• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. D

Lincoln (England)

We are off on a long weekend break to Lincoln on Thursday. I know it’s an ancient city, and does have ghost walks around the town centre, but does anyone on here have any first hand experiences of Lincoln.??
  2. D

The Scariest Moment Of Your Life (Fortean Or Not)

I was chatting to a fellah (Rob) in the local pub yesterday lunchtime, and I can’t remember how the topic came up in conversation, but back in the 1980’s he told me he was walking his dog through woodland in Essex when he was approached by a man who pulled a knife and demanded his wallet. He...
  3. D

Creepy Insomnia

I’m pretty sure there is an insomnia thread on here somewhere, but I don’t think a creepy Insomnia thread so thought I’d start one. I have been suffering mild insomnia for around 20 years now. It flares up from time to time and it’s not nice, and sometimes bloody creepy hence my post. I woke...
  4. D

The Death Of William Posters

Sitting in work the other day (bored as usual) I asked the young guy sitting next to me, if he knew who the biggest criminal this country had ever produced was. He thought for a moment and said “Erm one of the Kray twins”…..Nooooooo I said. “Erm Erm Ronnie Biggs” he ventured……Again “Noooooooooo”...
  5. D

Bowden Hall In South Devon

This is an interesting story that I was reminiscing about the other day. It’s a little long – sorry. In the October of 1994 I was on a four day mini break in south Devon with my then girlfriend, and despite her having zero interest in anything fortean she agreed to come on a ghost tour with me...
  6. D

The Thorn Hotel, Mistley

I don’t remember doing it as I had way too much to drink yesterday eventide :), but I’ve booked a couple of nights at the Mistley Thorn hotel for a birthday treat for MRs DT. Apparently haunted by the spirit of the witchfinder general himself. I know at one point Matthew Hopkins owned the Thorn...
  7. D

Attaching Ghosts (Spirit Attachments)

Recently I was listening to an episode of bedtime stories where one of the narrators, were telling the audience of their own personal fortean experiences. The story that creeped me out the most was one in which a spirt of a young girl, attached itself to the family of one of the narrators’...
  8. D

Can Old Wounds & Injuries Be Inherited?

It’s a funny thing to ask and it may seem like a daft question, but I have wondering this for a few months now. Can wounds obtained in life be passed down genetically to your Children or even your Grandchildren??? The same way I guess that other medical ailments can. I ask because when my Dad...
  9. D

Fortean Country Walks

I don’t know if there is a fortean country walk thread, so I thought I’d start one, after a tale that was told to me at the weekend. Last Saturday morning a neighbour of mine and I went out for a country walk. He knows how much I enjoy walking, so he kindly offered to take me on some of the...
  10. D

A Dartmoor Tale

I’d been meaning to tap this one up for ages, but have always been put off by the length of the bloody thing. Today however some IT dude knocked out the systems at work, so the internet is all we’ve had since 2pm Sorry, this is long, bear with though,, Dartmoor in SW England is one of my...
  11. D

Haunted Swimming Pool?

I’d been meaning to post this on here after recently reading a post, (which I now annoyingly can’t find) about the feeling of human hands on one fortean member, whilst they were swimming in an empty local pool. I had a near identical experience to this whilst I was holidaying in Corfu in 1995...
  12. D

Sparrow Lake

An interesting report made more so for me, as I’m only a short drive away from this location. One sunny October day a few years back, I took the kids on a spooky Halloween walk there. I can certainly attest to the odd atmosphere, It’s hard to explain, but as we walked around a certain park of...
  13. D

Shrooms

These have sprouted up in my front garden. Anyone know if I can fry them up with my Bacon and Eggs tomorrow morning..?
  14. D

Aldeburgh

I am taking the wife away to Aldeburgh this coming weekend. We were planning coastal walking to Walberswick and then taking the ghostly foot ferry over to Southwold, but it’s a 15 mile schlep. Anyone here know any fortean locations in Aldeburgh in which don’t involve a 30 mile round hike..?
  15. D

Rat Type Of Dog Type Of Thing

I was driving home last night and had a near miss with a Muntjac deer – the bloody thing ran out from woodland by the side of the road, right into my path. I broke the car hard and just managed to avoid it as it ran into woodland on the other side of the road – luckily there were no cars behind...
  16. D

The Disappearing Gardener

I would imagine there is a thread on here about local Churchyards, but I thought I’d share this on a new one. I took a day off work yesterday, and at lunchtime decided to go to my village pub for a beer and a sandwich. The pub is a 15 minute walk away from my house, and I have to cross the...
  17. D

The Ghost Hole

A few days ago I met up with a mate for a few after work beers. The conversation drifted onto golf, and he reminded me of a curious Incident that happened several years ago, and which I had completely forgotten about. I told him that I’d upload the story on here, and see if any of the good folk...
  18. D

Exotic Birds In Great Britain

A few nights ago I was sitting up watching late night TV, and heard what I can only describe as an exotic bird, it was loud and sounded to be just beyond the back door in my back garden - It was the sort of sound that you may hear, if you visited the bird house in your local zoo. Not wanting to...
  19. D

Creepiest Fortean Story?

There’s quite a few tales posted on this forum that genuinely gave me the creeps, but true or false, what’s creepiest fortean story you have ever been told / heard of.?
  20. D

My Old Rented Flat

Back in the mid 90’s I lived in a converted Victorian flat, in which a 12 year old boy hung himself in the 1940’s – I have to say that I did not see, hear or feel anything in the three years I lived there, so not fortean but interesting none the less. According to an elderly neighbour who still...
  21. D

High Beech

There is a place on the outskirts of the eastern side of London called High Beech, it’s the only settlement inside Epping Forest and despite the area being only 11 miles or so from central London, it is very rural. It’s well known to the people of East London and south west Essex, for ancient...
  22. D

Made-Up Ghost Stories

What causes people to make up Ghost stories and pass them off as genuine..? My mother who was close to retirement and working for a well-known high street store, made up a story of the green lady of the stock room, to the young shop assistants. My Mother retired a few months later, but now...
  23. D

Dummy The Witch

At the bottom of my front garden, is a brook, beyond that the main road that runs through my village, and beyond that a long since abandoned pub. In the 1860’s a drunken mob of men and women, attacked a local cunning man ( who was nicknamed Dummy the Witch by the villages ) in the now disused...
  24. D

Book Search

Greetings all I am new to this site so please bear with me. I am searching for an intriguing little book that was probably published sometime in the 1980’s. The book was taken out on loan by my then girlfriend from East Ham public library circa 1994 or 1995. I always remembered the book to be...
Back