• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Dr. Porhoët

Weird Sex (Practices, Preferences & Accoutrements!)

https://nocturnalrevelries.com/2018/12/02/carnal-alchemy-sado-magical-techniques-for-pleasure-pain-and-self-transformation/ Just read this book about Sadoshamanism. Apparently some people can do magic after having their bum spanked.
  2. Dr. Porhoët

The Flann O’Brien Thread

The link is in the post there. I guess this site doesn't make it too obvious. Here it is again just in case: https://nocturnalrevelries.com/2018/07/23/robert-anton-wilson-the-last-great-irish-modernist/
  3. Dr. Porhoët

The Necronomicon

Think you've nailed it there. I've read quite a bit of the occulty nonsense that claims the Lovecraft Mythos/necronomicon is real recently, and it's actually convinced me to go back and reread Lovecraft's own work. The original stories are far far creepier than any of the garbage that has been...
  4. Dr. Porhoët

The Flann O’Brien Thread

I wrote an article last month on Flann O'Brien's influence on the work of Robert Anton Wilson. It might be of interest to a few of you.
  5. Dr. Porhoët

Aleister Crowley

Just for the day that's in it, here's a little known poem that ol' Aleister wrote for Saint Patrick's day in 1902.
  6. Dr. Porhoët

Occult Deaths

Hey Fr Kadash, have you been on an "Insight Role"? A few years ago, I was in contact with a lad a lad who claimed links with the o9a. Last I heard he was in prison.
  7. Dr. Porhoët

Aleister Crowley

Posting this here in hopes it will be of interest to some of you. I just interviewed Sandy Robertson, author of the Aleister Crowley Scrapbook, on my blog. Sandy Robertson is also the guy who gave Montague Summers' grave a headstone and the individual who introduced Genesis P-Orridge to Frank Zappa.
  8. Dr. Porhoët

Your Personal Fortean Book Collection: How Big? What's In It?

The last two books I've read have been rather Fortean. The work of John Keel has been mentioned in this thread a few times, and I thought it was high time to read the Mothman Prophecies. I also just finished Arktos by Joscelyn Godwin, a book about polar shift, hollow Earth, Nazi survival and...
  9. Dr. Porhoët

Stephen King

I'm about half way through It at the moment. It (the book itself, not the evil force at work therein) is far from perfect, but holy moly it's an enjoyable read. The last time I was this wrapped up in a novel was probably when I read Salem's Lot last year. Reading King's novels makes me feel...
  10. Dr. Porhoët

A Good Read: Book Suggestions & Recommendations

Hmmm, I can't think of the names of specific stories right now; it's been a few years, and it's harder to remember boring stories. I read the 3 'best of' collections put out by Chaosium. Everything in the first (and shortest) collection (the three imposters) is fantastic. The second volume is...
  11. Dr. Porhoët

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night

Wow, I thought this film was a real let down. Too arty for my tastes.
  12. Dr. Porhoët

I thought the sequel to The Occult was Beyond the Occult!
  13. Dr. Porhoët

Man, I love Machen, and when he was good, he was one of the best, but when he was bad, which he very regularly was, he was really, really boring.
  14. Dr. Porhoët

Aleister Crowley

Yeah. Does anyone on this board think they've managed to filter out the nonsense and find enlightenment through Crowley's work? He was a fascinating character, and while I've read plenty of very interesting things about him, most of the stuff that I've read by him has been utter hogwash.
  15. Dr. Porhoët

Aleister Crowley

Speaking of lucky Crowley finds, I picked up a copy of the Book of Lies at a library book sale a few months ago for 75 cents. I read through it last week. Couldn't make heads nor tails of it.
  16. Dr. Porhoët

The Love Witch

I watched this the other night. It was enjoyable to look at, but I didn't think it was a very good film.
  17. Dr. Porhoët

Perfecting Your Own Ritual

Do you believe that that's possible? In honesty that seems rather silly to me.
  18. Dr. Porhoët

Fortean Films

I watched that the other day after reading an essay on her. I was going to try to watch the Kenneth Anger films she was in, but I don't think I'd have the patience.
  19. Dr. Porhoët

Not quite. Sinistrari explains further; "in the aforesaid girls, no scrotum appeared with its tackles, no beard with a manly voice, nor did the cleft in the female cuntus disappear either, the clitoris alone broke out, and people believed it was a man's yard, it looked so like one." The whole...
  20. Dr. Porhoët

Fortean Documentaries

That's the one on Kyteler isn't it? Great documentary. I made my Dad drive me to Kilkenny last time I was home so that we could visit Kyteler's Inn. It's really cool in there. Here I am waiting on my lunch: Eddie Lenihan, the lad in the documentary with the amazing hair/beard combo, is a hero...
  21. Dr. Porhoët

I've spent the last few weeks reading, researching and writing about Ludovico Maria Sinistrari. He was a Franciscan Friar who set out to write a book about all of the sins that we might commit and the appropriate ways to punish these sins. His book has a chapter on sodomy that is hilariously...
  22. Dr. Porhoët

Stephen King

Wow, odd to see this thread being bumped to the front page on the day that I finished writing a lengthy blog post about my experiences with Stephen King's books. I have only read 8 of his many books (mostly old ones), but I enjoyed all of them. Salem's Lot and the Shining were definitely my...
  23. Dr. Porhoët

Horror Films

Me too! Found Kiss of the Vampire and Vampire Lovers on youtube. Both very enjoyable.
  24. Dr. Porhoët

The Greasy Strangler

I made it about halfway through this before I turned it off. I wanted to like it, but it was trying too hard. It's basically an hour and a half version of the trailer.
  25. Dr. Porhoët

The Illuminati

I recently finished a book called 'New World Order' by William T. Still. Naturally, it claims that the illumaniti's luciferian doctrine is the main cause of all social ills. The book was written in the late 80s, and Still was a Christian crackpot, but it provides a fascinating insight into the...
  26. Dr. Porhoët

As far as this genre of 'dreadful' literature is concerned, I think having an audiobook version really helps. Listening to a boring/frustrating chapter while I'm cleaning the dishes doesn't seem as much of a waste of time as sitting down and actually reading it. The librivox version of the...
  27. Dr. Porhoët

I've been out of work for a while, so I've going mad with the books recently. I read "the sailor who fell from grace with the sea" by Yukio Mishima last week. Very interesting, but Jesus it was an unnerving read. I'm definitely going to read more by Mishima. I also recently finished 'Varney the...
  28. Dr. Porhoët

Raelians

Think they've since settled down and gotten their act together?
  29. Dr. Porhoët

Witchcraft

Can I ask if reading Crowley or Levi ever set anything straight for you? I've tried both and couldn't get anything from either. Crowley seemed a little more self aware than Levi, but they were a pair of wallies. Very interesting that you note that the outspoken occultists didn't put a lot of...
  30. Dr. Porhoët

Raelians

I've been reading some books on UFOs recently, and one of them included a picture of a hairy lad with a swastika necklace. I googled his name and when an image popped up of the same lad in a white suit, I realized that I had seen him before. I had seen Rael on the Late Late Show when I was a...
  31. Dr. Porhoët

Fortean Documentaries

I'm not sure if this link will work for everyone (It works in Canada anyways), but I've just watched this documentary, and I reckon it's about as Fortean as you get. It's about the Unarian Academy of Science. The Unarians are basically a cult that was led by reincarnated Atlantean rulers, Isis...
  32. Dr. Porhoët

Alex Jones

Some of the crap he spouts out is morally repugnant, but damn he's an entertaining man to listen to.
  33. Dr. Porhoët

Fortean Podcasts

Can anyone remember Chris Morris's radio show Blue Jam? I found an archive of all the episodes in mp3 form. I've been listening to them while doing the dishes over the past few weeks. Very black humour. Bizarre enough that I think it counts as Fortean https://archive.org/details/chrismorris_bluejam
  34. Dr. Porhoët

Nominative Determinism

Not sure if this fits, in here, but there was a teacher in my primary school who supposedly touched up some of the kids. His name was Mr. Gentleman.
  35. Dr. Porhoët

Horror Films

wow, things have come a long way since this:
  36. Dr. Porhoët

Fortean Documentaries

This is Richard Stanley's (Director of Hardware and Dust Devil) documentary on voodoo.
  37. Dr. Porhoët

The Love Witch

Looks very intriguing. I think the fact that it's a film made from the point of view of a woman means that I stand a chance of convincing the wife to see it with me too.
  38. Dr. Porhoët

Slender Man

I have known the father of one of those kids for years (I met him on a forum similar to this!), and I was genuinely shocked when I read about what had happened. This guy had always struck me as a particularly loving Dad. He never stopped posting pics of him and his kids having fun and eating...
  39. Dr. Porhoët

Stranger Things

just finished this series yesterday. I have to say, it lived up to the hype surrounding it. Thoroughly enjoyable.
  40. Dr. Porhoët

The Salem Witch Trials

I think that the idea of the film is that they probably didn't rape the toddlers.
  41. Dr. Porhoët

The Salem Witch Trials

I feel the exact same way. Going off on a bit of a tangent here, but I saw this trailer the other day, and I think this documentary looks super interesting.
  42. Dr. Porhoët

haha thanks. No worries about me being intimidated by writer snobs. I will wallow in trashy fiction until the day I die.
  43. Dr. Porhoët

I wrote a short story for a class I was taking last month. It's fairly Fortean in nature; some of you may enjoy it. Night Shift: A tale of demons, aliens and customer service
  44. Dr. Porhoët

Upcoming DC Comics Adaptations

I think my problem was not fearing it beforehand!
  45. Dr. Porhoët

After School Satan Club

Wish I was a student in one of those schools.
  46. Dr. Porhoët

Upcoming DC Comics Adaptations

I saw suicide squad the other day, and I have to say, it was one of the worst piles of rubbish I have ever sat through.
  47. Dr. Porhoët

Channelling UFOs

The cover image shows the results of a contact exercise that's explained in the book. I can snap a pic of the instructions on how to do it if anyone wants to try it out. I take no responsibility for any resultant probings.
  48. Dr. Porhoët

Channelling UFOs

I just finished reading this steaming heap of rubbish. It's all about how to communicate with/channel extra-terrestial entities. Pure silliness. Human beings are weirder than any aliens.
  49. Dr. Porhoët

Our Favourite Fictional Characters

Sancho Panza. I love him.
  50. Dr. Porhoët

Ross Bay Cemetery, Victoria, BC

I love the Island. I'd really like to move there when I have kids. Absolutely beautiful, and Victoria is full of second hand bookshops.
Back