• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. allicorn

Weird Buildings (Odd Forms / Features; Novelty Architecture)

A little thread on Twitter I found rather fun. Guy gets lost in a conference center. Lots of pictures of endless stairwells, empty corridors, clunky old elevators. Fairly mundane events I'm sure but I can imagine the atmosphere of the experience being pretty weird. Apparently the fella went on a...
  2. allicorn

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

It's working great! Neverending thanks to all involved for the colossal effort to save the unique treasure that is was the FTMB. Go Team Fort!
  3. allicorn

Old Lady Found Dead Covered In Green Slime

Also "forums" in some way superseded Usenet and Mailing Lists, both of which were generally accessed via an email or email-like interface, leading to written forms that were similar to email. Oldbies from those lost worlds also tend to sign their forum posts. Alli
  4. allicorn

The Transdimensional Gas Station

Ghostly horsemen or carriages tend to make me lean more towards stone tape explanations for ghosts. Sure, folks fall off horses and sometimes die. And sure, sometimes horses have an accident that doesn't end well for them either. But were a ghost purely a revenant spirit I'd expect to hear of...
  5. allicorn

Disturbing Cartooons

Always nice to see it referenced. Wonderful animation but, hoo boy, so harsh at times.
  6. allicorn

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

TBH I think this one picture diffuses whatever "Mandela Effect" disputes there are about the color scheme of that van since this single picture shows both the gray-red-black variant and the black-red-only variant (labelled "J" in the pic). To my mind, it was black with a red flash and no...
  7. allicorn

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Very amusing post on the YORF rocketry forum about the flat earth rocket and other similar silliness from history: http://oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=16970
  8. allicorn

Worst Movie EVER?

I'd say Hasselhoff turns in what could be the least hammy performance in the whole ludicrous affair. The movie starred in one of the recent (Season 11) Mystery Science Theatre 3000 shows; which is on Netflix, I believe.
  9. allicorn

Worst Movie EVER?

Well Starcrash, mentioned various times across the board previously but not apparently in this thread, deserves a name-check, surely? Mrs Allicorn showed it to me a few years ago, recounting a tragicomic childhood memory of a cheapskate relative - expected to be providing a shiny new Star...
  10. allicorn

Another Tale Of Vanishing Objects

Makes one wonder whether many of the various doodads that have vanished and then returned - noted throughout this thread - have actually been the same doodad or some curious duplicate. Your unclaimed extra tools, would you characterise them as seeming identical to the original, or just simlar...
  11. allicorn

The Synaesthesia Thread

Article in the Guardian suggesting that many people might experience synaesthesia than expected, particularly at to a fairly subtle degree. Maybe laser bolts in space movies always go "pew pew!" because that tight little whizzing sound maps naturally, synaesthetically, for many folks to the...
  12. allicorn

Are We Losing the Plot?

Yeah that's a good point. Refusing to accept the reality we perceive is maybe a fairly common practice even when that reality is entirely mundane.
  13. allicorn

Are We Losing the Plot?

It's an idea that I recall in the occult writings of Peter Carroll. It went something like: 'magickal' things seem so strange that to genuinely acknowledge them could be injurious to the mind, so the mind defends itself by tending towards dismissiveness, rationalizing, forgetfulness, etc. It...
  14. allicorn

New paranormal tech: The Trisaksri Ghost Repellent Machine

I appreciate the little row of glowy LEDs though, but yep, really, this could've benefited from some black-and-yellow warning stripes, some conspicuously huge-looking rivets maybe and maybe a nice mystical-esque shape like a pyramid or dodecahedron... rather than just a boring box.
  15. allicorn

Music For The End Of The World

Came here to post Godspeed You! Black Emperor but they've already made an appearance, so instead: "Built Then Burn (Hurrah! Hurrah!)" - A Silver Mount Zion
  16. allicorn

Floating Islands (Tussocks; Floatons; Suds)

Unfortunately but inevitably that must increase skepticism of anything mysterious that they report on. The circulation of an interesting-sounding tale of a floating island clearly provides some room for advancing their marketing efforts. That said, it sounds intriguing, the map picture looks...
  17. allicorn

Coincidences

A little article on Slate.com from the author of a book on coincidences. The article recounts a handful of anecdotes that didn't make it into the book itself and muses about the numbers involved in calculating the actual odds of the incidents.
  18. allicorn

Hoho, I wish! If I recall, J reviewed the camera footage, though I didn't look at it myself. Sadly, no hand - ghostly or otherwise - was observed making off with the keys. I'm off to visit J next weekend and will remind her of the incident. I believe she still has the little penguin-shaped key...
  19. allicorn

Personally I feel that's an insightful view of how we often experience this kind of phenomena, and perhaps the natural necessity of why we experience, and so often explain these events in that kinda "maybe we just missed it!" way. It can be extremely hard to accept that things can just go...
  20. allicorn

Great incident report Moonglum! I tend to be quite accepting of these types of anecdotes having experienced numerous similar incidents myself. I have no idea what the process is, where a thing vanishes and then (often, in my experience) reappears later. I've never asked for an item to be...
  21. allicorn

'This Man': (Odd Website About Dreaming: Viral Marketing / Hoax?)

Very nice little follow-up from Vice today now they realise they were hoaxed:
  22. allicorn

Ah such is life. I'd assumed it was probably that common form of naturally emergent nonsense that wells up from the depths of the web - rather than a wilful hoax. Still, once a few websites attest to the validity of some made-up waffle, it can readily become endlessly circulating UL material anyway.
  23. allicorn

Some terrific modern weirdness reported upon by Vice.com which I found rather fascinating: Source: http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/have-you-ever-dreamed-of-this-man-111
  24. allicorn

Do You Recall? Half-Remembered British Television Shows [60s, 70s & 80s]

Thanks so much min_bannister and MrRING for putting me onto The Moon Stallion. Watched it on YouTube and - amazingly - it had a DVD release too which is now on the way. A hazy hodgepodge of mythologies all wired up to chalk hill figures on the downs and an immortal, mystical horse: this is a...
  25. allicorn

Large Objects/Structures And A Feeling Of Dread

My mother will be pleased to hear she's not the only one. She's often drawn incredulous responses from the rest of the family on announcing her discomfort upon simply seeing a ship (also a large bridges over water, related structures). Pylons, bridges and other massive articles of...
  26. allicorn

Strange Happenings in Our House

Oo crikey, I think I've just realised I'm dead and haunting your house. Edwardian end terrace, not well maintained, bodged old DIY here and there, phone cable left constantly unplugged... yep... I'm definitely your ghost. :-D Seriously though, how about leaving a laptop with a webcam pointing...
  27. allicorn

Mysterious 60m Diameter Disc Discovered On Baltic Seabed

It's definitely the kind of detail you throw in there if you're trying to suggest flying saucers. True. Alli
  28. allicorn

Mysterious 60m Diameter Disc Discovered On Baltic Seabed

Except right there at the top of the article it says: I'm all for scepticism. This whole story seems dubious and unlikely to turn into anything provably fantastical. But lets not just fabricate our own reasons to be dismissive. There's every chance that good reasons to point and laugh will...
  29. allicorn

Hard Evidence

I'm sure you know the history of UK alien big cat reports in the preceding 40 years or so. There must've been a lot of people that said just the same thing and yet there now there's terrific footage, footprints, police warnings about panthers on the prowl, wildlife and a general feeling that...
  30. allicorn

Mystery Noises - Other Than Animals (General; Compendium)

I do find it fascinating but it's one of those phenomena where - obviously - making a hoax is just so easy that any fool with a cell phone and laptop can do it. So, I think the barrier to acceptability for reports needs to be pretty high. Some individual's YouTube clip is just not trustworthy...
  31. allicorn

Mystery Noises - Other Than Animals (General; Compendium)

News article from CTV Saskatoon featuring local random talking heads, the mayor, a radio station claiming dozens of individuals reporting in about the strange noises plus some brief clips and an apparent scientific view of the phenomena's origin. http://saskatoon.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca ...
  32. allicorn

Angel of The Thames

Zoom it right up in PSP/PSD and note how incredibly similar the white blob is to the effect you can acheive in about 5 seconds flat by spraying a rough white angel shape and applying a motion-blur filter at 45 degree. Definitely looks dodgy to me. Every piece of structure in the blob area...
  33. allicorn

The Time Cube

It's my belief, that there is a correlation of sorts between the presentation of a given webpage and the level of lunacy of the page's author. Timecube is a great (and extreme) example of this correlation, featuring just about all the common elements. A large number of nut-job's websites, in...
  34. allicorn

Do Animals Avoid Former Nazi Death Camps?

Given that the absence of birds has been observed, I veer towards chemical residue related explanations, whether that be the original poisons, effect of enormous amounts of human remains or quicklime etc. If birds were somehow sensitive to places where there was a great deal of death, then...
  35. allicorn

When should we leave for Alpha Centauri?

I think that one of the, supposedly, most promising new drive technologies that could help us reach interstellar distances is the "Ion Drive". Tested in 2000 on NASA's "Deep Space 1" probe. http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/s ... 00816.html It accellerates very very slowly, but the...
  36. allicorn

Dragons: Evidence They Existed

The tiny village of Low Ham in the so-called Athelney Fens on the Somerset Levels is quite near me. I once went out to the tumble-down old church out there to see a very long, old spear hanging on the wall. The spear is supposedly the weapon used to slay the Dragon Of Aller by a local knight...
Back