• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Ermintruder

A Penny For Your Thoughts: Strange Change

(Mods: may I please beg your indulgence such that this placeholder/reminder sits here (almost) empty until I actually post the thread I need to share- otherwise I run the risk of forgetting to do just that)
  2. Ermintruder

Astounding Geological (?) Discovery In Utah: Megacube Formations Video

Please watch this unforgettable video, of some of the most amazing stone formations you have ever seen. You will not be disappointed! If this is natural, why is it not more commonly referenced and studied? If it is artificial, then my previous comments apply: but even more so. This is a...
  3. Ermintruder

New Yorkshire Civic Naming: Yorks Connections (Notable Yarn Contrived)

I am currently back visiting the mighty county of Yorkshire in the North of England after too long an absence (it is an area that has always felt to me like a southern outland of Scotland). Whilst calmly cruising the River Ouse on a Monday trip to York, I had the chance to notice a number of...
  4. Ermintruder

Undeniable Forensic Evidence of CNC Machining on Pre-Dynastic Egyptian Granite Stoneware

This is an utterly-fascinating proposition, and I strongly recommend you to watch as much of Ben's superb YouTube channel as possible: UnchartedX We are all only too-familiar with subjective opinion when it comes to much of popular archeology. The projection of various outlandish theories, many...
  5. Ermintruder

Duke Of Edinburgh's Death: Somewhat Coincidental Sidenote In FT404 April 2021

Whilst acknowledging that the now-departed phenomenon (HRH the late Duke of Edinburgh) wasn't a totally-unseen personage of mention within the pages of Fortean Times, I cannot help but notice the coincidental 'Strange Days' clippings paragraph in the April 2021 issue under the title "Royal...
  6. Ermintruder

'The Egg' By Andy Weir (As In 'The Martian')

The Egg By: Andy Weir
  7. Ermintruder

The Non-Existent Thesis You'd Really Like To See The Summary Results From...

Friends with disbenefits: allosibling acclimation as an inter-sexes passion & arousal modifier? A pre-commencement research postulation paper around potential pheremonal-driven (or other interpersonal neurochemical vectors) influencing or modifying group interactive behavior within modern...
  8. Ermintruder

Resurrected NYT Photojournalism Worn As Arcane Art: The Verso Project

I really like this concept, and may personally invest (at least to the level of one teeshirt, initially):
  9. Ermintruder

'Upload' (The Opera) Of A Soul: Have You Seen The Show? (NY/NL)

The sci-fi opera performance of "Upload" finished its New York performance run last month. I read about it today from a byeline in this week's "New Scientist", and was immediately-interested again in this (once upon a time, more perhaps last century) oft-heralded potentiality: the...
  10. Ermintruder

Innovations That Beat The Originals: Substitute Solutions

Today I saw my first-ever tripod ladder. If someone had described it to me, I wouldn't have believed a word. This is a perfect example of how objective reimagination and simplification can improve upon something you never really knew was imperfect, but always had your suspicions. I've never...
  11. Ermintruder

Did I (Nearly) Stumble Over A Meteorite This Morning?

I found / saw something really odd this morning - Location: North of Stirling, Central Scotland UK Date / Time: 12 Mar 2022 / 1145GMT Sited: On the street pavement/sidewalk beside a row of terraced houses Description: Large heavy dark stone (or pitch?) mainly ovoid / object, approx 180mm in...
  12. Ermintruder

Worldwide Land Shape Similarities: Accident, Artefact... Or Art?

Ok, I've mislaid my actual notes for this...submitted proposition-cum-observation, so I should wait. But I've got masses and masses of unformed Fortean threads and thoughts that I've not yet shared: and may yet never so do. So: dammit, here goes. I've briefly mentioned previously on this forum...
  13. Ermintruder

Video Footage Of Eastern European 'Hill Dragon': Lost It

On YouTube over the festive period, I briefly saw part of a multi--source collection of intriguing reputedly-viral videos (yes, the sort which is absolutely omnipresent on Youtube). I can't remember if it was named something like 'The Amazingist Videos of 2019' but approximately along those...
  14. Ermintruder

Ugly People Smell Bad, Die Quickly & Don't Make Babies: Therefore The Result Is...

Apologies for the somewhat-blunt opening approach for this thread, and its current placement. Maybe it needs to be repolished and placed elsewhere. But I believe this is a valid discussion. (I need to regenerate my sources, otherwise this may be too much anecdotal anthropology and...
  15. Ermintruder

Nested Universes (Atoms As Worlds; Worlds As Atoms)

I think I've asked this before, yet maybe I haven't: a one-time classic sci-fi trope (I mean within the 'Amazing Stories' pulp picture-book/magazine broad canon) was the proposition that aside from absolute scale differences on astronomical terms, perhaps our entire universe is nothing but a...
  16. Ermintruder

Inexplicable Small Watcher By The Roadside

Very strange.... Yesterday, early morning in the frozen dark, I was driving on an icy country road. It was much icier and challenging to drive than I'd expected, and my senses/reactions were working overtime. As I turned slightly to the right, on the roadside standing facing me (and apparently...
  17. Ermintruder

Ogham (Ogam; Celtic Tree Alphabet)

Recently in Glasgow I've seen a few young people wearing teeshirts with printed designs of what was (to me) an unfamiliar variation upon a recognisable ancient letterform system, the Ogham (the pre-runic fashion of stave writing. Instead of what I was aware of ie Oghams in just a straight line...
  18. Ermintruder

Bordering On Insanity: Drawing Those Fine Lines

(I have been unable to locate an existing thread on the forum on the fascinating topic of geopolitical borders/exclaves/enclaves upon which to append some illuminatary collective rumination. If my extensive searches are evidence of my inability to find the obvious, then I do apologise, and await...
  19. Ermintruder

'Floating Platform No1 Does Not Answer: 1930s SciFi

Quite some time ago I made previous reference to this story (on the forum, I think). I've a dim recollection of having seen an *English language version* of this, as a kid in the 1960s, but my memory of it was a lot more Flash Gordon exciting-and-cool than the utterly-banal description from the...
  20. Ermintruder

Depression: Over-Diagnosed?

Let's cut to the chase: I wish to make a radical, unpleasant yet inescapable proposition regarding mental health. I think that the standard baseline mental state for adults is actually being depressed. The continuous outpouring on social media of "I bet only my real friends will repost this"...
  21. Ermintruder

"Google Assistant" Experienced Users Here On Forteana Forum: We Need To Talk

I was sure I'd previously-posted here on The Forum about my first (fairly-recent) experiences with my 'Google Home Assistant Mini' (for clarity, I mean by this the badged-and-inhabited-by-Google physical smart speaker, independantly-connected to the internet, interacted with primarily via spoken...
  22. Ermintruder

Chances For Visual Confusion From Unusual Airshow Display

Stunning view of unusual flying above Ayr Beach I can't embed this video, but hopefully the link I've provided (into the Facebook Group page "Scotland From the Roadside" will allow you to see this. I feel the pre-dusk low sun adds greatly to the odd effects, especially at first viewing An...
  23. Ermintruder

Fascinating Formations: Aerial Light Shows Using Drones

This is really impressive: drones as sky-pixels, making 3D images that are astounding. (just imagine how impressive a 200ft diameter 'flying saucer' would look, made-up from drones. Unfortunately....if you follow the logic in my concern)
  24. Ermintruder

LGBT Sandwich: Is That Queer Or What?

I saw this in the flesh crumb yesterday, at a motorway service station it's a Marks & Spencer Lettuce, Guacamole, Bacon & Tomato sandwich. Which is a bit queer- or is it? I did expect there'd be lots about this on the internet...and oh yes there is...
  25. Ermintruder

Camouflage

Something that never fails to amaze me is the vast and frequently-contradictory designs of camouflage seen woven or printed into the uniforms of the world's armed forces. Whilst the logic in a leap from red to khaki is inarguably-sound, it seems there has been from then onwards an...
  26. Ermintruder

Nowadays What Are Libraries For?

One of the many yet-to-be-commenced topics that I've had, precariously-perched within the 100+ Chrome browser tabs that I've had open for years on this thrashed smart-phone, is that of libraries. Specifically, libraries now. I love them, but nowadays maybe in the same way as I do museums. They...
  27. Ermintruder

The "TryPraying" UK Campaign: Religion For Atheists & Sceptics

There appears to be quite a well-funded media campaign (advertising posters and online) centred around the phrase /tagline 'TryPraying' (or 'trypraying'). See http://www.trypraying.co.uk What I find odd about this it's a Christian religious group's attempt to deliberately-attract atheists and...
  28. Ermintruder

Personal Perception Of Time: Ongoing Anomaly

This is an odd and disconcerting effect for me, personally, right now Often, in recent times, I've stereotypically bemoaned how fast the years are passing. This month (for me by massive contrast, within my perceptions and references) has been almost an eternity. It is a very strange...
  29. Ermintruder

Tartaria (Alleged Empire; Alternative History)

I'm sure I am not the only forum member to be intrigued by the layered complex ramblings of the YouTuber Barnabas Nagy. He makes a huge range of very-doubtful outlandish claims (but- he can be interesting at some points). I shall try to paraphrase just some of what he appears to claim: this...
  30. Ermintruder

Radical Revisionist Propositions Re Napoléon: Radiation In Moscow 1812?

I have been reading some intriguing propositions regarding Napoléon: principally, that he made some major undisclosed discoveries in Egypt (within the pyramids, not the Rosetta Stone) and also apparently in Italy. Allegedly he was thus assisted in becoming a self-declared 'Emperor of the World'...
  31. Ermintruder

The Girl That Wasn't There—Or Was She?

http://ghostclub.org.uk Excerpt of original article by Kathy Gearing which appeared in the Spring 2006 Newsletter. Photograph: provided by Lee Moynes and taken by his friend Joan. Having seen how skittish Dartmoor ponies can be, the provenance of this picture intrigues me. However, if we...
  32. Ermintruder

Name For The Trope Of Belief In Statistical Collective Wisdom: What Is It?

I'm unsure whether there is an actual term for what I'm about to describe: the belief or expectation that the answers to many complex organisational /societal problems can be obtained via recourse to large population sets; that, through the application of eg focus groups, citizen involvement...
  33. Ermintruder

"Alternative View 10" Conference May 2019

My recent postings on the forum about Edge Media TV/ ControversialTV Channel have brought me to stumble upon tbe upcoming "Alternative View 10" conference taking place in the highly-alternative location of Milton Keynes 10-13 May 2019...
  34. Ermintruder

Ruthenium: Possibly The Strangest Metal In The World

This is interesting- I knew nothing whatsoever about the rare associate of Platinum, Ruthenium (nor even the origins of its name, commemorating Russia and the Urals, where it was first discovered). Intriging: and there are clearly going to be other applications for it, awaiting discovery
  35. Ermintruder

Digital Age Moirology

When we live in an age where cliché and tropes become so universally-understood that life, even at its end, becomes a self-parody: where do we go next?
  36. Ermintruder

Lines Into Form: Symbols With Power?

I am frustrated by trying to recollect a partially-remembered concept, wherein the hypothesis is (I think?) that 2-dimensional representations can become imbued with real-world interactive tangibility. In effect, that iconography, symbols, drawings, can (or so the believers believe) become real...
  37. Ermintruder

Picture This: Paranoid Photoproofs & Peculiarities 'prove'...perhaps

Although I'm an arch-doubter, in all things, I appreciate a conspiracy-confirmatory picture as much as the next tinfoil-hat wearing follower of Fort. In the spirit of that, may I cautiously-propose the creation of a visual images thread, the content of which should not be first-party...
  38. Ermintruder

Photological Gullibility: Unmagical Imagineering

I frequently try and get people to realise that a vast proportion of the media imagery we collectively consume is, effectively, false. That can go all the way from the overtly obvious, right down to the mundane margins. So by way of a exemplary exhibit on behalf of my prosecution case, I offer...
  39. Ermintruder

A Link To The Past: Faces & Voices From History

Rather than simply appending this to the "Good Stuff Online", I really felt that this Youtube video deserved its own thread (mods, if you disagree, please bin it over onto that location). This is just breathtaking: American Civil War veterans, and other 70+ year-old worthies, filmed in a...
  40. Ermintruder

Children communicate like apes until they talk: philology recapitulates phylogeny?

This instinctively came as no real surprise to me: I was listening earlier in the week (on Radio 4UK in the car, but I cannot currently cite with any more certainty) to a fascinating interview with an anthropologist and proto-linguist. She postulates that when a large sample of humans (>15,000)...
  41. Ermintruder

Square Clouds, Purple Sky-Lights & Blue Moons—Allegedly

I find this sort of thing fascinating but frustrating. Two decades ago, if there had been emulsion photographs, or analogue video/cine film of these sorts of alleged phenomena, then we'd all be utterly-amazed, and studying the evidence with magnifying glasses in the library (or the pub). Now...
  42. Ermintruder

Reviving / Reanimating Brains & Nervous Tissues

This news item was being extensively-covered by BBC radio news this evening. Interesting, and is either very disturbing, or it's not. I puzzle over why the neurologists being interviewed (in other reports, not the one below) are raising even the slight possibility that these...
  43. Ermintruder

Superstitions & ULs Regarding Used / Second-Hand Clothing

I've often wondered why the wearing of other people's clothes has never (?) been seen as imbuing the newer wearer with some tenuous aspects of the original owner's characteristics. Note: I'm not believing (necessarily) that this is, or could be the case. I'm meaning that my perception is that...
  44. Ermintruder

Maplin Mystery: Commercial Curiousity

Across the UK, there are hundreds of Maplin electronics stores likely to close very soon. This has been covered so far in a quiet, understated way by the mainstream media. (eg https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5767829/when-maplin-closing-down-sale-which-stores-still-open-why-administration/amp/ )...
  45. Ermintruder

'Metal Starfish' Found Near Rhode Island

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2017/08/mysterious-metal-starfish-found-off-coast-of-rhode-island/ The story is as strange as the alleged find itself...
  46. Ermintruder

Not A Lot Of People Know That: Caine Strange

Many people on this forum will be familiar with the seminal 1964 movie 'Zulu' starring amongst other the imitable mighty Michael Caine, playing the part of beleagured British Army Lieutenant Bromhead during the abortive defence of Rourke's Drift. The film sees the continual attacks from...
  47. Ermintruder

"Meet Me At McDonalds" Hairstyle: Why—And Why?

The origin for the odd name of this hairstyle puzzles me- can anyone offer an explanation? http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/meet-me-at-mcdonalds-haircut-banned-school-boys-great-yarmouth-charter-academy-a8223101.html I also find it strange that: that it exists at all that anyone would...
  48. Ermintruder

Phone Phreaking: The Net Before The Internet

I was going to simply place the link to this Youtube video into the latest slot on Page 10 of our forum thread about Shortwave Numbers Stations. Or to have let it languish at the top of the Good Stuff Online thread But this is far too good a video not to justify having a proper topic started...
  49. Ermintruder

Sun Simulator: Concept & YT Videos?

Type the words "Sun Simulator" into the search bar on YouTube, and bask in the glow of numerous lurid (but intriguing) video claims regarding the purported presence of a simulated sun in the sky. In summary, this is either: A Grand Conspiracy, of the very-best international type Nothing to do...
  50. Ermintruder

Chemical Formula Spelling The Word 'Confidence'—Anyone Remember?

As a key part of my initial Fortean training in the 1960s, I was regularly fed with random British reprints of 'Amazing Stories' and 'Astounding Tales' comic strip sci-fi primers (Heinlein and Asimov followed, when I was weaned onto solids). I clearly-remember a morality tale wherein an...
Back