• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. severs1966

Weird Doppelgänger Encounter?

My doppelgänger adventures: Part 1 --- https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/doppelg%C3%A4nger.4461/page-6#post-1615604 Part 2 --- https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/doppelg%C3%A4nger.4461/page-6#post-1615607 Part 3 ---...
  2. severs1966

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I don't actually work up the top of the tower. It's not normally manned at all unless a fault condition summons a field engineer or rigger up the lift. I work in the main building in the compound at the bottom of the tower. It is only two stories high but that's enough for a set of stairs. The...
  3. severs1966

Strange Coincidences?

Just visiting, although I did live in Leeds between 1986 and 1999.
  4. severs1966

Auditory Pareidolia With Repetitive Mechanical Sounds

We've all read about the innate and apparently evolutionarily useful tendency to see faces in whatever shapes and patterns we happen to be looking at, or even to see other things (especially when upset or stressed). It's well documented. What's the name for when you hear words in non-verbal...
  5. severs1966

The Scariest Fortean Thing Ever To Happen To You

I have already written about the Fortean thing that scared me the most: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/rational-explanations-for-shadow-people-please.60216/#post-1535478 As it happens, I have since discovered the totally understandable explanation for it (which is still fairly...
  6. severs1966

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

My secondary school did an exchange with a German school (in Rhineland) when I was a school-kid. As part of this, I heard a lot of the early 80s "Neue Deutsche Welle" tunes on German radio, it was a massive music fashion in Germany just then. Decades later, I happened to be experiencing a...
  7. severs1966

Strange Coincidences?

Mine is real. My name is Severs, and I was born in 1966.
  8. severs1966

Inexplicable Small Watcher By The Roadside

Without wanting to pour scorn on your sighting, keep the possibility of a complete or partial mental fabrication as one explanation. These can arise for unexpected reasons, as happened to me in a vaguely related episode...
  9. severs1966

Guardian Angel Whilst Recovering From Cancer

Now this bit does make a very satisfying explanation to me, having had quite a lot of surgery.
  10. severs1966

Guardian Angel Whilst Recovering From Cancer

I am insufficiently well-informed to understand. I'm not trying to be derogatory, honest... but can you explain to the likes of me what the significance is of these three names, to the situation?
  11. severs1966

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

This thread seems to be born again: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/have-you-got-a-double.65566/
  12. severs1966

Have You Got A Double?

I have 2 photos that are amazing in comparison. My Dad, in about 1950, and my brother (his eldest son) in about 1972. They are each standing in front of a brick wall, wearing school uniforms, which are identical due to going to the same school a generation apart (I also went there but uniforms...
  13. severs1966

Have You Got A Double?

Another Leeds one here. In the "Doppelgänger" thread, I wrote about my double, who (according to recent sightings) must still live not too far away, over 30 years later. Apparently he still dresses believably like me. Can a scruffy inability to dress stylishly be inherited, like looks can...
  14. severs1966

When Did It Begin?

Very nearly correct, it is not static electricity but actually magnetism, that is to say, electromagnetism. A current flowing through any conductor will create a magnetic field in a circle around it (not a spiral). This doesn't really properly explain why a digital watch would suffer when near...
  15. severs1966

Odd Little Statue

Sorry to pop the "hidden treasure" angle, but if there is anyone left in this thread who thinks this sort of thing could be valuable, it isn't. Guanyin / Avalokiteshvara "statuettes" turn up as trinkets in Buddhist nations that have tourist resorts, usually made of cast resin and costing...
  16. severs1966

These Roads Lead... Where?

There's two! On the one hand, Flatterland is the "proper" sequel. There is another story (just a short story, not a novel) that came about because of Flatland, called The Planiverse. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Planiverse The basic premise of this story would probably appeal to many...
  17. severs1966

The Fading Man

By what proportion? Mains voltages fluctuate by a certain amount. Where was this higher voltage coming from?
  18. severs1966

Torsion & Torsion Wave Theories

I'm perfectly aware of how the scientific method works. The fact that previously scorned hypotheses made the journey to firm ground does not legitimise stuff for which no evidence whatsoever has been found. The double-slit experiment, for example, is experimental evidence in need of an...
  19. severs1966

Dammit, I can't let this go even if it is cluttering the thread. I came here to cast doubt on the idea that the MoD identified anything as being pertinent to torsion waves, because the MoD does not make statements linking "folk magic" concepts like dowsing and earth energy to not-established...
  20. severs1966

My apologies. I'll shut up now.
  21. severs1966

Erm, the source is you in posting number 22 in this thread, when you claim that Earth Energy (whatever that is) was identified by the MoD as torsion waves. It was that statement that got me involved in this thread, because I don't believe that the MoD has made any such identification. Not sure...
  22. severs1966

I'm sorry if this seems a hostile response, but that first link is something I would be very embarassed to be associated with. I'm including it here: quote... The new sciences of biophotons and torsion fields provide a bridge between two views of life: the old twentieth century view of an...
  23. severs1966

My Three Things

I posted about my "top three" before... 1. Seeing "shadow people"/"ghosts": I saw shadows of people walking around on their own without real people there to cast the shadows. At the time, I thought they were apparitions from beyond. I could only see them at night. It was also inexplicably...
  24. severs1966

Thiotimoline (Fictional Compound; Asimov; 1948)

Ah, non-peer-reviewed publications that look sciencey. "The Endochronic Properties of Resublimated Thiotimoline" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiotimoline
  25. severs1966

Dolls?

You could recycle all the "Gotan" dolls from the free offer in 1995. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Gotan+doll&tbm=isch
  26. severs1966

Well, it took a while, but I am saddened to report that the "surveys of research" and especially the wall of text accessible via that link are exactly what I was dreading. A big pile of unconnected bits and bobs of real science, sciencey-sounding stuff, unproven one-person hypotheses, and...
  27. severs1966

The MoD identified earth energy as torsion waves? As a communications engineer, I don't believe that MoD has ever stated any such identification. Can you identify an document or publication in which this identification was made? Or indeed any document or publication in which anyone from the MoD...
  28. severs1966

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

Well, that's certainly the direction the low-quality daytime-TV film script would take if they wanted to make the life story of me, but sex it up a bit. It's worth adding that I have never seen the redheaded woman. I only know of her via the many stories other people tell me. It is therefore...
  29. severs1966

Pluckley Visit

"Don't blink"
  30. severs1966

Strange Perfume & A UFO

I'd imagine that owuld be a routine explanation but the house is only 17 years old; we have lived in it since it was built.
  31. severs1966

The Shadow Man

link? Bit more detail?
  32. severs1966

Bizarre Encounter In A Shop

Did I misunderstand? What's esoteric about rare earth elements? Neodymium is used all over the place these days, for example.
  33. severs1966

Contact

Anyone who has seen a few performances by Derren Brown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derren_Brown will realise that no such technology is necessary to explain demonstrations of "mind reading". The much simpler explanation of how it appears to be done without such technology is probably true, if...
  34. severs1966

Planes Filmed Standing Still In The Air

Yes, that's right, roughly speaking
  35. severs1966

Strange Perfume & A UFO

In our spare room, my OH and I have been smelling a faintly "electrical" burning smell. We have searched high and low and can't find what's causing it (I'm an electronics engineer so I am not a dummy about such things). It's only there about half the time, and it is only near the door, not in...
  36. severs1966

Planes Filmed Standing Still In The Air

A moving object viewed from another moving object with nothing around it to give a frame of reference... No need to resort to hoax/CGI as explanations for this. It is a simple illusion of perspective.
  37. severs1966

Shortwave Number Stations

G6UJR here. Never sat a morse test. I was very pleased when the new rules gave me access to all bands.
  38. severs1966

Seeing Lightning Indoors

You could be having what is called an "ocular migraine". You might not get some of the "famous" migraine symptoms, like the intense pain and discomfort and disorientation. I get them, and on most occasions it just looks as if I am looking at the world through a piece of glass with a crack in...
  39. severs1966

It Never Happened, But...

I wrote about my detailed, totally convincing memories of something that never happened here: forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/false-memories.61342/ Link is obsolete. The current link is: https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/false-memories.1485/post-1595653 For me, it was in...
  40. severs1966

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

It might do if I wasn't getting any myself, as it were. It was mildly annoying, back in the days when I was conspicuously unlucky with the ladies, as the traditional terminology might have it. Fortunately, since those days, I have also found a beloved, so everything's OK. married for 23 years...
  41. severs1966

Strangeness In Vehicles: Things Experienced While Driving (IHTM)

It is possible that such sightings are, sometimes, brought about by what seems like totally unrelated causes. I saw mysterious dark figures by the roadside while driving, and it troubled me until I discovered its very mundane cause...
  42. severs1966

Predicting Illness In A Stranger?

Could the afflicted lady be having some sort of diabetic seizure? Diabetes causes the strong presence of ketones in the exhaled breath and sweat. Dogs can be trained to detect a sudden swelling of the concentration of this, to point this out in patients, to give "advance warning" of an episode...
  43. severs1966

False Memories

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/doppleganger.4461/page-8#post-1615604 Here is the start of my 3-part essay (sorry it went on for so long) on the mysterious "other me". I met him, and nothing supernatural happened. it felt pretty supernatural, though. Don't worry about the...
  44. severs1966

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

Deaf Doppelganger part 3 I saw him on a bus a few months after my last visit to the Leeds Deaf Club. I was outside, and saw him through the window. He gawped at me with the stare of recognition. I imagine he must have been thinking "It's him again!"... just like I was. I chased, but didn't...
  45. severs1966

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

Deaf Doppelganger part 2 In the days and weeks following the mystery meeting, I pondered the existence of someone so much like me. I concluded two things. 1. I felt that it was some sort of destiny that we should meet. We must be related, we must be somehow close in some way that I couldn't...
  46. severs1966

Doppelgängers (IHTM)

Deaf Doppelganger part 1 I am 50 years old. My story begins when I was a student in the 80s, it must have been about 1988 or thereabouts. I was studying at Leeds Polytechnic, the "city site" of which is right next to Leeds University. The students who did not live in Halls of Residence all...
  47. severs1966

False Memories

I don't know if I have shared my experiences on this forum of occasionally meeting a chap who looks exactly like me. He lives somewhere around the area where I live. Some of my friends and acquaintances have seen or met him, leading to "hilarious consequences", etc. (actually not in any way...
  48. severs1966

False Memories

This is certainly quite believable, and could have contributed a great deal. I certainly had plenty of friends who rode motorcycles. That's part of the evidence that I never had one during the "fictional" episode; it certainly wasn't a memory of learning in secret. I would have been sure to tell...
  49. severs1966

False Memories

I remember the instructor as clear as day, especially because his name was Jez Hardwicke, and I remember him repeatedly telling me and other candidates filling in forms, etc, that it has an "e" on the end, which is the less common spelling. I have asked around and nobody who was "on the scene"...
  50. severs1966

Classic Archive Merged: Pani(ic) In The Woods

Don't be jealous of false memories, they can be quite unpleasant at times if you are not yet aware they are false. Some are just inexplicable in every way and neither good nor bad until they accidentally cause disruption. I have a complete and self-consistent memory or several things that never...
Back