• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Peripart

The Loch Ness Monster

Oh no! It's the Sturgeon's photo all over again. Unless you meant Nicola.
  2. Peripart

The Loch Ness Monster

Grebe?
  3. Peripart

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

You're a right pair of Herbets, and no mistake.
  4. Peripart

The Optical Illusions Thread

I see Sam Rockwell as Zaphod Beeblebrox! Or possibly the singer from Nickelback...
  5. Peripart

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I don't know, but I suspect that it's the other way around.
  6. Peripart

The Crooked House In Himley: The Pub Where Coins 'Roll Uphill'

Tossers. Though it was obvious they'd try this. They were given 3 years to rebuild, but I hope this gets reduced now.
  7. Peripart

Nominative Determinism

Do you remember that great comedy The Fall and Rise of Reggie Perrin? The title character's middle name was Iolanthe.
  8. Peripart

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

Hey! Not all of us have that lovely natural slime, you know. Oiling up properly takes work, you know.
  9. Peripart

A Penny For Your Thoughts: Strange Change

I think that if you asked me what coins I was holding, it would be correct to say that I have two pennies in my hand. If you asked how much money there was, I'd say two pence. That's the distinction in UK English, I think. Pennies for the coins, pence for what they represent. But never, ever...
  10. Peripart

A Penny For Your Thoughts: Strange Change

Yes, shillings and florins (aka "two bob") could be spent in shops until the 5p and 10p, respectively, were shrunk. Until then, 5p and a "bob" were the same size and weight. Oddly, the first 50p coins (ie the large ones) came out in 1969, 2 years before decimalisation. Until then, there had...
  11. Peripart

Steampunk: Back To The (Steam-Powered) Future

I've always loved that image. The site linked says it's probably by Rodney Matthews and used for a computer game. Let me state that it's definitely by Rodney Matthews, and I believe its earliest usage was on a Diamond Head album cover. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am_I_Evil_(album)...
  12. Peripart

Lego Heads In Mugshots?

And also, in any given line-up, surely only one person is the suspect? Isn't that the point? So 4 out of 5 aren't even suspects.
  13. Peripart

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Bonuses of re-watching the old stories include playing "name that supporting actor". For example, the aforementioned "Seeds of Doom" includes Tony Beckley (Camp Freddie from The Italian Job) as the sinister baddie, and John Challis (Boycie from OFAH) as his murderous sidekick.
  14. Peripart

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

"Robot" may, indeed, be cack when watched again, but I saw "The Robots of Death" the other week, and it still held up very well. In fact, a lot of the middle-to-late Tom Baker stories are still pretty good - I've also recently watched "Face of Evil", "Brain of Morbius" and others, and yes, you...
  15. Peripart

Point Nemo

Yes, I remember my Latin, but assumed "Point Nemo" was pronounced the anglicised way (whether named after Verne's character or the animated clownfish, I don't know!).
  16. Peripart

Point Nemo

Good point - should it be knee-mo or nay-mo? I've always assumed the former. However, as you say, we always tend to go with Ever-est, even though I know that the man himself was Eve-rest.
  17. Peripart

Chinny Reckon

Well, I do recall it, so it did at least dip its toes in the Midlands in the 1970s.
  18. Peripart

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I guess the tears were down to the sheer shame of getting caught. He probably wasn't a "regular", just some sad case without a plan who decided to pocket something on the spur of the moment. Funny, I'm normally pretty zero-tolerance on any crime, but something in what you wrote has elicited...
  19. Peripart

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Some of the FE videos I've seen dispute the existence of this thing we call "gravity". Apparently, it's all density and buoyancy... which of course does nothing to explain how density decides which way is "up".
  20. Peripart

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

And it's available in about 20 different flavours (only a very slight exaggeration) these days, so if you don't fancy the original, there are other options. Here's some minor strangeness though: you can now get sugar-free Lucozade. Doesn't that defeat the object of the stuff?
  21. Peripart

UK National Lottery

That seems to suggest that presenting the Lottery show is bad for your health. A good proportion of those named above have carked it.
  22. Peripart

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

A good idea. If he gets too hot during the marathon, he can open the door.
  23. Peripart

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Well, both tournaments are played at a fixed time in the year, and all of the major tournaments finsh with the mens singles on the final Sunday. So, although the 2195-day coincidence seems remarkable, it's just 6 years, give or take a day or two.
  24. Peripart

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

On a more positive note, a Happy 90th Birthday to Tom Baker!
  25. Peripart

Dangerous Ideas

Whereas Davros speakers sound like Daleks.
  26. Peripart

What's The Most Outrageous Conspiracy Theory You Have Heard?

I think some Flat Earthers display a bit of this when they refer to dissenters as "Globetards"!
  27. Peripart

What's The Most Outrageous Conspiracy Theory You Have Heard?

As so often with this sort of total bobbins, it's less about answering questions and more about showing how the discoverer isn't one of the "sheeple", finding stuff that "they" don't want you to know.
  28. Peripart

Thinking (or more likely, over-thinking) about this one, I wonder if the effect is similar to those illusions where one picture changes into another as you get closer or further away. The most commonly seen one involves Marilyn Monroe turning into Einstein.
  29. Peripart

Clever! I moved back 2m at first, but that's testing my focus (mildly short-sighted), but as I edged back in, it became clear. Now it's hard to unsee it.
  30. Peripart

Give that man a plaque!
  31. Peripart

Car Park Shenanigans

If you know that the car is going to fail its MOT and will be scrapped, that means it's unroadworthy now, and you shouldn't really be driving it at all. I shan't tell, though, not as the test is in a couple of days! And anyway, your fears might not come true. I've had old cars pleasantly...
  32. Peripart

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

There's no hope...
  33. Peripart

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Yes, but science fiction, I'd like to hope!
  34. Peripart

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Fair enough! But Newton didn't invent the name or the concept, and the correct word comes from the Latin gravitas, meaning weight, so there's not a chance that Sir Isaac would have thought to say "mavity"...
  35. Peripart

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I fear I probably did exactly that, back when that series was broadcast. I tried to choose my words a little more carefully this time! By the way, someone tell Russell T Davies that it's not big or clever (or remotely amusing after the 75th time) to have someone say "mavity" every episode.
  36. Peripart

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

It was good fun, if a bit light on plot, but Gatwa is certainly charismatic. Not sure that I'm quite as gushing as the Guardian, but he's extremely watchable. The singing and dancing were justified in context, so I hope we don't get too much more of that! Well, they made a whole season out of...
  37. Peripart

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

And Reece Dinsdale, too. Very unusual as a forename, though.
  38. Peripart

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I missed it on original broadcast, and have only watched it on VHS!
  39. Peripart

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I mostly agree with that. There's much to enjoy in Fenric, but it would've benefitted from another 20 minutes injected into the story, so it didn't feel quite so rushed and jumpy.
  40. Peripart

Freemen On The Land / Lawful Rebellion

I would. I've seen him on the TV.
  41. Peripart

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

If that is to be the case, surely it would be fitting if it were Jo Martin?
  42. Peripart

Coincidences

Yes, the fuel tank on the Pinto was notorious for its susceptibility to damage in a rear-end shunt, but I seem to remember that a major target of Nader's writing was the rear suspension on the early Chevrolet Corvair. It had a tendency to tuck under during aggressive steering, and could cause...
  43. Peripart

Don't... ever... blink.
  44. Peripart

The Dodo Thread

I'm holding out for a mammoth burger.
  45. Peripart

The Dodo Thread

I'm sure I read that sailors who landed on Mauritius ended up eating the dodo due to lack of alternative, but that it tasted disgusting. However, the ethics of bringing extinct species back from the dead is tricky enough as it is. I definitely don't think we should bother if the first thing we...
  46. Peripart

The Tesla Thread

Not for the first time, Nikola Tesla has hit the nail on the head there. Today, there's barely a news report, on TV or radio, which doesn't contain at least some mention of AI. We're all being led to believe that we're on the brink of some amazing world of true machine intelligence, but that's...
  47. Peripart

I also would have sworn that "Blue Book" was in the show's title!
  48. Peripart

'Doritos Silent' Lets You Munch On Zoom Without Angering Coworkers

I don't think that a Dorito wrapped in duct tape would taste very nice at all.
Back