkshire accent. I don't even have a very broad one. Britain's customer/public services are a joy to use compared to their German counterparts. I lived in Munich for a year and something as simple as buying a telephone card would be a...
  25. zygmunt_rocks_on

Plague Pits

There are a number of 'lost' mass graves from the English Civil War dotted around the country waiting to be found.
  26. zygmunt_rocks_on

School haunted by "bitter old nun"

From here... I like Dr Doherty's reaction to the rattling doorknob! http://www.leytonguardian.co.uk/display ... school.php
  27. zygmunt_rocks_on

Space Cadets: Reality TV blasts off to space...or does it?

seriously, i think you're on to something there. The fact that there seem to be more actors in the group than the 3 'official' ones seems to point to some other later, hoax being played on the non-actors, and the viewers. And... the three 'official' actors are supposed to be there as the...
  28. zygmunt_rocks_on

Just realised why the Scottish lad looks so familiar... ... He was in the recent Blood Donor TV campaign, which featured celebrities and the impact blood donors had had on them. Can't remember exactly but the lad in question was in the ad with Gordon Ramsay, as a blood donor. Don't know...
  29. zygmunt_rocks_on

Know what? I reckon it's going to be some kind of double hoax. For instance... that Scots lad with the big hair. He looks very familiar... in a bit-part-in-The-Bill kind of way. Also, when Johnny Vaughan appeared and told them what they were in for, their reactions seemed a bit 'actorly' to...
  30. zygmunt_rocks_on

Norman Time Travellers (TV Show; 1970's)

Bob Symes-Meganame was also Bob Symes-Shutzmann and Robert Symes-Shutzmann before settling on Bob Symes! This reminds me (a bit) of the film "Les Visiteurs" from 1993 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108500/ some pictures here: http://membres.lycos.fr/jeanreno/englis ... otos1.html
  31. zygmunt_rocks_on

websites

I like the ever-growing http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/ it gives brief descriptions of literally thousands of hauntings and other Fortean stuff. Nicely organised and clutter-free. As Forteans i'm sure you've also experienced the read-it-dozens-of-times feeling, especially when it...
  32. zygmunt_rocks_on

Over Emley Moor

yep... Yorkshire Dialect for "without a hat"
  33. zygmunt_rocks_on

Rattlebones Inn & Other Pub Names

Talking of Bucket Of Blood... That was the original name for the marvellously rickety and relatively unspoiled (it'd be even less unspoiled if they'd left the wobbly old partition in, but that's another story) Lamb And Flag in London's Covent Garden. I think the name came from the bare-knuckle...
  34. zygmunt_rocks_on

Over Emley Moor

here's a pic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emley_Moor the original fell over in 1969! I heard a Radio 4 documentary some time ago about the collapse... two workmen had to run for their lives from the hut they were in. Seconds later the tower fell right through it. :shock:
  35. zygmunt_rocks_on

Over Emley Moor

Might be worth pointing out that Emley moor has a huge TV mast, too. Tallest structure in the UK, I think.
  36. zygmunt_rocks_on

Ghost Trains?

quite a few here, all rather briefly described: http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/reports/rail.php I really like the Paranormal Database... it's a great "jumping off point" for more digging about on the interweb!
  37. zygmunt_rocks_on

Plague Pits

That is certainly true. i was living in that area at the time and I remember it well, though IIRC the bodies were found on a street leading from Upper Street to Essex Road... I think it might have been Gaskin Street, or the next street toward Highbury corner. When the shell of St Luke's...
  38. zygmunt_rocks_on

Plague Pits

Sorry... I'm getting confused with the bowling green at Finsbury Square (which definately does have an NCP car park underneath!)
  39. zygmunt_rocks_on

Buried Alive: Premature Burial (Fears; Incidents; Precautions)

I lived about a hundred yards from Christ Church, Spitalfields for several years. Not sure about the VAULTS being a "medical clinic for the poor"... The CRYPT has long been a drop-in centre for the homeless alcoholics (something synonymous with Spitalfields/Whitechapel for hundreds of years)...
  40. zygmunt_rocks_on

Plague Pits

not to doubt you, but isn't there an underground car park beneath the bowling green? According to our very knowledgeable guide on a London Walk a couple of years back, there is certainly a mass grave not far away at the very Fortean Charterhouse Square. There were also pits at East...
  41. zygmunt_rocks_on

Crackling Rose and other apocryphal(?) drinks

A couple of years back I saw a down-and-out in a shop doorway swigging from a refill bottle of Windolene (a window cleaning agent that comes in a trigger bottle)! This was just off Hanover Square in London.
  42. zygmunt_rocks_on

Tall, Dark and Evil - Sightings Wanted?

Most of the stories in that book I've read neither before or since. Some are actually pretty moving, especially one called "My Son, My Son".
  43. zygmunt_rocks_on

Sailors right with oily solution

IIRC, In Dougal Robertson's book 'Survive The Savage Sea' there's a picture of when the family are finally rescued, showing the Robertson's lifeboat and the rescue vessel. The water between the boats is flat calm, having been covered in a slick of turtle oil thrown overboard by Dougal...
  44. zygmunt_rocks_on

Tall, Dark and Evil - Sightings Wanted?

That is a fantastic book... the best book of 'first hand' accounts I've ever read. Very atmospheric illustrations too.
  45. zygmunt_rocks_on

Bodies Entombed In Concrete (Buildings, Roadways & Other Structures)

Reminds me of the fate of Captain Robert Nairac. Abducted and shot by the IRA in 1977. His body was never found, but it was allegedly fed through an industrial mincer and buried in the Armagh countryside somewhere. :(
  46. zygmunt_rocks_on

Haunted Waterways

this is a repost from here: (unrelated to this topic though) http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/posti ... ly&t=11167 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ the highly dangerous 'strid' near Bolton Abbey in Yorkshire is meant to be haunted by a white...
  47. zygmunt_rocks_on

Little black hole on the bedroom wall

I'm sure I've read a similar account -I think it was on here... in FT, or in StrangeMag- a similar story, but kind of in reverse... the person relating the story was lying in bed, when they felt a tugging on their hair... when they looked there was a hole in the bedroom wall with an arm coming...
  48. zygmunt_rocks_on

Italian Church Dinosaur

my own theory about dragon-slaying is that it's a metaphor for overcoming disease. I have a memory as porous as a sieve, but IIRC, there's a contemporary account following the battle of cadbury castle (somerset) which went along the lines of a dragon forming itself from the bodies of the...
  49. zygmunt_rocks_on

Pub scares

Because a lot of them are very old and almost constantly in use? With the exception of churches pubs are often the oldest building in many towns. Many pubs claim to be the oldest... for example, the Bingley Arms in Bardsey , Yorks claims to have been built in 905AD... it's easy to imagine the...
  50. zygmunt_rocks_on

Impotent ghosts

In Peter Moss's excellent book "Ghosts Over Britain" (published in 1977) there's an apparent 'Night Hag' encounter where the victim is nearly choked in her bed by a ghost that says "and NOW you'll believe in ghosts" over and over again. Also the 'Hairy Hands' of Dartmoor have reputedly caused...
Back