• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Schwadevivre

The Plughole In The Bottom Of The Canal

It's an old urban legend that there is a plug in the bottom of the canal and that if you pull the chain the canal will drain It seems it's not an urban legend A rather enthusiastic amateur urban historian investigates
  2. Schwadevivre

Bata Bola, Rio's Lesser-Known Parade

Long past the main Rio Carnivale was a local event, but Hollywood and tourism seemed to have ended that. But there is still a "Carnivale" for the people, the Bate-Bola (Ball Hitters)
  3. Schwadevivre

The Free-Spirited And Untamed Fox—Maybe Not Quite As Much

Foxes were domesticated by humans in the Bronze Age Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2019-02-foxes-domesticated-humans-bronze-age.html#jCp
  4. Schwadevivre

Grapes, Microwaves & Plasma

Readers may or may not be aware that about 20 years ago many kids with too much time on their hands found you could make really cool plasmas by nuking halved grapes in a microwave. Seem like a waste of time? Wrong This has turned into SCIENCE! One of those kids was physicist, Aaron Slepkov...
  5. Schwadevivre

Pulp Covers!

There seems to be no specific thread for Pulp covers, perhaps this will help Sourced from Pulp Covers website
  6. Schwadevivre

How Much Is A Wife Worth?

via "Atlas Obscura" An interesting article
  7. Schwadevivre

The Rosary Miracle At Hiroshima

According to the legend, 8 Jesuit missionaries survived the Hiroshima blast unscathed despite being within half a mile of ground zero in an area where no-one else survived. They attributed this to their faithful living of the message of Fatima and their telling of the Rosary. This is one I had...
  8. Schwadevivre

Mountain Lion: 0; Unarmed Runner: 1

A mountain lion was killed by the runner it attacked An unidentified man who was running on Horsetooth Mountain Open Space’s West Ridge Trail near Fort Collins, Colorado had a nasty encounter on with a juvenile cougar on Monday, which ended with the runner wounded and the animal strangled to...
  9. Schwadevivre

Sitting On Offence

This is too serious for chat and not News enough for Mainstream News It Shows up in the Reddit Thread Women of Reddit, when did you first notice that men were looking at you in a sexual way? How old were you and how did it make you feel? I was already aware that harassment was pretty rampant...
  10. Schwadevivre

FOOF and Azidoazide Azide

2 very funny posts from the In the Pipeline Blog by Derek Lowe in his category Things I won't work with
  11. Schwadevivre

Send your kid to bible camp and have them cleansed

This is what happens when fanatics are allowed to run a faith via "The Mirror" What scared me more was the attitude of the local school board and the school psychologist.
  12. Schwadevivre

Germanwings: Now the Conspiracy Theorists Have Jumped In

via Conspiracy theorists Say The Darndest Things GERMANWINGS PILOT, ANDREAS LUBITZ EXPOSED AS A JEWISH MOSSAD KAMIKAZE AGENT Since the crash occurred, a lot of people have come out and claimed that Andreas Lubitz was a Muslim or a Muslim-convert. This is completely false, Mr. “Lubitz” was...
  13. Schwadevivre

Asteroid Manipulation: Capture; Re-Use As Space Platform, etc.

Via IBTimes (warning autoplay ad and mouseover ad) Personally I think this is NASA's latest attempt to troll conspiracy theorists
  14. Schwadevivre

Force Fields?? the latest development

Ok it's from the Daily Express but still ... A more measured report comes from Wired
  15. Schwadevivre

"How Bush Won the War in Iraq - Really" by Greg Palast

Link to original article Like many people I assumed that the Iraq war was primarily about putting Iraqi oil production into the hands of US producers as an assured supply of oil with a side order of Shrub showing Daddy how a real 'Merkin ends a war. This article seems to show I was wrong about...
  16. Schwadevivre

Pass the popcorn

Where did maize come from? The answer appears to be a plant called Teosinte (Tay-o-sintay) but this crop appears to be near impossible to process, unless you pop the kernels. From HHMI Biointeractive
  17. Schwadevivre

Menopause: An Interesting Article on Skepchick

This is a subject in which (because I am male) I have had only a peripheral awareness that there is an evolutionary problem.
  18. Schwadevivre

UFO-Shaped Disc From Russian Mine

submitted with minimal skeptical snark From English-Russia a source of well know veracity
  19. Schwadevivre

Folding silicon to make 3D structures

From BBC Science The images on the BBC page are quite spectacular There is also a report in Science 9 January edition - but it is behind a paywall
  20. Schwadevivre

Exceptional Hallstadt tomb excavated in France

via Past Horizons and (in French) INRAP. more pictures are on the second link, just click the small image on the right. INRAP has been uncovering this large complex since October last year and it includes a spectacular bronze cauldron with an attic black figure jug within it. The site is Near...
  21. Schwadevivre

Pinky and the Brain; comedy .... or prophecy?

Via AAAS Science page BTW which one was the genius?
  22. Schwadevivre

Olivia Olkowski - shaman

via Vice /snip Of course she has some good advice to energise women
  23. Schwadevivre

A Historical Thesaurus of English

If someone called you bagpudding or bulch would you be happy? You might be if you checked the Historical Thesaurus of English You might also want to find out what your bos means when he says that he wants you to do something as yerne or when he calls you ungleawnes
  24. Schwadevivre

Extremist Jewish Sects

There does not appear to be a thread for this type of subject and like (all?) other faiths the Jewish faith has its complement of nutters. Please note I will ask for the thread to be locked if it attracts anti-Semites to FTMB First story, via Haaretz (warning, autoplay adverts) hat-tip to...
  25. Schwadevivre

David J Stewart, Fundamentalist Conspiracy Theorist

Quotes sourced from Fundies Say The Darndest Things child blogs where you will find links to the originals because I will not link to Mr Stewart's site directly. From his post about the film "Minions" from the "Despicable Me" series. Link HERE And, of course anything that is "fun" is suspect...
  26. Schwadevivre

Biggest Rodent 'Fought With Teeth Like Tusks'

Via the BBC The beast, Josephoartigasia monesi, was found in Uruguay and was about 3 meters long. There is a Wiki page on the beast here.
  27. Schwadevivre

Is Christian Science Harmful?

Via TMZ /snip Link to original article at TMz Original news story about his illness at TMZ Now I know he was the worst Batman but his Doc Holliday was wonderful.
  28. Schwadevivre

Skeleton sacks baffle India police

Via BBC News India Makes you wonder ...
  29. Schwadevivre

Israeli's 'Magic' Yarmulke Made To Protect Jews From Attacks

Via The Friendly Atheist and Yahoo News Original story by Audrey Horowitz of AP Obviously there is a lot of perceived danger in being a Jew in certain environments Interestingly Terry Firma at Friendly atheist adds this note from Antonio Hernández‘ An Around-the-World History of the Skullcap...
  30. Schwadevivre

Capital Punishment

Some information from the Death Penalty Information Center in the USA Warning! the contents of the page linked above may be disturbing Why is the USA or any country continuing with the ridiculous imposture that is capital punishment? And if any country feels unable to abandon it why is there...
  31. Schwadevivre

Papal Vulnerability To Irony, Murphy's Law, Etc.

The visit was cut short by bad weather was to pay respect to the survivors and the dead of Typhoon Haiyan via the BBC
  32. Schwadevivre

Did Gitmo "Suicides" Cover Up Murder?

From AlterNet A Sergeant Joseph Hickman has published a book questioning the official version of events and raising the possible involvement of the CIA black site known as Camp No. The idea that these were suicides had already been questioned in an appearance in 2010 on Democracy Now by Scott...
  33. Schwadevivre

Linguistic Dexterity: Bilingualism; Multilingualism; Language Learning

Which doe raise the question about whether all children should be brought up bilingual. It would also be interesting to see if the hearing children of deaf parents show similar flexibility.
  34. Schwadevivre

A clickbait title but an interesting article - Nuns Gone Bad: A Lurid Tale of a Lesbian Nun Sex Gang

via Alternet Although there were some practices that might, loosely, be called lesbian the real scandals were normal (heterosexual) interactions and the extreme veneration of the founder of the Order of Sant’Ambrogio
  35. Schwadevivre

Throat Singing

For those who have heard it it is quite remarkable; on the video below the sing van produce overtones including a flute like whistle (about 1:35) In a recent item from Siberian Times research seems to have found that the vocal chords of the Tuva peoples are differently formed
  36. Schwadevivre

Kalachi: Kazakh Village Plagued by Mystery Sleeping Illness

Via the BBC; News from Elsewhere blog as usual some people have suggested "Mass Psychosis" (read hysteria) as a possible cause.
  37. Schwadevivre

Geocentrics are pretty eccentric

From an original post on Americans United for a Separation of Church and State The Principle, a film which attempts to show that our current view of the Universe as being completely wrong has managed a (limited) theatrical release. From the accompanying press release The leader of this...
  38. Schwadevivre

St Lucius's Skull Confusion

Researchers try to answer mystery of saintly skull Link is dead. See later post for additional info. The researchers though the skull might have been mixed up with that of King Sigurd Jorsalfarers but ...
  39. Schwadevivre

The World’s Largest Clairvoyance Experiment Has Begun

But you already knew this Via Vice
  40. Schwadevivre

"My Husband's not Gay

This is a new reality show from TLC featuring Mormon men who identify as gay but have married women anyway via The Raw Story (warning mouse over add in body text)
Back