• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. FruitBat

Mammoths: Out Of The Past & On The Horizon

This is an interesting subject, any updates on what happened to the bones? i.e did they get sold or were they sent to a museum? I've recently found a fossilised sea sponge and a piece of fossilised bone which I've been told is likely to be part of a rib or fibula and could be somewhere in the...
  2. FruitBat

Krampus

I agree!!
  3. FruitBat

Krampus

Thank you, I'll check out the links :)
  4. FruitBat

Krampus

Yes he does, I'm not sure where the tradition originates from but I don't recall it being traditional here in England either...
  5. FruitBat

Krampus

Many thanks for your help, the pictures you've added are great, I particularly like the one on the right... I shall indeed make a sack and an extended tongue. Not sure just how well my first attempt will be, but I need to try, any ideas on why Krampus has an extended tongue?
  6. FruitBat

Krampus

I'm interested in the history of 'Krampus' and I'm looking for images of 'him' which I think may be helpful as I'm trying to design my first ever knitting pattern to make a Krampus 'doll'
  7. FruitBat

A Little Bit Of Art

Hi, thought you may like to see an example of my friends unique cards, painted in watercolours and/or pen and wash. Each one is an original and can be framed, a lovely and unique gift!
  8. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

Well, who knows... but as they say when you've gotta go, then you've gotta go!
  9. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

I wouldn't know where to start! Had thought maybe to create a metal detecting channel at some point though. My best camera died on me two days ago so I've had to order another, I'll test it out with a few photo's of 'finds' when it arrives.
  10. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

Absolutely! It's been in my possession for at least 30 years and couldn't help but feel in awe when I blew it, being the first person to do so since the previous owner who lost it hundreds of years ago. Hopefully I've not summoned anything untoward :)
  11. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

Sounds like a plan for a future project, although I've never made a video for YouTube before :)
  12. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

I've just examined it with the loupe again but I can only see lots of scrollwork patterns. I don't think there are any words on it.
  13. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

So many fabulous bells on there, thank you for the link :)
  14. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

Yes sadly the suspension loop is broken off, it was like that when I found it, the break was already an old one so I'm glad I never broke such a precious little thing whilst removing it from the ground.
  15. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

The suspension loop is broken off, it was how it was when I found it. I just now held a finger over the broken part and then blew, my God it packs a punch for such a little thing! Goes to show the advantages of quality craftsmanship :)
  16. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/1191/25192/9231944_1_x.jpg?version=1&width=512&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=50
  17. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/1191/25192/9231944_1_x.jpg?version=1&width=512&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=50
  18. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

I think I've found out something about the whistle :) I think it's a post Medieval Tudor Decorated Hawking Whistle. I've just been looking at an almost identical one (albeit in better condition than mine) it was found in Wiltshire and sold for £85 at auction. I'd never sell mine but now I'm excited!
  19. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

Yes I think it's very old, never thought of it being a shepherds whistle but quite possibly so? Not sure of the type of metal it's made from, I found it on a very old footpath during the 1970's.
  20. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

Here's another photo :)
  21. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

You're right it's definitely an old whistle of some sort, it has the air hole, but again just like with the crotal bell I'm unable to find a makers mark. There's lots of scrolling patterns on it though.
  22. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

Looks very much like a casting when looked at through a loupe but I'm not completely sure.
  23. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

Another little antiquity here, another detector find from many moons ago.
  24. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

That sounds very probable, it also brings to mind a very interesting book that's quietly sitting in my bookcase. I'll take a look through its pages to see what it says about bells during times past.
  25. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

Been doing some research, apparently some of the bells of this size were attached to carriage horses harnesses so that other horse drawn carriage drivers would hear them and know that another carriage was approaching. I've been looking at a first edition reprint of the area where I found it...
  26. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

Well, after yet another lengthy examination with both Loupe and magnifying glass, I've come to the conclusion that the bell does not have a makers mark. Disappointing but never the less it's still a fascinating object... So I'll need to get the trusty old detector out and try to find another one...
  27. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

Thanks for the link, really interesting stuff there. I've tried finding a makers mark on my bell but if there is one it's eluded me so far....
  28. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

Sorry, yes there are, Easton Norfolk, home of the Royal Norfolk Show.
  29. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

I found it in the garden of a house at Easton that I lived in in the late 70's
  30. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

So far I've discovered that the type of bell that I recovered is probably late 18th century.
  31. FruitBat

Crotal Bell

Several years ago whilst on a metal detecting adventure I came across a Crotal Bell. Here, many many years later I still keep it, a treasured (excuse the pun) memento of days gone by. I've included photo's, I'm wondering if anybody has any information on the bells? Did livestock keepers use a...
Back