• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Kondoru

Scottish Crannog Centre Re-Opening 1st April

Yup. come on down! (You had better come as I have just made 500 leather tickets and I want to see them used...)
  2. Kondoru

Lone Lighthouse Keepers

Where does this trope come from? lighthousekeepers work in twos and threes, dont they?
  3. Kondoru

Boats And Lack Of

Has there ever been a society that has known nothing about boats? Someone mentioned Tibet, referring to Lake Mansowar (??) But the coracle shippers on the rivers are well known....So yes, there are boats in Tibet.
  4. Kondoru

Garlic

Anyhow this line of thought started when I bought a couple of slices of simnel cake from the community cafe for me and Dad as an Easter treat. (£2 each and a bargain). The cake was very extravagant and over spiced and I commented to Dad that this is what anyone who had money in medieval times...
  5. Kondoru

Visualisation Of The Internet

Having a bit of a bender in between Uni work and watching some filums. Latest was Disneys `Ralph Breaks the Internet`. Which is, if you do not know, a story in which a 1980s video game character gets into the Internet. The Internet is visualised as a futuristic city, which made me think. Is...
  6. Kondoru

The True Victorian Architectural Style?

(Mods, feel free to move if inappropriate place). Had my Covid jab yesterday which meant I had to wait. And admire the Victorian architecture. This lot was Neoclassical. The Victorians revived a lot of old styles, but did they have one of their own? The only thing I can think of, (off the...
  7. Kondoru

High In The Highlands

Im planning a month in Scotland. (Have been particularly virtuous so they are letting me stay that long) Im going to be helping out at the Crannog Centre on Loch Tay. Anything nearby to see? I will be right handy to the Fortingall Yew.
  8. Kondoru

The Harrying Of The North

What about the Harrying of the North? I was reading about the New Forest and how it was lies that the area was cleared of villages. But Im not sure what happened around that time in the North of England.
  9. Kondoru

Blogging About Forteana In A Respectful Way

(Mods; feel free to move if you feel this is not the right place) I want to blog on local Forteana but in a scholarly way; there's too much junk online and I am trying to make an academic name for myself Which does not mean I cant do Forteana! What do you suggest? Any good examples?
  10. Kondoru

Why Are Pirates Romanticised?

Just curious.
  11. Kondoru

Marc Aurel Stein (Archaeologist; Explored Central Asia)

(This line of discussion originally appeared in the Ancient Microbes / Tibetan Plateau thread.) Reminds me of Mark Aurel Stein's account of excavating a Tibetian outpost fort in Eastern Tibet. He assumes the garrison was reduced because he found a lot of interesting things in one of the...
  12. Kondoru

An Article On Ghosts; How To Be Dignified

Next article idea. Wiltshire pub ghosts. Heaven knows there are a lot of haunted pubs in the county... I was going to write on Wiltshire pubs but lets face it; lots of nice ones. Picking a category is an idea Why not ghosts? (its that or dolorous names...) I myself have never experienced a...
  13. Kondoru

Hayling Island

A Day out! Joy! But is there anything worth seeing? There is a beach (no idea if good for sea glass) and a theme park) And thats it. I did find there isa Saxon font in St Marys.
  14. Kondoru

A Plague Of Unicorns

The other day I went shopping in The Range and there were an astounding number pf products with unicorns on them. Why are unicorns so popular these days? I find them sinister
  15. Kondoru

Submitting An Article To FT

They have nothing on the magazine. Do they actually want any new articles? Any ideas?
  16. Kondoru

Wiltshire

Now I am back home I would like some ideas for when I can explore... Not conventional Wiltshire, something a bit different.
  17. Kondoru

House Built In A Day

https://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/jolly_lane_cott.htm I found this from Dartmoor, but the idea of a squatter getting rights to land by building a house on it in a day seems more widespread any other informtion on the subject? (I dont know about Dartmoor but I suspect most places a simple...
  18. Kondoru

Books On Romany Crafts

Any you know of? I cannot find any on Ebay I reccolect seeing one in the School library; this would be mid 80s. Cultural stuff on the Roma might be helpful too.
  19. Kondoru

The Media & Forteana

(Mods feel free to put in a sensible place if you think I havent done a good job in that line) <Complete aside> Visiting a farmer friend this weekend. I saw lots of things to interest me (Earthworks, cats, an old cider press, some super longhorn horns, a Gypsy caravan, vintage tractors...
  20. Kondoru

Bells, Bell Towers & Bell Ringing

There is a trade in bells...some are on Ebay, if you need a big bell. (Quite coincidentaly I looked them up, after looking for pews) and bells get moved from church to church. the ones from Merther in the Roseland peninsula in Cornwall are now at Tresilian.
  21. Kondoru

William Adams (17th C. 'English Samurai'): Remains Found

https://www.ancient-origins.net/news-history-archaeology/english-samurai-0013732 Once there was an English sailor, who traveling as a navigator on a Spanish ship was blown off course and far off of the charts. After many tribulations and losing hope they made landfall in a country that to the...
  22. Kondoru

Ancient Origins Magazine

What do you think of it? I was warned to be very careful in my diet; Im allowed plenty of Fringe Archaeology but utterly forbidden Pseudo Archaeology. And there is some very flakey stuff in Ancient Origins
  23. Kondoru

Folk Song Collections—The Early Ones

Im thinking about 16th century yes? The song I am looking for isnt British, it was collected in Lapland. Its about a Reindeer. Does anyone know anything about these collections?
  24. Kondoru

The Future Of Methodism

Dads circuit is in despair. They now have two ministers to twelve chapels. And a shortage of Lay preachers. (Admit that many for health reasons cant do it but some maybe should) Dad is one of the youngest there. He is 82.
  25. Kondoru

Live Action Adaptations Of Cartoons

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-new-tom-and-jerry-live-action-movie-is-coming-next-wi-1839380415 Growing up in the 80s, -a dark age for cartoons, I enjoyed the classics This sounds grim and no doubt will flop. But the live action (or the CGI live action) seems the in thing these days...Heyo, just...
  26. Kondoru

Plymouth

I attend Plymouth Uni these days and the city is kind of growing on me. (Though I do not live there) Anything Foretean? Of course, a city that celebrates Brutalist Archictecture is odd in itself.
  27. Kondoru

Wedding Venues

I am millitantly single, but these days I have a lot of interests in the Heritage Industry. And its interesting to see the sort of places billed as a Wedding venue. Would you, for random but slightly OTT example, get married in Bodmin Jail??? Every strange building is jumping on ths...
  28. Kondoru

Phillip K Dick Paper

Many years ago I found a paperback of talksfrom a 70s sf conference. one in particular I would like to read again. It was by Phillip K Dick He wasnt able to attend, but someone did, and read his paper for him. (Given his phobias this is unsuprising) I recall he talked a lot about Pericles...
  29. Kondoru

Antlered Beasts

Meaning Cervids. Cant get them mixed up with anything else...I cannot tell you if `Horncraft` excludes Antlers though! One naturalist said that if we had no Deer, then the idea of an animal that grows complex organs every year, then casts them, only to grow a more complex set would be pure sf!
  30. Kondoru

Horned Beasts

My Dissertation was on the Benty Grange helmet. This artefact is made from cows horn...its a plastic helmet. But to embark upon this esoteric subject I had to learn a lot about horn. So, horned cryptids...Bovids, etc...
  31. Kondoru

Bon

As in the old religion of Tibet... ...I think the Religions and Cults section should have something new, so I propose this faith. Which is apparently on the increase. A friend told me about a recent novel about Bon, but sadly could give neither author or title...anyone know this?
  32. Kondoru

That New Cosmos

Is it any good?
  33. Kondoru

An ABC Speaker at the Bushcraft Show

http://www.thebushcraftshow.co.uk/whats ... -speakers/ Odd place to find one. Most bushcrafters I know refuse to acknowlege anything remotely cryptozoological...
  34. Kondoru

WANTED Space mission Patches

Would like some for my collection. I still have those Dr Who books.
  35. Kondoru

Dr Who Paperbacks (Early 80s)

But some reprints of earlier, so all first four or five Doctors there. Ex lib but should give much pleasure to an old or a young fan. I am not splitting, Im afraid The tenth planet 62 full circle 26 Keeper of traken 37 time flight 74 marco polo 94 andriods of tara 3 enlightenment...
  36. Kondoru

Ian Fleming's James Bond Paperbacks

The old Pan ones from the 60s Pretty much all his Bond novels. In return I am interested in some Anime (I have wide tastes) or some fortean book.
  37. Kondoru

Alexandria David Neels books online

Cant seem to find them. I started at `Sacred Texts` (a very useful resource IMHO) Anyone seen them anywhere?
  38. Kondoru

Homo erectus (Episode: BBC's "Planet of the Apemen: Battle for Earth")

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._Homo_Erectus/ I think they did pretty good. Anyway of recording this without access to modern technology.
  39. Kondoru

Foxed by a Mongoose.

Its `that` Mongoose.... Yes, you are going to be saying, Hes cleverer than you, thats why. After a lot of arm twisting and sitting upon, I got Dad to take me to the Isle of Man. (He pays and I plans...) He likes to walk, so first day was fine, we went up Dalby Mountain. And would you...
  40. Kondoru

Ultramarines

http://ultramarinesthemovie.com/ Wibble Wibble Wibble.
  41. Kondoru

Not much of a bang

An argument with my Physics teacher. He says that if anything went wrong with a nuclear pwer station (he does not like them, prefering to grow biofuels......) it would go up like a bomb. I said no, no big bang but a messy meltdown. Im pretty sure Im right but Id like confirming evidence...
  42. Kondoru

Greek and roman stuff

Classical religion never seems to have recieved much comment, nor do my new age friends show an interest in it. has anyone any idea why?
  43. Kondoru

People With Violet Eyes

Was reading Jack Williamsons `Legion of Time` (one of the best sf stories ever written BTW) The Heroine has violet eyes. Interesting the amount of fictional characters with violet or purple eyes. Why? And are there any real persons with this bizzare color??
  44. Kondoru

Hair Turning White / Grey From Fright (Or Injury Or Stress)

Or stress Any well documented cases and why? Why does hair change colour anyway? My aunt died in her 80s and her hair was brown edged with grey! My hair started out blonde, and is now dark brown.
  45. Kondoru

Fortean Devon

Going on residential training in Exeter. Im going to put my spare time to good use. anything in Devon?
  46. Kondoru

Man, Myth and Magic

Got a copy for £2 is it worth it? it looks typical `part works` And the bindings dreadful.
  47. Kondoru

New energies

Bored with the Unclear power debate. There are several futuristic energies...whats the reasaerch being done into them? Hydrogen? Geomagnatism?
  48. Kondoru

The Devil and All his works by Dennis Wheatley

Paperback decent cond £12 inc postage I take paypal
  49. Kondoru

Want to keep private

http://mysterytopia.com/2008/07/bluetoo ... sands.html Too easy being tracked these days, look, not so much at the article but the ads following. How do you prevent this? a faraday cage?
Back