• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. WanderingFox

False Memory

Yeah, the impalement has always been, for want of a better phrase, a sticking point. Best hypothesis I could come up with was I 'impaled' the fleshy bit at the tip, but that would require something extremely thin, so seems highly unlikely. The "scratch that became more in my head" hypothesis...
  2. WanderingFox

False Memory

A possibility I've been considering for a long time. Dad, to this day, prefers to do as much himself as possible, and temp fixes that end up lasting way longer than intended were not uncommmon. Also, both parents have difficulties with taking responsibility for their words and actions, Mum...
  3. WanderingFox

False Memory

A good chance. Anxiety has been a lifelong problem, and only relatively recently have I grasped enough of its mechanisms to even start to live with it. As a kid, escalation was highly likely; after all, you're talking about someone who'd hide under tables when things got too much for him.
  4. WanderingFox

False Memory

I was making an assumption it was a 70s toilet because my parents moved into that house in the beginning of that decade, before any of us kids were born, and heavily overhauled the place, but it's certainly possible it was an earlier model. Still, that diagram is giving tingles of familiarity...
  5. WanderingFox

Furries & Animal Wannabes

Definitely more context needed, but unfortunately the original poster of the clip has limited who can read their tweets, so really difficult to confirm or deny the stories going round. Considering the media is clearly still peddling the extremely tired Furry=Fetish shtick - not that I'd expect...
  6. WanderingFox

The Thread Of Sherlock Holmes

Yep. And directed by Hammer maestro Terence Fisher, who also did their Hound of the Baskervilles. He and Holmes were a good combo, it seems.
  7. WanderingFox

Well, a short way into watching Sherlock Holmes and the Deadly Necklace, a fun bit of black and white hokum, and I may just have to revise my top four. Christopher Lee is a simply excellent Holmes, but then, what else but excellence was ever to be expected of Mr Lee? :) Thorley Walters' Watson...
  8. WanderingFox

I also own the boxset, and agree the early episodes, the first two series, are the best ones. Although, there are still good things in the later episodes, prime among them for me Robert Hardy's straight-out-of-the-story-and-the-Paget-illustrations Charles Augustus Milverton. I used to prefer...
  9. WanderingFox

Top four Holmes depictions. 4) Ronald Howard. A good, solid, workmanlike Holmes, that hits the main beats well, but does lack depth, not since the restrictions of the time meant Sherlock's less agreeable aspects had to be glossed over. 3) Benedict Cumberbatch. Slightly odd one in that I...
  10. WanderingFox

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

You tempted me to try and seek this book out, but then I checked my collection to see I already have it. :p So temptation now turns to re-reading it. After I finish my second read of LOTR.
  11. WanderingFox

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Insects such as butterflies and wasps will commonly come into houses in the winter to hibernate, tuck themselves into a dusty, forgotten corner to see out the winter, often without the human occupant(s) ever even knowing they were there. I believe patches of milder weather, when the temps climb...
  12. WanderingFox

It does seem like his legs are folded up and he's resting on his toes inside the suit, which surely isn't a position that can be sustained for long. His dream might soon become a nightmare of joint ache. Hard to be sure when the photos offer nothing to judge the scale of the suit against...
  13. WanderingFox

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

We're some way from Odiham and still get chinooks flying through from time to time, on occasion roaring really low over our house and/or garden, make-the-walls-vibrate-and-panic-our-animals low. Can't say I'm a fan of them. :-p Much prefer the military cargo planes we also sometimes get...
  14. WanderingFox

Fursuits are high maintenance. Most owners of one wear underarmour and a balaclava beneath them to minimise sweat getting into them, wash them thoroughly after every wearing, regularly brush them, and more. If Mr Dog isn't willing to commit to that level of care, or even higher given how...
  15. WanderingFox

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Was he in the same position in the garden, though? Not impossible Shaun could have been clattered multiple times during the vulpine roughhousing, and finally ended up on his feet again, just a yard or two or three from where he'd originally been.
  16. WanderingFox

Quad suits are a thing in the fandom, though very rare because they're a challenge and a half to make and thus extremely expensive (this fella actually paid, if the duckduckgo conversion is accurate, about the usual price for one) so very appropriate! Always show-stoppers, quads, and this one's...
  17. WanderingFox

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Never heard of him before, so zero expectations or preconceptions. Exciting!
  18. WanderingFox

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I was actually referencing Stephen King's It, but Nina's fun, too. :-)
  19. WanderingFox

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

If it was a red balloon, probably better left alone, unless you wanted to float too.
  20. WanderingFox

Well! As articles on the Fandom go, that one's actually pretty darn good! Funny, open, balanced, very well written. And a suave, sharp-dressed wolf voiced by Sam Rockwell? Resistance, for many furries, was definitely futile! I know there are furries in the animation industry - hardly a...
  21. WanderingFox

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

To the best of my understanding, DW is actually doing pretty well in the current TV climate, still ranking as one of the highest watched shows. The crucial context here is that all TV ratings are dropping, as these older platforms simply can't compete with the new, digital, streaming, on-demand...
  22. WanderingFox

Worst Movie EVER?

Oh, I fully understand where you're coming from. I have a pretty low tolerance for violence, but love a good scary film, so lean towards the original Halloween, The Omen and The Haunting rather than modern gorefests. However, if it's comical, like Evil Dead 2, a film so wildly OTT it had Ash...
  23. WanderingFox

Worst Movie EVER?

Yeah, Jason X was one of the better entries in the franchise that stubbornly refused to die, and still likely hasn't, just the right balance of scary, schlocky and self-aware. And now you have me wondering what would happen if another unkillable horror staple, Freddie, got booted into orbit...
  24. WanderingFox

Worst Movie EVER?

They're owning the trope, at least., but you do have to wonder where the whole "Insert cheesy horror franchise here" IIIIN SPAAAACE thing will go next. Paranormal Activity IIIIN SPAAAACE? Saw IIIIN SPAAAACE? Halloween SPAAAACE? Tremors IIIIN SPAAAACE could be fun, mind.
  25. WanderingFox

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Fangorn Forest writ real. Stunning.
  26. WanderingFox

Worst Movie EVER?

:doh:Well, now I feel silly. Shows how much of the dialogue landed for me, I guess. Well, that explains the western bar theme, but not a single thing else! Maybe they shared the chemicals Gordon was imbibing when he made Village of the Giants. Speaking of Gordon... Noted. Will think on it...
  27. WanderingFox

Worst Movie EVER?

About the dubbing? Fair enough. :-) The Mole People eschewed badly comped critters in favour of a long-buried matte painting city of light-sensitive, highly religious albinos and their scaled, bug-eyed, long-clawed, burrowing, humpbacked, mostly feral yet neatly dressed slave race...
  28. WanderingFox

Worst Movie EVER?

Time of the Apes was a Japanese sort-of spin on POTA with truly atrocious dubbing. King Dinosaur was notable only for trying to pass off real lizards as Big Scary Dinosaurs via ropey cross-cutting. Village of the Giants, on the other hand, was an absolute cracker: giant cat, giant dog, giant...
  29. WanderingFox

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

You lot are truly incorrigible! Love it, not least since I needed a good laugh. :chuckle:
  30. WanderingFox

Worst Movie EVER?

Certainly agree that modern blockbusters often deserve more derision than shlocky B-movies, because yes, the latter at least try, while the former...not so much. As well as Prometheus and the completely hollow and lifeless ID:R I'd submit Terminator Genisys as one of the absolute worst - as...
  31. WanderingFox

Worst Movie EVER?

If you're asking me, yes. It was memorably unmemorable. Pretty visuals, empty characters and vague ideas drifting listlessly in search of a plot. Not one of Sir Ridley's better efforts. Why? Regarding MST3K, ended up going for the simply-titled Mitchell, and oh, sweet mercy. A wannabe...
  32. WanderingFox

Worst Movie EVER?

Discovered Night of the Lepus is on Plex. The trailer alone is spectacularly awful, straining at the seams to make the monsters as dark and scary and demonic as possible, while also straining not to give away the cutesy truth. Also, Deep-voiced Trailer Guy insists on pronouncing Lepus...
  33. WanderingFox

Worst Movie EVER?

One to try and search out, then! Funnily enough, the thread I mentioned hearing about it on was on a Star Trek board, and talking about Trek actors appearing in unexpected places. DeForest "Dammit, Jim" Kelley taking on oversized homicidal rabbits is certainly pretty unexpected! And yeah, it...
  34. WanderingFox

Worst Movie EVER?

Here's one that came up randomly in a thread on another board I frequent, that sounds like it's the kind of so bad it's good film MST3K thrives on: Night of the Lepus. It's a monster movie, and the monsters...are giant...killer...bunny wabbits! I mean, how could a concept that inherently...
  35. WanderingFox

I may just have hit upon one of those conflated Strands: The Norwood Builder, more particularly the ITV, Jeremy Brett adaptation, which expands the story. In Doyle's original, Oldacre burns what Holmes believed to be animal flesh to ash to simulate a murder victim, whereas in the Brett version...
  36. WanderingFox

Worst Movie EVER?

The Brain That Wouldn't Die got the MST3K treatment, which is pretty much a certificate of authentic awfulness. I recall it being a pretty risible film the crew had a lot of fun with.
  37. WanderingFox

Closest I can think of to Holmes as a beggar is the raggedy old bookseller disguise from The Empty House, which he dispenses with at the most dramatic moment possible to reveal to Watson he's alive, well, and not resting with Moriarty at the bottom of the Reichenbach Falls. Watson also stumbled...
  38. WanderingFox

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Well, feeling a bit of an idiot, as I'd somehow managed to forget there's a cupboard space tucked into the eaves of the low sloping roof, under the window of an upper room, right where the scratching was coming from. Talked to the household member, and they confirmed activity had been found...
  39. WanderingFox

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Strange Noises Part 3: the Scratching. Seem to be collecting the poltergeist set, here. :litg: Except, in this instance, the explanation is pretty obvious: something, most likely a rat, because what else could it really be, found its way into the space between ground floor ceiling and first...
  40. WanderingFox

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Thanks! Quite the curve ball. Never expected him to come back. Fascinated to see how he'll approach Who this time. Confident it won't be just more of the same.
  41. WanderingFox

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Aliens of London and World War Three come readily to mind, there. Source for this?
  42. WanderingFox

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Very good point. I can hear the clack of the toilet lid hitting the cistern from my bedroom across the house, but no other sounds (thankfully!), even though some of them surely have to be louder. It also seems entirely arbitrary what sounds my solid wood bedroom door blocks out, and which ones...
  43. WanderingFox

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Good thinking, but no. To the best of my recollection, no carbonated drinks in the house. Not really a thing in this household.
  44. WanderingFox

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Startlingly loud noise, part two. This happened about ten minutes ago. Downstairs, checking on Tigger, and locking up, and grabbing snacks to aid writing, and feeding the feral cat who's adopted us. Just as I'm setting their small meal down I hear a really loud sound I can best describe as a...
  45. WanderingFox

Urban Foxes/Rural Legend

Foxes are more than intelligent enough to recognise individuals and adjust their behaviour to suit, as I've seen for myself, with a fox who had no issue with me watching them from a respectful distance, but would melt away just before someone else went past, then reappear once they were gone...
  46. WanderingFox

Urban Foxes/Rural Legend

Why are so keen to blame grey squirrels for the near-extinction of the British red, when it was us persecuting the reds just as much as we now persecute the greys that did for them? Why do we demonise rats as filthy, waste-eating disease carriers when we're the ones creating and piling up the...
  47. WanderingFox

Worst Movie EVER?

Manos has no sense of pacing whatsoever. It's excruciating. Also funny in a how-is-it-even-possible-for-anything-to-be-this-bad kind of way. Still slightly more tolerable than Mac and Me, though.
  48. WanderingFox

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Best guess re bus: it's a longer name, eg Springfield, that's supposed to be scrolling, along with the bus' number, but the display's frozen.
  49. WanderingFox

Macabre Place Names

Reading through Paranormal Encounters on Britain's Roads by Peter McCue - good book - I came across the delightfully ghoulish-sounding Slitting Mill Road in Cannock Chase. A little internet research revealed there's a village of that name, which even has a site. The latter reveals that, despite...
  50. WanderingFox

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

If it's 3 feet wide by 10 feet long, maybe it's just attic or loft space that got sealed off at some point...?
Back