• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. D

O, To Be In England...

I once read that Essex is the driest county in Great Britain. St Osyth (in Essex) being the driest town.
  2. D

The Vegetarian & Vegan Thread

Do it Mr F. It's a little odd that I have just clicked onto this thread, as I have literally just put the phone down to a local pub to book a table for tomorrow evening, as Mrs DT was asking me last night to take her to a local pub which specializes in Steak.
  3. D

Lincoln (England)

:):). Very good Mr F. The weekend was great and I loved Lincoln, and hope to return back next season (if Lincoln City FC don’t get promoted that is). Both the cathedral and Castle are stunning. I loved the Victorian prison and found the prison chapel quite creepy, but alas no spooky experiences...
  4. D

Postbox Cosies

I stand corrected Myth.
  5. D

Postbox Cosies

That post-box is a GR Rather than an ER. As in George Regina. They are quite rare I think. There is one in Leadenhall market in the CIty of London, but that’s the only one I know of.
  6. D

Lincoln (England)

We are off on a long weekend break to Lincoln on Thursday. I know it’s an ancient city, and does have ghost walks around the town centre, but does anyone on here have any first hand experiences of Lincoln.??
  7. D

Ageing & Growing Old

Have a great day.
  8. D

Jack The Ripper (Compendium Thread)

Apparently, just on the south side of Southwark bridge there is a memorial to all the sex workers who died during the jack the ripper era, and someone has hung up an Orient scarf there. What a bizarre thing to do, although we can be a bit eccentric over in Brisbane road..
  9. D

Not As Environmentally Friendly As Promised

The real problem is the over population of mother earth.
  10. D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Odd one this, and not to do with my radiator issues. When I was in my early teenage years, right the way up into my early 20’s, I’d always have lower joint trouble at this time of year and in October. I hadn’t injured myself playing sports i.e. football etc, but every year for a week in early...
  11. D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I'll let the engineer do that Aydee. Plumbing and or electrics is not my cup of tea.
  12. D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Further to my ongoing Radiator problems. The rads in the living room are now working as they should do, however this morning I walked past my daughter’s bedroom (she’s been out at Uni since 7am) and I noticed that the room was very warm. I checked the rad and it was piping hot, thinking that...
  13. D

Lucky Escapes

That was on the other day. Film 4 I think I haven't seen it in years and had forgotten how good it is (especially the sound track) I refuse to watch the remake BTW.
  14. D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Sorry Mr F. I've had very busy weekend and morning. The engineer couldn’t explain why the dials were turning themselves on, but he tinkered around with them, and it hasn’t happened since. He did say that he’s never encountered the problem in his 10 years as a gas engineer though. I guess...
  15. D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Afternoon Mr F. We have the boiler on a setting where it stays turned off untill a dial is turned up on a rad then the boiler fires itself up
  16. D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

The engineer is coming this afternoon, but things are getting even weirder with the radiators in this house. Since I posted the above the rad behind the sofa has decided to behave it's self, and has not turned itself on -. I’ve been checking it every day. However, the same thing is now happening...
  17. D

The Smell Of Sickness

The last time I breathed into a device Max I was told I was banned from driving for 2 years and had to pay a fine………..only joking. :)
  18. D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

My favourite drink is whiskey and windowline……………………you wake up with a hangover, but your eyes are as clear as a bell :)
  19. D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Cheers for that Mr F. I'll let the engineer work that one out. I'm not good with plumbing or Electrical stuff. Even though the old man was a Electrical engineer, it didn't rub off on me I'm afraid :)
  20. D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Correct Myth.
  21. D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Evening Mr F :) I do get that things become worn after a period of time, but to have the dial go from zero, then turned all the way the highest setting (5) is weird - especially on a constant basis (well the last 2 weeks). In front of the radiator is a sofa, so I’m wondering that people...
  22. D

The Beatles Live On In Another Dimension?

Wow M’lud, how lucky are you. I knew virtually nothing about the Beatles until December 1980 when John Lennon was murdered (I was almost 10 years of age). The media hype that followed his death, made me take a huge interest in their lives and music, which has stuck with me ever since. I’m dead...
  23. D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I posted on here some time last year, where the dials on both radiators in the living room had turned themselves off whilst I was out of the house. Well, it’s been happening again this past 2 weeks. I’ll come down in the morning and see the boiler fired up when it shouldn’t be. I check each...
  24. D

Old Urban Legends

Bloody hell........really.?
  25. D

Old Urban Legends

Is it still open I wonder...?
  26. D

Old Urban Legends

Actually Temp, I’ve remembered a little story about the Oak that you may be interested in. Perhaps your uncle would have been in situ at the time of the incident. We are talking very late 1980’s /early 1990’s As you were probably aware, the Oak was one of those pubs in which many of the young...
  27. D

Eerie East London

:D. Just to add to the confusion, there is also another Bunch of Grapes just on the southside of London Bridge, near Borough market, and also a wine bar called the planet of the Grapes just around the corner from the lime street Bunch of Grapes :)
  28. D

Eerie East London

Sorry Simon. It is me that is causing the confusion. I was getting confused with the Grapes in Narrow street (which I have been into a few times) with the Hoop and Grapes in Aldgate High Street (which I have never been into). The Hoop and Grapes was the pub I was referring to and which I will...
  29. D

Eerie East London

What’s odd about the grapes Pete, is that I lived in the area for the first 35 years of my life, and have worked in Fenchurch street since 1996, and bearing in mind that I am a great frequenter of pubs (especially historical pubs) not once have I ever entered the premises but can’t think why...
  30. D

The Problem With British Ghosthunting

How did Saturday go Titch..? Anything to report.?? I was in the village local pub yesterday afternoon, where from the window in the saloon bar, you have quite a good view of the Castle, and was wondering how you got on.
  31. D

The Enfield Poltergeist

You beat me to that comment Titch. Now I gonna start going through my book collection and work out where I read that one of the brothers was in a "special" school at the time of alleged haunting.
  32. D

Great Quotations

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." WLS Churchill.
  33. D

Depression

Very possibly Pete. That notion is certainly been in the back of my mind for some time. I suppose that’s what is called the vicious cycle..?
  34. D

Depression

Good luck Steven. It's an awful thing depression. Sadly it runs on my Wife's side of the family. Her grandmother was in an institution because of it, as were her Mother at some point. It skipped Mrs DT and her older sister, but stuck it's claws into her younger brother the poor chap. I haven't...
  35. D

Old Urban Legends

I knew the British Oak quite well Temp. There were 3 pubs on that part of Lea Bridge road that were in spitting distance of each other. The Prince of Wales (renamed the Princess of Wales after the death of Diana) the British Oak and the pub in the middle was called the Ship aground. The Oak was...
  36. D

Old Urban Legends

The locals won't eat in any of them though Myth. When I lived in the east end, I'd always walk into the city to eat an Indian. The Spice trader on Philpot lane being my go to place.
  37. D

Old Urban Legends

Yup Some of my earliest memories is sitting outside pubs, waiting for the old man to appear with a bottle of coke and a packet of crisps. On match days it would always be the Oliver twist on Oliver road Leyton (now flats sadly) Or if it was warm, I was allowed to take my little fishing net and...
  38. D

Alas, I’ll be around a 100 miles west of Castle Hedingham in the lovely market town of Reading on that weekend - otherwise………… http://www.hauntedhovel.com/hedinghamcastle.html
  39. D

Titch. Do you mind if I were to ask you the date of the investigation..?
  40. D

Where Does It Come From? Origins Of Phrases & Expressions

Not really a “where did it come from phrase”, but my Dad would love to use this phrase when coming home drunk form the pub. Mum (angrily) – Drunk again…? Dad (with a slight grin) – So am I. :)
  41. D

Phantom Hitchhikers & Road Ghosts

Sadly for Mrs DT's sister, I agree.
  42. D

What Is Hell Like?

100% Agree Max,.......and, Woodforde's NOG is constantly in a barrel behind the bar and never a guest ale. Could also do with not having a pool table, to attract the Burberry baseball caps wearers an all. Rant over..
  43. D

That's the point Mr F. Mrs DT doesn't believe she got lost in the woods at all. Her relationship with her Husband has been on the rocks for a long time, if you know what I mean.
  44. D

Back in October my sister-in-law took her dog out for a walk in the woods at 10am, and didn’t return home again until 8.30pm, saying that she had got lost, even though she takes the dog to the same part of the forest every day. She also didn’t take her mobile phone with her conveniently. Mrs...
  45. D

Haunted Hotels & Hotel Ghost Encounters (IHTM)

Good point @IbisNibs and actually I could get closure on this story. The barmaid in question was a young girl of around 25 years of age - pleasant and chatty, and over our 3-night stay Mrs DT and the young barmaid became quite friendly with each other. She explained that she was finding it hard...
  46. D

Haunted Hotels & Hotel Ghost Encounters (IHTM)

As a new year treat, I took Mrs DT for a new year’s weakened away to an ancient inn, in rural Suffolk. I tried to book the Crown inn, in Bildeston, which is a well-known haunted pub, but they were fully booked, so we booked into a 15th Century inn a few miles away. I googled the inns name and...
  47. D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

An interesting point that Steven. I’ve been in many a pub that if you weren’t a regular, the bar staff simply ignore you.
  48. D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Wow that Wow that is quite creepy. Or at least I found it to be creepy anyway.
  49. D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Funny little one on Christmas morning. I bought my daughter a necklace for Christmas which included a small clasp. When she undone the clasp however the little pin that attaches the clasp together fell onto the living room floor and couldn’t be found. She searched high and low for it to no...
  50. D

Health Urban Myths

A good strong cuppa tea will sort it. Always has, always will :)
Back