• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. Bad Bungle

Metal Detectoring

Gold and old silver go down great on Youtube clips but these are not common finds for the typical detectorist and it is usually bits that barely escape the scrap-pouch that saves the day. Anyway, three finds (not Youtube worthy) from last week. The first are shotgun cartridges (shotties), the...
  2. Bad Bungle

Great Quotations

"Courage is knowing it might hurt and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. That's why life is hard." Jeremy Goldberg.
  3. Bad Bungle

The Optical Illusions Thread

AI just doesn't seem able to get hands right
  4. Bad Bungle

Curious Phobias & Irrational Fears

There was a story a few years back of a dog called Pandora that dug up a set of dentures in the back garden and padded around with them in her mouth.
  5. Bad Bungle

Movie Mandela Effect

Not a big fan of Steve Martin and I only rented a VHS copy of 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' (1988) because of a scene in the trailer (on another tape) where he casually pushed a lady off the quay. Recall nothing of the film itself but do remember looking out for the scene and oddly not seeing it...
  6. Bad Bungle

O, To Be In England...

I visited Dunvegan Castle on Skye 20 years ago - there was moss hanging down from the tree branches.
  7. Bad Bungle

Forgotten History

But so many deaths - horrific. My favourite disease has always been the Purples - would have loved to use that to pull a sickie.
  8. Bad Bungle

What's The Most Boring Fortean Subject?

Yes of course the reader is interpreting the meaning of the cards Aydee, but if the querent is not subconsciously selecting or touching the cards then surely it is the reader's future being examined.
  9. Bad Bungle

It is my limited understanding that the subject is subconsciously selecting pertinent cards when they do the shuffle. Tarot readings by email or down the phone thus makes no sense to me if the reader is shuffling for the client. Likewise you can't do remote viewing if you don't know where the...
  10. Bad Bungle

Quit whilst you're ahead.
  11. Bad Bungle

Metal Detectoring

Small change is generically called Roman bronzes ie no silver, but looks shiny given how long it has been in the ground for.
  12. Bad Bungle

Metal Detectoring

Another little Roman coin from last week - a 'common' Camp Gate (get you) from Constantine the Great (~325 AD) that came up well with a little rubbing on the Knee of Destiny. Also another crotal bell (late 18th C) and my first sleigh bell, battered but both are ringers.
  13. Bad Bungle

O, To Be In England...

Drip, drip, drop Little April shower Beating a tune as you fall all around ..
  14. Bad Bungle

Curious Phobias & Irrational Fears

According to Wiki, Fred Goodwin's "hatred of mess and any form of disorder" led to the bank implementing sloping-top filing cabinets to prevent employees from placing items on top on them.
  15. Bad Bungle

Metal Detectoring

Found a bit of Victorian tut in the mud, pressed copper-alloy adornment of some sort. It's incomplete but you can join up the outer loops if interested in embroidery pattern ideas or making your own jewellery.
  16. Bad Bungle

Modern Urban Legends?

I remember an expert on the Roadshow taking a swig from a 250 year old bottle of Medeira that had been recovered from a shipwreck - but it wasn't McConnell and must have been long before 2016.
  17. Bad Bungle

Science Fiction: Films & TV

The 45th anniversary of Starcrash popped up on MSN pockets - bouffant Hoff, plummy Plummer, Caroline Munroe in a leather bikini on an Ice planet - how could I have possibly missed that one ? Yet I remember the bit at the end of the trailer when the torpedoes burst into the ship and the troopers...
  18. Bad Bungle

I was watching repeats of Weird or What? on Blaze and Shatner was looking at the formation of perfectly circular discs of ice (which were nice). The 'obvious' similarity to crop circles was almost immediately dismissed because they had been proven to be a hoax in 1993. Yet the week before on...
  19. Bad Bungle

Modern Urban Legends?

There was a question posted on my Metal Detecting forum a few months ago concerning a Pilgrim Ampulla. I've whittered on about these previously in the Detectoring thread : sealed lead alloy pouches containing oil that were hung on shrines. The oil became sanctified by the prayers and devotions...
  20. Bad Bungle

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Was lying in bed this morning listening to the rain and very reluctant to get up. Must have drifted off because I woke up on a bus and wrapped in a blanket. Wandered around town with a straight back and a jaunt in my step so people would think the blanket was a fashion statement and not that I...
  21. Bad Bungle

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

If any woman was ever prepared to put their hand in my pocket, I wouldn't devote so much of my time on this forum.
  22. Bad Bungle

Is The Planet Mars Ruled By A Race Of Beavers? (And A Giant Barometer To Boot)

There would have to be something to dam.
  23. Bad Bungle

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Wouldn't consider a votive offering of Mjollnir to be that crappy on my digs.
  24. Bad Bungle

Weirdness On A Walk

On the farside of the valley was large woodland that marked the edge of my roaming territory. I rarely went there because of the distance and also 'cos it was mainly boring Forestry Commision, although it had hidden spots and grassy glades. Last went in my early teens with a fat old labrador and...
  25. Bad Bungle

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Random manifestation of small objects deep in the lining-fluff of my recently emptied coat pocket. This is not forgetfulness (I've never had a charm bracelet - unless I've forgotten), no idea where they came from - I'll add them to the pile.
  26. Bad Bungle

Metal Detectoring

I was on a Roman field on Sunday and everyone was getting lovely finds - except me. I don't know why - ah well, at least I had a lovely 7 hour walk in wellies. Headed back to the car in the gathering dusk and was debating whether to dig a 20th shottie signal when I saw the coin lying on the...
  27. Bad Bungle

Modern Urban Legends?

Nah, I could have said I saw a wedding ring retrieved from a finger in a pie - but very difficult to start a UL before Internet and social forums (1979) and my mates were too intelligent for that kind of BS.
  28. Bad Bungle

Fortean Headlines

Heathen.
  29. Bad Bungle

Modern Urban Legends?

In the late '70s, a big employer in the Amersham area was the Bowyers Meat Factory. As a school-leaver I was helping to install a new cold-room and noticed a gallery next to the Refectory. This was a display of the actual items found in meat pies returned as Customer complaints. The usual bits...
  30. Bad Bungle

Crotal Bell

Got a ringer on Sunday - not the oldest I've found by a long way but it's complete.
  31. Bad Bungle

I was on a large metal detectoring Rally and felt socially-confident enough to show 'n' tell my modest finds to a field of strangers. It became apparent over introductions that about a 100 people were members of this forum - I don't know any of you by sight but recognised forum names (not just...
  32. Bad Bungle

It was sunny and I was on a relaxing walk in the countryside, reluctantly contemplating the two mile return journey. In the meadow was a river that I knew flowed right past the car-park, so I stepped in and floated downstream on my back. Water was warm and I was joined by a charming American...
  33. Bad Bungle

'Earworms' & Stuck-Tune Syndrome

Tried to find a track a few years ago that had no lyrics but some whistling in it. I liked the whistling but Google is not as helpful as it likes to think. By luck heard the snippet a second time as background music on an episode of Top Gear. Naturally some-one had set up a site listing all the...
  34. Bad Bungle

A regular track in my Morrisons was ... been through the desert on a horse with no name. It felt so good to be out of the rain ... la la la la la ...
  35. Bad Bungle

Think that music also featured in Shaun of the Dead - presumably deliberately. Difficulty for me is finding a title for something totally instrumental. Took years to track down this earworm ..
  36. Bad Bungle

Warhorses In History: Not As Large As Previously Believed?

I've only just realised today (Wiki) that Cortes was responsible for the introduction of the wild horses to the American mainland, where they were so readily adopted by the native Indians.
  37. Bad Bungle

Warhorses In History: Not As Large As Previously Believed?

It is possible that horses were bred to be bigger once they started replacing Oxen in pulling a plough. Problem with the bovine yoke/harness was that it put pressure on the chest muscles and restricted breathing. The horse (different physiology) harnesses introduced to Britain in the Middle Ages...
  38. Bad Bungle

I was riding home on my scooter and realised I was wearing my beanie hat instead of a helmet - then noticing a police car in the traffic behind me. As everyone knows, ony plain-clothed officers are allowed to ride without a helmet, but I couldn't remember if I was one. Plan was to slip away and...
  39. Bad Bungle

World's First Eye Transplant

All together now: 'Gary don't need his eyes to see, Gary and his eyes have parted company'
  40. Bad Bungle

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Every Englishman lives in a castle - didn't you know ? That's why we're always moaning about the damp and drafts.
  41. Bad Bungle

Fortean Gifts & Presents

What I really want (for myself) are some Masonic marbles, but I can't find anyone prepared to sell them to me.
  42. Bad Bungle

The Luck Of The Devil

I was toying with the notion of getting a new coil for my detector (£240), but as it wasn't in stock I sensibly booked my car in for a full service (£240) instead. After wandering around Aylesbury for five hours at -2C with a dead phone, I returned to the garage to find the bill was now £750...
  43. Bad Bungle

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Always look their best with no leaves on.
  44. Bad Bungle

Things We're Leaving That May Confuse Future Archaeologists

Reminds me of a recent prog on Blaze with their startling conclusion that golden hat-shaped objects from the mid-Bronxe Age may have been worn as hats. Even more of a revelation from the website below is the passage: "Their conical design mimics the well-known image of a witch’s or wizard’s hat...
  45. Bad Bungle

Metal Detectoring

Spot price for silver yesterday ~ £1.30. Think I'll keep it to tweak my settings in the sitting room.
  46. Bad Bungle

Things We're Leaving That May Confuse Future Archaeologists

Saw a prog on the Neolithic/Bronze Age - curse my poor memory - where a comment was made that archaeologists ascribe any unknown artifact as probably being either ritual or religious - without knowing what religion or rites were practiced then. Scroll forward to future archaeologists uncovering...
  47. Bad Bungle

Metal Detectoring

Very poor pickings on a Club Dig yesterday so I was stunned when a silver hammered coin came up amongst the trash. Well it was definitely silver (black as coal) and hammered, but not a coin. My Club director and his 4 year old son said they could see a heart on one side, I see different things...
  48. Bad Bungle

Roman Archaeology (Miscellaneous)

One of the rabbit holes I fell down recently on the internet was 'How long did Roman coins stay in circulation ?'. One of the Thermopoliums (hot food outlet) discovered at Pompeii had a bowl containing thousands of bronze coins on the front counter, representing several days of trading. It is...
  49. Bad Bungle

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

Mourning clothes worn by count Magnus Brahe at the funeral of king Karl XIV Johan of Sweden in 1844. Class.
Back