• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. merricat

West Country Tales & Other Folk Horror Gems

Anyone seen the new folk horror film Enys Men? I absolutely loved this film, although it attracted some confused and disgruntled reviews. It is rather slow and back and forth, but then I do prefer that kind of thing. Also recommend 'Superterranean', a fantastic film by Ian Gordon, available to...
  2. merricat

Jason Gardner: Primal Dreams (photog)

Just chanced upon this in the Guardian culture section, thought the images might intrigue, they are certainly, pleasantly odd. Photographer Jason Gardner travelled for more than 15 years documenting carnival traditions across the world, capturing the costumes and traditions that link...
  3. merricat

Anyone Know Where I Can Get Hold Of This Play For Today?

Wanted to update to let people know that I have finally located a video online of Z for Zacharia from 1984. I hope the link works. https://archive.org/details/z-for-zachariah-1984 EDIT: Made an error in my edit, ignore me!
  4. merricat

Expect The Worst

Now that is very Charlie Brown!
  5. merricat

Expect The Worst

This also reminds me of OCD, although I am no expert! My family know someone with similar concerns about domestic intrusion who nails his windows shut. This is characterised by repetitive checking, even the knobs on an old cooker that isn't used anymore. Saying that, he has a good lifestyle and...
  6. merricat

The Highfields Gnomes (1921)

I am reminded of something from a long time ago on here about children in a local park at twilight seeing gnomes driving cars? The one where someone claimed to have taken a photo of a gnome creature in a forest, kept promising to share the photo but it never materialised... I love this topic...
  7. merricat

Birds Aren't Real

I have only just discovered this today, I think it's fabulous! The more disturbing, repetitive CT's irritate me but this one is quite charming and hilarious. I love the idea of birds with batteries, that the pandemic was created to distract us from noticing the batteries being replaced. This is...
  8. merricat

Expect The Worst

A great idea for a tshirt.
  9. merricat

Expect The Worst

This is sort of how I feel about it, and have often found that many of the most unpleasant eventualities couldn't have been prepared for much at all (excepting issues such as Paul_Exeter's boiler insurance example above). I have also dabbled with avoidance, which can result in it's own mounting...
  10. merricat

Expect The Worst

That does sound challenging, I wonder if him becoming aware of those patterns as he grows older could mitigate the effect?
  11. merricat

Local & Dialect Words

I've noticed women of all ages almost never say 'a'reet' in passing one another, it is more like a quick 'hi' and a smile. The eyes aren't supposed to meet for more than a fraction of a second. Men over a certain age tend to do the 'reet?' to each other, with a similarly quick glance in the...
  12. merricat

Expect The Worst

That does sound like a healthy philosophy to live by. I wonder if the problem stems from placing too much focus on the prepare for the worst part, which could easily slip into superstition or obsession? The opposite might be blind positivity, going with the flow, placing too much faith in...
  13. merricat

Expect The Worst

It is surprising how many people I have met who live by this creed. It seems to function as a peculiar example of 'negative faith' which may serve to protect (or prepare) the believer from all manner of eventual or potential disasters and ill luck. I have a friend who once told me that she...
  14. merricat

The Highfields Gnomes (1921)

This is he kind of forteana I am perpetually drawn to. It's such a pity there are so few details. I would also like to know more about the 'child throwing' poltergeist.
  15. merricat

West Country Tales & Other Folk Horror Gems

A couple of recent additions to my weird, folk horror playlist - quite lovely, short animations, very much my cup of tea. Hope some of you enjoy them!
  16. merricat

When The Lights Went Out

He often did look like he'd had a nice perm and set :D
  17. merricat

Eye Contact

'Hearing problems.....wax and wane'..:D
  18. merricat

The QAnon Conspiracy Phenomenon

I have often thought that those who are so eager to search for and interpret almost anything as 'potentially pedo' related do seem to be a little too involved, invested in the minutiae.... What must it feel like to live your daily life with your attention trained this close to the gutter? I...
  19. merricat

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

i am always on the verge of internet extinction but cant pull it off.
  20. merricat

When The Lights Went Out

The boy with the melon reminds me of a young Graham Linehan.
  21. merricat

When The Lights Went Out

They were doing well if they could sit there mindlessly chawing through a full melon! I haven't been able to find melon fingers in tesco since last year:( Now, if I was going to read into this image as an art historian, I would imagine they were imitating the idle rich.
  22. merricat

When The Lights Went Out

mice farting in the garden :chuckle:
  23. merricat

What Are The Te Lapa Lights That Ancient Polynesians Used To Navigate The Oceans?

Something that definitely deserves closer inspection. I quite love the idea of bioluminescent navigation.
  24. merricat

Pointless CCTV Images

Looks like Shaun Ryder out and about again. And....there's a place called Spen?
  25. merricat

When The Lights Went Out

Just watched the film from 2012, no idea how I'd missed that one, but usually shy away from contemporary stock horror, much to my own detriment sometimes. But I loved this, from the wonderfully accurate setting in 1974 Yorkshire to the amazing cast. Has anyone else seen this, and what are your...
  26. merricat

Buzzfeed: 14 Former Skeptics Who Turned Into Paranormal Believers After A Freaky Experience

Some touch lamps are touchy though. There’s a couple here that have a mind of their own.…or…
  27. merricat

Buzzfeed: 14 Former Skeptics Who Turned Into Paranormal Believers After A Freaky Experience

It’s also interesting how many people have experienced such things yet still double down rejecting/dismissing the reality of them. If we are alone, and often sometimes even in company, the terror of witnessing something inexplicable might be easier to assign to a brain glitch or imagination...
  28. merricat

Are We Really Fatter Nowadays?

‘Shreds’ is the word :chuckle:
  29. merricat

Creepy Insomnia

Could you possibly recommend a good 14c history ebook for me please, it sounds like my cup of tea!??
  30. merricat

mumsnet is a bit of a mess though. With the potential to create 10,000,000 usernames I strongly doubt most of what people post on there. It’s such an incendiary site, I’ve witnessed women being torn to shreds for having a low BMI. I’ve always referred to it as a small island of intolerance and...
  31. merricat

The 15-Minute City Conspiracy

Would love to see how they’d plan to promote this here in the lake district. Where a continuous battle between councils and corporate rages on in an effort to curtail the effects of pollution and available space. Many of these small towns are too twisty and narrow to house so many vehicles, and...
  32. merricat

People Who Marry Ghosts In China

So sad that this is the result of societal/cultural pressure, which categorises unmarried men and women as bringing shame on their families. A neat little way to get around it, without having to question or criticise the culture. Strange stuff!
  33. merricat

The Holiday

Also, since so many of us claim not to have experienced a holiday in years, who were these crazed, impassioned numpties desperate to snag all of the overpriced rural cottages during the pandemic, slap £3m on a grotty caravan and who were also happy to join in the bumper to bumper stress-jamboree...
  34. merricat

The Holiday

I've seen this line a lot around here, what does it mean or refer to? It's not a Cromer thing is it? (if you don't mind me asking) :)
  35. merricat

The Holiday

Have known a few people who used to consider my entire life a holiday because I was self employed: "But you can work when you want and choose when to get up!" I often used to wonder if they thought money just dropped out of the sky for me, forcing it's way into my bank account then paying all my...
  36. merricat

The Holiday

@Spookdaddy It's what happens when no one shares their love hearts with you :p Welcome packs are often pretty standard around here, a few packs of biscuits, sachets of tea/coffee and a bottle of Prosecco. God help those of us (which is likely most of us) who'd prefer a bottle of Grahams port...
  37. merricat

The Holiday

Well dearie me!
  38. merricat

As I told the Daily Mirror, I keep my trim figure by eating melon fingers and chia seeds, and sauntering around my quaint little garden in the Cotswolds reading poetry aloud.
  39. merricat

The Holiday

Of course you must have your holiday!:) Wanting one is the only real reason to take one. I am intrigued by how it all works though, how marketing has such a monumental influence on vacation trends - Cashing in on our desire to escape from the grind, our need for rest, our hopes and dreams. Many...
  40. merricat

Poundbury

There are a few new build estates in south Lancs/Greater Manchester like this - entirely cut off and car dependent. No thought whatsoever regarding public transport, Dr's surgeries, schools, etc. I'm not a fan of this kind of thing and see them becoming the rejects/problem areas of the future...
  41. merricat

The Holiday

You can catch a nasty bug at home, tho. I like the idea of travel, immersion in other cultures, enlarging one's world view, witnessing the wonders of our natural world, but I haven't done much mooching about outside of the UK (apart from France and Italy). I suppose you could say I don't have a...
  42. merricat

Simulacra

Please could someone shrink these? Taken in a weird old property in the beams and doors - the first reminds me of a man or owl. The second a Cambrian sea creature (with eye).
  43. merricat

The Nicola Bulley Disappearance (St Michael's On Wyre, Lancashire)

As far as I'm aware, the tabloids choose which missing persons stories to follow via their physical attributes. So a female blonde toddler is tops, a blonde, pretty female teen comes second, a blonde, pretty woman comes third, then attractive kids/women, then a young boy. After that you have...
  44. merricat

The Holiday

My booking email confirmation: Dear Louisa, Thanks for booking with xxxxx the owner of xxxxx is looking forward to welcoming you. This email is important, please save it. What are they going to do, jump out of the closet like the Pennywise clown and throw me a bunch of balloons? It'll...
  45. merricat

The Holiday

I have been thinking about this, after booking a few weeks away to spend time with family. How holidays are marketed: "Treat yourself to a break". This idea that we need a break, that our lives are inherently bleak, so the (usually) expensive snippet of time we go to live in a different house or...
  46. merricat

People Who Feel Wrong

Of course, although I hope there aren't two of this guy!
  47. merricat

People Who Feel Wrong

We used to know a guy who became a part of our circle around 20 odd years ago. His presence literally sucked the life out of any given situation. In fact I have known a few people like this, all, strangely enough, connected to my ex partner (he was a good buy, so no idea why..). This one guy in...
  48. merricat

Two-Legged Fox

Well there was me reading the thread title and hoping it had been spotted going about like this:
Back