• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. bakelite brain

Pirate & Unusual Radio Signals

Here's the one I prepared earlier...
  2. bakelite brain

Very interesting thought about EVP and the demise of AM broadcasting. Unrelated, but I made some FM meteor-scatter recordings on the OIRT band some years ago as an example of how they could be misinterpreted as EVPs by the technically over-enthusiastic. Only to be rewarded by a very odd voice...
  3. bakelite brain

Well, well. A fellow traveller! Those DAC90s are a fire risk - despite being stuffed full of asbestos! The DAC90A's are a rather nice and much safer bet, despite there being nothing much to hear on them - or any other LW/MW radios - by the end of the year, unless you know all about pantry...
  4. bakelite brain

But if you want to listen on crackly old radios, and you're in SE England, you can hear it on 648 kHz. From the old BBC transmitter site at Orford Ness! How things change...
  5. bakelite brain

Calling Norfolk Forteans

The Norfolk Folklore Society is no doubt a very noteworthy organization, but doesn't sound as if it will encompass the wide remit of Weird Norfolk.
  6. bakelite brain

Ashtar Command (TV Intrusion: November 1977)

Research done by Tommie Trelawny revealed the hoaxer/voice of Vrillion that inturrupted ITV news on 26 November 1977 was the late Bob Tomalski.
  7. bakelite brain

'Electricity Reduction' Devices: Do They Work?

They are all devices sold to genuinely worried people, but they are a con. Anyone with a bit of electrical engineering knowledge knows they are a con, but unfortunately that's very few people.
  8. bakelite brain

The 'Lost TV Signal' (TX Station KLEE ID 'Received' In UK; 1953)

Thanks - that's the info I need.
  9. bakelite brain

The 'Lost TV Signal' (TX Station KLEE ID 'Received' In UK; 1953)

Can anyone remember if FT ever published a story about a 'lost TV signal' hoax? The story goes that a programme (or test card) from a long-closed TV station re-appeared years later. Thanks.
  10. bakelite brain

Earth Lights & Ufology

There's a very interesting examination of earth lights by Professor Simon with an extensive interview with Paul Devereux here:
  11. bakelite brain

Remote Viewers / Psychics: Any Visions Of Ukraine Outcomes?

Yes, but remote viewers do sometimes claim to be able to see into the future too. (Maybe I am badly mistaken!) But OK, if I'm wrong, let's open the request up to any clairvoyants, prophets, those giften with recognisance, etc.
  12. bakelite brain

Remote Viewers / Psychics: Any Visions Of Ukraine Outcomes?

It's in the heading really. I've been looking for a collection of how remote viewers might have seen the Ukraine war conclude, but not really found anything. There are various possible outcomes suggested by military and political observers, but I'd be interested to read the opinions of remote...
  13. bakelite brain

Moon Landing: Hoaxed?

A fact that all Apollo deniers are oblivious to is that hundreds of amateur radio enthusiasts across the world listened to the unencrypted analogue VHF/UHF transmissions from the Apollo craft. (No doubt some transmissions were encrypted, but that's beside the point.) Most of their equipment was...
  14. bakelite brain

Phantom Sounds & Tinnitus - A Link?

Interesting thread. I have recently developed mild tinnitus in my right ear and measured it at around 72 Hz in my workshop. Sometimes I notice it more, then realise it's a distant lorry or plane which my tinnitus seems to amplify if the real noise frequency is about 72Hz. Years ago I had some...
  15. bakelite brain

Ashtar Command (TV Intrusion: November 1977)

The TV interruption really happened on the date stated, but the video is an obvious hoax made about three years later. 1) The voice at the beginning is Andrew Gardener reading the national news. The presenter in shot is Cliff Mitchelmore presenting local news. 2) The event happened on a...
  16. bakelite brain

Lay Down A Ley Line!

Can anyone remember a TV programme about 20-odd years ago about standing stones, ley lines etc, where they created a temporary ley line detectable by dowsers? I think it remained for about a week. They used a box... If it was a genuine experiment surely it's documented somewhere, but I can't...
  17. bakelite brain

‘Very Big Flaming Object’ Spotted Spiralling Through Sky For 20 Minutes

Yes. These are contrails from aircraft folks. Particular atmospheric conditions with a setting (or rising) sun occasionally create these unusual sights.
  18. bakelite brain

Made-Up Spirit

Found it: The Philip Experiment. Described in Wikipedia here and an article here.
  19. bakelite brain

Made-Up Spirit

Can anyone remember the name of the spirit entity that was fabricated as an experiment in either seances or ouija board sessions? I think this made-up entity started to appear regularly without the attendees realising it was invented. I've heard it (him) mentioned a couple of times on podcasts...
  20. bakelite brain

Cannock Chase

I don't think the Skin Walker Ranch is open to the public, but I wonder if the apparitions there keep up with modern trends...?
  21. bakelite brain

Cannock Chase

Prolific paranormal writer Nick Redfern is local to the area. He's someone who has written extensively about it. Also found this: https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2018/01/little-green-men-in-the-cannock-chase-woods/ And this short piece - a little bit down the page...
  22. bakelite brain

Cannock Chase

Yes, there are lots of videos showing the cycling. I see there is now Pay and Display parking, signposted trails, shelters... Just the luxury of a gravel car park there when I was a kid! Do they have a paranormal gift shop yet? A ghost tour? Come and spot a werewolf from our air-conditioned...
  23. bakelite brain

Cannock Chase

I've been watching some Youtube videos about Cannock Chase - a mostly wooded area in Staffordshire, UK. When I was in infant school in the mid 1960s we lived in the adjacent village of Little Haywood. I have no recollection of weird stories from so long ago about The Chase. Maybe there weren't...
  24. bakelite brain

Location-Specific UK Phenomena

How about a thread where we list, describe and discuss repeatedly occurring strange phenomena around the UK? For example, a few of the well known ones are: Bonnybridge for UFOs The West Country for the large number of crop circles East Anglia for Black Shuck The Surrey Puma The Bristol Hum...
  25. bakelite brain

Electronic Influences By Ghosts Perhaps

True. So you must measure using different equipment. There are lots and lots of different ways of doing it.
  26. bakelite brain

Electronic Influences By Ghosts Perhaps

The thread name got me thinking. Those of us who work in radio and electronics don't really have any clear evidence of 'ghostly influences' - unless someone can show me otherwise. Decades ago I thought research into EVP and transcommunication would reveal something useful. But it never did. New...
  27. bakelite brain

Ley Lines

Thanks Coal. You just asked the kind of questions I'd have asked! Not sure torsion waves are a thing are they? If we can't detect them how does anyone know they exist. EM radiation (even to 30dB below the background noise) can be detected. Is the relevant to ley lines? If so surely it would...
  28. bakelite brain

Demonstrations Of Spirit-Related Apparatus (Georgek)

A circuit diagram would be very interesting. Please post it, even if it's just a photographed sketch.
  29. bakelite brain

Dowsing

Indeed, dowsing has been used for locating many things from minerals to people - or so it is reported. Uri Geller told me (it's not big to name drop, Mick Jagger told me that!) that he made much of his money by map dowsing for minerals. Maybe he did make money that way, maybe he didn't. I'm...
  30. bakelite brain

Dowsing

I spoke to a hydrologist many years ago about dowsing. In his professional opinion it was bollox. He said if you dig a hole almost anywhere in the UK you will find water, at most just a few tens of feet down. Some common sense of how the land lies helps. For example I expect it's easier to find...
  31. bakelite brain

Ley Lines

Thank you! Indeed '"energy" is an over-used word by in the psychic field of research by those who don't realise that throwing the word around like they know what it means does not lend credibility to what they are trying to say. "Energy" is closely followed by "vibration" and "frequency" - both...
  32. bakelite brain

Cloudy Star/Planet?

I doubt it was anything unusual, just as you say a star or planet. It's not clear from your description, but I'm guessing you saw it either through cloud, or through a gap in the clouds. Either way any astronomical objects are visible across most of the earth. Anything unusual will be noted and...
  33. bakelite brain

Ley Lines

If we assume leylines exist (and where's the evidence?) how wide are they? A few tens of yards makes all the difference. Many leylines look quite impressive on an OS map, with four, five, six or more appropriate markers all seemingly along the pencil line. Until you examine the 'alignment' on...
  34. bakelite brain

Yellow/Singed Vegetation

Thanks for the suggestion. That crossed my mind and is worth considering, but it was described as having a well-defined edge and the power lines were well above any crop. The plants recovered too.
  35. bakelite brain

Yellow/Singed Vegetation

I heard a very curios tail recently and would really like to know if anyone can confirm similar stories. Two good friends of mine (I'll call them Jack and his wife) lay in bed one night and heard an unusual whistling-tinckling sound coming from outside. Jack got out of bed and saw rectangular...
  36. bakelite brain

Ley Lines

Does anyone know of a detailed British ley line map? Someone I know says he's seen one which shows a ley line passes through his property and 'explains' some strange goings on locally. I've had a bit of a Google but not found anything with much detail. Thanks. BB
  37. bakelite brain

TV Licensing: The Stated Facts, In Black-And-White

Thank you sir! Don't get me started on the TV licencing goons! (Oh, too late...) I ignore all their threatening letters. One chap did come but I didn't let him in. So he said out loud "access denied" as he typed into his tablet thing. Unless they have a warrant, you are not obliged to let them...
  38. bakelite brain

TV Licensing: The Stated Facts, In Black-And-White

As a bit of an vintage technology enthusiast, I have rebuilt old radios and TVs. Here's my working Bush TV22 - made in 1952. For crazies like me there's a box of tricks that converts any TV standard into any other. I can put video from a set-top box, DVD player, etc. and it converts it to a VHF...
  39. bakelite brain

British Bigfoot?

I heard a podcast somewhere (so it must be true!) which in part said that the son of one of the Patterson 'crew' fessed-up to overhearing a conversation about the making or hiring of a gorilla suit for the film, and that it was widely known that the whole thing was a hoax, but it just grew and...
  40. bakelite brain

The Cumberland Spaceman

Yes, it was an interesting case, but it's been satisfactorily explained in this thread some pages back. Post 289 to start you off...
  41. bakelite brain

Ley Lines

The use of landmarks and other sites as guides for trading or pilgrimage routes may well be prehistoric, but I suspect you're right about the other woo now associated with them which started relatively recently.
  42. bakelite brain

Ley Lines

They did supposedly detect it for a while, that's the point. Whatever a ley line is, the field detectable by dowsers can be laid down artificially. But then perhaps you can explain what a ley line consists of - assuming they are nothing more than alignments of sites and not also 'energy' lines.
  43. bakelite brain

Ley Lines

Why would they what? I guess the premise was that whatever a ley line is, it can be detected by dowsers and this man-made one fades away. Of course one has to assume the whole thing was not faked,..
  44. bakelite brain

Ley Lines

I've always found the concept of ley lines fascinating. In the 1970s a friend and I got an OS map of the Isle on Mann and drew up dozens of sites in lines of more than four. IoM was good as it has not been greatly developed. Although I did wonder that if we'd chosen sweet shops, post offices...
  45. bakelite brain

Ley Lines

Mmm. Some interesting stuff about magnetism, although neither diamagnetism nor paramagnetism are 'new categories of magnetism' as described in the inserted video. He's also someone who throws 'frequency' about without understanding the concept. I stopped watching when he just made up nonsense...
  46. bakelite brain

Earth's Magnetic Pole Reversals / 'Flips'

No magnetic flip soon. It's a story that appears in non-technical press from time to time when they're short of copy. These sorts of articles get written by general journos, not scientifically trained ones, they only latch onto the gee-whiz elements without understanding any of it. Believe me -...
  47. bakelite brain

FT363

I must correct one misconception of Norfolk life; cannibalism has been almost completely outlawed, at least around my part of Fakenham. But I believe there was one isolated case in Melton Constable just before Christmas. Can anyone throw any light on that one? (Are there an unusually large...
  48. bakelite brain

Hard Sun

I'm, about to watch episode four. So far it seems the end-of-the-world scenario is just a backdrop for a police/political thriller. I'm looking forward to seeing how society reacts when we really do understand what will happen. That will be interesting, but looking at the countdown clock in the...
  49. bakelite brain

The Cumberland Spaceman

For those new to this mystery, it's emplaned in post 289 on page 10 of this thread. Nothing sinister, just interesting. Also explained in this video:
Back