• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. R

Star Wars: The Conspiracy

Tinfoil hats at the ready. This is an excellent video that really raises many questions that have have plagued this topic for the past 20 years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... vv-Yib1Xg#! Enjoy. Although this is posted slightly tongue in cheek the author has done a...
  2. R

When sceptics fight back.

I really don't see the point in this - as Adam Savage says in the quote above people WANT to believe no matter what you tell them. This is very similar to the Athiest/Dawkins position - it just ain't gonna work.
  3. R

Synchronicity Or A Monkey Effect?

Within the space of one weekend two simian escape stories in two Zoo's hundreds of miles apart. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edi ... 136368.stm http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/mers ... 135148.stm Perhaps it is just coincidence but we all know what Fort has to say about...
  4. R

Fortean Brussels

Hey all, i'm off to Brussles next month and wondered if any of you well travelled and erudite fellows know of any sites of fortean interest there. (and even if you don't i'd be glad to know of any 'must see' sights!) Edit: Bit of fiddling with the title. P_M
  5. R

Ghost Video, Croxteth Hall Liverpool

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/videos-p ... -23327003/ Interesting... my initial thought was "it's a torch beam" but when the blob reaches the lighter path it is still visible. My second thought was, it's the light from a Police Helicopter... Croxteth is notorious for gangs, it wouldn't...
  6. R

Odd Bug Baffles Entomologists

Picture in the link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7506355.stm Rather odd eh? Alien species, literally? Hybrid? New Evolution?
  7. R

Marian Apparitions - Medjugorje

I have just got off the phone to my mother who has recently returned from a trip to Medjugorje - a popular Marian shrine in Bosnia. Apparently Our Lady has been appearing there for the past 25 years and now with the cessation of the war it is becoming increasingly popular. For more info try...
  8. R

Celebrity Science

I thought this was very important, especially to Forteans, as it shows how 'scientific' views can be exaggerated to be more than they are by careful manipulation of presentation. I suppose this could also be likened to Tom Cruises adoption of Scientology, has that more legitimised this strange...
  9. R

Fish Egg Confuses Experts

How bizarre, I haven't read anything this cryptozoologically strange for a while.
  10. R

Militant Atheism

Quotes from the BBC website comments page. About the Pope/Islam debate. As a fortean I am disgusted by this attitude. I imagine that many people who hold atheistic convictions will also see the hypocrisy of this chaps statement. But it did get me thinking. Is it possible to be an...
  11. R

Judas Burnings

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/content/ ... ture.shtml It seems that this event is actually as localised as the report makes it, a very small number of streets in a small area of the city. Bizarre.
  12. R

"Stop Grieving, It's Only A Chicken"

Chicken mistaken for Baby If it wasn't for this rumour going around my area for that past week - mainly on the housewife grapevine - I would refuse to believe it. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/mers ... 372230.stm
  13. R

Hearing Your Name Called

Twice, within the past month I have been walking though a busy area of Liverpool City centre, and have distinctly heared someone shout my name. I look around and see no-one I recognise. I doubt it is someone passing by in a car as this particular area is almost a no-go area for cars due to...
  14. R

Mortal Engines

Anyone read Mortal Engines or it's sequal Predators Gold by Phillip Reeve. I know they are childrens books, but they act as cracking light reads (I enjoyed it more than The Da Vinci Code) even though its a mish-mash of various other sci-fi stories. Those of you who don't have a clue what i'm...
  15. R

Books on Early Xtianity

This may not be the best place to post this, so mods, if you want to move it to culture or whatever feel free* Does anyone know any good historically accurate books about early xtianity, spesifically before the fall of Rome? Any help would be appreciated.
  16. R

Can you bring back your pain?

Last week I was in the toilets of a club when I accidently placed my hand where someone had broken a pint glass and got a small splinter in my finger. It hurt like hell (as only small cuts can seem to) but I managed with some squeezing and sucking to get the thing out, afterwhich, I forgot all...
  17. R

Post Iraq Artefacts

Any ideas to where the; a) Bahgdad Battery b) Saddam Husseins alleged Koran written in his own blood are now? Are they still in the country? Will they end up in the New York Museum? Or even on e-bay?
  18. R

Alexander (Oliver Stone Film; 2004)

As I understood it Alexander was a left handed, midget Macedonian living in a time when homosexuality was openly practiced as the norm. It seems strange that the Greeks who are so proud of thier hertiage fail to understand it. Edit: after more research I found that having relations with both...
  19. R

Is it me or is it unusualy bright tonight?

Title says it all really. I went to bed at about 11:30, read until about 12:00 then tossed and turned until I opened my eyes 10 minutes ago and realised how light the room was. I just put this down to the curtains being slightly open. I was thristy so I got up to get a cup of water. I got...
  20. R

Who are your favourite writers?

Mine have to be in no order; Edgar Allen Poe HG Wells George Orwell Terry Pratchett I'm bored and looking for books to read, so any suggestions will be helpful.
  21. R

The Great Kalahari Hole

I found this story in Volume Ten of the Childrens Encycolpedia published by The Amalgamated Press, Ltd, London. Originated and Edited by Arthur Mee. I found it hard to date the book, but it is post-WWII - if only just - and its very typical British middle-class teaching. The wonderful thing...
  22. R

Shingles

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but at the moment I am suffering from shingles (hence the late night lack of sleep-ness) and I was just wondering if there was any magic spells/potions that could help? Or maybe any folk remedies that people know? I'm do not have a huge interest in...
  23. R

Navy approves first ever Satanist

From the BBC -
  24. R

Kenneth Bigley

Ok, this may sound a little ad hoc. I'm still thinking it through. Here we go: - Kenneth Bigly and two Americans were abducted, a few days later the two Americans were killed without any hesitation. Ken is still (presumably) still alive. Why? Ken was apparently an admirer of Arabic...
  25. R

Oldest / Earliest Reference(s) To Ghosts?

I just started wondering when the earliest mention of a ghost appears in literature. I distinctly remember translating and ancient Roman ghost story - Plinys Haunted House Once upon a time there was a remarkable house in Athens. It was large and stately, but had a reputation for being...
  26. R

Histograph

Not sure if this is REAL or just an experiment in design. Rather strange. http://www.vanbezooyen.com/historiograph/index.html
  27. R

Advice on Templar Books

Do any of you have any suggestions for a book introducting the Knights Templar mythos? What do you think would be the best book for me to buy?
  28. R

Cold War Relics or ULs??

I work in the Williamson Tunnels in Liverpool and quite often members of the public come and tell us about possible tunnels in the area. Some of these are quite believable and would fit in with the geophys surveys we've done. Others are rather different. One that interested me was when two...
  29. R

McDonalds Chicken Mayo Sandwich

First ever post here having been reading my Uncles past down copies of FT for a few years. Ok the story goes: 'My [female relation or aqaintance of some sort] when she was coming home from work went into a McDonalds drive in and ordered a McChicken Mayo sandwich. She opened the wrapper...
Back