• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Swifty

Norfolk Folklore Society February 2024 Talk Announcement

'Helen JR Bruce: Black Shuck, Gytrash and Grim, the Folkloric Black Dog as Death Omen and Guide Wednesday 21 February 2024 Ticket options: Pay what you want + Eventbrite booking fee / £5 fixed price + booking fee Doors open 7pm / talk starts promptly at 7.30pm Venue: The American Library (on...
  2. Swifty

Josh Kirby Collection

Family of Discworld illustrator seek wealthy patron to conserve legacy of ‘one of the great artists of our time’ https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2024/jan/20/family-of-discworld-illustrator-josh-kirby-seek-wealthy-patron-to-conserve-legacy-of-one-of-the-great-artists-of-our-time Has...
  3. Swifty

Colima Pottery Ducks

If I saw one of these in a charity shop and didn't know what it was, I'd pay a couple of quid for it. They're instead extremely old and valuable, 200 B.C. to 300 A.D. They were funeral/grave offerings with some contemporary collectors reporting paranormal experiences through owning them. Stone...
  4. Swifty

Bilaterally Gynandromorphic Green Honeycreeper

This bird is half male, half female. ' A striking and extremely rare half female, half male bird has been spotted by a University of Otago zoologist. Sesquicentennial Distinguished Professor Hamish Spencer. Sesquicentennial Distinguished Professor Hamish Spencer was holidaying in Colombia...
  5. Swifty

Mexican 'Alien' Autopsy Video

'An alien autopsy conducted by Mexican doctors on a live YouTube channel revealed that the "non-human being" remains that were presented to their congress last week found "no evidence of any assembly or manipulation of the skulls," leading experts to believe that the remains were, indeed, those...
  6. Swifty

Indonesian Tree Carvings

I'm not sure where else to post this. I bought the base of an Indonesian tree about 25 years ago because, well .. you just do don't you? .. It's beautifully carved, the local artist being sympathetic and working with instead of against the natural grain, lumps and bumps of the base .. I was told...
  7. Swifty

Moqui Balls

I'm the sort of proud owner of a Moqui ball. I bought it when I was in my late 20's but that's not important. I was told at the time that these are created/born when lighting hits the sand of a desert and native american kids used to use them to play marbles. They're spherical stones partly...
  8. Swifty

Tongue Tentacles

'The Tongue With Tentacles This guy has a tongue that appears to have some tentacles beneath it. It is an interesting one because it does not cause pain in any way. The only disadvantage is that the tentacle can get in between his teeth which can be painful.' 'The tentacles are a result of a...
  9. Swifty

Lionel Fanthorpe Talk

This looks good value for £10
  10. Swifty

Leaky Trees

'A mysterious avocado tree has clean water gushing out of its branch believed to be ‘miracle liquid’ by residents. Resident Lorelie Llaneta said the tree started to release liquid early in the morning so they turned off the water pipe next to it in Laguna province on February 10. However, the...
  11. Swifty

Music Wars

I'm not entirely happy with the title of this thread about the below examples so if any mods want to change it to something more encompassing, please do. This above meme has caused me to think about other extreme examples of people taking the law into their own hands over musical...
  12. Swifty

'Metallic' Beetles

'One day, while strolling the grounds of his property in Costa Rica, Michael Farmer spotted something he couldn’t quite believe. There, on the leaves of a guava tree, was what looked to be a small metal object — glinting in the sun like a piece of polished chrome. But then it began crawling...
  13. Swifty

Weird, Rare, Forgotten & Discontinued Food Products

What has a hazelnut in every bite? .. squirrel shit
  14. Swifty

The Burton Agnes Drum

Ancient chalk sculpture is 'most important prehistoric art' "The Folkton drums have long remained a mystery to experts for well over a century, but this new example finally begins to give us some answers. "To my mind, the Burton Agnes drum is even more intricately carved and reflects...
  15. Swifty

Looking For An FT Letter

I'm off to Worstead's St. Mary's Church in a few days time. I seem to remember FT published a letter sent in by Diane Berthelot, the woman in the yellow top in this famous photo who's since passed away: From memory, a cropped version of this photo was included in the letters page. I've been...
  16. Swifty

Prepping For One's Own Death: Death Cleaning; Dödstädning

I'm not sure this is in the correct thread? .. 'Despite being in rude health, a 43-year-old copywriter, Nick Copeman from Sheringham, has decided to pare back his life and declutter, to prepare his affairs for after his death. He has even cut his worldly possessions down to just 406 items...
  17. Swifty

The Elephant Man Shop Today

Someone on facebook has posted this picture of a London shop simply to laugh at their spelling of UK .. A much more interesting fact about this building (No. 259, Whitechapel Road, originally No.123) is that Joseph Merrick the Elephant Man was in the the back of this shop tied to a bed in the...
  18. Swifty

Help Requested

*drum roll* LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! ... OK, I'll cut the crap and get to the point .. A good friend of mine has just asked my opinion on his new website .. he's a working magician, I've been on ghost investigations with him and he wants to sex up his site (my opinion, not his, he asked my honest...
  19. Swifty

How To Find Parts / Batteries / Etc. For Vintage Tech?

My Dad gave me his 80's VHS C video camera last Christmas but I can't charge the 35 year old + batteries to make it work and I'm highly doubtful I'd be able to find any working ones these days. I wouldn't know where to begin to look.
  20. Swifty

There's Some Clever People About

.. I wish I was this clever instead ..
  21. Swifty

McDonalds Ice-Cream Machines

Not exactly a world changer but .. To skip to the end, the company that have the sole licence to provide McDonalds with their ice cream making machines allegedly deliberately make them crap to use on purpose so they can 'cream' money off of franchise owners by charging to send off technicians...
  22. Swifty

Electrolyte Liquid Powered Cars

This'll do for me. Let's see if the oil companies try to supress it though .. 'The Quant 48Volt has two tanks of liquid with dissolved metallic salt which gives them opposite charges. The liquid is separated by a membrane where positively charged ions lose an electron generating electricity.'...
  23. Swifty

32,000-Year-Old Seed Sprouts And Grows

'Back in 2007, a team of scientists from Russia, Hungary and the United States recovered frozen Silene stenophylla seeds and remains from the Pleistocene, while investigating about 70 ancient ground squirrel hibernation burrows or caches, hidden in permanently frozen loess-ice deposits in...
  24. Swifty

Disc-Shaped Object Antarctica/Google Earth

A disc shaped object has been captured on Google Earth in Antarctica. https://thebusfm.iheart.com/content/2020-10-13-ufo-exposed-on-google-earth-due-to-melting-ice-in-antarctica/?Sc=editorial&Pname=local_social&Keyid=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR0T_C4M7sKObhqbAur1c7E22pRDeCecEgLxDAo0EdgrIm390c0ypAwOL48
  25. Swifty

Karen / Karens (Social Stereotype; 2020)

… I'm starting to feel sorry for all the sane women called Karen at the moment .. I wonder why and when that name in particular was selected to represent angry women? .. it Karenist and reeks of Karenism .. we'll be seeking Karen marches soon ..
  26. Swifty

Free Haunted House Up For Grabs

Sceptics would be forgiven for thinking that there's more than meets the eye to this story. After all, nothing is ever 'free' .. is this some sort of IRS tax dodge or are the owners giving this house away for free because it's haunted and they can't afford later costs by simply abandoning it? ...
  27. Swifty

The Bible (Miscellaneous)

Can that famous quote be pinned on/attributed to the Christian culture? .. https://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/13-12.htm
  28. Swifty

New 3D Printing Breakthrough

This is incredible .. as we know, contemporary 3D printers build an object up with layers. This new technology can print the entire object almost instantaneously .. mind blown
  29. Swifty

R.I.P. Derek Acorah

R.I.P. Derek Acorah, 69 https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-derek-acorah-dead-aged-21210854
  30. Swifty

'Penis Fish' / Fat Innkeeper Worms

Thousands of 'penis fish' washed ashore on a Californian beach https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/thousands-of-penis-fish-washed-ashore-on-a-california-beach/?source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR3hS0XcpY4dtRKR2P2CUMk7hdixO5m3NUmav8lxsEPbW-QeH7wafL9bWZA
  31. Swifty

Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk

I'm wondering about the source of the origin of this phrase. I've always understood it to mean to not panic about relatively small problems https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/don't_cry_over_spilled_milk I had a waitress who doesn't speak English very well spill a large jug of milk by accident so...
  32. Swifty

Amateur Paranormal Investigators: Role; Motive; Ability; Value

(This discussion has been spun off from the Loch Ness Monster thread, where it originated in response to the 2019 "Storm Loch Ness" campaign.) No offence but you don't 'do' dreamers do you .. to be fair though, that's a healthy thing for dreamers to pay attention and listen to you to stop, to...
  33. Swifty

Masonica

You know when you're walking down the high street and you spot a full on Masonic initiation kit in the window of a shop in Cromer? .. I had to buy it .. £27.50 !? .. I've just bought a genuine vintage Free Masons initiation kit, white calf/lamb leather apron, blue fabric surround with logo and...
  34. Swifty

Origin Of The Label "Hip Hop"

I met a young lad a few years ago that was working for the Mrs, he was into 'street dancing', I'm an ex break dancer and body popper etc blah blah so he gave me a demonstration and explained to me that it was more a 20's era Lindy Hop thing that was coming back into fashion that he was doing. I...
  35. Swifty

Organoid Mini Brain Grown In Lab

Scientists at Cambridge have grown an organoid .. 'Scientists have grown a miniature brain in a dish with a spinal cord and muscles attached, an advance that promises to accelerate the study of conditions such as motor neurone disease. The lentil-sized grey blob of human brain cells were seen...
  36. Swifty

Is Michael Jackson Still Alive?

.. or course he isn't but that won't stop conspiracy theorists .. there's a few videos suggesting that Jacko has faked his death, the least convincing being the Dave Dave connection ..
  37. Swifty

Who's Teddy Perkins?

A man with massive amounts of plastic surgery and dressed in a Hugh Heffner robe at the 2018 Emmys or is this Michael Jackson ? .. Michael Jackson's dead but who is this 'don't put him to close to the fireplace' bloke? .. shamone .. so to cut a long story short, some people think he's Whako...
  38. Swifty

Ed & Lorraine Warren

As far as I know, we don't have a thread specifically discussing this famous (infamous?) paranormal investigative couple's escapades so I thought I'd start one with this video .. I'm aware that the couple's work receive the same kind of scepticism as the equally not shy of media publicity Uri...
  39. Swifty

Australian TV 1962 Street Interviews

I wasn't sure where to post this 1962 footage of people in Sydney being asked if they think there might be life on other planets (if mods want to file it somewhere more appropriate?) ..
  40. Swifty

Blue Book

A new TV drama show called Blue Book is on the way. Produced by Robert Zemeckis, it'll be dramatising events detailed in the Project Blue Book papers.
  41. Swifty

FT370

I was about to walk into town to the library, the postie has saved me that rainy trip because my new issue has arrived. This months is as varied as I remember FT being at its best, I'm only up to page 21 and we've had weeping Mary statues, a new chimeric cat, a woman who's married the ghost of...
  42. Swifty

A Triple Bill

Apologies if there's a more suitable thread to post these in but I though others here might enjoy them anyway, here's a paranormal triple bill from Carpetbagger's road trips .. International Paranormal Research Centre and Museum (I own that exact same ceramic Nessie at 8:45 in this vid, I...
  43. Swifty

If You Won't Share Your Toys...

An artist with exclusive rights to be the only person allowed to used the world's blackest black pigment refused to let anyone else use it .. in retaliation, he's now the only artist in the world not allowed to use the pinkest pink ...
  44. Swifty

Man Killed By Man He'd Killed

**********SPOILER*********** "Snatching up his grizzly trophy, Sigurd followed suit and fastened Maelbrigte’s head to his saddle. After mounting his horse, the earl’s forces headed north but Maelbrigte had his revenge. While spurring his horse during the ride home, Earl Sigurd’s leg was...
  45. Swifty

Small Debit Card Charges

Business's used to be able to charge you an extra 50p on your purchase in, for one example, convenience stores if you used a debit card and the tally came up to under a fiver .. as of September to January last and this year, they can't do that anymore in the UK, it's illegal unless they say...
  46. Swifty

Cromer Ghost Walk Tonight

... and the weather is perfect for it with dark and moody skies today .. I've been on this walk with the Mrs before, it's pretty atmospheric in our coastal Victorian town and shouldn't cost much more than a fiver for anyone who can get there .. in the dark .. in the night .. The tour guide is...
  47. Swifty

Organisms That Eat Plastics

Scientists have accidentally created a mutant enzyme that eats plastic bottles .. that's Earth's plastic bottle pollution problem sorted then https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/16/scientists-accidentally-create-mutant-enzyme-that-eats-plastic-bottles
  48. Swifty

Hypnobirthing ?

This sounds like spam/snake oil bullshit to me, the Mrs has a hynobirthing conference thing happening at her workplace tonight .. it seems the pains of childbirth are all in the mind and women can control all of the kerfuffle. I expect this involves hefty instalment payments from people with...
  49. Swifty

FT364

I seem to be quite fortunate in receiving my FT's earlier than some, the latest issue's a good mix of all sorts of weird crap. I'd never heard of the Wych Elm Bella tree before despite me being a brummie ... we've got koala stowaways, Yorkshire UFO crash, Roman ghosts of Chester (although the...
  50. Swifty

Elon Musk's Starman Conspiracy

This is so crazy, it might even be real ... the first car in space .. I can't wait to hear what the conspiracy crew say about this .. The Space X launch is reported as being a success and this below stream is reported as being live footage of Elon Musk's car in space .. as you do .. The...
Back