• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. D

Exorcism

Greetings, ghost snappers, I have a minor case of infection and would like some synopsised advice about clearing uninvited unindividuated guests. They mostly hang around when I'm about to sleep and then slip in my ears to give me nightmares. I've tried primitivist feng shui but no...
  2. D

Why Did Spiritualism Arise?

Does anyone have a theory as to why belief in the closeness of limbo (queerly there are none of the stereotypes of heaveny/ infernally beings associated with the practice - it seems more a folkloric belief in ghosts than anything Religious) arose in the 1850's? I must be missing some...
  3. D

Antichrist Abortion?

Hi, been a long time since I posted (guess I got a life ;)) Anyway I was reading this depressing article: Vatican urges end to Amnesty aid I was idly wondering whether the Vatican would condone the murder of a foetus if it was determined to be the antichrist. I mean, are all children...
  4. D

Area 51 AKA Groom Lake: Still Secret

Ian - f**k knows mate, but it could be some sort of bombing target. Looks like a crop circle or Nazca line - perhaps it is indeed an alien landing pad. dot23
  5. D

from shreddies.org: "The Green dots are center pivot irrigation farm areas. This area must be irrigated to grow crops." does that sound like the feature you noticed ianeames?
  6. D

does kind of fuel the fire that something is suspicious out there - I thought the official word was that it had been 'scaled down' and was now a simple milbase, with no testing etc. anyone else care to dig up some interesting geomancical features - mygmaps.com allows the user (I believe) to...
  7. D

The future of cloning.

Kil'n People If you're interested in cloning you could do worse than read David Brin's "Kil'n People". All about disposable copies interwoven into a transcendental detective story - top notch scifi.
  8. D

Google Maps show sites of Fortean interest incl. Area 51 from this bbc news story: Photographs of North America's most significant landmarks and locations, including the Grand Canyon, Alcatraz and Mount Rushmore are being given a fresh perspective thanks to a tool by Google. ... One website...
  9. D

Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Leaferne - indeed, I suppose cultural references are a big problem in making things universal. I also think they help us to understand each other better, in the long run, and much with any other kind of jargon, recognition only comes after repeated exposure. This was my point really, how...
  10. D

Douglas Adams & The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Looks like all the bits that have been removed are references to religion and British place names. Why is it that we Brits have to put up with incomprehensible dialogue, gags that revolve around obscure NFL commentators and constant barrages of brand names/ pseudo-religious moralising whilst...
  11. D

The New World Order?

Okay Ok, so my mind was momentarily mistified - for those not in the know, Denis Healey was a Labour Chancellor under Wilson until '79. I think I got his eyebrows confused with Lawson's ;)
  12. D

Ringu

Ju-On was a bit disjointed to me - couldn't figure out why it kept jumping, why charcters that had been killed returned with no explaination. That said, it did have some great creepy moments - wish I'd bought the sequel now - had this great part I saw in the shop where the ghost descends...
  13. D

Skull & Bones Society (Fraternity / Secret Society?); Yale)

Doesn't it bother US voters and posters here that both candidates have a vested interest in a secret cabal? What about all the Bible-belt christians - do they approve of their future leaders lying naked in coffins and talking about their experiences of pre-marital sex? Do voters not care that...
  14. D

The Bush Family & Nazi Deals

All I can say is: WTF! Well that worked out well for them then, I bet they're still hanging their heads in shame after colluding with Nazi sympathisers to embolden Hitler to gas 6 million of their co-religionists. Woo hoo, go B'nai B'rith :rolleyes: As to Vardoger's comment, the...
  15. D

The Bush Family & Nazi Deals

Long time no post here at FT towers, bout time I resumed... Anyway, thanks for digging up that Guardian Article, MF, essentially the same informationas has been floating round the net for a while (and in the pages of Feral House publications amongst others). Be nice to think that a bit of...
  16. D

Government knew 911 attack in advance

Shadow - the only reason this has become a circus is because of Whitehouse 'footdragging' and other games and the fact that it's televised. I don't know why you're so keen to back a bloodthirsty, incompetent and secrecy obssessed administration like this anyway. Condi Rice's speech was yet...
  17. D

Anal to reply to my own post, but thought it'd be better than editing it. As you can see from the first quote, the Senetor is asking Clarke whether increased monitoring of suspected AQ bases, infiltration by Northern Alliance figures etc would have had any chance of stopping 911. It seems...
  18. D

Most of the google results I found for the quote from Sen Gorton SHADOW mentions above miss out the central portion - thought for completeness we might want a unedited copy (always makes me suspicious when I see those ...'s ;)) So perhaps he's saying that those particular measures alone...
  19. D

Al Qaeda Works for the CIA: Why Shouldn't I Believe This?

Rube, in what way? - all the gruops you mention are heirarchical (as far as I know), had stated aims and some sort of manifesto and are/were fairly open in terms of fund raising and recruiting. The point about AQ is that it doesn't follow well known patterns - although OBL is certainly involved...
  20. D

reminds me of the "warballs" section in private eye, where jumped up 'columnists' compare everything from football matches to board meetings to 9/11.
  21. D

Agreed Intaglio; I applaud thee, oh source of Quackery, for a, assumedly, well-researched and presented post. Indeed; television preachers Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson said that liberal civil liberties groups, feminists, homosexuals and abortion rights supporters bear partial...
  22. D

the CIA claims that it would have taken OBL out but the Clinton White house didn't explicitly give them authoirty for an assassination: since when has that ever stopped them? Or does that mean that every assassination it has carried out has come directly from the Oval office? I wonder if...
  23. D

Just to dig up an old chestnut - not only was an attack on Iraq planned month's before 911 now it appears the attack on Afghanistan was given the go-ahead *the day before* 911. Odd? Surely the day after would be more appropriate. Whistleblower Richard Clarke has taken the stand at the 911...
  24. D

Washington DCs Occult HOtel

Do any of our American posters know anything about a Washington Theme hotel aimed at those interested in magick and the occult? I read a passing reference but can find no info on it whatsoever. Sounds like it could make an interesting Fortean traveller feature.
  25. D

'The end of the world? I can't wait'

I also seem to remember reading an article about GW Bush being influenced by the guy who wrote the "left behind" series of post-apocalypse books, let me see if I can dig up a link... Okay Yes, Tim LaHaye has the ear of the president*, here's an article from Rolling stone explaining why. Also...
  26. D

'The end of the world? I can't wait'

Jesus Plus Nothing: the cult that runs America Wasn't sure whether this should have gone in the religions & cults section, but more of a con bent to it really. It's been removed from the Harpers site, so I thought it might like a home, in full, at fortean towers ;) Originally from Harper's...
  27. D

Sunni and Shi'a - Comparisons

Hi Alexius, or should I say merhaba? Pretty much OT, but related to your last comments about the 'creation' of the Turkish language, I wondered if you'd read Orhan Pamuk's "My Name is Red"? It tells a similar story about the death of miniturist painting, especially the stylised form, where...
  28. D

Pana Wave and Japanese cults

Aum's lingering legacy On a sunny morning in March 1995, a secretive group called Aum Shinrikyo quietly released bags of liquefied sarin gas on the Tokyo underground. Twelve people were killed, thousands were sickened, and Japan's image as a bastion of safety was shattered. Nearly nine...
  29. D

Digital interefernce used to carry information?

Agree that it's unlikely someone would use such a public source to send secret information, just wondered if it was a possibility, which it appears to be. As HC points out, you'd have to have hefty encryption keys, and the chance of data loss would make it impossible to gaurantee a succesful...
  30. D

Sometmies it looks like mpeg dodginess but the one type that made me wonder about hiding information replaces the normal pic entirely and consists of blocks of green or blue colour, kind of like the image you get whilst defragging a hard disk. Does the digital image actual get transmitted as...
  31. D

Living in SE Asia I rely on digital stelite channels such as BBC World for my daily dose. I notice on that particular channel there is a great deal of 'static' or interference, often when there's no obvious meteorolgical reason. Is it possible that information could be hidden in these signals...
  32. D

A Good Read: Book Suggestions & Recommendations

If it's fortean novels your thinking of I can't recommend Jasper Fforde's "Thursday Next" books enough: The Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book and The Well of Lost Plots. Set in an alternative universe where cloning of extinct species for pets is all the rage, it features a heroine who has the...
  33. D

best Horror/Thriller Movie

Ah that's a shame Ogo, I thought ennui was tension ;) Didn't you even find the twitchy girl scary? I couldn't even go near a TV for days afterwards!
  34. D

best Horror/Thriller Movie

Ringu was by far the most terrifying film I've seen recently, and the US remake was appaling - no scares, the film within a film was like a bad music video (actually it looked like the opening sequence from '6 feet under') and the acting was drab and lifeless. Why remake such a brilliant film...
  35. D

The strange, strange death of Jeremiah Duggan (neo nazis)

Hmm, notice the way the quoted phone conversation constantly changes? In the most recent one the phone is cut off before he can explain where he is, but the earlier ones indicate his mother knew his wherabouts. All very sinister still...
  36. D

The Death Of Dr David Kelly

Medical evidence does not support suicide by Kelly To get back on thread (not that I'm against a new Iraq thread ;)), here's a letter from some eminent doctors to the Grauniad: Hear, hear! Although by now any circumstantial evidence which may have lead to a possible third party will be long...
  37. D

So not just us crazy con-theorists that think somethings up, eh. This has disturbed me since this whole debacle began, and as usual the main point of interest has been swamped by a smokescreen. I wonder how certain his family really are about the suicide verdict (if in fact we actually have an...
  38. D

As Shirley Bassey once said "it's all just a little bit of history repeating" :( Has anyone registered billionaires_for_bush_or_kerry.com yet ;) Plus his grandfather was a shrewd man, a jew called Kohn, who changed his name to Kerry on arrival in the states. So Kerry gets the Irish and jewish...
  39. D

hey DD< synchronicity! I just accidentally discovered that not only is JFK II a S&B member, he's also a regular attendee at Bildernerg meetings: Bilderberg.com (scroll down or search, he pops up a few times). Should we be making our betting slips out now?
  40. D

I pointed out his faith for 2 reasons: 1) he had a group of co-believers he could have turned to and 2) Bahai strongly discourages suicide (as it says on the page I linked to). I think this whole issue of 'stress' is manufactured, how do we know he was under stress, what testimony from his...
  41. D

I bet Blair envies Berlusconi right now! Owning and controlling all media is an easy way to stay 'on message'. I think the BBC deserves our unreserved support, even though some of their programming isn't always the best. We desperately need media independent of government or business. I...
  42. D

Some interesting questions posed here: QUESTIONS ABOUT HUTTON INQUIRY The thing I found most surprising was this rant from Barbara Amiel in the Telegraph of July last year in which she blatantly calls for the dismantling of the BBC well before Hutton, or at least its emasculation. Because it...
  43. D

I think that's the point AA, we can't get any evidence as none has been released. I also have suspicions about the circumstances of DKs death, and the trial and media broohaha have served as a handy smokescreen, as no-one appears interested into the odder angles of his death; the "dead in the...
  44. D

Promoting Christianity With Mini-Golf

This is one of the craziest pages I've stumbled across in recent times and I'd like to share with the group: Golgotha Biblical Mini-Golf Check out the link so you can see the piccies - particularly the one of people putting amongst crucifixes. As the 'latest report' shows it may no longer be...
  45. D

You'd think there's be a parliamentary process for this sort of thing. Surely the Speaker or leader of the house should appoint these inquisitors, not the front bench. I'd say a call for a review of these processes is also due, regardless of my personal feelings about the government. it would...
  46. D

hi, Arthur, I think basically anyone who agreed with my political views ;) joking aside, I think hutton did a great job of showing a transparent process (as to whether it really was, who can say, see my post above), and certainly it was done in such a way as to have maximum media impact and...
  47. D

I had another thought last night (that 2 in a week! ;)) how does the official secrets act affect cases like this? I don't recall any mention of it, and yet all governmental and intelligence people brought before this enquiry must have signed it. Is it possible to lie in order to keep the act...
  48. D

Thou shall not kill - except when you're allowed to?

Ahh, God loves a bigot ;) I'd be interested to hear what your friend has to say Lopaka.
  49. D

Thou shall not kill - except when you're allowed to?

my tried and tested method of putting these questions to the God of Google has rendered the result thus: 4,150 results for "thou shalt not murder", 51,900 for "thou shalt not kill." The Search Engine has spoken. An interesting commentary about this problem...
  50. D

Perhaps, the Guardian was hot off the blocks to describe the report thus - and as I said before, it was hard to see why the balance of judgement fell so heavily on the BBC when we'd all been exposed to the govt side of things during the enquiry. The fact Campbell resigned before the report was...
Back