• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. PeniG

Insomnia (Inability To Sleep Or Fall Asleep)

As a lifelong insomniac, I say it's time and past time that sleep deprivation got taken seriously as a disorder, and part of that is good solid scientific studies on why it happens and what its effects are. Discussion of sleep deprivation (whether caused by insomnia or not) can be pursued in...
  2. PeniG

Central American Bird, French Cathedral

A man spoke to me after a panel at WorldCon today, repeating what was told to him. An old woman of his acquaintance, at that time resident in Mexico City, who was born in East Prussia and emigrated to Mexico in the 30s, had gone back to Europe to settle a property matter, and on visiting a...
  3. PeniG

The Whisperer in Darkness

The trailer for the new "all-talking feature in MYTHOSCOPE" is up, and check out who appears as a character! Excellent casting; you could almost believe it's a cameo and this is a real film from 1931. http://www.cthulhulives.org/Whisperer/twid-blog.html
  4. PeniG

Pesto Can Be Poisonous?

Of course we have. Drifting is what threads do.
  5. PeniG

Good Fences Make Good Neighbors

Completely on Mr. Davis's side here. If you move in next to a farm, you should expect to adjust to the farmer, not the farmer - who was there first and is doing an important job - to adjust to you. I'm against all these new fancy subdivisions going up in rural areas on a number of grounds -...
  6. PeniG

Birds - the Universal UFO

I didn't even try to search this topic; if somebody else has already broached it, please move this there. The thing about being a birder is, almost every trip out will bag you something you don't know what the heck it is. This is why you have whole networks of birders, all with multiple...
  7. PeniG

Y'know, sometimes words have no meaning

I don't remember when I noticed this, but the word "witch" is useless. It has so many different but related definitions that it's usually impossible to tell from context which is intended, and it usually matters a lot. The flat statement "PeniG is a witch" could be interpreted to mean that I'm...
  8. PeniG

The Librarian

The following was sent to an e-list I'm on. What you see is what I know. Not surprisingly, the maker of *Independence Day* doesn't seem to know the difference between a librarian and a curator.
  9. PeniG

Phantom Antarctic News

Hey, did you know that if you hit Ctrl, Shift, Caps Lock, and Tab accidentally while trying to brush away a cat hair, it erases your unsaved post? Anyway, this morning (about 7:00 A.M. Texas time) my husband turned on the TV to catch the weather, and saw a headline scrolling off the bottom of...
Back