• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Xanatic*

Baltimore Bridge Accident

An EMP bomb would presumably be quite noticable today, as everone in the vicinity would get their mobile phones fried.
  2. Xanatic*

A Rather Unwise Tattoo

Of course it might not be a mistake, she could be diabetic.
  3. Xanatic*

Electricity: It's A Killer—Or Not?

There is something called fractal burning. You run a high voltage through a plank of wood and it creates a lightning-style burnt pattern on the wood surface. Just for the aesthetics. Apparently 33 people have died trying this method since 2016.
  4. Xanatic*

Conspiracy Theorists Think The Eclipse Will Begin A 'Massive Human Sacrifice Event'

Someone suggested filling blow-up dolls with helium and letting them float up into the sky. That should get the attention of those rapture-believers.
  5. Xanatic*

Depression

I have the same problem with the black dog/blind space chicken. I would say the problem at night is the lack of sensory input. I have taken to keeping the light on in the next room, so I don't wake to complete darkness. Listening to a podcast might also help.
  6. Xanatic*

Strange Crimes

It doesn't look that bad. However it does strike me as a useless action. They can start dealing on an adjacent street.
  7. Xanatic*

Star Trek

There is a line in the new season: "That is *what* you`ve been doing, I want to know *how* you`ve been doing". No, they haven`t gotten better at that.
  8. Xanatic*

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

It appears they are going ahead with rebooting the tv-show Supernatural. Why not, 15 seasons of it clearly isn`t enough.
  9. Xanatic*

Space Force is about space, that is why Space Force has a Star Trek logo. I think many of the recent outages have been caused by cyberattacks. Messing with navigation could also be done that way. However a power shutdown is a simpler process, which I don't see needs a complex answer like...
  10. Xanatic*

You could have crunchable barriers, to absorb the energy of anything incoming.
  11. Xanatic*

Strange Statues & Sculptures

I like when sculptors fit their sculptures into the surroundings. This is Nello and Patrasche, having a nap.
  12. Xanatic*

What's The Most Boring Fortean Subject?

I find the stories about Atlantis a bit dull. They seem to all follow the same pattern. Someone declares that they have found Atlantis, only it wasn`t called Atlantis, it wasn`t an island, it didn`t sink and it`s not where Plato said it was.
  13. Xanatic*

The Moscow Concert Hall Attack

It makes sense for the terrorists to head for Ukraine if they were in cahoots, which I imagine is what Putin wants to imply.
  14. Xanatic*

The Moscow Concert Hall Attack

Moldova seems a more likely target. They have support in Transnistria and it would give them another front against Ukraine.
  15. Xanatic*

Happiest Nations Overall = Sadder Sad Folks?

Finns aren't really known for their jolly demeanour. You might be disappointed.
  16. Xanatic*

'The Great Global Warming Swindle': Is Climate Change A Myth?

Indirect climate data from ice cores and soil cores are also used. Besides, the rate of warming is also important, not just the increase.
  17. Xanatic*

Happiest Nations Overall = Sadder Sad Folks?

Singapore was recently near the top of the list. They are not known for their laissez-faire attitude.
  18. Xanatic*

Human Population Growth & Overpopulation

Have we had the Valeriepieris circle? It shows how rather skewed the overpopulation is. More people are living inside that circle than outside of it.
  19. Xanatic*

Human Population Growth & Overpopulation

We just need to give everyone student debts. Great for keeping people from reproducing.
  20. Xanatic*

Banksy: From 'Civil Sculptor' To Dismaland & Beyond

The Kissing Copppers work is from 2004. If that many people were watching, I would imagine there exists quite a few camera phone photos of Banksy. However I don`t think the media has any interest in outing Banksy, as both benefit from the marketing ploy of mystery.
  21. Xanatic*

'Earworms' & Stuck-Tune Syndrome

I watched the Barbie film last week. I barely noticed the song in it which won an Oscar. However that "I`m Just Ken" song is a real earworm. I can see why it was that one they performed live.
  22. Xanatic*

Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) Art

There is a board game which I enjoy but they no longer sell it, so I can`t buy my own copy. I decided to recreate it. In the old days I would probably need to commission an artist to draw all the different character portraits for me. Instead I used an AI to do it in 30 seconds. A bit scary.
  23. Xanatic*

Fortean Headlines

According to the Daily Star: The Princess of Wales Kate Middleton has been dubbed a “chaos-bringer of humiliation and mockery” as shining star fades. That sounds like a rather unsuccesful Dungeons & Dragons monster.
  24. Xanatic*

Ageing & Growing Old

"Maternal impressions" is the term commonly used to refer to phenomena like the scared by a monkey.
  25. Xanatic*

Ageing & Growing Old

Yeesh, my parents were born after WWII.
  26. Xanatic*

Shared Fictional Universes

I just watched the Barbie movie. The CEO of Mattel is played by Will Ferell. I wonder if he might be the same guy that he played in the Lego movie.
  27. Xanatic*

Oops! The Silly Mistakes Thread

So we are looking for someone with six fingers on their left hand?
  28. Xanatic*

Strange Crimes

Not the Texas Instruments ones. Despite Moore's Law and all that, they still cost about the same as they did 20 years ago.
  29. Xanatic*

Man-Hunting A.I. Drone Built In Just Hours

It would work better than chasing people with a big white balloon. However as soon as you turn around and run away, presumably the facial recognition stops working.
  30. Xanatic*

Technology Going Backwards

At work we have just replaced the one computer system, for three different ones. Which can still do less than the previous system. Ahh, happy days.
  31. Xanatic*

Classroom Craziness

A lot of you are from the generation where you could get a job and a house straight out of high school. That is but a dream these days.
  32. Xanatic*

Strange Deaths

Seeing as we have talked a bit about the fatal shooting on the set of film Rust, it has now been reported that the armourer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter. Possible imprisonment up to 18 months and a 5000 dollar fine. I believe the trial against Alec...
  33. Xanatic*

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

Yes but making hydrogen could avoid the problems of storage and loss due to resistance in wires that you get with regular solar farms.
  34. Xanatic*

Study: Female Psychopaths Are Surprisingly Common

“If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember.” - Granny Weatherwax
  35. Xanatic*

Taylor Swift: The Reincarnated Leader Of The Church Of Satan?

Taylor Swift is better at singing than at dancing. How many in the pop top 10 can you say that about?
  36. Xanatic*

Postbox Cosies

Swifty: Look closer. I am not sure where it is.
  37. Xanatic*

Postbox Cosies

Painted ones can be nice too.
  38. Xanatic*

The Patterson-Gimlin Bigfoot Film

Yes, and passing it off as real might have been an attempt to recover that investment after the movie failed to be made.
  39. Xanatic*

VFX (CGI Vs Practical)

You do lose a bit of the magic when you see how modern superhero films are really made.
  40. Xanatic*

Postbox Cosies

I imagine that spraying them with hair spray after placing them will keep them from getting too snazzy.
  41. Xanatic*

Fortean Headlines

Without the biblical knowledge, it just looks like old roadkill lion. I can see why it was changed.
  42. Xanatic*

VFX (CGI Vs Practical)

CGI should be a garnish, not the main dish. I think Gladiator was a great example of CGI done right.
  43. Xanatic*

Artificial Intelligence (A.I.)

The author Rie Kudan recently won a prestigious literary prize in Japan. She later admitted that about 5% of the book was done using ChatGPT.
  44. Xanatic*

Strange Statues & Sculptures

The thing that makes sense is to put the cat statue on the plinth and one of the other statues laying next to the plinth. So it looks like the cat knocked it off the plinth.
  45. Xanatic*

Crisps (Potato Chips & Similar Snacks)

Your danish girlfriend was winding you up. Nobody there eats hedgehogs.
  46. Xanatic*

Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) Art

An AI was going to show me pictures of what I look like on a romantic getaway. It gave me 4 pictures of me drinking beer in a bar alone. Ouch.
  47. Xanatic*

Monkeypox / Monkey Pox

It's from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. That seems fairly mainstream.
  48. Xanatic*

Obscure Saints

The rules are that you need to have two miracles attributed to you, to be considered a saint.
  49. Xanatic*

Saudi Arabia

The idea is to have two kilometer-long buildings with a railroad sandwiched in between. This then means you can have a city with no streets or roads, people will just move back and forth along the railroad.
Back