• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. merricat

Jason Gardner: Primal Dreams (photog)

Just chanced upon this in the Guardian culture section, thought the images might intrigue, they are certainly, pleasantly odd. Photographer Jason Gardner travelled for more than 15 years documenting carnival traditions across the world, capturing the costumes and traditions that link...
  2. merricat

Expect The Worst

It is surprising how many people I have met who live by this creed. It seems to function as a peculiar example of 'negative faith' which may serve to protect (or prepare) the believer from all manner of eventual or potential disasters and ill luck. I have a friend who once told me that she...
  3. merricat

When The Lights Went Out

Just watched the film from 2012, no idea how I'd missed that one, but usually shy away from contemporary stock horror, much to my own detriment sometimes. But I loved this, from the wonderfully accurate setting in 1974 Yorkshire to the amazing cast. Has anyone else seen this, and what are your...
  4. merricat

The Holiday

I have been thinking about this, after booking a few weeks away to spend time with family. How holidays are marketed: "Treat yourself to a break". This idea that we need a break, that our lives are inherently bleak, so the (usually) expensive snippet of time we go to live in a different house or...
  5. merricat

Anyone Know Where I Can Get Hold Of This Play For Today?

It's from 1984, called Z for Zachariah and was directed by Anthony Garner. I saw it on Vimeo (I think) many years ago and loved it, but have been unable to trace it since. The story centres upon a young girl living alone in a Welsh Valley after a nuclear holocaust. There appears to be a film...
  6. merricat

Eye Contact

I searched for a relevant topic but nothing specific came of the results, so if there is already a thread for this I would be happy for it to be merged. The subject came up whilst chatting with a friend this afternoon. I recalled an encounter with a stranger over 20 years ago, an informal...
  7. merricat

The Personality Of Towns & Villages

Perhaps a mix of the 'Spirit of Places' and the people who inhabit them. I'm thinking of how much they influence one another. I'm struck by how much places can change though. I was born on the rural periphery of a large northern town, the larger part of which has altered incredibly over the...
  8. merricat

Puzzling Midge Behaviour

I honestly don't know where to put this, it isn't exactly Fortean, but remains something of a mystery to me. I often have my art studio window open on summer evenings, have frequently been visited by moths, wasps and honey bees to name a few. Occasionally small winged, tiny things (silent)...
  9. merricat

West Country Tales & Other Folk Horror Gems

I tried to locate an existing thread on which to share this yet couldn't find one that felt fitting. Please merge into another if that feels appropriate. I love searching for old folk horror or uncanny fictions on youtube, and have amassed a nice little playlist over the past few years. I...
  10. merricat

Legs With No Body, Running Along The Road

This didn't happen to me, but it did happen to my sister a few weeks ago so I thought it might belong in here! She's a strange one at the best of times, although not especially interested in anything Fortean. Throughout her life she has certainly had her share of unexplainable experiences, which...
  11. merricat

Feeling Like You Have Company... Whilst Alone (Lake District Edition)

Not had anything to submit here for a long time, so would like to share an experience I had in the Lake District whilst house hunting in 2018-2019, which involved staying in holiday cottages on and off over a period of 6 months. It isn't the most exciting IHTM you will ever hear by any stretch...
  12. merricat

Jane Roberts & The 'Seth' Material

I am not sure whether this is the most appropriate section of the forum to post, so please excuse me if I have made a booboo! I did a search but couldn't locate anything about her on the site, hence my post. Jane Roberts wrote a series of books in the 1970's and beyond in which she claimed to...
  13. merricat

Places That Feel Hostile Or Wrong

I don't mean in the social sense of not fitting in. I'm more concerned with the place itself, the combination of landscape, water, location - and the feelings that we have about them. I do believe that we have a tendency to anthropomorphise (or personalise) places in the same way that we often...
  14. merricat

Something Unpleasant, Unseen

OK! I’m going to write this as it happened, without any guesses as to what it was, exactly, that I experienced. The truth is I dare say I’ll never know, and that’s fine. I moved into a small, (rented) terraced house in the north west in October 2013. It was a rushed decision as I had made a...
  15. merricat

My Curious Phobia (Trypophobia)

This one doesn't particularly interfere with my life, so it’s hardly extreme, but it’s certainly an odd one, which I’ve pondered over the years with absolutely no idea how it could have come about. As far as I can tell, I have had it since as far back as I can recall, from early childhood at...
  16. merricat

A Sense Of Belonging... Somewhere Else

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? It strikes me that it most likely isn’t all that uncommon, but I haven’t actually met anyone who can relate to it in my everyday life. Ever since I was a young child, I have experienced a very strong and almost painful sense of ‘belonging’...
Back