• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. BaronHardacre

Most Historically Inaccurate Movies

U-571, a film which made me inordinately angry with the liberties taken. Darkest Hour, with it's infuriating tube scene.
  2. BaronHardacre

Seriously Bad Taste Merchandise

Not merchandise, but the new catering company managing the canteen at my place of work, has just revealed their menu for the next month. On one day, they'll be doing an Americana/Rock n'Roll themed lunch, with a highlight being the Eddie Cochran burger. Given how Cochran exited this mortal...
  3. BaronHardacre

Fortean Podcasts

I hate to disagree with my fellow Forteans, but I have no problem with Patreon or Kofi. I have Dark Histories, Quantum Mechanics, and Talking til Dawn all on my Patreon, and don't begrudge them a single penny I pay as I know the money is being used to buy books, access to source material...
  4. BaronHardacre

The Abolition Of Cash

Had a Facebook memories pop up from 2016, which made me think of this thread. To quote myself:
  5. BaronHardacre

The 'Obesity Epidemic'

Morbidly obese here. Is my condition my responsibility…? 95% yes (I have an inherited medical condition which both slowed growth, so, yes, short and fat, and slowed my metabolism). However, to put the case for the defence; I had lost 4 stone (went protein heavy, carb light, no refined sugar)...
  6. BaronHardacre

Owzabout That Then? The Jimmy Savile Revelations & Aftermath

I believe that despite his crimes, his songs are still used by American sports teams, and, as I recall, he'd invested quite heavily in London properties. Now, how many of them have had to be sold to pay for his legal representation, I don't know, but he still could well be wealthier than we assume.
  7. BaronHardacre

Uncanny (BBC Programme / Podcast)

Exactly. I appreciate it's a paranormal podcast, so they wouldn't want to go into too many of the details, but to ignore Ampleforth's recent history completely was puzzling.
  8. BaronHardacre

I think just getting back to the basics of the first couple of series of the podcast is what's needed. Whilst, as consumers, we want every story to be more weird or chilling than the last, we do need to accept that there will be lesser stories. That said, Danny and his team do need to stop...
  9. BaronHardacre

Yeah, I was thinking the charity shop route, and whilst I know its future owner would have no idea of its provenance, something just made me feel a little icky about it. I just need to get over myself and put in the ever growing charity shop pile. Going back to Saville himself, it is pretty...
  10. BaronHardacre

I've mentioned on these boards before that my mum used to work on the main reception at St James hospital, and she had quite a lot of interaction with Saville, though she never picked up on the creepy vibes. When I was clearing through some of my late dad's things over Christmas, I came across...
  11. BaronHardacre

TV Series - Shorten it; an hour is too long for each story, hence the insertion of pointless "research" guff. Stop it with the weird zoom close-ups of Danny's face. If it is going to be an hour, use the stories that have more depth to them; the shorter investigations can go on the podcast...
  12. BaronHardacre

The Thread Of Sherlock Holmes

Apologies if this has been shared here or elsewhere, but on searching for versions of "She moved through the fair" I came across this. Okay, only tangentially related to Holmes I grant, but it is a future Sherlock singing quite beautifully about a ghost bride...
  13. BaronHardacre

New episode that Danny trails as being about the first case they've covered about a haunted object. Except, it's not the object thats haunted, and I can't really understand why he led with that... I dunno whether it's just me, but this season (including the TV shows) has felt quite weak...
  14. BaronHardacre

With the Bearpark incident, I do wonder whether the mine workings play a part, just not a ghostly one. The house that my parents live in was built on old mine workings, and before a further "new" estate (their house was built in the late 60s, the rest of the estate 10yrs later) was built around...
  15. BaronHardacre

Terrifying Teeside?

My girlfriend finally saw the light and moved to the slightly less stabby environs of Guisborough, which, whilst having some issues of its own, does at least look slightly nicer then 'boro. Her plan for this Halloween is a midnight walk up Roseberry Topping, though the only horror I think I'll...
  16. BaronHardacre

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Well, looks like the Disney money is having an effect on CGI budget, at least. Let us hope the script matches it. Slightly sad that it isn't another multi Doctor anniversary team up, though.
  17. BaronHardacre

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I'd say that many of Sam Smiths decisions as a business, and Humphrey Smith himself, could be classed as minorly strange...
  18. BaronHardacre

Indiana Jones Thread

Saw it last weekend. The cinema was only half packed, and of a decidedly older demographic, so is it possible that as with a lot of heritage acts, the franchise just isn't that appealing to a generation not even born in the same century the film is set...? That said, as a member of that older...
  19. BaronHardacre

People You Thought Were Dead

With regard to Mike Yarwood, he appeared on a show with Bob Monkhouse which was films in front of an audience of new and upcoming comedians of the time (was filmed in 2003, so not exactly new). Both open up about mental and physical issues, and Yarwood addresses his absence from the scene...
  20. BaronHardacre

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

The may have done; I'll be honest I'm a bit of lax fan (life just kinda gets in the way) and am about two seasons behind, so my apologies.
  21. BaronHardacre

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

There should be an episode surrounding a support group for all the companions who were left bey the wayside.
  22. BaronHardacre

Let There Be More Light: The Pink Floyd Thread

Pleasant chap. There's a video on Twitter from one of his concerts where he refers to Christian Wakeford (not Wakefield) a "...cripple...". Very much an example of being able to separate the art and the artist, for me.
  23. BaronHardacre

The No-Wash Movement: The Stench Of Humanity

At university I lived with a bloke who looked like Frank Sidebottom with Lovejoy era Ian McShane mullet. He barely washed his clothes, or himself as he thought the, er, "musk" would entice women to his bed. Dear reader, I can confirm he was very much mistaken. Consequently had an odour...
  24. BaronHardacre

I noted at the end Danny said it's a case they'll return to, do perhaps they'll address the grim backstory in a follow up. Or not...
  25. BaronHardacre

Dreaming Of The Dead

I've mentioned here before that I've had a number of dreams of my deceased grandmother. Well, over the past few months I've been having fairly intense dreams (enough to wake me up) involving a close friend from childhood, who passed way before his time (he was 41) due to his alcoholism...
  26. BaronHardacre

Spooked On The Job: Your Haunted Workplaces

Though I've never experienced anything myself, the cleaning team I manage in my current job swear that the building we occupy is haunted. Which would be fine, if the building was of an age, however it was only built 6 years ago... It's a purpose built three storey office building, on a business...
  27. BaronHardacre

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

So, I don't know whether you'd call this minor strangeness, or simple bad luck, but I seem to have a curse when it comes to cars. At the tail end of 2021 I inherited a 10yr old Volvo from my father who'd decided to stop driving due to age and ill-health. The very first trip I took in it, the...
  28. BaronHardacre

The Nicola Bulley Disappearance (St Michael's On Wyre, Lancashire)

As I said previously in this thread; Occam's razor. There will, of course, be the speculation about how she ended up in the river (accident or otherwise), however for now the family should be left to grieve, and the police to think about quite how badly they've handled the comms on this case.
  29. BaronHardacre

UAPs Over North America (February 2023)

Yesterdays (Feb 13th) episode of The News Agents podcast was good on this (assuming you believe the MSM). Essentially NORAD wasn't tracking these kinds of objects until the first incident last week, but now they've enhanced the filter, as it were, so more are being revealed. The high...
  30. BaronHardacre

Horror Films

Other than the somewhat CGI heavy finale, I really enjoyed Smile However.... and spoilers this way lay... Given the numbers that it's done, it seems likely that a sequel of sort will happen, but I do think that they missed a trick with the ending *****spoilers***** I thought it would have...
  31. BaronHardacre

Indiana Jones Thread

Well, if that didn't give me some spine shivers... Sallah returns! Also, the CGI doesn't look that bad, to my aging eyes at least. However as others have mentioned "The Dial of Destiny"....? It sounds either like some terrible fan-fiction title, or the name of a 90's 0898 chatline...
  32. BaronHardacre

The Nicola Bulley Disappearance (St Michael's On Wyre, Lancashire)

Whilst speculation is to be expected, if a little distasteful on social media, I really do think it's Occams Razor; if someone goes missing next either a body of, or flowing water the likelihood is high that they're in there somewhere. Given currents, flows, and the sorts of things that you can...
  33. BaronHardacre

Let There Be More Light: The Pink Floyd Thread

See, I even have Glitter on a Spotify playlist, given that it's the music (which he had virtually nothing to do with) which is the attraction for me. Also I've always felt bad for the Glitter band, given their association. See also - all the members of LostProphets who weren't Ian Watkins...
  34. BaronHardacre

Folk Horror

A music video, rather than film here, but very much in the folk horror vein, and slightly unsettling.
  35. BaronHardacre

Horror Films

Thank you. Never really went away, more that I skulked back into the shadows as a lurker, as life kinda got in the way of properly contributing.
  36. BaronHardacre

Horror Films

One of the Final Destination movies used a car wash for a potential death scene (as I recall, the character survived that, but not much else), which was quite effective.
  37. BaronHardacre

ITV Means ACTION In The 60s-70s

Oh, Who Dares Wins. As with The Wild Geese before it, the politics are generally on the reactionary side, and yet I still love it. From the Roy Budd score, to already mentioned action scenes, to the frankly, ludicrous plot (quite why Collins actually had to abuse the American & German soldiers...
  38. BaronHardacre

IP Address Banned?

It must be something with the I.T dept then, given the office is in the glorious metropolis of, ummm, Sheffield, and furthest I go, is to the water machine... Thanks for checking, though.
  39. BaronHardacre

IP Address Banned?

It would seem that my work IP address has been banned; 10.23.42.47. I mean granted, I probably should be working, but I do like the odd browse. Is it something that can be resolved, or should I just live with it...?
  40. BaronHardacre

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I'd have preferred older, myself, but he seems a decent enough actor. What's rather more telling is the nature of the announcement; previous Nu-Who's have been given the red-carpet treatment on prime time BBC1 for the announcement. Now... not so much.
  41. BaronHardacre

Upcoming Marvel Adaptations

I watched it at the weekend and... I didn't hate it. Don't get me wrong, "good" would be a very strong word to use; there are plot-holes aplenty, and it has the least charismatic lead of any superhero film I can remember, but still, I had some fun with it. Or, should I say Matt Smith had some...
  42. BaronHardacre

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

When I was a kid the theme from Fame, "I Wanna Live Forever", terrified me. No idea why, but apparently I would cry when it came on.
  43. BaronHardacre

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

See, I'd see Neeson far better in a remake of the classic (in my house, anyway) 80's TV comedy Sledgehammer, which wouldn't be far removed from his output of late. He just doesn't come across as Frank Drebin to me.
  44. BaronHardacre

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Actually yes, I hadn't even thought of him. I realise I say this from an adult viewing perspective of a kids/family show, but for me the Doctor needs to have some mystery about them, which youth rarely conveys, though I will add that Matt Smith did pretty well.
  45. BaronHardacre

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I'd quite like an older black, male, Doctor. Sort of like Colin Salmon, if not the man himself. I fully understand the drive for youth (gotta get those social media clicks), but I do wonder if that comes at the price of acting and story-telling.
  46. BaronHardacre

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Whilst I've not watched "It's a Sin" which was very well reviewed, I did attempt to watch "Years and Years", and just found it to be a bland, if glossy and well funded, sixth form drama, where the biggest insight was "Capitalism is bad, mmmkay".
  47. BaronHardacre

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

BBC: Doctor Who: Russell T Davies returns as programme showrunner
  48. BaronHardacre

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Russell T Davies to return as showrunner. Rather an underwhelming choice IMHO. Yes, he did a good job in getting it revived, but if you watch some of the episodes made under his watch now, there's a significant cringe factor...
  49. BaronHardacre

The Nicolas Cage Thread (Was Left Behind)

See, I saw the synopsis for Pig, and just rolled my eyes, but then saw the trailer, and now I'm really looking forward to it. Give Cage the right script and director, and there's no reason to think he can't get back to the days of Leaving Las Vegas.
  50. BaronHardacre

The Blacklist

Whilst I still enjoy The Blacklist, it's become obvious that they need to wrap up the Liz/Reddington storyline. Though, I'm not sure whether season 9 will be enjoyable, or like Scrubs season 9, best forgotten by all concerned. It's also fairly clear budgets have been cut; they've gone from big...
Back