• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. OneWingedBird

Finding A Laptop In The Street That's Rigged To Steal Your Info

This story was told to me by a work colleague recently, I'm curious though if it's actually a thing. Colleague reckons she found a laptop in the street under her car so se picked it up, took it inside and powered it up to see if she could find out who it belonged to so that she could return it...
  2. OneWingedBird

Unfortunate Rubber Dress Mishap

This is a story I just remembered someone telling me wayback, possibly as a bit of a FOAFtale. A woman goes out to a rock club wearing a skin tight rubber dress, later in the evening she's dancing on a packed dance floor and just as she strikes a pose, the rubber splits clean down the lentgh of...
  3. OneWingedBird

Newcomers To The Bingo Hall Win On Their First Visit

I heard this suggested at work today. I don't know from sh*t about bingo so no idea how plausible it is, just I tend to assume it's as rigged as everything else. The suggestion is that when a new person goes to a bingo hall it's set up so that they win on their first visit so that they will...
  4. OneWingedBird

Magic Cards With Dangerous Levels Of Radioactivity

Not sure what the point is of selling irradiated fake cure cards when you could just sell non-irradiated fake cure cards? Msn
  5. OneWingedBird

Razor Blades Found In Tennis Balls

Can't see a specific thread for this though we have baby food and chicken sandwich varients for razor blade adulteration. Daily Mirror
  6. OneWingedBird

Winning Theatre Tickets From A Competition You Didn't Enter

I think I heard this story wayback though it's just bubbled up in my memory this week. A couple who live in a nice house get a letter telling them that they've won theatre tickets as a prize in a competition. They don't remember entering the competition but figure they maybe forgot, or maybe...
  7. OneWingedBird

The Expanse

Thought I'd start a thread on this as there doesn't seem to be one - have only just discovered it after hearing it get name checked on a few (factual) space sciencey youtube channels. It's interesting to see a science fiction series where the science is relatively grounded, having a drive can...
  8. OneWingedBird

Biometric Bilocation

As with the Space Pigeons thread, I strongly suspect a technological explanation for this, thought I'd share it as it's still well weirded me out. On Wednesday I was sat at my desktop in the attic doing a bit of job hunting when I got an email from my gym informing me that I'd just checked in -...
  9. OneWingedBird

Looking For A Picture Of A Quasar Blasting A Nearby Galaxy

I remember seeing this a few years ago, can't remember the name of the objects though and far enough out they're probably index references rather than proper names. Main thing about it is a quasar where one of the polar jets cuts straight through a nearby galaxy and there is a cloud of stuff...
  10. OneWingedBird

Space Pigeons In My Attic

I'd heard this sound a few times over the last few days, a couple of years back the house at the back of mine had a hole in the roof that had pigeons roosting in it and this sounded so similar I just assumed at first, something did seem a bit off though and today I started to suspect it was...
  11. OneWingedBird

Using Lasers To Transmit Targeted Sounds & Messages

Little voices in your ear that only you can hear? So much scope for this to be horribly abused. Science Alert
  12. OneWingedBird

Thousands Of Papers On Nuclear Weapons Pulled From National Archives

I have no idea what this is about - anyone else have any ideas? https://www.rt.com/uk/447293-nuclear-weapons-archive-atomic/
  13. OneWingedBird

Erdstall Tunnels

Apologies if we have a thread on this already, nothing is searching up for 'Erdstall' - I hadn't heard of these before. Seems like when an archeologist doesn't know what something was for they always pin it on 'ritual'. :rofl: Atlas Obscura These things scare me, do not like tight closed...
  14. OneWingedBird

Sun Ra and the Diplomatic Liability

This is a story I hadn't heard before, happened across it on his wikipedia page sans citation... a bit of a google round doesn't bring up much that probably didn't come from there to begin with, so could just have been made up. Still a colourful tale:
  15. OneWingedBird

Snopes Accused of Fraud, Prostitution and No Fact Checking

Our strange world where the fact checkers become the fact checked, according to those Fawkes faced funsters at Anonymous: Anonymous
  16. OneWingedBird

Assisted Suicide - The Musical

I thought this needed it's own thread as assisted suicide in relation to disability rights is a very different issue to some of the broader issues around the topic - it's regarded with great fear and as an opportunity for incovenient people to be surrupticiously disposed of. Described by it's...
  17. OneWingedBird

Blue Whale Suicide Game

I can't quite get my head around how this works or bad the blackmail material on someone would have to be for them to off themselves over it. Thought at first this was made up, Siberian Times news story seems legit though (contains pics of dead girl, not particular clear or graphic). AnonHQ...
  18. OneWingedBird

The Seven Sisters: Neverwhere sequel

As we don't seen to have a Neverwhere or general Gaiman thread, and it seemed off to derail American Gods with this, here goes. Follow on to Neverwhere in the pipeline, actually sounds like he has some good ideas behind it: Syfy
  19. OneWingedBird

Great video on biblical translation

This has blown my mind a bit, knew the translation was pretty ropey in place but this takes it to a whole new level - just picking apart the first line is quite something in itself:
  20. OneWingedBird

Metatron's Challenge to Codebreakers

Thought I'd share this in case anyone here is up for it, I find the subject curious and to a degree the methodology although I've never actually tried it first hand and am no way upto this. Perhaps someone else here is. I think it's a given, from his intro, that he's encrypted at an early...
  21. OneWingedBird

Suspiciously Whale Shaped Carcass

Unusual perhaps to have this much sealife attached to it, usually they just look decomposed and incomplete: [urlhttp://Torygraph"]www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/11/mysterious-object-washed-new-zealand-beach-divides-opinion/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw]Torygraph[/url][/url]
  22. OneWingedBird

Ribena / Blackcurrant Juice Tasting Like Old Socks

Today a colleague at work was mentioning finding an old sweaty jumper that smelt bad and she said it reminded her of blackcurrent juice. This surprised me, because I've always found Ribena has an aftertaste of old socks for me, but just assumed that was just me... seems not. Does anyone else...
  23. OneWingedBird

Evacuation Song On Jukeboxes In Irish Pubs Cira 80s

I got reminded about this U/L fron the supermarket/train code video I dropped in Good Stuff Online and figured it could do with it's own thread... I know it's come up here in passing before but I'm going way back and don't recall it being explored. The story is that Irish pubs in the UK cira...
  24. OneWingedBird

What's She Gonna Look Like With A Chimney On Her?

One of my colleagues at work has been getting reaquainted with 90s dance music, never cared for it much but of course I just had to tease her about this track which has the most ridiulous lyric - "What's she gonna look like with a chimey on her?" So I had a google around to see if it was just...
  25. OneWingedBird

Dreaming Before You Go To Sleep

Not eactly high forteana, more something I've experienced on and off for a lot of my life though sometimes not for years at a time. It's happened a few times recently so I thought I'd bring it up and see if it's one of those things that's really common that people just don't mention. Usually...
  26. OneWingedBird

Kisuragi Station: The End Of The Line

I came across this particular allegedly true story on a yoochube vid I was watching, or more to the point listening to, last night, the story is second up: A bit of a google around seems to suggest that there is no actual place called Kisuragi station, also that the story originated on 2-chan...
  27. OneWingedBird

Zombie Knife Ban To Suppress The Idea Of Apocalypse?

This is a new theory to me, which I came across on the video below: I have to say that I think he may be onto something, the ban isn't to materially stop people preparing for the end of civilisation, as there are more effectual knives that aren't banned... it's more about keeping the lid on...
  28. OneWingedBird

Monster Raving Loony Party Election Wins

I have to admit to never having realised before that they'd actually won seats a couple of times, according to the Great God Wiki: The second bit is a bit naughty as it was technically a breakaway group that won rather than the main Monster Raving loony Party, also the guy then defected to...
  29. OneWingedBird

Attack On Titan

Couldn't see that we have a thread already for this great anime about human survivors inside a walled city, surrounded by the titans. Trailer is out now for the live action version, looking good: The titans massively creep me out with their one facial expression! I could never quite get my...
  30. OneWingedBird

Post-Tsunami Vanishing Taxi-Passengers In Bangkok

This is not a story I'd hear before, though it has a lot of similarity with our phantom hitch hikers. Peter Christopherson tells about taxi drivers in Bangkok all talking about this after the 2004 Tsunami, it seems to have been regarded as a fairly common ocurrance for a taxi driver to pick up...
  31. OneWingedBird

UK Psychic TV dates, 7th and 9th November

I'm not affiliated or anything, just thought I'd plug this as it's a rare thing that they play the UK these days. They're on at Shepherd's Bush Empire on 7th November and http://www.thewardrobe.co.uk/event/2467/]The Wardrobe in Leeds on 9th Genesis P-Orridge is a fairly Fortean character in...
  32. OneWingedBird

Getting Hacked For Your Name And Address

I've been watching a few creepy videos about people's alleged experiences with the deep web, a common theme in these is that a person logs onto a site, to find that they;ve got a live chatbox or video link from a stranger, who promptly tells the person their legal name and street address. :eek...
  33. OneWingedBird

Pokémon GO Madness

I'm forseeing a lot of upcoming 'sat nav disasters' type stuff with Pokemon GO, as people try to get in places they would be better off not to as part of the game. It sounds a lot like the 'enhanced reality' from the anime Robotics;notes where objects in the virtual world are overlaid on the...
  34. OneWingedBird

The Chinese Dumping Masterplan

That's dumping, not dumpling! It seems to be prohibited in most countries, however the vagaries of actually proving it seem problematic: Some sources suggest the process can take years, by which time, even if proven, the damage is already done. Wikioedia definition Steel is a particular...
  35. OneWingedBird

Car theft by laptop

I've a vague notion I'd heard of something similar from a lady I worked with a while back, though I forget if it specifically involved a laptop or unspecified electronic device. Seems unconfirmed so I'll put this here for now, this came my way on Twitter c/o Anonymous: MarketWatch Not sure...
  36. OneWingedBird

Movies and shows that got their Titus Andronicus on...

I was thinking about this as I've come across the classic 'child pie' trope twice in the last couple of weeks. Was catching up on Gotham Season 2, this effort from Penguin is, as with most things for that character, beautifully, erm, executed: Game of Thrones did it in the last episode of...
  37. OneWingedBird

Guerrilla Grafting

If the more gruesome were hoping for something along the lines of the Batman villian Dollmaker, sorry to dissappoint... just plants. For now anyway. http://www.odditycentral.com/news/the-guerrilla-grafting-movement-secretly-grafting-fruit-bearing-branches-onto-ornamental-city-trees.html
  38. OneWingedBird

Death by Piss Javelin

Incidentally also a great name for an act I once saw who introduced the concept to me. The idea is that the contents of a flushed toilet on an aircraft can freeze into the so called piss javelin, with lethal results for anyone on the sharp end of it. A quick google did turn up this image...
  39. OneWingedBird

Cholmley Griffin

I'd never heard of this before, but happened upon the statue in the pic below in the large back garden of what's now Whitby Youth Hostel. I had taken it to be a dragon, when I asked at reception though they said it was the Cholmley Griffin, which appears on the Cholmley family coat of arms...
  40. OneWingedBird

Silent Holocaust

This reminds me of the mindcontrol.com stuff - no idea if it's the same guy behind it, mostly about the alleged existance and influence of radio frequency weapons used to destabilise people's mental health: The main website seems to be http://tisos.weebly.com/ which offers patents of said RF...
  41. OneWingedBird

Metal detectors can identify the metal strip in banknotes

I haven't heard this particular tale before, it came up at the weekend when I was chatting to the guy at my local health food shop - I had no idea he was into tinfoil hat type stuff. Anyhow, he was saying that there is a theory that the metal strip embedded in banknotes can not only be detected...
  42. OneWingedBird

World Terrorism Blacklist

Well worth a read of the whole thing, this is getting to be a huge database of 'terrorists' many of who seem to have been accused online because reasons: Vice news
  43. OneWingedBird

Biblical Spam!

Has anyone else had this? I'd never heard of such a thing, then lately, I've had a few of these come through my work email: Now that I think about it, perhaps blessing them with bibles=giving them the money?
  44. OneWingedBird

Book of Kells free to view online

The library of Trinity College Dublin have kindly made the whole thing available to view online: http://www.tcd.ie/Library/news/2013/03/book-of-kells-now-free-to-view-online/ Apologies if there's a book of Kells thread somewhere, search isn't playing ball today.
  45. OneWingedBird

Orwellian reversal: The Centre for Social Justice

Peace is war, freedom is slavery... but what does The Centre for Social Justice do? Hard to tell what sort of 'social justice' their into from their website. Looking at their board of directors though: Cara Usher Smith - "From 2001 to 2003, Cara worked as Iain Duncan Smith's Constituency...
  46. OneWingedBird

Melanie Shaw and the Nottingham Noncing cover up

This isn't a case I'd heard of before and it doesn't seem particularly easy to find a lot on it from the mainstream media. Some parts of the story are extremely plausible, post Rotherham and post some of the children's home scandals the claims themselves, while grim, don't seem particularly...
  47. OneWingedBird

Weird Infrastructure Ray Gun Type Thing Over Parliament Square

This came up on my twitter feed, someone spotted this thingy on a rooftop over Parliament Sqaure: Does anyone know what the frak it is?
  48. OneWingedBird

A Particularly Attractive and Well Groomed Crow

This happened around 8.30am a few days ago, it's hard to describe how odd it was but I'll have a go. So I've just come out of my gym and this large black bird is there sat on top of a car only a few feet away from me, and it's fairly still, just looking around a bit. The odd thing was I...
  49. OneWingedBird

Painting Shapes On Your Face To Fool CCTV Recognition Algorithms

This story was told to me last night by one of the women in my yoga class, I was saying that I was going to a demo and she reckoned that if you paint a large black triangle on each cheek, it buggers up any facial recognition software the CCTV is run through by making it think your eyes are in a...
  50. OneWingedBird

Le Pot de Chambre: French Pisspot Wedding Tradition

I'll admit to only having heard of this because a friend recently went to a wedding in France and came back talking about it... I actually asked her if she was kidding me because this sounds so bonkers: Description here: Friend said that the one they had contained chocolate milk, that didn't...
Back