• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Ermintruder

Baltimore Bridge Accident

Yes, that appears to often be the expectation in practice for upper layers of stacks, but ISO shipping containers do have metal castings at each corner which allows containers to be locked vertically and horizontally (a cross between Lego & Sticklebrix) especially at the foundation layer. This...
  2. Ermintruder

'The Great Global Warming Swindle': Is Climate Change A Myth?

Well- it had to happen eventually. I think today (21 Mar 2024) might be the day when 'Climate Change' broke. I would seriously recommend that you watch all 1hr21mins of Ivor Cummin's substantial climate change debunk documentary. You're welcome. And I'm truly-sorry if this shatters your...
  3. Ermintruder

A Penny For Your Thoughts: Strange Change

Very soon, I promise! Photographic evidence is being compiled, and the case will be presented
  4. Ermintruder

Paul Alexander (The Man In the Iron Lung) Dies After 70 Years Living In Tank

This statement massively changes my understanding of his situation: I'm astounded by this revelation... therefore, almost like a semi-aquatic animal, in reality he wasn't totally tethered to his lifeline? I feel so much better for him, that he did have some time during his decades of hell...
  5. Ermintruder

A Penny For Your Thoughts: Strange Change

(Mods: may I please beg your indulgence such that this placeholder/reminder sits here (almost) empty until I actually post the thread I need to share- otherwise I run the risk of forgetting to do just that)
  6. Ermintruder

Weird, Rare, Forgotten & Discontinued Food Products

This remains a strangely-variable area of food technology, beset by pseudo-subjective regional differences (cf North American corn syrup sweetners that are deemed unacceptable in Europe). They are also bizarrely subject to reinterpretation over time: a perfect example of this was the UK's...
  7. Ermintruder

Are You Searching For The Golden Treasure Of The Entente Cordiale?

ma très chère @blessmycottonsocks , s'il vous plaît - je vous demande maintenant, avez-vous une famille ou un zoo ? Aujourd'hui, j'ai découvert la différence entre un ménage et un menagerie....je suis un grand imbécile!! (pardonnez-moi, bénissez mes chaussettes en coton - oui, je suis un très...
  8. Ermintruder

1,000 Year Old Sky Map Is Like ‘World’s First Smartphone,’ Say Scientists

This is a worrying example of ultrapopulist reductionism: perhaps this type of titular tabloidation was always going to happen (literally as per your humorous hyperbolæ). Fascinating that the astrolabe is such a palimpsest (riveting, in fact: read on't). Whilst appreciating its 'rosetta-like'...
  9. Ermintruder

De-Extinction

Please: give us a citation that expands upon this fascinating and terrifying proposition...
  10. Ermintruder

De-Extinction

I'm not understanding your differentiation: Wiki writes (underline added). Do you perhaps mean that even a very close contemporary resemblance obtained via selective & cross-breeding cannot be said to be a literal resurrection in terms of every gene, hair, joint & trait? Only ever just a...
  11. Ermintruder

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

Well: that physical form-factor is actually quite good, from a connection reliability standpoint for something such as external drive power, but it's never become a recognised multivendor standard in this use-case. Or if it ever did, I shall eat my hat. Mini-DIN connections like this (and their...
  12. Ermintruder

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

The fact that this external drive is in a generic case (unbranded, and hence not externally-declaring its capacity or type) is worth noting: always beware of unbranded apparently-massive HDDs/SSDs that are actually cheap clones. This may be an unfair concern, and the drive therein contained...
  13. Ermintruder

Astounding Geological (?) Discovery In Utah: Megacube Formations Video

I need to extract a timestamp reference from the video, but I was very intrigued by his passing comments about the blocks perhaps having been worked upon by hand (in addition to the astounding fundamental generative processes). I think he talks about 'spoil' from the rock face (and potentially...
  14. Ermintruder

Apologies, I meant the location seems under-promoted (according to the video author: I suppose he may be wrong about that, but I got the impression he was semi-local) rather than any generative geological process. He does distinguish clearly between the physical instances of the cubes, and the...
  15. Ermintruder

Please watch this unforgettable video, of some of the most amazing stone formations you have ever seen. You will not be disappointed! If this is natural, why is it not more commonly referenced and studied? If it is artificial, then my previous comments apply: but even more so. This is a...
  16. Ermintruder

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

In rural Scotland just now, the fields are filled with thousands of molehills (and also on the road verges, in places). The spacing between one molehill in a straight radiating line, and another, is strangely similar. It seems like such an....advertised way of living.
  17. Ermintruder

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Is this a tailoring/coatmaking tradition, stitching spare buttons into pockets? If so that might explain it...but I don't remember having seen it there before (nor have I seen this before on any other jacket: but I'm willing to accept the solution). Ohyes! What, utilising a hitherto-buttonless...
  18. Ermintruder

Pirate & Unusual Radio Signals

Lewis is very good: I've subscribed to his channel for years. Accessible, clear, well-structured I was astounded that the Russian he was intercepting actually named him on-air: perhaps a little too astounded for comfort. So: he's on his first (in my mind) warning, remembering that in war...
  19. Ermintruder

Farewell To Enola Gaia

Yes indeed...
  20. Ermintruder

Farewell To Enola Gaia

<over-interpretive_inspiration> If it is a steering wheel it is turned to the right, this is a graphical shorthand for someone driving on the USA= right-hand side of the road....that person has pulled-over; stopped at the roadside or into a layby: the driver is taking a rest...
  21. Ermintruder

Dragons: Evidence They Existed

Did we notice that the dinosaurs are (for the purposes of civic planning permission and listed status for preservation purposes) categorised by the local authority as being houses? I find this very persuasive. Instinctive terror. This: where there are strong indications that classic Fortean...
  22. Ermintruder

UK National Lottery

I missed your suggestion until reading this now (about 9 hrs too late) but such an idea did briefly pass though my mind yesterday. It's an interesting proposition: somehow beating the odds of chance via a form of 'online' (but non-internet) collaboration...whilst at the same time...
  23. Ermintruder

In timeless old technology: yes. But not being as active a practitioner in the "lec'n'nic arts" these days as I'd like...perhaps I'll have more time to dabble one day soon. In the 1960s and early 70s I was a probably a gemanium OC71 child, then something of a BC109 silicon teen...
  24. Ermintruder

UK National Lottery

Yes, but the contents may not travel very well outwith the c20th+ century borders of the United Kingdom & The Isle of Man (especially into North America). It would need to be translated by PBS, and turned into a Sunday miniseries, with Tom Hanks as 'The Voice Of The Balls', and Oprah playing...
  25. Ermintruder

UK National Lottery

Well, the UK National Lottery stops tonight at midnight: Camelot (the operators, on behalf of the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan Board) are no longer to run it, after 30 yrs of responsibility. Tomorrow, the UK National Lottery is reborn, courtesy of Allwyn. The Arthurian ball-bouncing...
  26. Ermintruder

Good grief, hello @bakelite brain ! Rare DX, if I'm not mistook? Glad to "hear' you back on the forum- I had thought that perhaps your DAC90 triode hexode had open-circuit heaters, and you were no longer receiving us. What's your thoughts on the probable random demise of BBC Radio Four on...
  27. Ermintruder

British Gas ('n electric) ran a massive advertising campaign from 2017 invoking the mystic influence of a certain Wilbur the Penguin: one of his latter key mantras was the value & virtue of fitting a smart meter. Right Now. Or ideally yesterday. This was pushed very hard (ultramultichannel)...
  28. Ermintruder

The Bibliophilia Thread

Yes, but that's in 2034
  29. Ermintruder

The Bibliophilia Thread

Unfortunately I'm easily-swayed by incontestably-excellent recommendations, and have therefore ordered this book right now <stares at the ever-growing piles of brilliant books towering the walls of a mouldering hovel>
  30. Ermintruder

There are fascinating and well-founded rebuttals of the whole Sabine Hassenfelder / Greta-fronted mankind-is-to-blame school of thought by the excellent physicist Yong. I highly recommend them (especially since Sabine was being so convincing about the directly-and-mainly-anthropogenic nature of...
  31. Ermintruder

Farewell To Enola Gaia

(EDITED: so as to recognise that the post-mortem 'last post' observation is just based upon a single-digit typo from @Yithian - 16/12/22 is evidently meant to read 26/12/22 )
  32. Ermintruder

Farewell To Enola Gaia

Is this^^ a mildly-Fortean coincidence? @Enola would've loved any apparently-anachronistic timelines or bilocations-of-interment being reported about him on the Forum. It seems so....appropriately (and respectfully fitting. And this unwittingly-dark comment sends a shiver of disproportionate...
  33. Ermintruder

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I'm suddenly-struck by how long ago it was that (allegedly) the late British morality campaigner Mary Whitehouse was ('they' said) initially incensed by newspaper headlines regarding a foreign woman of questionable virtue named "Sarah Pippeliné", who'd apparently been laid "end to end by...
  34. Ermintruder

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

This is virtually verging upon vegetable veracity, and must be worthy of our praise. Do people cry as they watch them cutting each-other up, in the ring? Keep that thought...because was/is universal pH paper not behued a neutral white, as opposed to being an acidicly-inclinated purplish-red...
  35. Ermintruder

Weird Sex (Practices, Preferences & Accoutrements!)

And we have a winner for the January 2024 teeshirt slogan competition..! So does he keep a third one in reserve? Or is he just a bit of a dick himself, plus those two others? Ah, wait...maybe all his axes are mutually-orthogonal, meaning that he has an X, Y and Z axis...ensuring that he's an...
  36. Ermintruder

Scarred For Life At Sheffield University 12/11/23

Ouch- I had to look that one up! (as opposed to looking up that one)... that's quite enough of the Internet for me today (and yet the temple acolytes only just chimed the bells for ten of the clock)
  37. Ermintruder

Scarred For Life At Sheffield University 12/11/23

Was "The Sheffield Space Centre" on the go, during that era? I loved it (only managed a couple or three visits in the late 1980s) It was/is of course really a Yorkshire version of the Forbidden Planet bookstore concept (rather than an actual launch & landing pad for interplanetary craft: I...
  38. Ermintruder

Which Animals Will Be The First To Live On The Moon And Mars?

Cows, cows, definitely cows. With all that delayed 'jumping over' gratification, it's only fair. But no dogs. Or spoons.
  39. Ermintruder

Yes and no: he wore a military uniform and mustache in a style that was almost Indistinguishable from all other Imperial German military officers. So he was a self-caricature outwith the country he ruled: but was simply a standard-looking representative of the mainly Prussian class & profession...
  40. Ermintruder

Very close....that's an extremely astute observation....proof (were it ever needed) that body language transcends international boundaries & time
  41. Ermintruder

His sword scabbard is not properly hitched-up (as it should be when worn under a greatcoat, in a walking-out state of dress). To be dangling loose like that, the coat is meant to be pinned-up, with das hoss under him.   And if he's a proper cavalryman (maybe even a Prussian Graf from Dragoner...
  42. Ermintruder

The Left Hand (Left-Handedness)

There have been some statistical analyses made of prehistoric human Left/Right- handed tendancy (notably the study reported by the BBC twenty years ago Left Handedness common in Stoneage) all of which appear to indicate that the frequency/commonality of this trait has remained unchanged for at...
  43. Ermintruder

Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) Art

To make us Natural Idiots believe that Artificial Intelligences actually have any limitations. It's an overt shortcoming in order to lull the cattle into thinking they can spot the wolves through their pathetic camouflage. These ridiculous suggestions are no less flawed than unquestioned...
  44. Ermintruder

Tetradactyl is the commonest type of primate handform. And I've never seen any examples of polypollexy (give me two thumbs up if you agree!)
  45. Ermintruder

The Bibliophilia Thread

For me, it's beyond being a good read, and I cannot be in the least bit objective about the book (because I just loved it so much...I maybe read it first at 7yrs of age?). It was an intrinsic strand of my earliest awareness of knowing I was able to think, and to wonder. I'm actually scared to...
  46. Ermintruder

Florida Mall?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antoniopequenoiv/2024/01/05/rumors-of-10-foot-alien-at-miami-mall-circulate-online-heres-what-actually-happened/ Hmm....a bit odd, but perhaps it is just a socmedia-stoked fear-fest
  47. Ermintruder

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

The phone call-log will show outbound voice calls and SMS text messages, but both will probably show the same iconography symbols irrespective of medium. Now check your SMS text messages thread. Nowadays most smartphones show this as multiple conversation-specific threads, but yours might be...
  48. Ermintruder

In what way? This implies most AI productions are iterative outputs of joint effort: and that doesn't seem to be the current case. If I ask for, or summon, a guaranteed minor miracle, I'm merely the recipient- most-assuredly not the magician. That's just selecting elements of the destination...
  49. Ermintruder

Indiana Jones Thread

Dial of Destiny Wiki writes: Why does a film that costs $294.7M and generates $384M still need to make $600M in order to be considered as having broken even? I absolutely reject that the marketing costs were in the order of $300M....impossible. Change my mind, please, some informed &...
  50. Ermintruder

I wonder how 'copyright' works, in the weirdly-prodigious world of AI-generated graphics? (well, AI-generated anything, in fact). It can't simply fall into the hands of the requestor, free of charge and invested with eternal possibility. Neither even if it is paid for, because the 'master' pays...
Back