• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. D

Why Did Spiritualism Arise?

Does anyone have a theory as to why belief in the closeness of limbo (queerly there are none of the stereotypes of heaveny/ infernally beings associated with the practice - it seems more a folkloric belief in ghosts than anything Religious) arose in the 1850's? I must be missing some...
  2. D

Antichrist Abortion?

Hi, been a long time since I posted (guess I got a life ;)) Anyway I was reading this depressing article: Vatican urges end to Amnesty aid I was idly wondering whether the Vatican would condone the murder of a foetus if it was determined to be the antichrist. I mean, are all children...
  3. D

Washington DCs Occult HOtel

Do any of our American posters know anything about a Washington Theme hotel aimed at those interested in magick and the occult? I read a passing reference but can find no info on it whatsoever. Sounds like it could make an interesting Fortean traveller feature.
  4. D

'The end of the world? I can't wait'

Jesus Plus Nothing: the cult that runs America Wasn't sure whether this should have gone in the religions & cults section, but more of a con bent to it really. It's been removed from the Harpers site, so I thought it might like a home, in full, at fortean towers ;) Originally from Harper's...
  5. D

Digital interefernce used to carry information?

Living in SE Asia I rely on digital stelite channels such as BBC World for my daily dose. I notice on that particular channel there is a great deal of 'static' or interference, often when there's no obvious meteorolgical reason. Is it possible that information could be hidden in these signals...
  6. D

Promoting Christianity With Mini-Golf

This is one of the craziest pages I've stumbled across in recent times and I'd like to share with the group: Golgotha Biblical Mini-Golf Check out the link so you can see the piccies - particularly the one of people putting amongst crucifixes. As the 'latest report' shows it may no longer be...
  7. D

The Republic of Texas

Intrigued by this website republic-of-texas.net which states that a group of texans aims to devolve from the US and become a sovereign nation. they have their own currency, legislature and 'provisional government'. Any Texans out there know anything about the individuals behind this movement...
  8. D

The Da Vinci Code

Has anyone read this book by Dan Brown? Sounds like a rehash of "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", but would be interested to know to what extent, and whether it's worth reading. dot23 Just been reading the intro on Amazon, and the guy murdered in the first chapter is called Sauniere. Not only...
  9. D

Thelemic references in the Star Wars trilogy

Found this whilst doing a search for the phrase "osiris was a black god" and it's hilarious! Enjoy ...
  10. D

"Jesus' Bathhouse"

from the Guardian oct 22nd: Click the link above for the full article.
  11. D

"Escape Now" pop up...

I was looking up stories about the alledged suicide Dr Kelly (UK weapons inspector) when a white square appeared in the middle of my screen with the words "Escape Now" written in the middle :eek!!!!: Is it some strange ad campaign, or have I been contacted by Trinity! Answers on a postcard...
  12. D

Gore Vidal on 9/11, Afghanistan and Iraq

Gore Vidal claims 'Bush junta' complicit in 9/11 So not only hardened conTheorists but respected academics are going back to the 'Bush League' did it theory. Shame the whole article wasn't put on the site, but I'm attempting to track it down... Sample quotes: Also of interest are...
  13. D

The Man Who Would Be God

From BBC news. An American veteran of the Vietnam war who lost his legal bid to change his name to God has decided to call himself I Am Who I Am instead. The former Charles Haffey said he searched the Bible for a backup name after a judge rejected his first choice in April. He drew on a...
  14. D

The Bush Family & Nazi Deals

Author Reports Smallpox and Anthrax Frights Planned Years Be Government and Drug Industry Collusion Cited Sandpoint, ID —There’s more to the current smallpox fright than meets the eye according to public health authority, Dr. Leonard Horowitz. Cipro, anthrax vaccine, and the current smallpox...
  15. D

shareprices and 911

hope this works - just spotted a very strange anomaly between 2 different sources on the ft250/100 and nasdaq prices. In one version of these there's a clear spike around mid september in the other nothing of notice. Odd huh can't get them to come up as piccies tho' Anyway just...
  16. D

Dust From The Dawn of Time

Dust from dawn of time according to this article suns had been created, burnt out and dipersed within a billion years of the universe's creation. Seeing as our sun is meant to be (correct me if I'm wrong) 4.5 billion years old and has a long time to go until it burns up, where does this fit...
  17. D

Submerged City: (India; Mamallapuram; Tamil Nadu; '7 Pagodas')

Divers 'discover' ancient temple thought this might be of interest to people who attended the uncon, and general readers also. There's a link to the ananova coverage of the same story on the home page, but I'll include it here just for completeness. Ananova link is as dead as Ananova. See...
  18. D

Compiling war related stories

HELP REQUIRED - Compiling war related stories I'm trying to put together an overview of the way the Afghan and wider conflicts are being reported, discussed and interpreted on the internet. It's for media workers against war, which is a useful repository of war related news and articles...
  19. D

Modern Eugenics

This morning at about 8:30 (18.2.02) heard a disturbing report, with no comment as to it's nature, on radio 4. Apparently there's a group of 'distinguished' scientists who are pushing for funding for mmore research into genes that 'cause' anti-social behaviour and IQ. Unbelievably this calm...
  20. D

Hamid Karzai's murky history

I was reading this article and it mentions his prior engagement as a 'consultant' for a large oil company who were lobbying for a large afghan pipeline. Not only that but he's an ex-CIA man! the world keeps gettin' smaller evry day. Oh, he's the new afghan leader if you didn't know! I'll...
  21. D

Jack Chick, His Xtian Comics & Extreme Religious Pulp Propaganda

very disturbing material from some online evangelists - I've only read the Muslim and Masonry sections - but boy - this is serious misinformation / indoctrination. I'm sure anyone who's read my previous threads knows I have grave doubts about the motivations and background to freemasonry -...
  22. D

meditating a no-no in Commons

weird thing from last night... I was visiting the house of commons for an anti-war meeting organised by 'Labour against the war' and afterwards we were asked by the security guards whether we wanted to visit the main debating chamber. Having never been before, we all thought it'd be fun to go...
  23. D

Easter: Origin of the Name and Associated Symbols

I'm reading 'the Golem' by Gustav Meyrik and it mentions a connection between hares, the easter bunny and Osiris. Anyone else heard of this, and can they shed any light on the connection? Also, if that is the case, could the hiding and finding of eggs represent the search by Isis for the...
  24. D

Cloning & The Second Coming

Scientists use 'virgin birth' technique Makes you wonder... What better way to appear again for the Second Coming, or should that be the Second Cloning? I've worked it all out - Dolly the Sheep is the Great Beast of Revelation :eek!!!!:
  25. D

Is There Life On Mars?

new dispute over Martian meteorite it seems this bit of rock has a good press agent ;) What would knowing that life had existed on Mars do to our understanding of science, of religion and of our place in the Universe? Answers on a postcard please...
  26. D

The Dead Sea Scrolls

Heard a brief item on Radio4 last night that the DDS are being released in their entirety by the Vatican. Any more news/ theories about the timing etc
  27. D

Some links re CIA in Afghanistan

9--11 peace.org this page explains some of the history behind binLaden and the Taliban, with links to other stories/sources Also I thought I'd include this link Ajeeb's Arabic Translation site allows you to read arabic news, including Al-Jazeera. Useful to compare the...
  28. D

Yellow Pages of Forteana

I was thinking it would be good if people could recommend intersting places to go, alternative book/record/art shops, etc. I know this's been done to some extent before, but it didn't really get anywhere. I'll suggest to Alistair that we have a new section which has 'folders' for different...
  29. D

Another Plane Crashes in New York

Just read a CNN.com story (very brief). A passanger airplane heading for new york JFK has just crashed into the Queens burrough. Several buildings are on fire, and Mayor Guillani has called a level one alert (whatever that means). more as soon as I find it...
  30. D

UK State of Emergency Announced

I was fairly horrified to read in the Observer yesterday that Blunkett has declared a state of emergency in the UK. This law, which is 'a technicality' according to Blunkett, allows the UK govt to 'opt out' of the European convention convention on Human rights, allowing suspected terrorists to...
  31. D

Christ's Bloodline: An Amazing Revelation!

Whilst doing some research to help me complete this computer game I've been playing recently (Gabriel Knight 3 - all based about the Rennes-le-chateau mystery, and very entertaining), I came upon this web page: click here for amazing revelation! After opening page scroll down to the...
  32. D

name change for US operations

I was bemsued/amused last night to hear on the radio that the US operation in the Gulf, originally codenamed 'Infinite Justice', has had it's name changed after Muslim clerics complained. In a scene almost out of Dr Strangelove, the clerics claimed that this name was an insult to all muslims...
Back