• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Austin Popper

People Who Just Disappear (Go Missing)

Further proof of our devolution. Phone "upgrades" are now going backwards.
  2. Austin Popper

Baltimore Bridge Accident

The FBI sometimes ends up being the "goalie" in US law enforcement. That's often good, sometimes not so much. Their resources and power are vast. The ship is very much in US territory. The NTSB is investigating, but they are not law enforcement. The National Transportation Safety Board deals...
  3. Austin Popper

Forgotten History

Old soul that you are, I don't doubt it.
  4. Austin Popper

Conspiracy Theorists Think The Eclipse Will Begin A 'Massive Human Sacrifice Event'

Monday's apocalypse as seen from space. https://www.space.com/solar-eclipse-2024-satellite-moon-shadow-video-photos
  5. Austin Popper

"How about we ask someone who has actually run a cargo ship?" "Naw, where's the fun in that?" This guy knows what he's talking about, and is not having any of the bullshit spewing from every direction. Comments are interesting too.
  6. Austin Popper

The Navajo Skinwalker & 'Skinwalker Ranch'

I have found that to be very true, more than once. I'll give, as an example, something that happened to me after I began to take a serious interest in UFOs. Like many other people, I decided that if I put some effort into finding out what was really going on, I'd learn enough to form a useful...
  7. Austin Popper

Conspiracy Theorists Think The Eclipse Will Begin A 'Massive Human Sacrifice Event'

Someone sent this to me today. https://www.religimarole.com/post/anarchy-as-flat-earth-dome-halts-christians-ascent-during-the-rapture
  8. Austin Popper

Here is a very well done video showing how shipping containers are secured in and on cargo ships. Interesting stuff for us nerds.
  9. Austin Popper

You know you are in serious trouble when God starts sending eclipses.
  10. Austin Popper

I hope that, if nothing else, all that tampering lands me back in the timeline where Archway still makes Black Walnut Icebox cookies. Man, I miss those.
  11. Austin Popper

Spammers' Gate

Could have been one of my neighbors, off his meds again. Sorry you mods have to put up with this trash, but I'm very grateful for you doing it.
  12. Austin Popper

Dreams That Have Come True

Been meaning to post about something my sister told me many years ago. Some of the details escape me, and I don't recall just when all this happened, but it's an interesting story and I have no reason to doubt it. One night, Sis woke from a dream, feeling disturbed and a bit frightened. She had...
  13. Austin Popper

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

It looks as though I've missed out on whatever it was that EA interpreted as "anti-American". It's puzzling to me, as it seems we are well tolerated here, especially considering our odd and persistent tampering with the English language. Not to mention the more odious cultural baggage we inflict...
  14. Austin Popper

People Who Just Disappear (Go Missing)

I once encountered a toddler who lived around the corner from us, walking along the sidewalk, carrying a bag. He was not far from his house, but there were no adults in sight. I asked him where he was going. He said he was on his way to school. He was probably three years old. I pointed out to...
  15. Austin Popper

The Ouija Board

From the Time and Punishment segment of The Simpsons Halloween Special V One of my all time favorite Simpsons bits.
  16. Austin Popper

Oh, The Irony

Miss a ramp, and you might end up in Oklahoma before you figure out what happened.
  17. Austin Popper

Oh, The Irony

Not all Texans are obnoxious, of course. Many of them are pretty cool. The loud, boorish, ignorant ones make enough noise for all of them though. One time on a two week tour, one of the passengers was a recently retired highway engineer from Texas. He had some interesting things to say about...
  18. Austin Popper

Oh, The Irony

DFW is a bowl of spaghetti I do not miss! I'm sure it's only gotten worse since I was there last. Here's a bit of it:
  19. Austin Popper

Oh, The Irony

Haven't been behind the wheel of a commercial bus in decades. I loved the job, but I was single and pretty much never home. I have a couple of buses of my own now, both built originally as motorhomes. That's an expensive hobby that I've only recently indulged, and I'll probably get it out of my...
  20. Austin Popper

Oh, The Irony

This morning, for some reason, I was thinking about one of the weirdest traffic episodes I ever saw. It would have been about 1993 in Florida. I was driving a tour bus down I-95. There was very little traffic. The road was wide, smooth and straight. The weather was sunny and warm. Florida is...
  21. Austin Popper

Alex Jones

If he were in prison, where he belongs, he'd be able to eat all the ass he wants.
  22. Austin Popper

Oh, The Irony

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
  23. Austin Popper

High Strangeness

Hoo boy. My school experience was much like the above anecdotes. I suppose it fits in the High Strangeness thread. In my two years as a prisoner in the local Catholic school, I sat at the back of the room because I was tall. Fortunately, there was a set of World Book encyclopedias on a table...
  24. Austin Popper

Mysterious 10-Foot Monolith Pops Up On Welsh Hill

We have so much of that "Hey, look at me!" nonsense here it's ridiculous. Youtubers and others love to show themselves "overlanding", which is nothing more than car camping, something that has been popular for as long as there have been automobiles. In our little part of the sticks, it seems...
  25. Austin Popper

Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD): Compendium Thread

We have lots of abnormalcy here in the Various States. It gets quite a lot worse during leap years, for some reason.
  26. Austin Popper

Photos You Need To Really Look At To Understand

"Whatta you lookin' at?"
  27. Austin Popper

Taylor Swift: The Reincarnated Leader Of The Church Of Satan?

She encourages her fans to register and vote, which is very upsetting to some people.
  28. Austin Popper

Taylor Swift: The Reincarnated Leader Of The Church Of Satan?

Just when I thought it was as idiotic as it could get, I learn that it was already even sillier years ago. Holy shit, this stuff is killing brain cells.
  29. Austin Popper

It Happened To Me! Then I Realised It Hadn't

Back when we lived closer to Utah, I would go out that way on bike rides, hikes, or just fooling around when work was slow. Eastern Utah is almost entirely empty of people, or so it seems when you are not close to a town. Which was most of the time, for me, when I was on these jaunts. One time...
  30. Austin Popper

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

I know what you mean. Some of that AI stuff is getting pretty good.
  31. Austin Popper

Tales Of A Flat Earth

You fellas have sussed it. As it happens, I just saw this the other day. Ranty does a good job of explaining the psychosis.
  32. Austin Popper

Farewell To Enola Gaia

Here's some information from the City Data website. http://www.city-data.com/cemeteries/Sullivan-County-TN/1/
  33. Austin Popper

Farewell To Enola Gaia

Damn. And I'm still two time zones away. I thought we had more Murricans here. Dr Wu is in Indiana, I think. Same time zone, at least part of the year, if memory serves. At least that's how I think of it. It's the Eastern time zone, but they don't do daylight time, so they effectively shift...
  34. Austin Popper

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Here's another good one. Wow.
  35. Austin Popper

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Heh! Not the first time I've encountered a knee jerk reaction to an opinion. Doubtless not the last. If you like your religion, then fine. I'm not going to pretend I think it's a valid way of dealing with reality, but I don't see any reason to fear my opinion. I'm certainly not going to try to...
  36. Austin Popper

Farewell To Enola Gaia

The Google says I'm 1568 miles away, or a 23.33 hour drive. It would take me right through my old home territory and all those distractions, too. Bummer. I would like to visit, though I seldom visit graves.
  37. Austin Popper

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Meaning that beliefs like those of the flerfs resemble religious beliefs more than anything. I make no secret of my disdain of religion in general. I see things like flerf "reasoning" as being a substitute for religion, or gang membership, or whatever. A cult is a cult is a cult. As PeteByrdie...
  38. Austin Popper

Oh, The Irony

The Pope said that? Wow! There may be hope for humanity after all.
  39. Austin Popper

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Who hates the silly gits? I find them endlessly annoying, like the dips promoting other religions, but I don't hate them. I can't watch more than a couple of videos showing how dumb they are, in the same way a couple of videos about sovereign cidiots make me want to do something less irritating...
  40. Austin Popper

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Yeah, same old crap year after year. I have a hard time taking any of them seriously, even though I know how stupid some people can be. They apparently do the same amount of actual investigation as the Apollo deniers, all the while telling us to do our "own research", which apparently means...
  41. Austin Popper

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Here's a doofus getting trolled hard by some professionals. Funny! They proved he just parrots whatever claptrap hits his inbox. SciManDan had fun with this one.
  42. Austin Popper

"Meeting Nicola"

We'dve felt like we were in the lap of luxury if we'd had Jack Frost. We didn't even have windows in our rolled-up newspaper in the middle of the road!
  43. Austin Popper

"Meeting Nicola"

Or maybe it was BS and she thought you were calling her out.
  44. Austin Popper

"Meeting Nicola"

Yikes. That does not sound like fun.
  45. Austin Popper

Oh, The Irony

Holy shit. That one is just painful.
  46. Austin Popper

Farewell To Enola Gaia

I think of him now and then when I come across something I think he would find interesting. Usually, I post it here anyway, since he was far from the only one who would want to see it. It's just not the same without him.
  47. Austin Popper

"Meeting Nicola"

Everyone has opinions. I'm very familiar with Friedman's biases. I believe the description of the sessions with Doc Simon in the book I linked are the most detailed ones available. Friedman was wrong about a lot of things, and he could be an asshole, but I really don't think he made things up...
  48. Austin Popper

Amelia Earhart

One problem that has plagued searches for the plane over the years is the abundance of wrecked planes from WWII in that general area. Some of the artifacts pulled out of the water in the 60s turned out to be from Japanese planes, if memory serves. The technology of the time was similar in a lot...
  49. Austin Popper

"Meeting Nicola"

I think hypnosis has its place, and I think there have even been a few UFO investigators who have used it responsibly and with good results. That said, though, yes it's usually the typical shitshow with questions like "Did these beings have big, glassy, black slanted eyes?" Sometimes the subject...
  50. Austin Popper

What's The Most Outrageous Conspiracy Theory You Have Heard?

Yup. There is no end to such nonsense. I had a friend on a UFO discussion board who loathed any mention of "Nordic" aliens. "White people from space, here to save us," he'd say whenever the angelic astronauts would show up in the discussion. He and a few others were a refreshingly sane presence...
Back