• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. V

The Legend of Crom Cruach

A bit of Halloweenery. I searched for this topic, with spelling variations(Gaelic!), and was surprized to find it unmentioned in total. I was reminded of this because of the "Samhain Death God" notion discussed in the Halloween thread. Crom Cruach was supposedly a fearsome deity...
  2. V

Fence Opening Fiasco

This was over a year ago, but I never figured it out exactly. One night, all the dogs in the neighborhood went berzerk, not an uncommon occurrence since one yapper will spark a chain reaction for miles. But when the morning came, every fence gate on the block had been opened whether there...
  3. V

Movie Goers and Tolerance of Horror

I saw the new Dawn of the Dead last weekend and was actually slightly shocked by some of the visceral elements in the film. Rare thing, it was a real "horror film" because it didn't seem to have any point but to repulse. The director gets kudos for making a seriously existentially troubling...
  4. V

Satanic Graffiti

I thought about where to put this, as Religions/Cults seems most appropriate. But the post has an open-ended "questioney" feel to it(because it stumps and fascinates me). Mods feel free to do that thing you do. When I was a little bit, I was very fond of tredging around places my mother told...
  5. V

Strange Murder Case

http://www.nyblade.com/2003/12-12/news/localnews/murder.cfm I wonder if the guy was caught up in something more dubious than his family lets on. From the article, he sounded pretty ordinary though.
  6. V

Strange Clusters of Animal Bones

My friend sometimes tells me about his rather un-boy scoutly days as a, well, a boy scout. Most of them are about hazing new kids and stuff, but there's one story that he swears by that's just plain weird. He says he and a group of other kids went off in the woods somewhere around Selma AL...
  7. V

Interesting UL related socio-psychology question

I got to thinking about the things I've been "warned" about in my life. Other than obvious things you tell kids, like don't play in the street or eat paint, adult warnings end up as mostly bunk when it comes to serious danger. We have all these warning-style ULs, but no one seems to seriously...
  8. V

Origin Of 'Satanic Cult' Legends

I've noticed that alot of places in America have minor legends about some particular place where devil worshippers supposedly congregate. I'm wonder if this came up suddenly in the 80's with the "Satanic Panic" and SRA phenomena, or if it predates it. I know alot of same types of things I've...
  9. V

Degrees of Extremity and the Polarity of Hauntings

I was reading about various legends around my original town, mostly hauntings, when a stark contrast between several of them emerged. On one hand, you have dozens of typical "Old South" scenarios, ghostly belles in their hoop skirts, and long dead confederate soldiers. On the other, you have...
  10. V

Fortean Etymology

I am a linguistics student and presently working a self-assigned course in English etymology. I'm interested in words that seem to have no known origin, worlds which seem to reveal ancient and unwritten languages unrelated to those in which they appear, and the origins of words with bizarre...
Back