• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Reverend D

Bugs, Insects & Creepy Crawlies

That could be them! Very interesting read, I'd never heard of those till now!
  2. Reverend D

Thanks for the link, but these things didn't (I think) have as segmented a body as that one.
  3. Reverend D

I saw some unfamiliar insects earlier today- slightly larger than wasp-sized, jet black and with a tail or stinger handing down underneath. They seemed to just be hovering around tall grass, loads of them. Anyone know what they could have been? Here's a pic of one that was either dead or...
  4. Reverend D

Contour Lines

That's it! Thank you so much, sir!
  5. Reverend D

Contour Lines

Can anyone help with this? Many years ago, I was shown by someone outdoorsy how to translate contour lines from a map into a side-on outline of the hill itself. Unless he was making it up and trying to impress me, this guy was able to use the individual contour lines to gradually build...
  6. Reverend D

James Bond

I'm always fascinated that Patrick McGoohan was offered the role of Bond. If his strong sense of morals, which apparently prevented him taking on the part*, could have been overcome, I could imagine him playing Bond as a restrained maniac only ever seconds from either saving the world or...
  7. Reverend D

Peculiar (And Lost) 'Wisdom' & Advice From Our Elders

That car salesman is still having nightmares about that time he let me test drive a car...
  8. Reverend D

Dunno, but that's what the older person told me- and that's the point of the thread!
  9. Reverend D

What Is Hell Like?

I heard the author Tobias Churton on a podcast earlier today explain that eternal damnation of the soul isn't a case of extending the period of damnation out of sadism, but rather that because the soul was believed to be eternal, any punishment that lasted less than eternity would not be an...
  10. Reverend D

Commercially available potions for the curing of coughs. Typically sold in a bottle.
  11. Reverend D

The Bibliophilia Thread

That third image in particular is absolutely gorgeous.
  12. Reverend D

I was advised by an older relative to always have a cough bottle in the fridge in case it's needed at short notice. Decades later, I still always keep (an unopened) one in the fridge and replace it if it's used.
  13. Reverend D

Amusing Misunderstandings About Place-Names (Nothing To Do With The Olympics)

There's also a place called Findo Gask, which I would have sworn was a minor character in Return of the Jedi...
  14. Reverend D

Local & Dialect Words

Has anyone ever heard the word "giggs" being used to express mild disgust? Before anyone suggests it, it's nothing to do with Ryan Giggs, as the only person I've ever heard use it was an old woman who lived next door to us when I was a child in the late 70s/early 80s- of she saw me covered in...
  15. Reverend D

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Just woke up from a dream where BB King owned a gift shop in my area and closed the shop to come and help me out when a cat was giving birth in my house.
  16. Reverend D

Daphne (or at least the actress who played her) was in an episode of Seinfeld a few years before Frasier and used the exact same accent!
  17. Reverend D

The Mandela Effect: False Memory

I have been pondering for some time of I'm a victim of the Mandela Effect as I've been combing Google Maps searching for a section of the North Wales coast with a very distinctive outcrop of rock that I visited more than 30 years ago, to no avail. At the weekend though, I read that the area...
  18. Reverend D

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I've sometimes wondered if I have a mild case of face-blindness. At school, I used to meet up with my friends after classes in the street outside, which was always busy. I used to watch for and pick out their schoolbags in the crowd, rather than their faces. I've also at least twice...
  19. Reverend D

Oak Island Money Pit

Bet they never had any embarrassing nicknames at school.
  20. Reverend D

FT430

Wonder what happened to the article on Arthur C C Clarke's World of Strange Powers that was in the next issue tease of #429. Hopefully it'll turn up in an upcoming issue!
  21. Reverend D

The Calvine UFO Sighting (Scotland; August 1990)

It occurred to me today that should the MOD have wanted to confiscate any photos or negatives from the Daily Record at the time, it would only be a 5 minute walk to the Record building from the Glasgow MOD office...
  22. Reverend D

Rules For Breakfast Cereal & Masturbation: The Proud Boys Manual/Training

If they wanted the cereal-eaters to masturbate less, they should have made them wear a glove made out of Frosties.
  23. Reverend D

Latest Reports Of UFO Sightings

I think one of Timothy Good's books had a comment from someone who said the lights are a by-product of how the crafts are energised rather than intentional illumination....
  24. Reverend D

Latest Reports Of UFO Sightings

Copied from Twitter.
  25. Reverend D

Culture Of Fear At UFO Bonnybridge?

Thank you for the info Gordon! Hopefully there will be a great turn out.
  26. Reverend D

Culture Of Fear At UFO Bonnybridge?

My opinion is that Malcolm's books could do with an editor to polish up the prose a bit, but honestly, even in print he comes across as such a likeable and genuine guy that I even feel bad saying that.
  27. Reverend D

Famous Last Words

Pretty sure that was the Master out of Dr Who.
  28. Reverend D

Famous Last Words

Cozy Powell's last words were "oh shit", according to his girlfriend who he was on the phone to at the time of his fatal crash.
  29. Reverend D

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

Thanks Iris, and sorry it took me so long to acknowledge your helpful post! :)
  30. Reverend D

Are We Really Fatter Nowadays?

Thinking back to the late 70s and early 80s, I don't remember too many people who were more than slightly overweight. The changes that I see in society are probably more processed food and less physically active jobs. But then there are many, many people these days who eat diets claimed to...
  31. Reverend D

Where Does It Come From? Origins Of Phrases & Expressions

I've always understood this sense of the word to mean one of those horrible splits in the skin that can be caused when your hands dry out excessively.
  32. Reverend D

The Defibrillator Theory

You're obviously more polite than me, as I was about to call them Shite Said Fred.
  33. Reverend D

Nope. It'd be downhill on the way back. :beer::rollingw:
  34. Reverend D

I find it easier to believe in almost any UFO conspiracy than I do that anyone could get from the Daily Record building to the Atholl pub in 8 minutes.
  35. Reverend D

Local & Dialect Words

And the best thing about the word 'outwith' is that most Scots are genuinely perplexed when we realise that others aren't familiar with the word!
  36. Reverend D

Fortean Podcasts

One I've just stumbled across (actually saw it mentioned in the Sunday Past) that I don't think has been mentioned on here is The Interruption, a podcast investigating the Vrillon voice that interrupted British telly back in the 70s, and claims to have found an answer. All the episodes are...
  37. Reverend D

DVD Release Of FORTEAN TV With Reverend Lionel Fanthorpe!

Tell you what I would LOVE to see. Revd Fanthorpe presenting a new show, Fortean TV Update, where he revisits stories from the original show. What happened to the Virgin Mary shaped pork scratching? Where are the couple now who had their - in the words of the gentleman concerned- "sexual...
  38. Reverend D

Dreamed I was in an indoor market with the most amazing second-hand book stall ever. I can clearly remember looking through some boxes of books on the floor and being incredulous at some of the treasures I was finding.
  39. Reverend D

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

He has the hair and face of a cherub but the eyes of a KGB interrogator. Great actor!
  40. Reverend D

The Loch Ness Monster

I must admit that seeing a guy who looks like Grimly Feendish is of more interest to me than the documentary!
  41. Reverend D

Modern Mating Methods: Dating Services & Strategies

I went on a blind date once with a lady who turned up completely drunk, wearing tracksuit trousers with a suit jacket, and walked into a wall. It actually ended up being a pretty good night though.
  42. Reverend D

Having A Small Penis And Driving A Sports Car May Be Linked After All

Didn't think that through tbh, but I'd imagine an automatic is less of a challenge than a manual.
  43. Reverend D

Nonsense. All it takes is some surgical tape and strong hip muscles.
  44. Reverend D

It feels to me like the person who thought up this study had a point to prove to someone.
  45. Reverend D

Aah, it's now showing me that figure too. No idea what happened there, maybe poltergeists are now able to influence software the way they used to throw plates around! Thanks for your help and reply though Gordon! Much appreciated.
  46. Reverend D

Are our post counts frozen now? Mine hasn't changed in a few days despite me posting my usual pointless bilge several times since then.
  47. Reverend D

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

Who knows, being a compulsive liar makes it hard to keep track of what way round my fabricated biographies should be.
  48. Reverend D

Dead pets returning to life. Again.
  49. Reverend D

Missing In Action: Members Who've Gone Silent / Haven't Been Seen For Some Time

I'd like my obituary to read 'Reverend D, polymath, athlete, intellectual, genius, male model and compulsive liar'
  50. Reverend D

DVD Release Of FORTEAN TV With Reverend Lionel Fanthorpe!

Every episode is better than the last: I've just watched a woman meowing a fairy tale about a cat eating its own severed testicles, in an episode that began with Lionel Fanthorpe introducing the clip from a hospital morgue.
Back