• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Squiddy

Heathrow Ghosts

Afternoon Drama - Sebastian Baczkiewicz - Ghosts of Heathrow - @bbcradio4 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04hv9xy Just found this wonderful drama from 2014 on the iPlayer radio app, based on the various Heathrow Ghosts. It's by the marvellous Sebastian Baczkiewicz, writer of Pilgrim and...
  2. Squiddy

Sausage Christ

Like the phrase 'processed outrage to sell processed food' Wonder to what extent the 'nuttiness' of religious groups is manufactured enhanced or coaxed by secular interests simply to grab headlines? Quite like Gregg's Cornish pasties, though don't think they're called that anymore. They're...
  3. Squiddy

Changing Times Changing Forteana

What we need to look out for then, are sexual kinks that are still generally verboten/frowned upon, turning up in abduction reports? Newly minted ones would be an even better indicator :) Maybe the Greys will take it down a notch and start doing sensual massage. Or Vajazzles? :)
  4. Squiddy

Tales Of A Flat Earth

How can you argue with vegans? Surely their veganity (hope this is a word :) ) is a personal moral choice and nothing to do with argument or evidence? Though I understand Vegan and veggie disgust for taking life, I've always thought it was a bit snooty, like saying that we're somehow better...
  5. Squiddy

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Guess so, although all our veiws must be ultimately based on a choice made somewhere of who to trust. No argument is ever irrefutable, suppose that's why we have trial by jury as our ultimate test of veracity rather than some sort of scientific process, everything always comes down to a guess :)
  6. Squiddy

CIA Declassifies Hundreds of UFO Documents

Yes, it's a fair cop, (Sways towards you rattling and clacking) it's hell on my stinger usin' this keyboard, I'm starvin', anyone see that meteor shower last night? :)
  7. Squiddy

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Not sure that Flat earthers think the world moves at all. Isn't it just tiny celestial bodies zooming round us or something? Any actual Flat Earthers around to enlighten us? :)
  8. Squiddy

The Octopus Thread

As I understand it one of the main things that have stopped Octopussies from becoming as 'smart' as us is that they dont care for or teach their Octopuppies :) so each little guy has to relearn the world from scratch!
  9. Squiddy

Tales Of A Flat Earth

So this flat earth metric is exactly like a sphere, with no edge etc how do we know that what we call spheres are not these metrics? Ping pong balls and such? Maybe in practical terms, in the real universe, what an infinity looks like is a sphere? So we can play Ping Pong with it :)
  10. Squiddy

Tales Of A Flat Earth

So would it be impossible to tell that it was flat? In which case, if nobody could tell it was flat, and it didn't in any way act flat, in what way would it in any way be flat? Would a spirit level help? :)
  11. Squiddy

CIA Declassifies Hundreds of UFO Documents

Thanks Monstrosa, had a peek at a couple of the documents, particularly interested in the Scientific Advisory panel of 1953. Always beleived in the extraordinary nature of at least some UFO's, but the down to earth tone and eminently sensible attitude of this document ( Comparing the...
  12. Squiddy

Chastity Belts

What about using the loo though? :D
  13. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

No lol, spiritually of no fixed abode :)
  14. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

To sum up my views on this, I have nothing against Atheism, it's a fine philosophy stretching back thousands of years, but I beleive it deserves a nobler proponent than Mr Dawkin's, one with their heart and humanity hooked up to their brain, and with less of a tendency to dismiss other...
  15. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

Shaming those who want to raise their children into not doing so is coercion, and establishing a moral imperative that people should not have down syndrome kids may well lead to legal measures enforcing the same. If you have a personal connection to the matter, how can you in good conscience...
  16. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

Jokes like that are the thin end of the wedge Myth, just masking.
  17. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

And what makes you think that people with down's syndrome are miserable? The inference is insulting to those born different. I don't know any people with down's syndrome, but my nephew is quite profoundly autistic, and yet he has a good life, he enjoys, many fine qualities including a cracking...
  18. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

With respect Mr Rynner, his statement on this matter was widely publicised, the simplest search will lead you to it, so a reference does not need posting. I find it disturbing that nobody on this forum bats an eye when members further up this thread speak about shooting people for their beliefs...
  19. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

I see no reason to be obtuse about my statement, the inference is clear, what person is going to tell you they'd rather not be born?
  20. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

His comments were irresponsible, dangerous, and callous, but typical of his arrogant overreaching. If I want to know if somebody's life is worth living, I'll go ask them. Who gave Dawkins the right to say who has a right to live, or tell people they're wrong to love and protect their own...
  21. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

The right to abort a child that parents do not wish to raise exists, and I consider it perfectly reasonable. Never having been in that position I certainly make no judgement on the decisions of parents in that position. Dawkins argued that it was IMMORAL to bear and raise a down syndrome child!
  22. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

But the Nazi's did not phrase their anti Semitism in religious terms, nor did they look to religion to justify it. They took their justification from the mainstream science of the time, which argued for the significance of race and the superiority of certain races over others. It's a myth...
  23. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

All reasons are emotional underneath, ask a psychologist. Nobody holds an opinion for intellectual reasons, though they may pretend to themselves they do, those who thinks they do are simply out of touch with their feelings :)
  24. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

Which is weird because his hero Darwin was to his deathbed an agnostic not an atheist :)
  25. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

She doesn't beleive in God, but she's not a strict rationalist, but historically there are all sorts of atheists, predating materialism and rationalism, but our beliefs aren't the point, what's more important is our respect for each other as people. After all, views are just a way of getting...
  26. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

Or spouses/children/friends? My wife is an atheist, and I beleive more or less everything, we get on fine :)
  27. Squiddy

Richard Dawkins

Always thought Thomas Aquinas for one could have torn an also ran like Dawkins a new one History is replete with ferociously intelligent people with religious worldveiws :)
  28. Squiddy

Dyatlov Pass Incident (1959)

Read a précis of his book but haven't read it, something to do with infrasound? Are you convinced by his explanation? :)
  29. Squiddy

Dyatlov Pass Incident (1959)

Certain I recall an article on this in FT, unfortunately I have no filing system, just several big piles :) must have been over a year ago.
  30. Squiddy

Andrew D Basiago & Time Travel (Project Pegasus)

As I understand it, Americans understand Trump as in Trump card, but not as a fart euphemism :)
  31. Squiddy

Totally would vote for Cthulhu, my wife made me a needlefelt replica of the guy, he's lots of fun :)
  32. Squiddy

I'd vote for him :)
  33. Squiddy

TV Licensing: The Stated Facts, In Black-And-White

Yes, but they're all on tic, brighthouse and the like. People will find ways to wriggle when they're on a low income without an end to the tunnel, what else is the lottery and the betting shop about :)
  34. Squiddy

TV Licensing: The Stated Facts, In Black-And-White

Nothing baffling about it, that extra hundred quid for the TV license is more than some people can afford, plenty of people actually. I pay weekly myself, and they get very threatening when you let it lapse, even for a week or two to catch up with another bill. Paying off that fifty quid and...
  35. Squiddy

TV Broadcasts From The Future & Phantom Websites

Also saw this, all I remember is a calm female voice over and a very upbeat positive tone to it, certainly made me feel brighter about the future, noone else in my house noticed it, and never saw it again :)
  36. Squiddy

Swastikas & Disputes About The Swastika Symbol

I remember years ago I saw a review of a book by a Canadian artist with the interestingly nonspecific name Man woman, called The Gentle Swastika. It was an illustrated history of the pre Nazi use of the Swastika, you could only buy it from the guy direct. Was going to buy it, but felt a little...
  37. Squiddy

Do Forteans Represent A Particular Social / Personality Profile?

Here's to never knowing :D LOL Though on second thoughts, even if I havent seen Nessie or a yeti, I dont think I've ever understood anything enough to call it wholly explicable either :p
  38. Squiddy

Do Forteans Represent A Particular Social / Personality Profile?

On a side question, I wonder how many Forteans are interested because of direct weird experiences, and how many are here despite having had none? What are the percentages? I for one havent seen anything, though people close to me have :)
  39. Squiddy

Balaenoptera Omurai: The Omura Whale

Oh, how disappointingly technical! :) So the article is overplaying the difficulty they had in re-locating a living population for study? Is it simply a matter of difficulty of identification?
  40. Squiddy

Randomly Encountered & OOP Coins Or Currency

Never had any mysterious or extraordinary coinage turn up, but I did have a lucky three hours once. Starting work one day, (I work outside) and being more than a bit short and a bit low, and uncomfortably far from payday, I voiced an internal shout out to whatever forces might be in charge of...
  41. Squiddy

Balaenoptera Omurai: The Omura Whale

Amazing and hopeful :) Still room for beleif that anything could be out there!
Back