• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. N

Anyone have any strange writing?

Recently we picked up a 1957 reprint of The Third Eye, The Autobiography of a Tibetan Lama by Lobsang Rampa at a secondhand bookshop (where else?). Bookmarking one of the pages was a yellowed newspaper clipping revealing the 'hoax'. It's sitting on the shelf next to my second edition copy...
  2. N

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

In the so-bad-it's-good catagory comes the modern B-Movie: The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. Shiver in terror at the special effects. Cry in horror at the astounding dialog. Pee yourself with laughter at the corny script. I only hope it's released over here....
  3. N

Caduceus and DNA, the Twined Helix of Life

Cadceus and DNA, the Twined Helix of Life It's blindingly obvious I know but what thinks you on the simularities between the entwined snakes of the Caduceus , ancient and modern symbol of medicine and the double helix of DNA? Coincidence or did the ancients know more than we care to realise...
  4. N

You'll Believe A Man Can Fly!

Skydiver plans Channel flight Well he's hardly faster than a speeding bullet, and I think he's a nutter, but I wish him good luck. :D
  5. N

Obligatory Blurry Photograph

This classic glowing "daylight disc" was spotted over Aberdeen in late Febuary of this year. The two witnesses, one of them the photographer, noticed this through a slightly ajar, eastward facing, window (The catch of which can be seen in the bottom right corner of the image). It was early...
  6. N

Something Odd Down Oxford Kidneys?

An Oxford based buddy of mine has heard of uncanny doings and rum goings on down the Oxford Kidneys. Something about "Men in Black" (or black figures ) and much undefined 'oddness'. Any of our Oxford members know anything about the area because, despite living there a number of years I've...
  7. N

Scambooty

I was smurfing the net seeking an obscure fortean drinking song when I stumbled across this . Okay now I'm worried ;) PS: It's flash...
  8. N

BBC UFO WEBCAM

You folks see this ? Niles "UFO FLAP" Calder
  9. N

Christ's Ascension: Physical or Spiritual?

Okay, I'll admit to being a fan of a particular Tom Robbin's book. While reading it with my very own Amanda a singular question was raised: "Did Christ ascend to heaven physically, or did he do so in spirit only?" Now it's fairly certain that the reserrection, as reported, was a physical...
  10. N

Handedness: What's Yours?

What is your handedness? Are you a Southpaw or a North? Do you have some kinda funky inbetween? What are your thought on handedness? Niles "Suppressed Sinister, with learned ambidexterity" Calder
  11. N

"Reality Quakes"

Despite having enjoyed Robin Simmon's talk on Noah's Ark at Uncon I was more than a bit puzzled. Now I could mention Simmon's weak objectivity, his clandestine faith, reliance on third party evidence and (apparently) remote viewing, but none of this is what has me puzzled. The photographs of...
  12. N

Unforgivable Sin?

A friend of mine recently told me that, according to the Bible, God will forgive all sins except one: Insulting or taking the name of the Holy Ghost in vain. Do that and you've bought yourself a one way ticket to Hell. He offered this as a test to see which of us had completely thrown off...
  13. N

Scientist Say "Hypnotism Is For Real"

Scientist Say "Hypontism Is For Real" Independent, 18-02-2002 American Association for the Advancement of Science Hypnotism is for real, scientists say after brain-scan study of volunteers By Steve Connor Hypnotism produces physical changes in the brain, according to a study showing...
  14. N

Which Is The Odd-One-Out (Don't Say "Niles"!)

Okay... a simple question with Fortean relevence: Which of the following is the odd-one-out, and why? Hat, Cat, Dog, Elephant As for the relevence, well Fortean Phenomina are literally the odd-ones-out of concensual reality. These are the events that defy expectations and confound...
  15. N

Ghost Cars / Road Vehicles: Sightings; Videos; Etc. (Not IHTM)

A new take on the Phantom Hitchiker :D From the Scotsman scotsman.com/searchresults.cfm?id=123593 Link is dead. No archived version found. "There were tales, when I was myself a callow hitchhiking youth, of a ghost car in the Western Isles, of some ancient vintage, driven by a little old...
  16. N

Adept-as-Child

There has been,in fiction, in recent years to portray the magic(k)al adept as a child. Examples of this (in reverse order) are Harry Potter, Timmothy Hunter (from DC comic's "Books of Magic") and another comic strip in 2000AD, that ran at the begining of the 90's, the name of which escapes me...
  17. N

Poisonous Food Urban Legends / Folkore

As I've stated elsewhere I suffer from an allergy to Tomatoes. I've been told that they're related to the Deadly Nightshade and that when first introduced into Europe they were generally perceived to be poisonous. Does anyone have any further information on this? :confused: of Oxford
Back