• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. P

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Modern medecine seems to make every symptom of anything a potential sign of kidney/liver/heart/ dementia /lung etc problems. Best not to search Google when you're ill which can leave you a gibbering wreck.
  2. P

Serial Killers

Something I've never had a problem with in the face of cover ups and gross incompetence. Ms Me is as "bad" as I am which has sometimes been to her detriment professionally. I can see why it happens when you have something (a job or dosh if you fear getting sued) to lose and you need a quiet life...
  3. P

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

There was vid recently posted( that got onto the news) of a mouse "tidying" up a workbench by dragging everything into a bowl or ashtray. Presumably trying to make a nest?
  4. P

The Crooked House In Himley: The Pub Where Coins 'Roll Uphill'

That's the problem. What exactly do you do with an empty pub in a rural location that is clearly not financially viable? A change of use sympathetic to the style of the building is the only viable solution. Only the same with what become dilapidated old mansions which are allowed to be refurbed...
  5. P

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I told you not to p**s off the fairies. Now look what's happened.
  6. P

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Amazing that you survived the A6 south of Stockport with only minor strangeness.
  7. P

The Enfield Poltergeist

I don't think so but who knows what goes on in the mind of a teenager?
  8. P

Historical Coin Hoard Found Buried Under Dorset Cottage

You can see why artefacts are sold discreetly on without reference to the authorities. I'm also surprised that so many finds do get reported, particularly coins.
  9. P

The Enfield Poltergeist

I don't think it was attention seeking because the incident was completely out of character and she got plenty of attention from parents anyway but not spoiled. She was the most together teens I'd ever come across and no I wouldn't have put it down to any paranormal event nor was there any...
  10. P

The Enfield Poltergeist

I think your theory will be correct in some reported cases. Friend's then 13 year old daughter had such an episode as C has described one night a few years ago. It terrified her parents and the girl had to be sedated by a doctor at A&E. She remembered the event in detail but said she had no idea...
  11. P

Historical Coin Hoard Found Buried Under Dorset Cottage

I'm surprised that the hoard is only worth £15k, but I guess this is an auctioneer's ploy to attract interest.
  12. P

Depression

I guess it's easy to get caught up in the thrill of making dosh. In my 20's I changed jobs moved 75 miles away, earned 5 times the wage I had the previous year, travelled long distances, took no holidays, and enjoyed every minute. Lasted 10 years before interest started to wane and it went...
  13. P

Cottingley Fairies

I read recently that Doyle was involved in the Boer war (as was Ghandi). He had rather a full life but I wonder whether his war experiences influenced his beliefs. As you say I guess it's not unbelievable that some of the tens of millions of the bereaved might have wanted to contact their dead...
  14. P

Depression

Yes that was the one.
  15. P

Depression

There was an interesting interview on the radio yesterday with a former stock market trader who started at a young age. Did an 80 hour 7 day week (motto from the floor "If you don't work Saturday don't bother coming in on Sunday"). Burned out and became a volunteer at London Zoo. Some of the...
  16. P

Cottingley Fairies

I don't know whether WW1 and the millions of dead shortly after from Spanish flu caused increased interest in Fortean type subjects. The trauma from the war, flu, and the depression in the 20's and 30's quickly followed by ww2 must have had an effect on people's outlook to life in general. It...
  17. P

Corpse Mishandling

You have to despair don't you. This has happened in the UK as well.
  18. P

Remembering Things Not Your Own

Reminds me of a dream equally vivid of being given the last rites by a padre from the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders following some battle or other. He put a bible on my chest before I expired. Why that regiment in particular I've no idea.
  19. P

Legs With No Body, Running Along The Road

My experience was that the little old lady I saw appeared as you say as colour leeched. On the other hand the dog was as solid as you can imagine a dog to be yet even our scardy little cat who was looking at it appeared unphased and merely settled down when the dog disappeared. The actual...
  20. P

Depression

My sympathy AP. Stressful enough with this hanging over you without it being prolonged by rescheduling. Our local NHS hospital has been bunging people into the private hospital to get patients seen to more quickly. Much more comfortable place.
  21. P

Depression

Hope it goes well for you AP. Fingers etc crossed.
  22. P

Remembering Things Not Your Own

Sounds as though someone(?) was looking out for your great uncle.
  23. P

Conspiracy Theorists Think The Eclipse Will Begin A 'Massive Human Sacrifice Event'

Never thought of that as an excuse on the old hw front. I'll remember to use it with MsP when she's hoovering round my feet.
  24. P

Creepy Small Villages

I had to put my "ironic" face on recently, when the mention of that weird place "Buckshaw Village" was mentioned. (BV is actually a new town in Chorley, NW in Lancashire.) Chorley Council have bemoaned the fact that they don't want another BV -surely a bit late to moan about it now?. Apparently...
  25. P

Creepy Small Villages

I think that arrangement is really dangerous. Eldest son's house is somewhat bigger but the kitchen adjoins the back wall of the garage and he often complained about the exhaust fumes in the kitchen (his monstrous car would pollute the planet all by itself). This despite his old feller telling...
  26. P

O, To Be In England...

(Further aside) Ah yes you can'd beat a Bradford Methodist upbringing - beat being the operative word, which somehow I avoided.
  27. P

Ridiculous Accidents

Charities won't even accept soft furniture if it isn't labelled appropriately and you can see why. I'm also glad that the days of the chip pan are long gone, the dire consequences of the misuse of such I had to see many times, including what was the shadow of a pair of young twins (who hid in a...
  28. P

Conspiracy Theorists Think The Eclipse Will Begin A 'Massive Human Sacrifice Event'

I always wonder why I seem to be the last to hear about these end of the world events. They inevitably come to light after I've just spent a fortune on maintenance and insurance. I'll be mightily pi***d off when it actually happens, and I doubt Insurers would pay out.
  29. P

What's The Most Boring Fortean Subject?

That is the problem with all things psychic, predictions of events which can be years away and only then do you get the Oh ffs moment.
  30. P

Ridiculous Accidents

I'm thinking more of the flammable issue and all the trip hazards.
  31. P

He was (is) an interesting character. He tried to come back under a different guise but was soon spotted and banned again.
  32. P

What's The Most Boring Fortean Subject?

On the other hand 40 years ago I was 100 miles from home on business on my own at a seaside resort killing a bit of time when a Gypsy woman as you describe walking past told me she hoped the woman I gave a ring to the day before really liked it ( we got engaged the day before). Didn't ask for...
  33. P

Ridiculous Accidents

Yes we do but churches in particular seem to get left alone.
  34. P

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Not really though. It is strangeness that you can do sometimes serious damage to yourself doing simple, ordinary, things.
  35. P

Spammers' Gate

Sounds exactly like the verbal responses Indian scam call centres give to those YouTubers who wind the scammers up and sometimes get them closed down. Pathetic people.
  36. P

Strange Deaths

Just like tiles/slates come off a roof with a suction motion by high winds.
  37. P

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

As I've mentioned before hoovering can be dangerous (Ms Me's broken finger). I hope you warn IHGP of the consequences of such activity, although may be you take the view that he can heal himself.:D
  38. P

Ridiculous Accidents

I'm much more wary about life in general as my age advances and my faculties decline. Still I manage to burn my fingers when doing hobby related stuff. Flames and hot stuff (not of the female variety - although I'm still not sure in that regard) are just too dangerous to meddle with, I've decided.
  39. P

Ridiculous Accidents

Awful incident. I've always wondered why, given the flammable nature of flames, churches have not set people on fire before or burned down more regularly.
  40. P

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

You prob pee'd off the fairies with your various shenanigans young Floyd. Have you tried putting your fingers in your ears turning round 3 times all the while shouting "Codfanglers". Essential to film it and put it on here so that we can tell whether you are doing it right.
  41. P

Animal Escapes

OK how do 100 huskies fit into a shopping center cafe and why? Shudder.
  42. P

People Who Feel Wrong

I come across one of those characters at events we attend. I really can't stand the sight of him, although he comes across to many people as very friendly, "life and soul," and normal. I know his history - mentally unstable, but covers it well - and what he has got up to in the past. I can...
  43. P

Frauds, Scams & Cons (General; Miscellaneous)

I think the issue arose because a major funder withdrew leaving Thames Water only having enough funds to last 12 months. Bluffing/ scam - who knows? There was talk of one of those temporary government interventions which will no doubt cost the tax payer squillions. Massive critism of the...
  44. P

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

As I started reading your post it was the first thing that occurred to me as a possibility. Old Land Rovers are very boxy and at a distance look the same at the front as at the back. You never know though whether it's a trans dimensional LR that's been kept secret by "them".
  45. P

Oh, The Irony

There was an incident many years ago when an inmate escaped from an open prison in the North West. He managed to get 10 yards from the boundary of the prison before being killed on the road by a drunk driver. Said inmate was inside for drink driving.
  46. P

Steps Into The Unknown: The Noises Upstairs

It is strange that some people have a very strong psychic connection with not only loved ones but friends as well. I've recounted before about having a very strong urge to visit a very close friend one Saturday morning, a time when I would not have normally visited him( I had seen him a couple...
  47. P

The Crooked House In Himley: The Pub Where Coins 'Roll Uphill'

I suspect that even if they get out of it on a technicality the local authority could still put very restrictive planning conditions on any future application. Rebuilding as before is in practical terms a none starter and I doubt it will ever get done. Could the land be confiscated under the...
  48. P

Kidney Stones

I've got a high pain threshold but the zapping I found to be very painful. This was many years ago though so perhaps the spec has changed. The chatting by the operator may be designed as a distraction technique which can work. On the three occasions I had it done the operators were a silent...
  49. P

Phantom Heat

I experience this too. The settee is in front of the lounge radiator and on occasion I feel a brief blast of heat from it but on checking find it's stone cold. I've put it down to fluctating body temperature and partly the desire to be a bit warmer. Ms P says I'm "TOO HOT!" but I don't think...
  50. P

White Feathers

We had one of those mattress covers padded with feathers. After a few days use the stalks(?) of the feathers began poking through the cotton covering stabbing me in every part of the old anatomy like needles. Ms Me appeared unaffected. White feathers can sometimes be out to get you.
Back