• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. AgProv

FT444

That time of the month has crept up on us again. FT444 is here... Goat glands for health and vitality! Gay vegetables from outer space! True tales of megalomaniac totalitarian science! And a fearsome creature called Fluffy! i am now going to go offline and start reading.
  2. AgProv

FT441

Just back from a thrilling morning in hospital, having had another ride on the CTI merry-go-round... and. What - Already? FT441 (Feb 2024) is on the mat, having slipped through a time-warp from a presumed date of arrival for next week. We have to look forward to (or I will, as I intend to...
  3. AgProv

FT437

Here we go again: Spook Shows Jan Bondeson's Haunted Houses Nigel Kneale's Beasts Alien Corpses State Of The Spectral Nation First impression: the white envelope appears to be thicker, heavier, and more substantial. Somebody must have been listening to all the annoyed comments here about the...
  4. AgProv

The Haunted Author

An interesting article from the Observer today (Sunday 24th Sep 23). In which Jeanette Winterson talks about home, haunting, ghosts and the Afterlife. disembodied entities are not the only ghosts
  5. AgProv

Eyes Painted On Vehicles (For Good Luck, Etc.)

This discussion was spun off from the Swastikas Thread. Interestingly, in the days when British tanks were still known as "His Majesty's Landships", they could be seen adopting the seafaring tradition of having the Eye of Horus painted on the side as a good-luck charm. This never completely...
  6. AgProv

The Psychic Paintbox (Sensing Colours Non-Visually)

I could think of a better title, given time, but there doesn't seem to be a thread to attach this little oddness to. Story: spent this afternoon in Chester to catch up with old friends. Relaxed, cheerful, pleasant day. I even managed to fit in a visit to the local hobby shop to buy paints -...
  7. AgProv

So You've Just Bought A House Where Somebody Got Murdered...

This is an interesting article from yesterday's Guardian (Sat 19th Nov 2022). It's a very Fortean question: if you buy a house, or move into a property, with a troubled past and a violent murder having happened there - what happens next? How do you react, what might you feel, do you have any...
  8. AgProv

Does Earth's Rotation Make Westward Travel Faster?

If you're going to be up in the air for a long time and covering 3500 miles, would the rotation of the earth underneath you make a difference? In one direction, would a few miles be shaved off the flight, and in the other direction, would they be added on? Trying to work this one out!
  9. AgProv

FT411

Mysterious and esoteric... Scunthorpe! For one night only in Watford! - The King! Elvis Presley! Hunt Emerson is back! (Agprov, doing a pp for maximus otter)
  10. AgProv

The Legend Of The White Hart

Question: this is a genuinely "known" sort of animal and there is absolutely no doubt it exists in the world. The Fortean and the "cryptozoological" comes from the mythology and the legend surrounding it. So this story may not belong here but i'm stuck as to where to put it.... The White Hart...
  11. AgProv

Cassandra Lives...

This was in the Guardian today: a genuinely interesting bit of lateral thinking in Germany based on the fortean observation of "how did this author make such a spookily accurate prediction years before the event, even if they genuinely only believed they were writing fiction? What could be...
  12. AgProv

Everything Is Under Control

This isn't about any one conspiracy per se; it's a digression into an interesting book I picked up by one Robert Anton Wilson, pretty much an overview of what he considered were the most prevalent, or at least interesting, conspiracy theories doing the rounds at the time of writing, 1999...
  13. AgProv

FT396

Just got 396 today - looking for the thread but I can't find it. I'd open one, except for the thought occuring to me that I cannot be the first with the latest edition - I assumed this once before only to discover a thread had been opened, but somewhere else where I hadn't thought to look for it...
  14. AgProv

Inexplicable Attraction To Strangers

In the interests of weirdness, I've got to talk about an odd thing that happens to me. I can be travelling to work or elsewhere by bus and most of the time my reaction to the other people travelling with me is the usual kind of neutral benevolence. they're there, they get on, they get off. the...
  15. AgProv

If You Don't Have The Full Story...

Watching the great Fred Dibnah in re-runs of his TV work. I watched this episode - on the logistics of getting things from ground level to the top of an industrial chimney and back again - and a thought occured to me. Watch the video from about 4:00 in. Dibhah devised his own in-house system of...
  16. AgProv

Computer-assisted telekinesis (CAT) - apparently here...

I'm sure there's a better place to start this thread. But regard this news item that suggests, quite plausibly, that mind-control of objects is possible, even actual. https://www.facebook.com/verge/videos/1089582167744792/ First reaction: I wonder what OTHER applications Florida University...
  17. AgProv

An Ailurophobe In Croydon? The Croydon Cat Killer

gruesome and horrible, but a serial cat killer is active in London: Lhttps://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/uk/suspected-croydon-cat-killer-strikes/
  18. AgProv

Strange 'Rain' of Baby Spiders in Australia

Fort would have loved this one http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/million-baby-spiders-rain-down-sky-australia
  19. AgProv

Mass hysteria in the making, or something more sinister?

Thinking about all the panics concerning "bogus social workers" and "stranger danger". Situations where there may well be a kernel of truth at the bottom, but which have been blown up out of all proportion and overlaid with strata of confusion, irrationality, urban myth, and just plain...
  20. AgProv

Google Earth & Military Bases

I was using Google Earth to research a short story set in California; I wanted a "wilderness spot" within reasonable travelling distance of Pasadena. i found a place that looked good about 50-60 miles east of the city and zoomed in, only to find Lake Arrowhead was ringed about with homes and...
  21. AgProv

Speech & Conversation In Dreams

I read the two threads last night on "reading in dreams" and "where do you live in dreams" and found them both fascinating. With the permission of the mods, i'd like to kick off a third related thread, on the significance or otherwise of speech and conversation in dreams. My dreaming life is...
Back