• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Peripart

Shared Fictional Universes

Firstly, a small apology. I've had a quick scan through the forums to see whether we had a thread on this, but either we don't have, or the search function still doesn't like me very much. I'm intrigued by the idea of shared fictional universes - not necessarily the big obvious ones, but where...
  2. Peripart

The Man Who Can't Face The Internet

I couldn't find a thread for exactly this sort of thing, but I thought it was an interesting topic, so I've started one. If it gains any interest, and the discussion widens, I have no problem with a kindly Mod moving or renaming it. A man named Jonathan Hirshon has make it his mission to remain...
  3. Peripart

Imposter Syndrome / Impostor Syndrome

Browsing the BBC Worldwide website, I found that there's a name for a feeling which afflicts me from time to time, and, I'm sure, many of you as well. http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20150916-feel-like-a-fraud-youre-not-alone I don't know about you lot, but I've often felt this way, that I...
  4. Peripart

World's Weirdest Events (BBC)

I've been watching this show on and off, and finding that's a pleasant way to spend an hour of a Thursday evening. It focusses (as the title suggests) on unusual creatures or natural-world events, but in a very family-friendly not-too-taxing way. Chris Packham (safe BBC naturalist, him off...
  5. Peripart

MOON (the Duncan Jones movie)

Moon While checking out the link to the trailer for "Surrogates", I also came across a trailer for Duncan Jones' "Moon", with Sam Rockwell. Trailer here Looks weird and promising, with definite shades of the second half of 2001!
  6. Peripart

Premonition - not the usual Bullocks!

Just a quick plug for a film I recently picked up on DVD in a bit of impulse buying. "Premonition" is a slightly supernatural thriller starring Sandra Bullock and, er... no-one else you've ever heard of. Bullock plays a woman in a once-happy but now fairly stale marriage, who suddenly begins...
  7. Peripart

Personal Details

Here's a question: is there any purpose of having personal details, such as age and gender, on our profiles? I used to think there was - if I post something, people's reading of that post can be justifiably coloured by knowing that it was written by a 39-year-old man. Folk may think I'm...
  8. Peripart

6 Sci-Fi paperbacks

OK, so not too many bites on my other items for sale, but how about these? I'm offering a set of 6 Sci-Fi novels from the SF Masterworks series, as follows: "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred...
  9. Peripart

X-Files Video Collection For Sale

As part of my spring-clean, I'm offering to a good home my X-Files videos. I have all of the original 12 files (except for no.3, "Colony", strangely - don't know what happened there) in excellent condition. I believe they've all been watched 2 or 3 times at most. Many of these tapes still...
  10. Peripart

Robert Rankin books for sale

I'm having a bit of a tidy-up, and I've come across a few bits and bobs that might be of some interest to fellow FTMBers. First up is a set of 3 Robert Rankin paperbacks: Armageddon, The Musical, They Came And Ate Us, and The Suburban Book Of The Dead. As you can see, they're all in excellent...
  11. Peripart

Identified Flying Object?

Here's an odd one. I worked a bit late tonight, and at about 7.50pm was driving home through New Oscott, Birmingham. For those who vaguely know the area, I was passing the bloody great Tesco superstore. Anyway, I was headed West-ish along the Chester Road, when I saw some aircraft lights...
  12. Peripart

The Conversation / Enemy of the State

I haven't a huge amount to say about The Conversation really, but I taped it off the TV recently, and it's a real slow-burner of a conspiracy thriller. Gene Hackman is great as Harry Caul, a man married to his job to the point of obsession, who is given an assignment by shady agencies to use his...
  13. Peripart

It's not libel, allegedly

This is something that "Have I Got News For You" first started, as far as I can tell. Angus Deayton used to say something borderline-libellous about some public figure and then, after a slight pause, say "allegedly". The implication was, of course, that if you were only repeating an allegation...
  14. Peripart

Sportsmen with God on their side

I enjoyed the recent Commonwealth Games (it's always nice to find an event where Brits can win medals!), but was left with one memory in particular, which left a slightly nasty taste in my mouth, although I'm not sure why, or whether it was right to feel that way. The men's 400m was won by an...
  15. Peripart

Strange cloud

Driving home the other evening near The Belfry (Warwickshire), I spotted this cloud (another photo here) off in the direction of Tamworth. Out of the corner of my eye, it appeared at first glance tornado-shaped, because the thing that drew my attention was the way it seemed to be sucked towards...
  16. Peripart

NHS to be sold off?

I've only heard noises through friends who work in the health business, but there are rumours emerging that within a couple of months, large chunks of the NHS will be offloaded by the Government to some as-yet-unnamed US corporation. This may be just Chinese whispers over something innocuous...
  17. Peripart

Dune: Your Views

Here's my dilemma. Some time back I bought a set of the six Dune novels by Frank Herbert (as opposed to the ones by Jane Austen, obviously), and I've been working my way through them. Slowly. Very slowly. In fact, if I have a choice of reading matter, I'll probably end up reading something...
  18. Peripart

Primer

Hello all : I'm looking for a bit of advice on a DVD I'm thinking of buying. I'm a fan of slightly off-the-wall movies ; recent purchases have included The Machinist and Butterfly Effect, for instance, to give you an idea of my current tastes. I've seen that "Primer" is now out on DVD...
  19. Peripart

Bill Oddie, amateur traffic cop! The lamest UL ever?

Hardly the stuff of legend, but it's urban (in the sense that it was meant to have happened in Birmingham) and it's a vaguely amusing tale, so this seems as good a place as any to share it, so here goes. My secondary school, which I attended in the 1980s, was a well-known private school in...
  20. Peripart

David Beckham Paid Off My Mortgage!

Here's an old one, which I initially thought had the ring of truth about it. Don't know why I believed it, but I did. Once. A friend of mine told me the tale that a friend of a friend of his (don't say anything, alright - just typing that makes me squirm) was looking forward to a short break...
Back